KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » So how strong is Canon Luke?

So how strong is Canon Luke?
Started by: Total Warrior

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

So how strong is Canon Luke?

So?

Old Post Oct 8th, 2019 06:32 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Compared to the Current Canon? I mean I guess he could be in the Top 10 at the least.

Compared overall in the history of SW? He's kinda low imo.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2019 09:05 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

That's kinda depressing

Old Post Oct 8th, 2019 10:37 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

We know virtually nothing about the depths of canon Luke's abilities right now. He had acquired an IMMENSE wealth of knowledge from which to build his power around, though -- and I'm not just talking about his time with Yoda.

In theory, he would've had knowledge on... Just about everything there is to know about the force in canon.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Old Post Oct 9th, 2019 12:25 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Really? Because remember those Holy Jedi texts bores him “page turners they were not hmm”

Now of course Rey will read those books start to finish, and learn every secret. Watch this space for the true legacy of the Jedi to be left in Reys hands.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2019 02:46 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

One of the best traits Luke had in the OT is that he's not an effing tryhard, he tries to enjoy life, have fun and is not a zealot of the Force. Rey is a lot more rigid than Luke (Finn is the more loose character in this trilogy)

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 9th, 2019 02:52 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ Really? Because remember those Holy Jedi texts bores him "page turners they were not hmm"

Now of course Rey will read those books start to finish, and learn every secret. Watch this space for the true legacy of the Jedi to be left in Reys hands.
In the comics we see that Luke eventually finds Jocasta Nu's makeshift 'school' and trove of Holocrons:
https://i.imgur.com/Ch9B5YU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ihWmjjP.jpg

And before her death, Jocasta had recorded ALL of her knowledge(pertaining to the Jedi/Sith, and Force in general) onto these Holocrons in hopes of restarting the Jedi Order from scratch:
https://i.imgur.com/NQOMOYy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ucgXQeG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n36At5M.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fOJNGEb.jpg

And in the same arc, Palpatine himself confirmed the ridiculous extent of Jocasta's knowledge:
https://i.imgur.com/Tfwy2Ug.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/S5cV8FD.jpg
"Jocasta Nu knows everything [...] Not just secrets of the light side of the Force. The dark side as well. Secrets that were not theirs to keep. Secrets even of the ancient Sith. Jocasta knows them all."

...And this is aside from Luke scouring the galaxy(post-RotJ) for any and all ancient Force-related relics/texts he could get his hands on, in search of finding the origin of the Jedi/Force.

So yeah, theoretically his knowledge of the Force should have been absolutely immense. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 17th, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Old Post Oct 9th, 2019 03:20 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Figured it was worth mentioning that two separate novels have now mentioned Luke pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky during the Battle of Jakku...

quote:
A jolt, as though the entire Star Destroyer had been picked up by a giant hand and slammed against the ground. My teeth and bones rattled. My vision swam. My ears filled with a high-pitched, incessant drone. The bridge went dark: the overhead lights, the viewscreens, the blinking lights on the banks of consoles, even the emergency lighting strips in the floor. All around us was the darkness of space; the faint, heartless glow of distant stars; and the dim radiance of heated, thin upper-atmosphere air against the bridge windows. My ears popped. Then I heard the inhuman, deafening metallic roar and screech of a ship dying in space.

The gravity generators failed, and we experienced the sensation of free fall as our bodies lifted off the deck. My crewmates and I screamed until we could not catch our breaths. The noise no longer sounded like living screams but an eerie replacement for the throbbing of the engines, which had suddenly been silenced. The ship slowed, drifted, stopped, and then the stark, lifeless surface of Jakku swung into view, filling the windows, and we fell.

Scrambling, shoving, kicking, somehow I made my way to one of the escape pods and strapped myself in. The only thought in my mind before I lost consciousness amid the screeching and groaning of struts and bulkheads strained to their limits was this: "We couldn't have lost; we shouldn't have lost; this was not a fair fight."

-The Legends of Luke Skywalker
quote:
It is said that Luke Skywalker--at the Battle of Jakku--he used the Force to reach into the sky and pull down the Empire's ships! The battle's victory belonged to him, that's what they say.

