KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » DE Sidious -vs- The Emperor (Lord Vitiate)

Which Sith Lord survives in the all-out battle?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
The Emperor (Lord Vitiate) 7 20.00%
DE Sidious 28 80.00%
Total: 35 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DE Sidious -vs- The Emperor (Lord Vitiate)
Started by: Rookwood

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (19): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
S_W_LeGenD

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rookwood
I've avoided playing TOR for it's shittiness, but yeah, this doesn't surprise me.

You would think for a Dark Lord that developed titanic mental powers at a Broly-esque rate, that he would at the very least have good precognition or bullet-time abilities.

But apparently no; - it almost makes his uber powers seem useless.

Bro, I expect you to not jump in to premature conclusions on the basis of insignificant information provided by PT/OT worshippers.

Here is the actual event:

EVEN AS SHE CALLED to Scourge to help, Meetra was already sprinting toward the far end of the throne room. Scourge hesitated before joining her, taking a moment to survey the situation, memories of his vision of their failure still fresh in his mind.

What he saw was not good. Revan was being electrocuted, his body spasming uncontrollably as the Emperor blasted him with dark purple lightning.

Revan's astromech launched a jet of flame at the Emperor, freeing Revan, who collapsed to the ground. In retaliation, the Emperor disintegrated the offending droid, strode over to where Revan lay, and picked the vanquished Jedi's lightsaber up off the floor.

It all happened in the space of only a few seconds. Meetra was moving fast, but she was too far away to stop the Emperor from eviscerating the prone Jedi at his feet.

In desperation, she hurled her lightsaber with a wild sidearm throw, guiding it with the Force so that it spiraled end-over-end to intercept the descending blade, knocking it from the Emperor's grasp and sending it skittering across the floor.

Suddenly empty-handed, the Emperor took a quick step back. His attention had been focused solely on Revan; Meetra's trick had caught him by surprise.
(SWTOR Revan)

As you can note, Sith Emperor was preoccupied with Revan when Meetra struck him from a great distance.

Surprise attack is surprise attack. It can surprise anybody.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Dec 26th, 2012 at 07:34 PM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 07:31 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rookwood
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Bro, I expect you to not jump in to premature conclusions on the basis of insignificant information provided by PT/OT worshippers.

Here is the actual event:

EVEN AS SHE CALLED to Scourge to help, Meetra was already sprinting toward the far end of the throne room. Scourge hesitated before joining her, taking a moment to survey the situation, memories of his vision of their failure still fresh in his mind.

What he saw was not good. Revan was being electrocuted, his body spasming uncontrollably as the Emperor blasted him with dark purple lightning.

Revan's astromech launched a jet of flame at the Emperor, freeing Revan, who collapsed to the ground. In retaliation, the Emperor disintegrated the offending droid, strode over to where Revan lay, and picked the vanquished Jedi's lightsaber up off the floor.

It all happened in the space of only a few seconds. Meetra was moving fast, but she was too far away to stop the Emperor from eviscerating the prone Jedi at his feet.

In desperation, she hurled her lightsaber with a wild sidearm throw, guiding it with the Force so that it spiraled end-over-end to intercept the descending blade, knocking it from the Emperor's grasp and sending it skittering across the floor.

Suddenly empty-handed, the Emperor took a quick step back. His attention had been focused solely on Revan; Meetra's trick had caught him by surprise.
(SWTOR Revan)

As you can note, Sith Emperor was preoccupied with Revan when Meetra struck him from a great distance.

Wow, God, why did they pussify Revan so badly, though?

That guy was supposed to be a Prodigy - further developed through uber experiences, etc.

How come he got so badly rape-stomped?

Drew is such a bad writer. erm

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 07:37 PM
Click here to Send Rookwood a Private Message Find more posts by Rookwood Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Wow, God, why did they pussify Revan so badly, though?

That guy was supposed to be a Prodigy - further developed through uber experiences, etc.

How come he got so badly rape-stomped?

Drew is such a bad writer. erm

Revan is not pussified in the novel. It is just that some people (PT/OT worshippers in particular) underestimate Sith Emperor (Vitiate) without logical basis.

However, novel is not very well done IMO as well.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Dec 26th, 2012 at 07:53 PM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 07:40 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rookwood
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

And how do you think Sidious would have fared, against a surprise attack like that?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 07:44 PM
Click here to Send Rookwood a Private Message Find more posts by Rookwood Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

And how do you think Sidious would have fared, against a surprise attack like that?

Awareness is the key to self-defence. How do you think Han Solo managed to shoot Sidious?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 07:52 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I think he would have been picked up and thrown over some railings personally.

Hypothetically speaking.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 07:52 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rookwood
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nephthys
I think he would have been picked up and thrown over some railings personally.

Hypothetically speaking.

Zing.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 08:10 PM
ares834

Originally posted by jadams3928
So? Sidious was shot in the back by Han Solo

Not sure why people bring this up. It seems pretty clear that Sidious intentionally died to possess Anakin. His death in RotJ is far more damning.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 08:35 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jadams3928
Restricted

Account Restricted

He was going to possess Anakin, he had no idea Han was behind him with a gun. Since this is DE Sidious, it's even more damning.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 08:47 PM
Click here to Send jadams3928 a Private Message Find more posts by jadams3928 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Where is it stated he didn't know Han was behind him? After all Han killing him furthered his plans

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 09:03 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jadams3928
Restricted

Account Restricted

If what you say is true, he could have left his body at any time. Instead, he was desperately trying to get hold of Anakin Solo and as such, was not aware of Han.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 09:37 PM
Click here to Send jadams3928 a Private Message Find more posts by jadams3928 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

When has Sidious ever just left his body? It's been awhile since I read DE, but in that I seem to recall him letting Luke kill him so he could use a younger body.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 09:39 PM
Darth Thor

Why are there 2 threads for this? One on top of the other??

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 10:35 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

In a battle of Magicians Vitiate wins unless Sidious gets the same amount of prep.

Because Sidious would be more dangerous with prep than Vitiate, he was the stronger Sith Lord. He would summon Sith Chrysalide Super Rancors or something.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 10:45 PM
Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The_Tempest
Clones more rapidly decay under dark side effects than do normal bodies. But I'm unaware of any evidence that suggests that they are more vulnerable to attack.

Sidous' first young clone was immortal so long as he continued feeding off of the inhabitants of Byss or even Corucscant. His other clones were sabotaged.

Sidious was stronger in the Force because all the power of the Dark Side wasn't spread out as much as with Vitiate and the thousands of Sith who ruled under him. Such is the Rule of Two.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 10:54 PM
Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by jadams3928
They are "inferior" in every way so logic dictates that not only is the potency of their attacks inferior, but so is their defense.

This does not follow. It would only follow that the clones may not be able to maintain such intensity for an indefinite period of time. The reborn Emperor was more than capable of dueling at nigh-invisible speeds (The Dark Empire audiobook), conjuring Force lightning (Empire's End), unleashing Force Storms, etc. and so forth.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 11:15 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

I apologize in advance for the lack of italics and proper dressings. Drafted this on Microsoft Word this morning but the internet has been spotty as hell where I am, it could give out at any moment.
quote:
Nephthys
Did you get anything good? I didn't. The best gift was money, which I've spent to get myself a present.

I don’t ask for gifts at Christmas anymore, but my parents gave me $300, a sweater, and a jacket; my girlfriend purchased tickets for us to see Journey in February. All things considered, I made out like a bandit.
quote:
Nephthys
And since my entire point was that by virtue of that great superiority over Nyriss who herself has one of the greatest displays of Force Lightning in Star Wars (turning a being to ash even after going through Force Shields) meaning that Vitiates lightning is logically atop the pinnacle of the technique, it is not irrelevent.

Vitiate’s superiority over Nyriss is not in question, bro.
But the inconsistency of their attacks is curious: Nyriss’s reflected beams tore through her shields and reduced her to ash. Comparatively, Vitiate’s lightning simply burned Revan’s flesh and heated his mask to extreme levels. Revan was literally back on his feet and ready to fight in a matter of moments by drawing on the Force. Are we to conclude Revan’s flesh was more lightning-resistant than Nyriss’s?
quote:
Nephthys
Did I say that it did? I merely pointed out that it was a lot of rock and thus quit an impressive feat. But anyway, you seem to have no objects to the Hero being incredibly powerful now.

Bringing down a lot of rock isn’t that impressive when the effort is being aided by gravity. The good Count of Serenno scoffs at your ridiculous suggestions.
quote:
Nephthys
[b] And when have I indicated that that is not exactly what I am doing?

As long as you’re not suggesting that Vitiate would be able to reproduce certain feats against everyone—and you have argued such things before—then we’re good.
quote:
Nephthys
Then your point is meaningless since this is a factor in every other feat we take into account. Unless you were thinking I thought that Vitiate was actually hitting the Hero with building destroying TK, in which case LOLWTF?

It stands to reason that the more powerful a Force user is with TK, the easier it will be to tear through their opponents Force Shields. You seem to be trying to dismiss Vitiates feats out of hand by saying 'it didn't do him much good against the Hero, so obviously he sucks.' Which is an incredibly illogical and disingenuous argument to make. Clearly the power of Vitiates Force powers must be taken into account. The fact that he lost to the Hero of Tython does not preclude him from being able to overwhelm another opponent. Thus, your point is meaningless.

I didn’t say Vitiate sucks, bro. I simply said he’s not the all-powerful titan who presently inspires the sum and total of your sexual fantasies.
And let’s not discuss “incredibly illogical and disingenuous arguments” when in this very post, you (a.) suggest that a T7 astromech is on-par with powerful Force users because he’s “saved lives” (R2-D2, anyone?), (b.) suggest that Dromund Kaas is not a dark side nexus because the text clearly refers to “dark side practitioners” when it says the world “bristles with the dark side,” and (c.) suggest that Vitiate’s mastery of the Force is logically “exponentially” greater than anyone else’s and is “off the charts” despite the fact that his feats are hardly beyond compare.
quote:
Nephthys
Proof of that?

If you watch carefully, he raises his hand to intercept the bolts and before he’s put on his ass.
quote:
Nephthys
That was never your point though. You said 'No one suggests that the Emperor's ash-reducing lightning would manifest against enemies on the caliber of Yoda'. So do you think that Sidious would be similarly unable to disintegrate an enemy solely by virtue of them being as powerful as Yoda is, were they not to hinder the lightning in any way?

No, my argument was that the Emperor’s “ash-reducing lightning” would not manifest against enemies on the caliber of Yoda precisely because of their ability to resist it. He reduces plenty of people to ash and charred skeletons across the mythos, but they were either Forceless or adepts who were hardly a match for the Grand Master of the Jedi Order.
quote:
Nephthys
Also, this is mere speculation on your part, there is nothing indicating Yoda is especially lightning-resistant.

lol
You conflate inference with idle speculation. The former (mine) has basis; the latter does not. We see examples of Yoda’s superhuman physicality routinely: his longevity is exponentially greater and his durability is greater than the average person.
Regardless, if all we’re going to dismiss things that are not expressly stated in an authoritative sources as speculation, you couldn’t have picked a less appropriate character to defend and a more formidable opponent to dispute.
quote:
Nephthys
How does that show that Vitiate couldn't use that same level of power in a fight?

Because the T7 emerges unscathed and none of the cutscenes depict him unleashing that level of power? Really, Vitiate comes off rather flaccid.

Besides which, by the time the Hero notices what Vitiates doing, the temple is already collapsing. They'd of had to block Vitiates attempts and hold up the temple at the same time. Fleeing was easier.
quote:
Nephthys
And your proof of that is? T7 survives plenty of fights against powerful Force users and even fought in the Sacking of Coruscant. His codex entry also says that 'T7-01 serves the Jedi by bravely facing danger on a daily basis' and that 'the droid's hard work is responsible for saving dozens, if not hundreds, of lives on Tython alone.' And as I've said, astromechs can be incredible fighters, as evidenced by T3 defeating 3 HK-50 droids by himself. Earlier models of the HK series have proven themselves against Jedi-level opponents.

Besides which, he merely stunned one of them while it ran past him.

If I may borrow your phrase, “speculation.”
That T7 survives fights against TOR-era Force users may very well simply be an indictment of their abilities rather than an endorsement of his. That he “bravely faces danger on a daily basis” and saved dozens of lives does not constitute proof that he could withstand a powerful Force adept in combat or display abilities on par with such figures. You have hardly presented the circumstances of T7’s victory over the HK units nor do I recall a shred of evidence that suggests those droids could take on Jedi-level opponents in straight-up combat. As I recall, they were assassins and saboteurs by trade, were they not?
We see some three-thousand-years later an astromech droid acquit himself well in danger, saving countless lives. But no one would suggest R2D2 could beat Count Dooku in a fight.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 11:44 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

quote:
Nephthys
You mean like with Force powers? That still takes time, especially if used on multiple targets surrounding you. I'll also have you know that they are resistant to Force attacks.

According to what source “would that take time”? Even if so, how can you determine the length of time it would take? And according to what source are they resistant to Force attacks?
quote:
Nephthys
Even if we were to grant that speculation, is there proof that a Sith automatically gains power from a darkside nexus. As Legend pointed out, Zannah had to specifically draw on Ambrias energies in order to use it.

Ambria’s dark side energies were largely quarantined in Lake Nath—it is hardly a conventional nexus where such potency is allowed to operate unmitigated. If you can provide proof of comparable circumstances for Dromund Kaas, I’ll entertain such foolishness.
quote:
Nephthys
Furthermore, that could easily just be metaphorical hyperbole for how Dromund Kass bristles with dark side practicioners.

This is a baseless stretch that willfully contorts the English language. Undoubtedly Dromund Kaas’s dark side potency is the result of being so heavily populated by large numbers of dark side practitioners, but between that and Vitiate’s esoteric rituals, why wouldn’t it taint the world itself?
Regardless, even if you wish to ignore this and Scourge’s own observations about the world, the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia says that “Luke Skywalker later decided to keep Dromund Kaas’s location a secret to keep its dark power from falling into the wrong hands.”
quote:
Nephthys
Only in regards to his lightsaber skills. In every other aspect they are close or Vitiate is superior.

Not really, no.
But, regardless, I’m pleased that you view the two of them as being close, since that undermines the frankly idiotic conclusion that Vitiate’s mastery is somehow “exponentially greater” than the Emperor’s.

quote:
Nephthys
In Scourges opinion. Since he is not present to sense it himself he is a poor witness.

Ah, yes, I remember. In order for one to be considered authoritative by you, one has to be a non-Force sensitive colonel who’s nearly mindless under the oppression of the dark side. I forget that the opinions of fully trained Sith Lords are totally irrelevant—except when one of those same Sith Lords says that anyone other than the Hero and T7 can withstand Vitiate’s mind powers, because, well, uh...
It’s remarkable how expertise is such a transient thing for you.
quote:
Nephthys
As a Sith spirit, yes, not as dying man. Sith spirits aren't affected by the physical world at all, while a living Force User is still bound by it. We have plenty of examples of a Force user being incapacitated or dulled by physical injury. Sidious on his deathbed was killed by Han Solo. Anakin resorted to pulling himself up the banks of Mustafar with his hand. If his Force powers were unaffected he could have pulled himself up with the Force. As a dying man, Darth Bane needed to slaughter a family to feed off of their deaths and rejuvenate his Force powers enough to keep moving.

Not exactly comparable scenarios, are they? Undoubtedly a body’s physical attributes are weakened by injury as are certain Force powers—Plagueis, after all, literally suffered heart failure when he tried to summon lightning against the Maladians. Otherwise, he had no trouble using telekinesis. Sidious’s physicality was similarly weakened and he was shot in the back; otherwise, he one-shot every Jedi who came at him. Anakin was in exceptional, extraordinary pain, to say nothing that levitation is a bewilderingly rare talent among Jedi and Sith. Vitiate, on the other hand, was dying but evidently not suffering.
Either way, your argument is that Vitiate could clearly reproduce the effects of such TK in a conventional fight. We see no evidence of this sort of carnage and destruction in the cutscenes, suggesting that this may very well have been a final exhalation of power at the moment of his spirit’s release from corporeality.
quote:
Nephthys
And how much is a 'great deal of time?' 100 years? 2?

No clue. But a great deal of time relative to a 900 year old sage would probably be a little more than 2.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 11:45 PM
The_Tempest

quote:
Nephthys
As you've pointed out in your argument with Nai, Palpatine had plenty of time to study the Force and plenty of materials to do so, as well as a heightened learning rate due to being a particularly powerful dark sider.

