KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Anyone read Miracle Man?

Anyone read Miracle Man?
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Anyone read Miracle Man?

Specifically, Alan Moore's run? What did you think of it?

Especially the way it turns out. Was Miracle Man right, or wrong to force the Earth into a utopia? And what do you think Moore was trying to say by having him do it?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 03:29 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

I thought it was an excellent read (better than Watchmen, imo). Gaiman's work adds some more development to the Utopia.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 03:34 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I read it and I liked it a lot, I think it has a fatality ring into it that is not very easy to get in other comics -it surpasses Watchmen in this sense of lost direction, is quite upsetting at times-. I found it fun and not overly complex, despite the moral questions asked in the last arcs.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 11:45 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Imo, the idea of Moore's Miracleman was better than the actual series. Personally, I just don't think it stands the test of time (it's a lot like Watchmen in that regard.) I still think it's an okay read, but I definitely wouldn't want to read it regularly. Gaiman's Miracleman, however, was very well done, and still holds up well.

*dodges random objects being thrown*

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2011 03:26 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I wonder when Marvel is going to reintroduce MM to their universe...

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 16th, 2011 03:50 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xHomerx
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Imo, the idea of Moore's Miracleman was better than the actual series. Personally, I just don't think it stands the test of time (it's a lot like Watchmen in that regard.) I still think it's an okay read, but I definitely wouldn't want to read it regularly. Gaiman's Miracleman, however, was very well done, and still holds up well.

Throws several random objects.

Let's look at Miracleman shall we.

It was originally written as a black and white strip and was a deconstructionist take on the old UK Marvelman strip. Many people criticise Moore for being a one trick pony and generally using the 'Nothing is true' conspiracy plot for most of his comics. John Byrne (a bitter guy) has done this more than once. At times Moore is a hack, he undoubtedly lifts the rape scene of Johnny Bates from the film version of Scum in both dialogue and situation. So, is Miracleman that good? Let's put it in context, set against the early eighties, the Thatcher and Reagan led political scene, the cold war and the mistrust of our Governments- which has continued growing to this day; It is simply- ground breaking. Issue 15 changed how comic book fights are seen and everything from Supreme Power to Griffin has ripped it off and never really matched Totlebaums art.
The Gaiman issues are more self satisfied and we have to set them in context also, Gaiman was riding high on 'Sandman', however, if we believe him and I have no reason not to; both, plots and directions were being advertised by Eclipse before he had written them.. My favourite moments probably come from issue 16, the Thatcher, UN and George Bush senior scenes with always bring me a smile. My favourite single issue is the Eponymous issue 15. It did change comics.

The interesting thing to see is how Moores style became more refined during the ten years it took for his run to be completed, if, we consider the Warrior stories (later reprinted for Eclipse) as the start of the run.

How good is Miracleman? It's that good- the most groundbreaking deconstructionist series of all time. Does it have flaws? Of course it does. I loved the Planetary take on deconstructionism where you have the thinly veiled Miracleman complaining he had had his sexuality retconned and wasn't happy. It's a valid criticism.
Cheesiest moment, the sex scene with Miraclewoman over London.
Best Gaiman story, the one where the pilgrims visit Olympus.

-W, I mean Homer.

Last edited by xHomerx on Jun 16th, 2011 at 04:06 PM

Old Post Jun 16th, 2011 03:53 PM
xHomerx is currently offline Click here to Send xHomerx a Private Message Find more posts by xHomerx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by xHomerx
Throws several random objects.

Let's look at Miracleman shall we.

It was originally written as a black and white strip and was a deconstructionist take on the old UK Marvelman strip. Many people criticise Moore for being a one trick pony and generally using the 'Nothing is true' conspiracy plot for most of his comics. John Byrne (a bitter guy) has done this more than once. At times Moore is a hack, he undoubtedly lifts the rape scene of Johnny Bates from the film version of Scum in both dialogue and situation. So, is Miracleman that good? Let's put it in context, set against the early eighties, theThatcher and Reagan led political scene, the cold war and the mistrust of our Governments which has continued growing to this day; It is- simply ground breaking. Issue 15 changed how comic book fights are scene and everything from Supreme Power to Griffin has ripped it off and never really matched Totlebaums art.
The Gaiman issues are more self satisfied and we have to set them in context also, Gaiman was riding high on 'Sandman', however, if we believe him and I have no reason not to; both, plots and directions were being advertised by Eclipse before he had written them.. My favourite moments probably come from issue 16, the Thatcher, UN and George Bush senior scenes with always bring me a smile. My favourite singel issue is the Eponymous issue 15. It did change comics.

The interesting thing to see is how Moores style became more refined during the ten years it took for his run to be completed, if, we consider the Warrior stories (later reprinted for Eclipse) as the start of the run.

How good is Miracleman? It's that good- the most groundbreaking deconstructionist series of all time. Does it have flaws? Of course it does. I loved the Planetary take on deconstructionism where you have the thinly veiled Miracleman complaining he had had his sexuality retconned and wasn't happy. It's a valid criticism.
Cheesiest moment, the sex scene with Miraclewoman over London.
Best Gaiman story, the one where the pilgrims visit Olympus.

-W, I mean Homer.
So you don't care for it either. Glad we're on the same page.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2011 04:00 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I think there is some elements regarding MM that are mostly important historically than in the series on itself. I think there are many well done comics on the series even if others are lackluster -I didn't love the art in many of the issues-. It works as a self contained universe with the little cast it got, I actually went on to like more the Gaiman issues myself, but some of the work Moore did before has great issues imo.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 16th, 2011 04:32 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xHomerx
Restricted

Account Restricted

So you don't care for it either. Glad we're on the same page.

smile

Old Post Jun 16th, 2011 08:32 PM
xHomerx is currently offline Click here to Send xHomerx a Private Message Find more posts by xHomerx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote