KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Are the Self Evident Truths as valid as The Ten Commandments?

Are the Self Evident Truths as valid as The Ten Commandments?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Are the Self Evident Truths as valid as The Ten Commandments?

In terms of how people should live their lives?
Less? More?
Why/why not?
Are they both just the same idea differently worded?

The Truths:
quote:
We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

The Commandments (short version):
quote:
You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 02:02 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I think the "self-evident truths" are better and more valid on the whole. I mean particularly the first 4 of the Ten commandments are all just silly. The others have some good parts, but maybe need some more differentiation. Either of course falls short for a decent moral system, but I guess they are not awful at least.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 02:23 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Valid in what sense? "Self-evident" in the given context means that it can't be proven.

The ten commandments would be more important to Christians since they're supposedly God's laws.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 02:27 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
Valid in what sense? "Self-evident" in the given context means that it can't be proven...

Really? Thats a non sarcastic really, as by definition self evident is said to be:
quote:
"self-evident truths"
not needing to be demonstrated or explained; obvious.

synonyms: obvious, clear, plain, evident, apparent, manifest, patent, axiomatic; distinct, transparent, overt, conspicuous, palpable, unmistakable, undeniable

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 02:39 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Click on "axiomatic" and read up on what an axiom is. You don't claim something to be an axiom if it can be proven.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 02:46 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

So going by one synonym?
As is your right, sir. thumb up

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 02:49 PM
Bardock42

Riv is right, self-evident doesn't mean it can't be proven, but that is obvious (by its own nature) that it is proven.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 02:58 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by riv6672
So going by one synonym?

No, but I know how it works. You only call something self-evident when you can't prove it, because proofs are more validating than assertions.

You can call anything self-evident, and unless there's a disproof you can only claim that said assertion isn't self-evident to you.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Riv is right, self-evident doesn't mean it can't be proven, but that is obvious (by its own nature) that it is proven.

I said "in the given context," I was not talking about the term in general. In other words, these claims cannot be proven.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2015 03:38 PM
riv6672

Eh, if you say so, but i disagree.
I can get with the second part if your statement though. The whole God and Country deal.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 12:47 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Those Self Evident truths are "evident" in name only. Going by the history of Humanity, it was clearly something difficult to conceive for many.

This sounds more of a philosophical question than a religion question, but I'll still answer it as a religious one.

Only if we assume the God of the Jews is real, we can fully make sense of the ten commandements (a sin is an offense towards God after all). The Creator named in the Self Evident truth can be any kind of entity, so technically is a wider statement.

Both rulesets are close or similar depending in which canonic version of the Holy Books you stick to. I don't think any of them will consider them as valid as the Ten Commandents though, since they aren't rules handed by God Himself.

As pointed out before, some of the Comandments are very niche and are likely imposible or at least difficult to translate into other beliefs. However, the Self Evident Truths are also partial in many regards (throwing around the words equal and liberty without explaining exactly to which level those are applied -since many faiths have metaphysical considérations-, makes them somewhat limited). Arguably, because of loose semantics they could also be applied into more religious practices.

I'm assuming people would intentionally stray from the original meaning to fit their respective beliefs, for example, a religion that is into human sacrifice would not consider it "murder".

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 06:18 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Thanks for the response.
One thing i have to comment on is right at the start though, where you say the truths are evident in name only.
Just because something is difficult to conceive for some/someone, doesnt make it less true.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 12:07 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by riv6672
Thanks for the response.
One thing i have to comment on is right at the start though, where you say the truths are evident in name only.
Just because something is difficult to conceive for some/someone, doesnt make it less true.

Agreed.

The nature of anything that's evident is such that you shouldn't/can't look for it. Evident things are in the open, they need no effort to be found. But many things can be absolutely real while being "hidden".

Weirdly enough, this leads into a situation where an "evident truth" can be read as a "truth not worth seeking".

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 12:58 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not all the commandments are valid. "Don't have any other Gods" and "don't make any idols" kind of sound like the same thing, but that is also more about ego then anything else.

Then the whole coveting thing..I never saw why this was bad. Covet means to want something, right? Why is it wrong to want something someone else has? Like if they have a nice car. It doesn't mean you are considering stealing it or anything like that. Just seems silly. Now I agree it is shady if you want to hook up with someone who you know is married, but merely coveting a persons stuff, I don't see the harm. These kinds of things can drive people to success, they want the nice things they see others with.

But just consider the craziness of some of the commandments. Most of them are just better ways to live: don't kill, don't steal, don't lie. Doing these things or not doing then can have a big impact on your life. But taking the Lords name in vain..or not taking it, doesn't help anyone. I mean his name isn't even actually "God".

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 27th, 2015 at 05:00 PM

Old Post Nov 27th, 2015 04:56 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

So, for you, the Truths are overall more valid?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2015 11:32 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes and here is where we also run into a problem. Now murder is bad, correct? Most people agree. If some random stranger came up and said "murder is wrong, very wrong" you'd say "well yes it is" and probably think nothing more.

Now if that random stranger was Charles Manson, a guy who used to apparently leave babies out in the wilderness to toughen them up(most died), and he was telling you murder is bad..I'm guessing part of you would be thinking "you got a lot of balls to be talking about how bad murder is considering the shit you did or had others do in your name".

So in other words, God telling me it is bad to kill is sort of like that. It's like if Hitler went on a rant about how genocide was awful.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 28th, 2015 at 06:06 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2015 06:04 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Ha, interesting!
Having said that, Hitler had a lot of good ideas which werent insanity based.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2015 07:27 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

For me it can be simplified by saying "practice what you preach".

Though Hitler tended to channel his insanity more towards making increasingly bad decisions concerning the war. He was also on a wide variety of drugs, like amphetamines. He then sent those out to the front line troops as well. But that is another topic entirely.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 28th, 2015 at 07:57 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2015 07:54 PM
riv6672

And an interesting topic at that.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2015 12:38 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

But see why do I get the feeling that if God is real he is like a shitty parent? When I have brought up the "practice what you preach" to parents their response was "do as I say not as I do" which is lovely and totally a legit response if the child in question is 16 years old or younger.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2015 03:55 PM
riv6672

So you're saying mankind, in YO, is a mature adult as opposed to a child? confused
I...have to disagree.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 10:37 AM