KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » No. All cultures are not equal.

No. All cultures are not equal.
Started by: Neon1234

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:21 AM
Downstairsconve is currently offline Click here to Send Downstairsconve a Private Message Find more posts by Downstairsconve Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
Nazi Germany is I think a case where the negative aspects of the culture are so hugely detrimental to the livelihoods of enough people that they outweigh any of the positive aspects, if any exist (tbh their perspective on race pretty much dominates all casual discussion of them and I haven't research the culture of Germany at the time enough to know if there were any positives).

Adam is definitely right in that "cultures" are not monolithic and they can carry both positive and negative aspects. Iran's treatment of homosexuals is deplorable, but their treatment of transgendered people (going off memory I might be mistaken) is actually by comparison much more accepting, for example.

I did a quick 15 minute search for Iran and Transgenderism.

Found this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com...der-person/amp/

quote:
Things changed largely due to the efforts of Maryam Khatoon Molkara. Molkara was fired from her job, forcibly injected with male hormones and put in a psychiatric institution during the 1979 revolution. But thanks to her high-level contacts among Iran’s influential clerics, she was able to get released. Afterwards, she worked with several religious leaders to advocate for trans rights and eventually managed to wrangle a meeting with Ayatollah Khomeini, the “supreme leader” of Iran at the time. Molkara and her group were able to eventually convince Khamenei to pass a fatwa in 1986 declaring gender-confirmation surgery and hormone-replacement therapy religiously acceptable medical procedures.

I gather this Maryam Khatoon Molkara wasn't an average person. Not if she had friends among high level clerics.

If Iran is tolerant of trans people, it sadly appears this is lesz due to grassroots activism, and more because someone important enough for their situation to matter, used their connections to enact change for personal reasons.

Yeah, its to the benefit of many other people, so I can't complain about the outcome. I still reflexively hate to see examples of two tiered justice, where only privileged people get to move social norms, instead of the masses who actually make a society...

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:36 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

Too many dudes not enough females

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:40 AM
Downstairsconve is currently offline Click here to Send Downstairsconve a Private Message Find more posts by Downstairsconve Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Downstairsconve
Restricted

Account Restricted

It benefits the other side of time-thought marginally more

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:40 AM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Trocity
Definitely, was just poking fun. laughing out loud

Montreal/Quebec City are cool places to visit, great night life.
Yeah, they are, I actual spent time in Qurbec in winter once, it was ****ing cold but the nightlife was superb.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 06:05 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by cdtm
Interesting.

Isn't Iran second behind Thailand for transition surgery? Is transgenderism embraced because its seen as a cash cow industry?

It is because the concept of transgender did not exist at the time of the writing of their holy book. So because their holy texts are silent about it, they have no prohibition against it. Another reason why they appear to be more accepting of it, is because forced sexual reassignment is how they "cure" homosexuality in their culture. If you are a man who has sex with men, you must transition to a woman or be executed. It is almost like I said, that cultures are not monolithic, and they can be good in one area and bad in another.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 06:07 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
It is because the concept of transgender did not exist at the time of the writing of their holy book. So because their holy texts are silent about it, they have no prohibition against it. Another reason why they appear to be more accepting of it, is because forced sexual reassignment is how they "cure" homosexuality in their culture. If you are a man who has sex with men, you must transition to a woman or be executed. It is almost like I said, that cultures are not monolithic, and they can be good in one area and bad in another.
this is true as I stated earlier, you can't use a single metric to define a society.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 06:09 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

The concept of cross dressing and homosexuality has been a thing since the beginning of mankind really.

I personally discourage it extremely, and any society that supports it is disturbingly corrupted.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 08:18 AM
victreebelvictr is currently offline Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by victreebelvictr
The concept of cross dressing and homosexuality has been a thing since the beginning of mankind really.

I personally discourage it extremely, and any society that supports it is disturbingly corrupted.

so basically you're a piece of shit?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 01:07 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

N eon... thoughts on your friend? laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 01:18 PM
Neon1234
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NemeBro
Do you think that the "western world" being superior to some (or even all) other cultures in the world means that the "western world" then can not be horrible and oppressive?

Originally posted by ares834
Yeah that’s terrible. But what’s your point? No one is saying, at least in this thread, that America is flawless. Just that certain cultures are better or worse than others. Which, I think the vast majority, would agree with after some thought.

Joim KMC on Discord, it's a fun, laid back place to chat with people.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 02:06 PM
Neon1234 is currently offline Click here to Send Neon1234 a Private Message Find more posts by Neon1234 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
this is true as I stated earlier, you can't use a single metric to define a society.

Doesn't stop people from doing it to salve national pride, though.

I mean, Brits do it all the time, they love talking down to Americans based any number of flaws that prove UK better America.

At least Brits get to have national pride, though. Here in the US, the only one who get to do that are rednecks, white nationalists, and racists. The "good" Democrats are supposed to hate America as much as other countries do.

One of the bad features of Democrats, imo, if you can't be an advocate for your own country, who can?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 03:57 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Doesn't stop people from doing it to salve national pride, though.

I mean, Brits do it all the time, they love talking down to Americans based any number of flaws that prove UK better America.

At least Brits get to have national pride, though. Here in the US, the only one who get to do that are rednecks, white nationalists, and racists. The "good" Democrats are supposed to hate America as much as other countries do.

One of the bad features of Democrats, imo, if you can't be an advocate for your own country, who can?
Well yes, look at British Covid. It's the best Covid in the world. You show me a better Covid. Developed in the UK. It's a world beater, people said we would struggle to export anything after Brexit, British Covid is our biggest trade deal ever and proves no one does it beater than Britain. Far more virulent than Chinese Covid. Britain has a Covid we can be proud of.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:17 PM
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

When culture prodigy is probable you have a shift in the electromagnetic spectrum. It doesn’t mean that your better than a different society. It means that the Star of Bethlehem has been seen.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 04:28 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Well yes, look at British Covid. It's the best Covid in the world. You show me a better Covid. Developed in the UK. It's a world beater, people said we would struggle to export anything after Brexit, British Covid is our biggest trade deal ever and proves no one does it beater than Britain. Far more virulent than Chinese Covid. Britain has a Covid we can be proud of.

I think the kids would call my "point" an "epic fail". laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 06:56 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think the kids would call my "point" an "epic fail". laughing out loud
laughing out loud We are very self deprecating, we are well aware in the 18th and 19th Centuries we created the modern world. We ushered in the first industrial revolution, we also created the first Gulags.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 06:59 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

This thread has been done before.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 07:15 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
so basically you're a piece of shit?
Not really. The whole act just is terrible from both a secular and religious view point.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 07:20 PM
victreebelvictr is currently offline Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neon1234
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not really. The whole act just is terrible from both a secular and religious view point.

He's a troll.

I would suggest ignoring him.

Joim KMC on Discord, it's a fun, laid back place to chat with people.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 07:24 PM
Neon1234 is currently offline Click here to Send Neon1234 a Private Message Find more posts by Neon1234 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

How am I a troll?

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 07:24 PM