KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » That lightning feat in SW VIII (spoiler warning)

That lightning feat in SW VIII (spoiler warning)
Started by: Total Warrior

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

That lightning feat in SW VIII (spoiler warning)

Surprised no one already discussed about it but what about Yoda creating a storm of lightning with ease? You know oh that scene where he burnt that tree. It’s pretty dope for Canon standards right? I mean in Legenda we had Gethzerion creating storms out of pure anger, but I don’t think we had something like this in Canon. So what do you think ? Is it a good feat for Yoda?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:31 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Haschwalth

Bendu

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:42 AM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

It's nice and all, but it's also a massive plot hole. Why didn't Yoda do this to Sidious or Vader?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:54 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Psychotron
It's nice and all, but it's also a massive plot hole. Why didn't Yoda do this to Sidious or Vader?
maybe he learned it after RotS

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:02 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

I meant why didn't he do it as a Force Ghost, dummy.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:09 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

He's a Force Ghost i.e. unlimited power as a result of being one with the Force. It's not something you can ascribe to normal Yoda

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:18 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

I think what our friend means is why didn't Yoda do this in ROTJ to lend aid to Luke and its not really a plot hole as hes had 30 years as a force ghost to learn how to do stuff like that I suppose

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:31 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Originally posted by relentless1
I think what our friend means is why didn't Yoda do this in ROTJ to lend aid to Luke and its not really a plot hole as hes had 30 years as a force ghost to learn how to do stuff like that I suppose

Where was he going to draw the lightning from on the Death Star?

And Yoda still doesn't directly intervene in any fight, as with RotJ. Force Ghosts only ever communicate to individuals in private.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:55 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

It's just an asspull. If Force ghosts can affect the physical world then why are they sitting on their asses? Even if he couldn't do it in RotJ, why didn't he kill Snoke in TFA or TLJ? Why doesn't he do something about Kylo?

The writing is completely screwed up in this one.

Originally posted by SunRazer
Where was he going to draw the lightning from on the Death Star?

And Yoda still doesn't directly intervene in any fight, as with RotJ. Force Ghosts only ever communicate to individuals in private.

It doesn't have to be on the Death Star, Sidious and Vader go out in the open at some points.

The point is they just made this up. Ghosts couldn't affect the physical world in the movies.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:57 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Especially since force lightning is the art of the dark side...

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 12:20 PM
Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

It's just an asspull. If Force ghosts can affect the physical world then why are they sitting on their asses? Even if he couldn't do it in RotJ, why didn't he kill Snoke in TFA or TLJ? Why doesn't he do something about Kylo?

It doesn't have to be on the Death Star, Sidious and Vader go out in the open at some points.

The point is they just made this up. Ghosts couldn't affect the physical world in the movies.

Force Ghosts have never been able to intervene in conflicts, as established since ESB. The idea of them affecting the physical world is something you might doubt but that has already been established, even in Canon. Their doing so is just a matter of significance for instigating private revelation for their old friends; they literally never do anything else and neither does Yoda in this film.

That being said, I found the scene a bit jarring myself.

Last edited by SunRazer on Dec 15th, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 12:28 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by SunRazer
Force Ghosts have never been able to intervene in conflicts, as established since ESB. The idea of them affecting the physical world is something you might doubt but that has already been established, even in Canon. Their doing so is just a matter of significance for instigating private revelation for their old friends; they literally never do anything else and neither does Yoda in this film.

That being said, I found the scene a bit jarring myself.

I know they don't but the question is why? Before VIII we could just assume they're unable to affect the physical world (in the movies at least), but now there's just no explanation. Yoda could have zapped Snoke while he was taking walk or something.

Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe

This too.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 12:52 PM
Bentley
Seitei

I'm going to assume that it's the fact that the balance of the force is tilted towards the darkside that blocks the Force Ghosts from actively intervening into worldy matters. Also they probably are by nature more inclined to restraint and nurture than to direct action since they believe the Force guides everything that lives.

(Through MIDICLOOORIANS!!!)

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 01:08 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Yeah this was hilarious. It made that hilarious ghost Ben Kenobi fight with Starkiller seem all the more plausible.

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 01:59 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

Originally posted by Azronger
He's a Force Ghost i.e. unlimited power as a result of being one with the Force. It's not something you can ascribe to normal Yoda

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:24 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe

It was natural lighting?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:33 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I was always thought it evident that ghosts could use the Force. They just didn’t as it wasn’t their job to fight anymore but rather to guide and observe.

It was a cool scene. Even if the Yoda puppet initially looked like shit.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:35 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by Zenwolf
It was natural lighting?

What's the difference between natural lightning and dark side lightning?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:53 PM
Zenwolf

What's the difference between natural lightning and dark side lightning?

One is a natural occurrence and the other isn't. There shouldn't be any hate involved with controlling natural lighting.

It's just altering the environment around.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:59 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The idea of Force ghosts affecting the physical realm is from an ESB deleted scene, but also in TCW.

Anyway, Anch-to is an uber nexus also.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 03:13 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote