KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If we could read each other's Mind

If we could read each other's Mind
Started by: alltoomany

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
alltoomany

If we could read each other's Mind

What we do with our self? You would what I was thinking..

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2011 02:54 AM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Society would have completely different rules to the point I'm not sure we can even imagine what the world would be like.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2011 05:16 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Men would no longer be able to pretend they're women on the internet.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2011 01:09 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

HAHAHAHAHHA

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2011 01:33 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

We wouldn't need the net anymore. If everyone knew what everyone else thinks and feels..there would be no reason for the news..
Would we be at peace?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 12:37 AM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by alltoomany
Would we be at peace?
Did we evolve with this ability? Or did it come on us suddenly?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 02:21 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

The world would be a terrible place to live. You'd be in bed sleeping, and the Thought Police would show up, and have you breaking rocks until your time was served. Never mind thinking how great someone looked, your thoughts would be out in the open, and if the person you were crushing on had a significant other... Oh boy.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 06:40 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Stoic
The world would be a terrible place to live. You'd be in bed sleeping, and the Thought Police would show up, and have you breaking rocks until your time was served. Never mind thinking how great someone looked, your thoughts would be out in the open, and if the person you were crushing on had a significant other... Oh boy.

Dude, there is no way we would allow a Thought Police to exist if we could read their thoughts.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 07:23 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

Originally posted by Mindship

I believe that we did have this ability but something happened over time and we lost most of the ability

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 06:28 PM
Omega Vision

I can't remember which philosopher first posed the thought experiment of two beings which knew and experienced all of each other's thoughts, feelings, and memories (Descartes perhaps?) and as a result were only distinguishable in the sense that they inhabited different points of space.

The more I think of this question the more it seems like such a world wouldn't really have individuality, at least not as we know it.

There'd be no need for a thought police, and even if such a thing existed you'd know they were coming for you before they got there.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 06:32 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I can't remember which philosopher first posed the thought experiment of two beings which knew and experienced all of each other's thoughts, feelings, and memories (Descartes perhaps?) and as a result were only distinguishable in the sense that they inhabited different points of space.

The more I think of this question the more it seems like such a world wouldn't really have individuality, at least not as we know it.

There'd be no need for a thought police, and even if such a thing existed you'd know they were coming for you before they got there.

maybe we would be as One?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 06:43 PM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by alltoomany
maybe we would be as One?

It reminds me of a race of aliens from a story I wrote a few years ago. They'd developed incredibly sophisticated cybernetic telepathy that (via subspace relays) could support instantaneous communication between the entire society.

When one was separated from the network by some humans he barely had an individual personality to speak of and fell into a coma soon after. I think at that point I'd just read Nietzsche so I was big on the idea of herd consciousness.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 06:48 PM
alltoomany

Originally posted by Omega Vision
It reminds me of a race of aliens from a story I wrote a few years ago. They'd developed incredibly sophisticated cybernetic telepathy that (via subspace relays) could support instantaneous communication between the entire society.

When one was separated from the network by some humans he barely had an individual personality to speak of and fell into a coma soon after. I think at that point I'd just read Nietzsche so I was big on the idea of herd consciousness.

maybe it would take us back to the garden of Eden through knowledge?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 07:34 PM
Bentley
Seitei

It is an interesting notion, the idea of losing individuality through mind-reading. To me it depends in whether or not telepathy allows you to gather information or process information as others would. I think that if you need sheer processing power -you could call it intelligence- it would not be the lost of individuality, but the exacerbation of individuality through hive-like constructs.

We would be bees.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 10:08 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

Originally posted by Bentley
It is an interesting notion, the idea of losing individuality through mind-reading. To me it depends in whether or not telepathy allows you to gather information or process information as others would. I think that if you need sheer processing power -you could call it intelligence- it would not be the lost of individuality, but the exacerbation of individuality through hive-like constructs.

We would be bees.

