KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » No. All cultures are not equal.

No. All cultures are not equal.
Started by: Neon1234

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Neon1234
So glad I've triggered all the Leftists.
Yes. laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 02:25 AM
victreebelvictr is currently offline Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by truejedi
What is United States culture, out of curiosity? I've lived here all my life, and I'm not sure what we could really consider united States culture. Great melting pot indeed.

That is why his entire objection is retarded. Cultures are not monolithic. A particular culture may be good in one area, and bad in another. Or might be measured on a continuum from bad to good across various human rights dimensions. Hell, we have wildly divergent attitudes in different geographic regions in this country. This is just more simple, black and white thinking from underdeveloped conservative minds.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 02:26 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Artol

But like, leaving aside some general limits to morality and where it comes from, I feel like most of us agree that the culture the nazis built was bad, and that there are many cultures that are better than that. I agree that things are nuanced, and that these concepts can and are often misused, but I personally don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater, even as I appreciate a lot of the work that post-modernists have done in challenging ideologies and simplistic narratives.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 02:39 AM
Artol is currently offline Click here to Send Artol a Private Message Find more posts by Artol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Artol

Or to put it in terms of the OP, unreflected ethnocentrism is bad, but sometimes some of the things "your own group" does is just better than what another group does...

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 02:42 AM
Artol is currently offline Click here to Send Artol a Private Message Find more posts by Artol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Artol
Or to put it in terms of the OP, unreflected ethnocentrism is bad, but sometimes some of the things "your own group" does is just better than what another group does...
I don't know who I'm talking to half of the time. It's so much less dynamic this way. Wish I had some down time, but apparently God is always watching you.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 02:50 AM
Downstairsconve is currently offline Click here to Send Downstairsconve a Private Message Find more posts by Downstairsconve Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

I’d like to intercede. Jesus said the truth. When you look away from that for contrapose you really need to ask a truthful question to bring yourself around.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 03:14 AM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neon1234
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ares834
Yeah that’s terrible. But what’s your point? No one is saying, at least in this thread, that America is flawless. Just that certain cultures are better or worse than others. Which, I think the vast majority, would agree with after some thought.

Joim KMC on Discord, it's a fun, laid back place to chat with people.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 03:16 AM
Neon1234 is currently offline Click here to Send Neon1234 a Private Message Find more posts by Neon1234 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

Well put on all points Artol.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 03:45 AM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

The most successful culture is the one that made a 6,000 foot long batwing that can supposedly beat expansion. Intergalactic

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:00 AM
Downstairsconve is currently offline Click here to Send Downstairsconve a Private Message Find more posts by Downstairsconve Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Thank you Artol for your post.

I have the same Professor for Communications 2 starting Jan 11th.

She might bring it up again or not.

I'm not sure if I'll bring it up.
You could grow a pair of testicles and try to talk to her about it after class. Ask her why she believes all cultures are equal, etc. That's what I did when I was in college, I even got into an argument with my comp professor in front of the class on whether or not Lolita is pre-pederasty or not (it's not).

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:06 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

So what I've learnt from this thread, is that Whirly doesn't realize some cultures are superior to others.

I'm sure he thinks the Western world is horrible and oppressive.

Do you think that the "western world" being superior to some (or even all) other cultures in the world means that the "western world" then can not be horrible and oppressive?

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:08 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Yes, because saying not all cultures are equal is prejudice.

Are you retarded?
No, but I think the guy falling hook line and sinker for lazy trolling might be. thumb up

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:09 AM
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NemeBro
Do you think that the "western world" being superior to some (or even all) other cultures in the world means that the "western world" then can not be horrible and oppressive?

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:11 AM
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

Shame

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:11 AM
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, but I think the guy falling hook line and sinker for lazy trolling might be. thumb up
I make millions of after-hour stripper dollars for it.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:12 AM
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

Let us 🙏 for that one

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:12 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

You could grow a pair of testicles and try to talk to her about it after class. Ask her why she believes all cultures are equal, etc. That's what I did when I was in college, I even got into an argument with my comp professor in front of the class on whether or not Lolita is pre-pederasty or not (it's not).

I haven't read Lolita nor seen the movie, but isn't it about a middle aged academic obsessing with a 12 year old girl? Sounds pretty paedobear to me..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:14 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Artol
But like, leaving aside some general limits to morality and where it comes from, I feel like most of us agree that the culture the nazis built was bad, and that there are many cultures that are better than that. I agree that things are nuanced, and that these concepts can and are often misused, but I personally don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater, even as I appreciate a lot of the work that post-modernists have done in challenging ideologies and simplistic narratives.
Nazi Germany is I think a case where the negative aspects of the culture are so hugely detrimental to the livelihoods of enough people that they outweigh any of the positive aspects, if any exist (tbh their perspective on race pretty much dominates all casual discussion of them and I haven't research the culture of Germany at the time enough to know if there were any positives).

Adam is definitely right in that "cultures" are not monolithic and they can carry both positive and negative aspects. Iran's treatment of homosexuals is deplorable, but their treatment of transgendered people (going off memory I might be mistaken) is actually by comparison much more accepting, for example.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:14 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nazi Germany is I think a case where the negative aspects of the culture are so hugely detrimental to the livelihoods of enough people that they outweigh any of the positive aspects, if any exist (tbh their perspective on race pretty much dominates all casual discussion of them and I haven't research the culture of Germany at the time enough to know if there were any positives).

Adam is definitely right in that "cultures" are not monolithic and they can carry both positive and negative aspects. Iran's treatment of homosexuals is deplorable, but their treatment of transgendered people (going off memory I might be mistaken) is actually by comparison much more accepting, for example.

Interesting.

Isn't Iran second behind Thailand for transition surgery? Is transgenderism embraced because its seen as a cash cow industry?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:17 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

Poor Trump will never learn

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:17 AM