Depends on what you mean by plenty of time to study. He was a political operative for decades and spent years masterminding his own rise to power, to say nothing of when he finally micromanaged an unprecedented galactic war by controlling both sides. Hardly a lax schedule. By your reckoning, Sidious must have been a veritable neophyte in the ways of the Force. Now, obviously, everything we know about him says otherwise—but that would require you to reconsider your stringent formula for determining Force mastery.
quote:
Nephthys
POD clearly shows this aspect. Bane learns faster than any other student despite the fact that 'Many of the students had trained for months or years before they had been accepted at the Academy on Korriban' learns Force Lightning faster than Githany did and was able to learn all of Revans holocron in a week or less and Freedon Nadds and Belia Darzu's secrets even faster.

Actually, you’ve made my point for me: the fact that Bane surpassed other, more experience adepts so quickly is conclusive evidence of what I’ve said all along: time is inconsequential when the adept in question possesses such innate talent. Your argument that the dark side is what confers mastery is undermined completely: his Sith colleagues and classmates were aligned to the dark side as well and could not match his accelerated learning rate.
quote:
Nephthys
Revan was noted by the Jedi Masters in Kotor to be extremely hungry for knowledge and went through several teachers in the Force as a padawan. He also had the opportunity to plunder Malachors vast collection of Sith knowledge.

This is irrelevant; I don’t need a rundown of Revan’s thirst for knowledge as it wasn’t in question. Clearly he was a voracious learner and Force prodigy; that’s precisely my point: time alone would not have conferred on him such an elite command of the Force, which outstripped scholars decades older than he (Kreia? Nyriss?).
quote:
Nephthys
Notice how all these people are darksiders? Is there examples of lightsiders gaining knowledge this fast or have you just made my point for me?

No, because if it were merely a product of alignment and time, then all dark siders would progress at comparable rates.

quote:
Nephthys
It is not the only aspect in the equation, no.

Indeed, clearly there are far more important elements at play than time. Force alignment may very well play a role, but the deciding factor is innate talent.
quote:
Nephthys
Sidious had greater access to learning materials and likely was not as obsessed with fencing as Dooku was. I also don't think its mentioned that Dooku was particularly scholarly as Sidious or Vitiate were.

That depends. Dooku had access to the Jedi Archives, supposedly the single greatest repository of knowledge in the galaxy. Dooku’s skill with fencing was never attributed as obsession nor has it ever been claimed that he spent every waking moment honing his talents in this regard. It is precisely Dooku’s quest to “learn the secrets of the dark side” that enticed him to leave the order (Darth Plagueis). Whether or not he was as lustful of knowledge as Vitiate or the Emperor is not the question; the fact remains that he was, by all accounts, an inquisitive mind with access to a wealth of Force knowledge and a considerable amount of time to slake such thirst.
quote:
Nephthys
Logically, in the case of his mastery and knowledge, this is true. Vitiate had thousands of years, access to a huge knowledge base and was devoted to his studies. His Force Mastery logically is off the charts. I am not too sure about the power aspect however.

No, this logically is not true. As you confessed earlier, you perceive the two as being very close in abilities. Where does Vitiate’s “exponentially” superior mastery relative to the Emperor’s manifest?

That’s the trap, you see. It’s not enough to claim that Vitiate’s mastery is greater; that has been acknowledged as absolutely possible. You claimed that it is “off the charts” and tremendously superior. Where is the evidence for this? Where is such peerless mastery made manifest? Your formula requires that, since Vitiate had exponentially greater time to study, the results must be exponentially greater as well.

Yet I’ve shown you plenty of examples (a few you have unwittingly provided yourself) where this is not the case at all. Next to these, your formula alone cannot stand. A cursory examination of their relative feats hardly suggests a titanic advantage for Vitiate.

Unaided, we know Vitiate overpowered Tol Braga’s strike team and destroyed droids; on a dark side nexus, he’s created “shadow clones,” unleashed a telekinetic wave that put Revan on his ass, and a storm of lightning that sheared through the former’s defenses and reduced him to a smoldering heap. Ritually, we know he orchestrated an effort with the participation of thousands of Sith Lords that enabled him to absorb their power, along with the life-force of the entire planet, and reduced it to either an extremely powerful dark side nexus or a world devoid of the Force entirely; similarly, he was able to bind the wills of the Imperial Guardsmen to him and incite perpetual lightning storms across the surface of Dromund Kaas. Under murkier circumstances, we know he’s telepathically enthralled Force users and purged two incarnations of the Dark Council and may have mentally ensnared the Sith Lords on Medriaas before the ritual began.

Unaided, we know Sidious overpowered three of the finest swordsmen in the Jedi Order, defeated and deflected attacks from hundreds of adversaries each in conjunction with Plagueis, curbstomped Darth Maul and Savage Opress combined, overpowered Starkiller, and reduced three Sith acolytes to ash and slain dozens of treacherous stormtroopers with Force lightning. Additionally, we know that he is capable of loosing world-killing Force storms “with mere thought and inclination.” On a dark side nexus, he’s disintegrated lightsabers, shrugged off the crushing impact of a ton of machinery, overpowered Luke Skywalker and used the dark side to break his will. Ritually, we know he radiated unnerving ripples in the Force, incited anxiety among most Jedi throughout the galaxy, and increase Anakin Skywalker’s bloodlust; on similar grounds, he and Plagueis tipped the balance of the Force to the dark side through meditation. Under murkier circumstances, we know he mentally subjugated the twenty billion inhabitants of the planet Byss and transformed it from a nascent world to one of the strongest dark side sites in the galaxy; he was able to use his “mind-fogging powers” to assist Imperial engineers in the burial of a star dreadnought on Coruscant; as well as cloud the collective vision of ten thousand Jedi Knights for over a decade.

If an advantage exists for Vitiate, I’m not seeing a clear and decisive one that would reflect “exponentially greater” mastery of the Force.

3/3

Sorry for the lack of paragraph breaks, I went through and divided up the text wall.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2012 11:45 PM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The_Tempest
Depends on what you mean by plenty of time to study. He was a political operative for decades and spent years masterminding his own rise to power, to say nothing of when he finally micromanaged an unprecedented galactic war by controlling both sides. Hardly a lax schedule. By your reckoning, Sidious must have been a veritable neophyte in the ways of the Force. Now, obviously, everything we know about him says otherwise—but that would require you to reconsider your stringent formula for determining Force mastery.

Actually, you’ve made my point for me: the fact that Bane surpassed other, more experience adepts so quickly is conclusive evidence of what I’ve said all along: time is inconsequential when the adept in question possesses such innate talent. Your argument that the dark side is what confers mastery is undermined completely: his Sith colleagues and classmates were aligned to the dark side as well and could not match his accelerated learning rate.

This is irrelevant; I don’t need a rundown of Revan’s thirst for knowledge as it wasn’t in question. Clearly he was a voracious learner and Force prodigy; that’s precisely my point: time alone would not have conferred on him such an elite command of the Force, which outstripped scholars decades older than he (Kreia? Nyriss?).

No, because if it were merely a product of alignment and time, then all dark siders would progress at comparable rates.

Indeed, clearly there are far more important elements at play than time. Force alignment may very well play a role, but the deciding factor is innate talent.

That depends. Dooku had access to the Jedi Archives, supposedly the single greatest repository of knowledge in the galaxy. Dooku’s skill with fencing was never attributed as obsession nor has it ever been claimed that he spent every waking moment honing his talents in this regard. It is precisely Dooku’s quest to “learn the secrets of the dark side” that enticed him to leave the order (Darth Plagueis). Whether or not he was as lustful of knowledge as Vitiate or the Emperor is not the question; the fact remains that he was, by all accounts, an inquisitive mind with access to a wealth of Force knowledge and a considerable amount of time to slake such thirst.

No, this logically is not true. As you confessed earlier, you perceive the two as being very close in abilities. Where does Vitiate’s “exponentially” superior mastery relative to the Emperor’s manifest?

That’s the trap, you see. It’s not enough to claim that Vitiate’s mastery is greater; that has been acknowledged as absolutely possible. You claimed that it is “off the charts” and tremendously superior. Where is the evidence for this? Where is such peerless mastery made manifest? Your formula requires that, since Vitiate had exponentially greater time to study, the results must be exponentially greater as well.

Yet I’ve shown you plenty of examples (a few you have unwittingly provided yourself) where this is not the case at all. Next to these, your formula alone cannot stand. A cursory examination of their relative feats hardly suggests a titanic advantage for Vitiate.

Unaided, we know Vitiate overpowered Tol Braga’s strike team and destroyed droids; on a dark side nexus, he’s created “shadow clones,” unleashed a telekinetic wave that put Revan on his ass, and a storm of lightning that sheared through the former’s defenses and reduced him to a smoldering heap. Ritually, we know he orchestrated an effort with the participation of thousands of Sith Lords that enabled him to absorb their power, along with the life-force of the entire planet, and reduced it to either an extremely powerful dark side nexus or a world devoid of the Force entirely; similarly, he was able to bind the wills of the Imperial Guardsmen to him and incite perpetual lightning storms across the surface of Dromund Kaas. Under murkier circumstances, we know he’s telepathically enthralled Force users and purged two incarnations of the Dark Council and may have mentally ensnared the Sith Lords on Medriaas before the ritual began.

Unaided, we know Sidious overpowered three of the finest swordsmen in the Jedi Order, defeated and deflected attacks from hundreds of adversaries each in conjunction with Plagueis, curbstomped Darth Maul and Savage Opress combined, overpowered Starkiller, and reduced three Sith acolytes to ash and slain dozens of treacherous stormtroopers with Force lightning. Additionally, we know that he is capable of loosing world-killing Force storms “with mere thought and inclination.” On a dark side nexus, he’s disintegrated lightsabers, shrugged off the crushing impact of a ton of machinery, overpowered Luke Skywalker and used the dark side to break his will. Ritually, we know he radiated unnerving ripples in the Force, incited anxiety among most Jedi throughout the galaxy, and increase Anakin Skywalker’s bloodlust; on similar grounds, he and Plagueis tipped the balance of the Force to the dark side through meditation. Under murkier circumstances, we know he mentally subjugated the twenty billion inhabitants of the planet Byss and transformed it from a nascent world to one of the strongest dark side sites in the galaxy; he was able to use his “mind-fogging powers” to assist Imperial engineers in the burial of a star dreadnought on Coruscant; as well as cloud the collective vision of ten thousand Jedi Knights for over a decade.

If an advantage exists for Vitiate, I’m not seeing a clear and decisive one that would reflect “exponentially greater” mastery of the Force.

3/3

Sorry for the lack of paragraph breaks, I went through and divided up the text wall.

Vitiate also created and imprisoned hundreds of thousands of beasts and Sith Acolytes and Sith Lords in the Dark Temple on Dromund Kaas, he also forced Vodal Kressh, a powerful Sith Sorcerer and Alchemist, into another tomb on Athiss where he was forced to rest.

Sidious created the Chrysalides, Dark Side powered Rancors. He bestowed great power in the Dark Side upon his Sith Executors, increasing their Force sensitivity with a mere gesture. He bestowed his android Shadow Droids with the ability to touch the Dark Side. Like Vitiate and Vodal Kressh, Sidious drove the powerful Grand Jedi Master Yoda into exile on Dagobah, which did have a Dark Side Nexus in which Luke confronted an apparition resembling Vader.

They both displayed alchemical abilities and created monsters in their time. However, Sidious obviously had a greater possession of Sith and Jedi knowledge after conquering the galaxy and raiding billions of worlds of holocrons and scripts pertaining to lost and unfounded knowledge of the Force. Sidious could learn the secrets of the Nightsisters who's powers operated similarly to the Ones on Mortis, he could gather material from the Sorcerers of Rhand, this is possibly would gave him his powers in Dark Empire. He even found information from the Lost Tribe of the Sith.

A final indication of Sidious' greater knowledge was his Dark Side Compendium, a book which required the vastest knowledge in the Mythos to write, though he did not have time to finish it.

Sidious was the only Sith, and so all the power went to him, he also proved to be the most capable Sith of the Rule of Two, as each generation of Sith became more capable than the last by defeated their master and taking their place as Dark Lord of the Sith.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Dec 27th, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2012 12:01 AM