Or Salamander like?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 10:38 PM
tsilamini

deception played a massive role in our evolution

in a reality where mind reading is possible, neither humans nor civilization as we know it would exist in any form

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 11:13 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

That depends on the distance of "mind reading".

If it was limited, we'd still be individuals. We could still lie. We'd develop ways to be deceptive including ways to control our thoughts to prevent them from being read. Come-on...doesn't anyone know about Star Wars, here?

lol

An individual still produces unique thoughts, at times. I guarentee that a telepath would have difficulty making sense of my thoughts because they are very messy and in bursts. Some people do not think "cleanly" and I'm not talking about naughty stuff...I'm talking about in ways that would make sense to someone else had they stumbled upon the person. We also think in ways that are unique such as how we associate things together. We subconsciously filter out these associations to put it into forms others understand...but sometimes, those things slip out and we don't filter it properly and we end up not making sense to others but we make sense to ourselves. It's happened to everyone.

Anyway, yes, we'd have ways to still being deceptive such as not thinking about stuff to avoid being invaded.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 11:37 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tru-marvell

The idea of unrestricted telepathy is too daunting to fully conceptionalize through todays envirorment. I have often started the conversation with "natural limitations."

In my version telepathy would only be possible between persons who have had close intimate emotional or physical contact with one another.

So family members or a person with whom you have developed a strong emotional bond and a person with who you have had intercourse are persons with whom you would share telepathic bonds.

In this settting I think society would still be very different than what we have but allows for a more controlled imaginary world perspective.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2011 11:40 PM
tru-marvell is currently offline Click here to Send tru-marvell a Private Message Find more posts by tru-marvell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

Originally posted by Mindship

could you imagine if it did come on suddenly??? wow

Last edited by alltoomany on Nov 26th, 2011 at 05:13 AM

Old Post Nov 26th, 2011 05:10 AM
Febna Albeol
Restricted

Account Restricted

This all depends of the exact nature of this scenario but assuming the complete and total exposure and awareness of mental activity:

What I would imagine is that with the whole and exact public exposure of personal identity, the variance (as well as the scale behind the extremeties in that variance) in the true tastes, opinions, methodology, attitude, desires, imaginings, experiences, and feelings of individuals would help eliminate feelings of shame and embarrasment with regards to an individual's personal details; there is the sense that you are not alone and not being singled out in your situation - everyone is in it together - and what would otherwise seem weird by comparison would now become normal outside of the influence of dishonesty and discretion and with such notions a thing of the past, without the capacity to conceal personal information there is no longer the need or desire to do so - with people being born into such a world such a state of total exposure would truly be the norm and something with which you become used to.

Communication becomes far more efficient and direct and with that the visual and aural components of the personality, and the style behind wordplay become utterly diminished, existing in a practical sense only in the arts. People become as close to one another as they possibly can without all being as one; no longer is there a need for physical closeness and intimacy as no longer is there such a strong divide between the mental makeup of individuals.

Information becomes far more exact and reliable and readily available, as does knowledge and technical proficiency to an extent; the world would be a far more efficient place.

The practise of the social sciences would enter a golden age with absolute perfection in data. In psychology, the roots of mental illness will be picked up as early as possible and be in a far greater position to be eliminated. Perfect symmetry of information, assuming adequate understanding, would exist in the market place and politics becomes a matter of administration rather than persuasion.

Without the notion of going unpunished from criminal activity, given the physical presence of the authorities outweigh the physical presence of the criminal, no longer is there even any desire or notion of commiting crimes, unless the benefit gained from commiting the crime is worth the sacrfice of facing punishment, a presumably anomolous occurence. For the very same reason, no longer is there opportunity for criminality to rise to the point that it becomes a physical threat to legal and political authorities - such thoughts of organisation would be eliminated before having had a chance to be put into practise.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2011 07:42 AM
Febna Albeol is currently offline Click here to Send Febna Albeol a Private Message Find more posts by Febna Albeol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote