KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is Christianity theologically linked to Islam in any way?

Is Christianity theologically linked to Islam in any way?
Started by: Stoic

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stoic
Avenger

Is Christianity theologically linked to Islam in any way?

I read that there is no correlation between the two religions, and that Islam actually has nothing at all to do with either Judaism or Christianity. How true is this, when many Muslim's have made claims that they are in fact connected? I also read that the word Allah does not directly translate to mean God in English, but that it was literally the name of the Muslim Moon God.

Any opinions, facts, etc?

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 10:04 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

No opinions (yet), no facts to offer, but i look forward to any that are presented. I'd always assumed all these religions were interconnected.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 10:10 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

They're both, along with Judaism, Abrahamic religions.

I mean, the Muslims actually do revere Jesus as the Messiah.

Howdy!

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 10:53 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Re: Is Christianity theologically linked to Islam in any way?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stoic
I also read that the word Allah does not directly translate to mean God in English, but that it was literally the name of the Muslim Moon God.

Yes. There's historical evidence that Allah was originally the name of a Pagan moon god, just like Yahweh was originally the name of a Pagan storm god.

Originally posted by FinalAnswer

No. They revere him as a prophet.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 11:01 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
They're both, along with Judaism, Abrahamic religions.

Wrong. He's nothing more than a messenger to them. He's not divine in their eyes and they refuse to believe He died on the cross.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 12:05 AM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

They actually do revere him as messiah, but they'll be quick to point out that "messiah" is Hebrew for anointed.... which they believe all prophets are anointed.

As for a connection? None. The Quran is a book of stone age tribe tales, stolen stories from other religions and stories from the apocrypha. Arabs aren't related to Abraham through his son. That's a myth.

Actually, they've recently found a book with identicle stories and commandments, almost word for word...... and it was written before Muhammad was born.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 01:09 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Astner
Yes. There's historical evidence that Allah was originally the name of a Pagan moon god, just like Yahweh was originally the name of a Pagan storm god.

No. They revere him as a prophet.

I know you brought up the storm God thing as an attempt to discredit the bible, but its not what you think, fren.

The Hebrews were, biblically and historically polytheists for thousands of years before becoming monothiestic. The bible itself calls yhvh a storm God. He was a storm God before Abraham converted and was a storm God after.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 01:19 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

If you want to get technical, all the Middle Eastern stories (Bible, Quran) are basically ripoffs of the Epic of Gilgamesh, which was probably a ripoff of something else.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 01:21 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Omega Vision
If you want to get technical, all the Middle Eastern stories (Bible, Quran) are basically ripoffs of the Epic of Gilgamesh, which was probably a ripoff of something else.
how so

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 01:35 AM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by psmith81992
how so

Many of the same stories appear in both, most notably that of the Great Flood.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 01:37 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Only one story, the flood story. You can look at it two ways: They stole the story and just changed the name.
Or
2. Its a second eye witness account that the flood really happened.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 02:20 AM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Why couldn't they have come up with it separately? Local floods still occur worldwide and it doesn't take too much imagination to extrapolate a flood to a global event.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 02:54 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

There are a lot of now-defunct religions that existed concurrently with both Christianity and Islam in their earlier days. Many shared a lot of the same motifs, similar stories or story elements, etc. At a certain point, it becomes very hard to say who borrowed from whom, or where the origin of certain stories came from. People love pointing out, for example, the pagan roots of a lot of the symbolism surrounding Christmas. Other examples abound. And that's just from contemporaries of these religions, and doesn't begin to touch on mythological predecessors like the one(s) OV mentioned. Some, like flood stories, exist in many cultures. Whether written separately or borrowed hardly matters. But there are other examples. A brief stroll through, say, some Joseph Campbell or comparative religion books will produce several more. So it's not only logical to assume that there are some shared elements between all of them, but imo illogical to assume that there are none.

I'm obviously less versed in Islam - such is the curse of my culture - but from what I understand, and as a couple others have mentioned, Jesus does play a role in their history and he's given some status as a prophet.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 02:59 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why couldn't they have come up with it separately? Local floods still occur worldwide and it doesn't take too much imagination to extrapolate a flood to a global event.

They could have. That's the common thought of Christians. They make the argument that Gilgamesh proves that there was a flood and an ark, etc.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 03:02 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also, another difference is Christians are told to pray for infidels...... Islam....well....says cut their head off. laughing

There's a lot of pedophilia in it, too.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 03:05 AM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by long pig
They could have. That's the common thought of Christians.

I thought Christians believed that the global flood actually took place.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 03:10 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Not the majority of them. Just a vocal subset of evangelicals. For many Christians - though I won't guess at a percentage - much of the Old Testament is metaphoric. So the story of Noah is a parable about obedience to God and his laws, not about a literal flood.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 03:41 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
Not the majority of them. Just a vocal subset of evangelicals. For many Christians - though I won't guess at a percentage - much of the Old Testament is metaphoric. So the story of Noah is a parable about obedience to God and his laws, not about a literal flood.

Mostly all Protestants believe it took place as written. Catholics might not.

They do. They believe the Gilgamesh story is another acount of the biblical flood. They believe the people knew of the flood and described it the best they could. It eventually became the Gilgamesh story.

They believe the biblical flood happened exactly how the bi le says and the Gilgamesh story was just another account of the same event, just tweaked.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 04:35 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Last year there was a book about the relationship between the Bible and the Epic of Gilamesh tale of the flood. Apparently the hebrews were aquainted with the tale and adapted it during an specific timeframe.

That doesn't rule out the possibilities of other flood histories happening spontaneously, but there was a lot of exchange between close communities back in the day, so probably in most cases preexisting water folk tales became a flood stories after meeting with the idea of the universal flood.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 05:14 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Arabs aren't related to Abraham through his son. That's a myth.

Who are Esau's descendants according to Judaism?

Actually, they've recently found a book with identicle stories and commandments, almost word for word...... and it was written before Muhammad was born.

Do you have a link for that?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 05:17 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote