KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Moon Knight - by Brian Bendis & Alex Maleev

Moon Knight - by Brian Bendis & Alex Maleev
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Moon Knight - by Brian Bendis & Alex Maleev

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=30671

Finally Moonie gets an established A-list team! If Bendis & Maleev can do for Marc Spector what they did for Daredevil, then the future is jet & silver shiny. thumb up

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 4th, 2011 03:53 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I will buy..

I just about have all of Moon Knight's comics

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 4th, 2011 07:43 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Bendis A-list? Bah!

Ill still pick it up just to give it a chance, but not a fan of Bendis

Old Post Feb 4th, 2011 10:21 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I hope this means Bendis will no longer be the head of the Avengers, but I agree with Mungi, I rather it be someone else, but yeah, I'll take what I can get.

(MK in Secret Avengers, Heroes For Hire and now this, they are bumping the character as they bumped Iron-Fist/Nova a few years ago)

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 5th, 2011 10:03 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

No one has been able to make Moon Knight stick recently. Bendis is the big gun they finally turned to. If not him, then it should be Ed Brubaker.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 05:48 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Exactly my point, it should be Brubaker, Bendis dialogue is aweful.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 09:07 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Some of Bendis's dialogue is good.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 09:09 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji

Which means some is awful, dialogues aren't supposed to be "hit & miss", he get's payed for them damn it mad

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 09:50 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Kazenji

Originally posted by Bentley
Which means some is awful

That actually doesn't logically follow, Bents. Sorry there. I'm not defending Bendis per se (I like how he writes Spider-Man though), and clearly you have some issues with his writing, but your statement isn't proof of it.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 06:59 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Exactly my point, it should be Brubaker, Bendis dialogue is aweful.

I love his dialogue; how distinct it is.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2011 01:25 AM
Bentley
Seitei

My complains about Bendis are almost strictly technical, specially the use of dialogue combined with panels or the "voice" of certain characters. His narration -including how he weaves his stories- is hardly bad.

Originally posted by Digi
That actually doesn't logically follow, Bents. Sorry there. I'm not defending Bendis per se (I like how he writes Spider-Man though), and clearly you have some issues with his writing, but your statement isn't proof of it.

"Some Bendis dialogue is good" implies some dialogue isn't good right? "Awful" may've been an overstatement to be fair.

Also, I'm aware the comment may not have been intended as such from the poster since it was a passing comment, I'm just arguing from the logical implication point of view.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2011 08:34 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

My complains about Bendis are almost strictly technical, specially the use of dialogue combined with panels or the "voice" of certain characters. His narration -including how he weaves his stories- is hardly bad.

"Some Bendis dialogue is good" implies some dialogue isn't good right? "Awful" may've been an overstatement to be fair.

Also, I'm aware the comment may not have been intended as such from the poster since it was a passing comment, I'm just arguing from the logical implication point of view.

"Some dialogue is good" only means that some of it it is something other than good. That could mean excellent, horrible, neutral, etc.

I suppose I didn't need to be so absolutely technical with my rebuttal, but I wanted to see you defend your opinion on Bendis a bit more thoroughly. He's hacked through some crossovers and such, but I loved him on Ultimate Spider-Man and enjoy his New Avengers currently.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2011 03:02 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

You could've simply asked me why I found it bad smile

The truth is, I don't always find it bad. When Bendis isn't at his best not only the stories aren't all that remarkable, but they don't use panels and dialogues correctly -maybe they are rushed?-. I assume there are other writers who have this kind of issues but none I've read as much.

You could also argue that there are different sensibilities in different titles, Stan Lee, for example, wrote a solid Spider-man and a less-than-stellar Iron Man. It really depends in which one you focus to say whether the writing is good or bad. At least imo.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2011 07:51 AM
basilisk

I like Moon Knight, but I'm not looking forward to Bendis doing this. And yeah, aside from his propensity for muddling through big crossovers to underwhelming conclusions, a lot of poor characterization, and messing around with the Avengers, it's the dialogue than annoys me.

A lot of his dialogue just seems like panel filler, like he's sitting there writing and thinks "Don't really have much plot going on here. Cage is punching some guys. Guess I'll just fill the rest of the panels with pointless repetitive banter again." Some of it comes across like he honestly thinks the reader is dense or retarded or something - either that or the characters are. Like the last Avengers issue:

Hood: "Who's that guy?"
Big Dude: "Oh, hell Mr. Robbins. You don't want a part of that."
Hood: "Who is he? Why is he sitting alone?"
Big Dude: "Blah blah blah dat dere's a dangerous guy."
Hood: "That guy?"
Big Dude: "He's a mutant. And he kills people. A mutant killer."
Hood: "That guy right there?"
Big Dude: "YES THAT GUY RIGHT THERE. THE ONLY GUY AT THE F***ING TABLE. THE ONE WE ARE BOTH LOOKING AT. THE ONE WHO IS CLEARLY A MUTANT UNLIKE EVERY OTHER F*** IN THIS JOINT AND THE ONE THAT YOU POINTED OUT TO ME IN THE FIRST F***ING PLACE AND STARTED THIS WHOLE F***ING CONVERSATION ABOUT. ARE YOU DENSE? ARE YOU RETARDED OR SOMETHING? WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM TALKING ABOUT?"
Hood: "That guy? That guy right there?"

OK, that was just a minor example but that's the only issue I had around.

I don't read BB's USM so can't comment on how he fits that, but his Avengers Spider-Man is usually just kind of annoying (and pointless - he is on two teams and most of the time he does nothing except spout lame dialogue). And the "couple talk" - Cage and wife - can border on excruciating. I enjoy some issues more than others but sometimes I just have to stop in the middle of a page of Bendispeak, look away, take a deep breath, and tell myself "you can get through it - just keep reading..."

Oddly enough I kind of enjoyed the Dark Avengers run. It went nowhere really, and the Bendispeak was still there, but he maybe because the entire cast was a$$holes I think he did a better job.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2011 04:40 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

"This isn't the fight" ...nuff said

Old Post Feb 9th, 2011 02:31 AM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Bendis is at his best with street level characters. Full time on Thor, Fantastic Four he wouldn't be suited. His Avengers stuff works because of the mix of characters - he needs an outlet for caustic people to speak and carry the story - so I think this will be right up his alley.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2011 06:11 PM