KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Maul vs. Bastila

Maul vs. Bastila
Started by: Master Vos

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lightsnake

If it came to a sheer test of lightsabers, I could see Maul walking out...however, this'll a tough call

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 02:57 AM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lightsnake
If it came to a sheer test of lightsabers, I could see Maul walking out...however, this'll a tough call

The same Maul who got killed by a Padawan?

I'll quote Traya:

If you were to battle an old Sith Lord in a lightsabre duel, you would find that we're only children playing with toys.

Judging by the fact that the KOTOR Era was 4000 years prior to the OT and PT, this could mean that Lightsaber skills could have deteriorated since the 4000 year gap considering they deteriorated throughout the timeline of the Old Sith Lords and the KOTOR Era according to Traya. Not to mention Bastila had shown how powerful she was in the Force with her battle meditation technique. And the fact she dueled with Revan and survived.

Maul? He said one line throughout the movie and got killed by a Padawan.

An Ancient Prophecy . . . The deity shall walk forth . . .

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:06 AM
Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Traya was refering to lightsaber masters well before Bastila's time. That quote supports nothing.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:18 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

IT'd be fair to note that Kreia's credibility is less than impeccable there, considering what we've seen of the Ancient Sith....and Bastila's hardly one of them. If anything, the sith got stronger thanks to Bane. Bastila never dueled Revan. The duel'd yet to begin whatsoever and battle meditation isn't going to help you in a straight up duel.

Yes, Maul was an atrocious excuse for a character and an arrogant fool, but he's still a good fighter.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:20 AM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

IT'd be fair to note that Kreia's credibility is less than impeccable there, considering what we've seen of the Ancient Sith....and Bastila's hardly one of them. If anything, the sith got stronger thanks to Bane. Bastila never dueled Revan. The duel'd yet to begin whatsoever and battle meditation isn't going to help you in a straight up duel.

Yes, Maul was an atrocious excuse for a character and an arrogant fool, but he's still a good fighter.

Since you shot down my points...

It's fair for me to do the same.

Show me venerable proof that the Sith grew stronger after bane. Show me proof that Maul is a good fighter, especially after he was killed by Padawan.

Why wouldn't Bastila use the Battle Meditation on her and Maul? Is it not a Battle? Why not just use it on herself and make Maul lose the will to fight?

I see.... Where does it say you can't use Battle Meditation with two people? Can you show me?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:27 AM
Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArthasKnight
Dark Lord of the Sith

Welcome back Janus.

A character's amount of lines in a movie reveals nothing about his skills in combat. I could be the greatest fighter ever and stay silent my entire life. Bastila's Battle Meditation or her prowess with the Force won't help her here because this is a battle with restricted Force powers (i.e. no KotOR Force powers or the like). Maul proved himself to be an excellent fighter with a weapon that was difficult to handle. How many Sith Lords has Bastila killed? Maul killed one of the great Jedi Masters of the era in Qui-Gon Jinn.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:28 AM
Click here to Send ArthasKnight a Private Message Find more posts by ArthasKnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArthasKnight
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Maul vs. Bastila

Originally posted by Master Vos
So Darth Maul decides to fight against Bastila. Who would win, however it's a lightsaber duel ONLY, NO FORCE POWERS!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:29 AM
Click here to Send ArthasKnight a Private Message Find more posts by ArthasKnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Bastila never dueled Revan.

Ahem. On top of the Rakata Temple.

You are right though, we really can't take what Kreia said as absolute truth, since more credible people have stated Qui-gon as in Yoda's league, which is obviously BS.

Bastile was thought to be powerful enough to defeat Revan though, as she was the leader of the team meant to kill him. Remember that Masters like Vrook and Kavar were avaliable, so it speaks very much in Bastila's favor.

I think Bastila can take this, because she was believe to be able to take Revan, or at least have a shot at it, and has a lot of experince.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:29 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArthasKnight
Dark Lord of the Sith

Originally posted by Sorgo

Show me venerable proof that the Sith grew stronger after bane. Show me proof that Maul is a good fighter, especially after he was killed by Padawan.

Why wouldn't Bastila use the Battle Meditation on her and Maul? Is it not a Battle? Why not just use it on herself and make Maul lose the will to fight?

I see.... Where does it say you can't use Battle Meditation with two people? Can you show me?

Read the first post, no Force powers. And Obi-Wan was hardly the ordinary Padawan.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:30 AM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Obi-wan was just a day from becoming a Knight. Not really a padawan, as he was ready for the trials and all.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:32 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ArthasKnight
Welcome back Janus.

A character's amount of lines in a movie reveals nothing about his skills in combat. I could be the greatest fighter ever and stay silent my entire life. Bastila's Battle Meditation or her prowess with the Force won't help her here because this is a battle with restricted Force powers (i.e. no KotOR Force powers or the like). Maul proved himself to be an excellent fighter with a weapon that was difficult to handle. How many Sith Lords has Bastila killed? Maul killed one of the great Jedi Masters of the era in Qui-Gon Jinn.

The greatest Jedi Master?

Say what?

Actually, Bastila could have killed over fifty at least.

Depending on the quests you took her with on KOTOR.

What makes you think Bastila isn't a good fighter. Doesn't she use the same weapon? Her default Lightsaber *IS* A double bladed one.

Kenobi wasn't an Ordinary Padawan? Sure he was. He was STILL a Padawan and still hadn't recieved much training. Maul was under direct training from the Man who some people think to be the most powerful Sith Lord and he still lost to a Padawan?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:35 AM
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
Obi-wan was just a day from becoming a Knight. Not really a padawan, as he was ready for the trials and all.