-Force Collector
quote:
Karr was thrown by the Clone Wars comment since he had hoped to hear more about the Jedi Skywalker pulling ships from the sky, but he was happy they had access nonetheless.

-Force Collector
quote:
Now more than ever he wished he had the power to pull ships from the sky the way Skywalker was rumored to have done.

-Force Collector
quote:
"Do you know anything about a Jedi named Skywalker who supposedly pulled ships down from the sky during the fight with the Empire here?"
...The old woman nodded.

-Force Collector

Granted, these are just the recollections/stories of a few random characters in the SW galaxy, but it's interesting that two different canon sources have mentioned this feat.

And tbh, it's not entirely without precedent. In the comics Luke was able to shake an entire Star Destroyer with a single TK attack:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

...And that was pre-ESB Luke, who had virtually NO formalized Jedi training whatsoever.

Again, the quotes certainly aren't irrefutable... They're just some food for thought.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2019 07:25 PM
ares834

You know, it sure would have been nice to see this kinda shit in TLJ...

Old Post Nov 21st, 2019 07:27 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

No not really. Power creep is gay.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2019 07:38 PM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by ares834
You know, it sure would have been nice to see this kinda shit in TLJ...
Yes it would have. Even if it was just a random comment like the ones galan posted. SOMETHING that actually built Luke's character [and power] a bit would have been nice to get in the movies.

Originally posted by NemeBro
You must have REALLY hated Legends Luke then. laughing

Last edited by Sheev on Nov 21st, 2019 at 07:50 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2019 07:46 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by NemeBro

I mean pulling SDs out of the sky would be a bit much, but I would have liked to see a Luke who was, you know, powerful. At least on par with the greatest of the CW Jedi like Anakin or Yoda.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2019 07:50 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Johnson really did an awful job

Old Post Nov 21st, 2019 08:13 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Disney ruined Luke Skywalker in canon unfortunately. Luke could be an intimidating presence and warrior but he just disappeared because of failing Kylo Ren? What is this? It is like as if they had no story to tell about Luke.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Nov 22nd, 2019 at 08:16 AM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2019 08:13 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Almost like it had already been told over 30 years ago.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2019 08:33 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Yeah, I don’t like the Yuzhang Vong but rather than this copy-paste of the original trilogy, they should brought them in the movie. Rather than have the Empire again as the villain, they should have had New republic + Imperial remnants vs Yuzhang Vong. Finn could have been of the imperial stormtroopers who momentarily are allied with the republic, Luke should have been the Grand Master of the small order who is still re-building itself after the purge, Kylo Ren could have still been the nephew who fell to the dark side and is now helping the Vong. Rey shoudn’t exist, or rather have her be one of Luke’s Jedi students, but no bullshit about her having potential or learning stuff in a few weeks. No Leia flying, no Death Star no.3, no useless Snoke (replaced by the Vong Leader) etc etc

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2019 09:51 AM
Darth Thor

An Heir to the Empire type story except with obviously an older Leia, Luke, Han could have worked...

Or what would have been ideal is a Harry Potter style Jedi Academy focusing on younger students, and Luke and Leia would be the headmasters, Jedi Council.

But oh no we dont want to focus on young kids because of Phantom Menace.. Stay Away Stay Away.

But pretty much anything would have been better than remaking the OT and calling it the ST. While butchering OG characters in the process.

And of course a cohesive story that was planned from the beginning would have helped too.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Nov 22nd, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2019 11:31 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

I really do wonder how Abrams prepared to create Episode 7. Did he read any SW material? Because to me it seems like he really had no idea what to do

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2019 11:44 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Total Warrior
Did he read any SW material?

Of course not.

He was a *fan* of the OT movies only. Not the PT or the EU or TCW.

Funnily enough Rian Johnson has read some EU stuff, given he got the idea of Lukes Force projection from Dark Empire.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2019 12:12 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Man, if you are paid 4 millions to make a movie you should at least read a few comics on the era you going to set it into. Otherwise I could do it myself for only 1 million because I’m humble

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2019 01:26 PM