KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Which tier-tourney do you prefer?

Which tier-tourney do you prefer?
Started by: Bentley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

Which tier-tourney do you prefer?

When having a tourney what kind of character would you rather use?

- Street level.
- Meta level.
- Herald level.
- Multi-levels (point systems or stuff).
- Amalgams.

And while we are at it, which ones do you hate? wink

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post May 10th, 2010 12:54 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Multi-levels, and amalgams.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 01:39 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I had a fairly good experience with Kahn/Batdude's High Herald Tourney. Most of my favorite characters are in that tier, so it's easier for me to debate.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 01:40 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i like all levels of tournaments. i DON'T like point systems and rules that are overly complex. i prefer little to no prep, but feel all right using either format. tourneys are a blast.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 02:14 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

High Meta, only because I'm more versed in characters at that level than any other.

No amalgams, very little prep.

I do enjoy point-based systems, though they're very, very hard to pull off well. I actually thought delph's tourney (at high meta, ironically) pulled it off well.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 02:23 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

The levels of creativity are surprisingly high in the Meta Class.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 03:21 AM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord_Talron
The Lion's Roar

id prefer street level as i could put real world knowledge to my advantage, not to mention some of my favs are streets

Old Post May 10th, 2010 05:15 AM
Lord_Talron is currently offline Click here to Send Lord_Talron a Private Message Find more posts by Lord_Talron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord_Talron
id prefer street level as i could put real world knowledge to my advantage

Believe me, that's been tried and it doesn't work.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 05:25 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

High meta and below, teams and/or amalgams.

Limited/zero prep (in terms of building gadgets or bringing in all powerful toys)

I don't like rules that allow knowledge/abilities/weapoens/whatever being carried from one round to another as it gives unique and often unfair advantages on occasion.

Do you even KMC???

Last edited by Scoobless on May 10th, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Old Post May 10th, 2010 10:13 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by King Kandy
Believe me, that's been tried and it doesn't work.

Indeed. That does not, however, mean that is wouldn't be hilarious and awesome to see it tried again.

Originally posted by Scoobless
High meta and below, teams and/or amalgams.

Limited/zero prep (in terms of building gadgets or bringing in all powerful toys)

I don't like rules that allow knowledge/abilities/weapoens/whatever being carried from one round to another as it gives unique and often unfair advantages on occasion.

In general, I agree. I tried to make the "potential loopholes" list as comprehensive as possible in the guide for tourney directors, so that a tourney host attempting to eliminate such powers doesn't accidentally miss some that can then be exploited.

Some tourneys have encouraged such insanity, however, and it's also been fun. Just more work, and it generally turns into whose prep the judges believe more, not who debates better or has the better squad.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 01:55 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Meta level-Herald Level w/amalgams.

Meta level has a huge amount of characters to choose from and the herald level is always fun due to extensive powersets.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post May 10th, 2010 02:02 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ambient
MAJIN_OVERLORD

Yeah i got to say high meta/herald level or amalgam, there are so many ways you could exploit them due to higher power set/level..

My Artwork

Old Post May 10th, 2010 05:15 PM
Ambient is currently offline Click here to Send Ambient a Private Message Find more posts by Ambient Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Nah, anything past meta just gets silly. Anything more than about 30 seconds prep and you don't even have a chance unless you're bringing multiple world-busting prep ideas. And they're also the least accessible tourneys to newer members regardless of prep.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 07:59 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I had a fairly good experience with Kahn/Batdude's High Herald Tourney. Most of my favorite characters are in that tier, so it's easier for me to debate.

If I were ever in a tourney, it'd probably be a HH tier tourney, too. For the same reason you listed.

I also think the point-system tournies look really fun and interesting. Would seem that drafts get more complex and...strategic?

Old Post May 10th, 2010 08:00 PM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Enyalus
If I were ever in a tourney, it'd probably be a HH tier tourney, too. For the same reason you listed.

I also think the point-system tournies look really fun and interesting. Would seem that drafts get more complex and...strategic?

Yes, but there's also greater potential for exploitation, because it's impossible for a host to foresee all the permutations his point system allows. The system itself can become the loophole, even if specific "loophole" powers (duplication, speed force, power copying, etc.) are banned.

I love point system tourneys, so don't misunderstand. They're just trickier to pull of well.

Old Post May 10th, 2010 08:15 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by Digi
Yes, but there's also greater potential for exploitation, because it's impossible for a host to foresee all the permutations his point system allows. The system itself can become the loophole, even if specific "loophole" powers (duplication, speed force, power copying, etc.) are banned.

Yes, but as I would be the one doing the uber exploiting, I would be cool with it. big grin cool

Old Post May 10th, 2010 09:30 PM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Enyalus
Yes, but as I would be the one doing the uber exploiting, I would be cool with it. big grin cool

Everyone thinks that.

stick out tongue

Old Post May 10th, 2010 10:29 PM
King Kandy

Originally posted by Digi

I love point system tourneys, so don't misunderstand. They're just trickier to pull of well.

Even a bad point system can be fun. People definitely haven't looked well on Evangel's tourney that tried it first, but I still think that was the best tourney I was in.

Old Post May 11th, 2010 12:59 AM
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

^ which one?

Old Post May 11th, 2010 01:04 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Um, the one that was point based. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post May 11th, 2010 01:05 AM