Proof that he was a day away from becoming a Knight, please.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:36 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Ah, first off... Battle meditation IS meditation. It requires her sitting down and using her powers. Maul would WTFpwn her in that case.

Second, I like how Kreia's a shakey source when it comes to history of the Sith (Which WAS her specialty) but Han Solo is the qualified expert on the number of star systems, or Jaina is the qualified expert on Luke's fighting style, or another just as shakey source is embraced with open arms here.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:36 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

Gladly, Sorgo:

1. Bane's doctrine decreed that the Sith passed on everything they knew. Palpatine's feats-even in his ROTS state-were nothing short of incredible. Palpatine had access to the Holocron Darth Andeddu-one of the Ancients, apparently...Sidious, monster that he is, even before DE, could be an anomaly, but considering how the Sith were getting progessively stronger-that's from the ROTS novelization and Dark Rendevous and evolving...Plus, Bane's sheer hatred made manifest in a ritual turned a jungle world into a desert...and Zannah was even stronger than him

2. Maul slaughtered a fortress worth of Black Sun's best, along with a Nightsister. He's also killed Jedi and he's done so very well.

3. The entire point of Battle MEditation is it's meditation which requires concentration to help your own side....try it in a mano a mano duel, your head will fly off your shoulders...or Maul'd die laughing.

As for Revan/Bastila, I was more referring to when Bastila was Jedi, not Sith

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:40 AM
Lightsnake

Originally posted by Ianus
Ah, first off... Battle meditation IS meditation. It requires her sitting down and using her powers. Maul would WTFpwn her in that case.

Second, I like how Kreia's a shakey source when it comes to history of the Sith (Which WAS her specialty) but Han Solo is the qualified expert on the number of star systems, or Jaina is the qualified expert on Luke's fighting style, or another just as shakey source is embraced with open arms here.

Kreia lived ina time post 1000 years and her statements are nothing like the Sith actually WERE? Whereas Han and Jaina are living in, viewing and taking on those things.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:42 AM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Proof that he was a day away from becoming a Knight, please.

It happened. Watch the movie. He was promoted to a Knight for beating Maul. He didn't even have to take the trials becuase the Council was so impressed.

Janus, there is a thing called the battle meld which is battle meditation on a very small scale but more concentrated. Jedi can fight even while using this(source: almost every NJO book and DN book).

I agree with you that Jaina was in a state of speaking with hyperbole, but Han had no reason to. He was trying to comfort Leia. Also, if you look at a map of the galaxy, assuming there is equal planet density, 12 million looks to be pretty close, maybe a few hundred thousand off.

Notice the Leviathan, which was able to rip apart Ancient Jedi(who, logically should be arond equal to the Sith in power since they were able to defeat them on mutiple occasions[Hundred-Year Darkness, Great Sith War]) was defeated by a Jedi from later times. They were good(better from what I have seen), but the statement is hyperbole.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:50 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Battle meld I don't recall Bastila using.

And considering that Kriea's a historian with access to Korriban and Malachor, I would trust her like you would trust your history teacher talking about the Crusades.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:53 AM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

1. Bane's doctrine decreed that the Sith passed on everything they knew. Palpatine's feats-even in his ROTS state-were nothing short of incredible. Palpatine had access to the Holocron Darth Andeddu-one of the Ancients, apparently...Sidious, monster that he is, even before DE, could be an anomaly, but considering how the Sith were getting progessively stronger-that's from the ROTS novelization and Dark Rendevous and evolving...Plus, Bane's sheer hatred made manifest in a ritual turned a jungle world into a desert...and Zannah was even stronger than him

Andeddu was from 600 B.B.Y., not an Ancient.

Notice that Bane's Sith didn't always challenge people in a real fight(Palpatine killing Plagueis), so they weren't necessarily more powerful.

2. Maul slaughtered a fortress worth of Black Sun's best, along with a Nightsister. He's also killed Jedi and he's done so very well.

The Ewoks killed more of the Empires best. Nightsisters weren't necessarily very powerful, generally much weaker then Jedi. He's killed one Jedi. The other two commited suicide.

Bastila has killed dozens of Sith and gone up against the Dark Lord Malak toe-to-toe.

3. The entire point of Battle MEditation is it's meditation which requires concentration to help your own side....try it in a mano a mano duel, your head will fly off your shoulders...or Maul'd die laughing.

When used on large groups of people, yes, but this is just one, meaning a battle meld can be used(which is the same thing, but requires no sitting, they can still fight).

I don't know why it would help though. Maul is to strong minded to be effected much. Moral loss wont hurt him, he loves combat to much.

I also don't know why anyone is arguing this. Battle meditation improves coordination between troops, it needs at least 2 people to do anything except make Bastila feel better about herself.

As for Revan/Bastila, I was more referring to when Bastila was Jedi, not Sith

Unless the Jedi one is the one that is fighting, it doesn't matter.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 03:59 AM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Originally posted by Ianus
Battle meld I don't recall Bastila using.

And considering that Kriea's a historian with access to Korriban and Malachor, I would trust her like you would trust your history teacher talking about the Crusades.

Like I said in my last post, neither Meld or mediation will matter.

Kreia is also a fanboy, unless you really think Revan is the heart of the force.

The fact that people who beat Ancient Sith lost to something that Kyp took down makes me look down on that statement. Unless Kyp makes them look like children too.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 04:01 AM
Lightsnake

1. No, Andeddu was dressed in Ancient Sith gear. And entombed on Korriban. And had a Holocron of Ancient Sith design

2. Bastila also lost that fight with Malak pitifully. And Maul literally waltzed into Black Sun's fortress and slaughtered all of them head on.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 04:01 AM