KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » No one is world famous

No one is world famous
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

No one is world famous

By its definition world fame is impossible, for anyone or anything.
There are whole groups of people who wouldnt know the US President, the Pope, Lady GaGa, the Mona Lisa, etc etc if they saw them.

That said:
What do we really mean by the term?

What's the minimum number of people knowing something/one needed to be considered world famous?

Is it just being known in certain parts of the world that can get something/one the status?

What parts of the world, if any, dont matter, to being world famous?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 02:27 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

World famous simply means that people from all over the world know who they are.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 03:53 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Do you really get to know anyone in your lifetime anyways? Knowing the shape or the title of a person is really just a shell of an arquetype of a person, fame has very little to do with an actual human being, let alone an actual world thumb up

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 04:37 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I would say Superman is world famous. I had heard a while back that the "S" shield is the 3rd most widely recognized symbol in the world, following the Christian Cross, then the Red Cross. Except perhaps for the most remote, tech-backwards parts of the planet, tie a towel around a child's neck, and immediately you know who he "is."

Also, I had heard that Muhammad Ali was very, very well known the world over.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 05:22 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Superman, Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes are the 3 most famous people that never lived....

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 06:55 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Re: No one is world famous

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672

What's the minimum number of people knowing something/one needed to be considered world famous?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 07:11 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I think you mean the number of licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop...laughing

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 07:25 PM
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

I read a book about this a long time ago.

World famous will be

Jesus, Hitler and Superman

Kind of feel bad about putting a religious figure like Jesus alongside Hitler or Superman.

But separating religious ideology from anything else

In most parts of the world

Their images and symbols will be recognized

And I think the term "world famous" will refer to the "civilized" world separating the little villages on remote regions of the world

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Last edited by Rao Kal El on Oct 4th, 2014 at 08:47 PM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 08:44 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by riv6672
Superman, Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes are the 3 most famous people that never lived....

Really? I'd think Mario could beat Tarzan at some point.

Originally posted by Rao Kal El
I read a book about this a long time ago.

World famous will be

Jesus, Hitler and Superman

Kind of feel bad about putting a religious figure like Jesus alongside Hitler or Superman.

But separating religious ideology from anything else

In most parts of the world

Their images and symbols will be recognized

And I think the term "world famous" will refer to the "civilized" world separating the little villages on remote regions of the world

To be fair, Hitler kind of wanted to become a mesianic figure, and many would argue Superman is sort of a modern take on Jesus. The christian cross was the symbol that went with several huge empire over centuries, so it makes sense for it to be very widthspread.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 08:48 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Originally posted by Bentley
Really? I'd think Mario could beat Tarzan at some point.

To be fair, Hitler kind of wanted to become a mesianic figure, and many would argue Superman is sort of a modern take on Jesus. The christian cross was the symbol that went with several huge empire over centuries, so it makes sense for it to be very widthspread.

Yep and it is kind of incredible that after more than 50 of his death We are still drawn and fascinated with his story.

I think he was a major @sshole but can't deny how much he influenced the modern world.

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 08:58 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Michael Jackson is.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 09:02 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Rao Kal El
I think he was a major @sshole but can't deny how much he influenced the modern world.
IIRC, about 14 years ago he was one of Time magazine's contenders for Man of the Century.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 09:05 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

And he WAS man of the year once. '38 or '39 i think?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 09:17 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Mindship
IIRC, about 14 years ago he was one of Time magazine's contenders for Man of the Century.

He should have won. Can't think of a single person from the 20th century who had more of an impact on it.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2014 02:25 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Omega Vision
He should have won. Can't think of a single person from the 20th century who had more of an impact on it.
You mean aside from Micheal Jackson.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 6th, 2014 03:06 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Y'all are forgetting Mickey Mouse. Here in the States, he's collectively got more write-in votes for President than several actual candidates. He might be the most well-known fictional character in the world.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2014 03:35 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Much as i'd like to believe it, the US is not the world...sad wink

Old Post Oct 6th, 2014 06:24 AM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Digi
Y'all are forgetting Mickey Mouse. Here in the States, he's collectively got more write-in votes for President than several actual candidates. He might be the most well-known fictional character in the world.

That's Donald Duck's sidekick, right?

Old Post Oct 6th, 2014 07:53 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

You're thinking of Bugs Bunny. Daffy Duck's sidekick.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2014 08:21 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Omega Vision

The Wright brothers did develop the basis for the weapons that defined World War 2. You could argue that without air transport entire decades of post-war economy would be entirely different.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2014 09:12 AM