KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » THE FORCE AWAKENS - discussion with SPOILERS!!!

THE FORCE AWAKENS - discussion with SPOILERS!!!
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

The cave scene was always vague, as yoda says, "only what you take with you"
The force is what does it, and I don't think it's intentionally Jedi spells.

They were always personal visions and emotional, not something given from a third party

Last edited by JediRobin23 on Dec 24th, 2015 at 03:30 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:27 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

it can't be rationally denied that there was some sort of spell attached to that lightsaber. if you dont like the term 'spell', then pick another. something mystical was attached to that lightsaber and it reached out to rey, same with the cave.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 24th, 2015 at 03:40 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:37 AM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Spells is a stupid term for Star Wars...

Why can't the force do it on its own...nothing physical needs to be placed in a lightsaber or cave. It's part of a Jedis training to see those things. Also, Rey learns the force on her own and gets stronger. She does kick the sh$t out of Ren at the end with the force. However, Ren was wounded and not 100%

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:43 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Felt it was kinda stupid that Rey just seemed to be handed things like from nowhere...like how would she even know she could affect the mind of the Stormtrooper?

I mean even Luke didn't know about that till Ben told him and Rey just knows....because?

Among other things, some stuff with Rey just seems to be there.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:57 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
i used to assume that the cave was just some sort of natural anomaly
It is. Yoda's trip to Dagobah during TCW showed us that much.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:00 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Rey seems to be a faster learner than Luke was. However, Luke still learned on his own once he had an idea of the force being with him. Luke did blow up the Death Star. Well, with the help of obiwan. But, He did learn to pick up the lightsaber when he was hanging upside down in the frozen wampa cave

Last edited by JediRobin23 on Dec 24th, 2015 at 04:05 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:02 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zenwolf
I mean even Luke didn't know about that till Ben told him and Rey just knows....because?
It was all about experimentation. She probably thought "well, I can read the mind of a guy who is adept with the Force, so I wonder if I can control the mind of some weak-minded feeb..?"

She tried. It worked.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 24th, 2015 at 04:06 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:02 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
It was all about experimentation. She probably thought "well, I can read the mind of a guy who is adept with the Force, so I wonder if I can control the mind of some weak-minded feeb..?"

She tried. It worked.

Ehhh....I guess..

/Shrug

All in all though, as of now me thinks..

Galactic Empire > First Order, Rebel Alliance > The Resistance

The future movies might change it however.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:10 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Nah the Jedi Mind trick with Zero training was total bull for me.

I really enjoyed the first half of this film, but after that it lost me.

Should have erased the Starkiller plot, and kept the fight going for the search for Luke Skywalker instead. That was a much better plot IMHO.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 11:43 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

With the lightsabre- I think people are being a bit too literal there. It's not a magical sabre per se- but it's important as a symbol. It embodies the idea of the Jedi and the lineage of those who used it- the emotional investment of its history.

Rey is sensing that history. The sabre becomes the focal point for her to see other things through the Force. The power is hers- the sabre was the trigger to realise it.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 11:47 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yeah, something like that. Good flashback BTW... lots of questions being raised..

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 11:55 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

That Riot Trooper though was the boss. Everything else about the FO military wise though was just...lacking imo. The same with the Resistance, only 10 X-wings for their fleet?

But maybe the other 2 movies will expand.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Dec 24th, 2015 at 01:07 PM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 12:59 PM
Darth Thor

That Riot Trooper though was the boss.

Yep.

That fight was much cooler (and more natural) than the Ren vs Finn fight IMO.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 01:07 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

It is. Yoda's trip to Dagobah during TCW showed us that much.

i never watched TCW, but i'll take your word for it.

Felt it was kinda stupid that Rey just seemed to be handed things like from nowhere...like how would she even know she could affect the mind of the Stormtrooper?

she must have heard about it. i dunno. it was weird how she seemed to spontainiously gain knowledge of the force along with her power. repressed training from childhood, or perhaps she heard more details about the jedi than luke did previous to ANH. or possible bad writing. we'll see.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
With the lightsabre- I think people are being a bit too literal there. It's not a magical sabre per se- but it's important as a symbol. It embodies the idea of the Jedi and the lineage of those who used it- the emotional investment of its history.

Rey is sensing that history. The sabre becomes the focal point for her to see other things through the Force. The power is hers- the sabre was the trigger to realise it.

whatever the case, something reached out from that saber and called her. i can't buy the idea that her abilities include connecting spiritually with a metal thing. (especially when it's hidden and she has no idea that it's there).

i can however accept jedi robin's suggestion that it may have been the will of the force that drew her down the stairs, and into that room.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 02:20 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:04 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

whatever the case, something reached out from that saber and called her. i can't buy the idea that her abilities include connecting spiritually with a metal thing. (especially when it's hidden and she has no idea that it's there).

i can however accept jedi robin's suggestion that it may have been the will of the force that drew her down the stairs, and into that room.
Couldn't it also be possible that Rey possesses very uber psychometry/postcognition?:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Psychometry/Legends
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the scene. /shrug

The ability is still canon, btw. Quinlan Vos used it during TCW, and most recently during Dark Disciple.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 24th, 2015 at 04:38 PM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:29 PM
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

She tried. It worked.

thumb up

She failed the first few attempts so it wasn't perfect, but still uber.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:50 PM
Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

i never watched TCW, but i'll take your word for it.

she must have heard about it. i dunno. it was weird how she seemed to spontainiously gain knowledge of the force along with her power. repressed training from childhood, or perhaps she heard more details about the jedi than luke did previous to ANH. or possible bad writing. we'll see.

I think you may have not quite got the gist of what I meant if you took that as 'connecting spiritually with a metal thing'.

It's ultimately the Force that is calling, all the way.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 05:20 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

i can accept that, if it's the case. either works fine for me.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 06:50 PM
Darth Thor

Couldn't it also be possible that Rey possesses very uber psychometry/postcognition?:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Psychometry/Legends
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the scene. /shrug

The ability is still canon, btw. Quinlan Vos used it during TCW, and most recently during Dark Disciple.

Yep and on top of that she also happens to possess very uber natural TK and Mind control abilities.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 08:32 PM