KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Started by: silentfaf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
caballera

i didn't think i was being redundant....just excited for the movie!

Old Post Mar 16th, 2004 04:16 AM
caballera is currently offline Click here to Send caballera a Private Message Find more posts by caballera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Poptarts

sorry if that came out harsh...me too! i'm gonna check out the trailer....

Old Post Mar 16th, 2004 08:38 AM
Poptarts is currently offline Click here to Send Poptarts a Private Message Find more posts by Poptarts Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
caballera

no prob at all. are YOU a Kaufman fan?

Old Post Mar 16th, 2004 09:11 AM
caballera is currently offline Click here to Send caballera a Private Message Find more posts by caballera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
caballera

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I saw it. It's great. Check out the trailerhere Jim Carrey does an incredible job and so does Kate Winslet. Wait, everyone does. I love Charlie Kaufman. He's such a talented writer.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2004 06:39 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

There's already been 3 threads on the same movie, including one you started yourself.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2004 02:48 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Citadel
Why you look so sexy

idk about kate winslet, wasnt she in titanic? it seems like this is a reeeeally different kind of role for her.

we know jim's up for anything, AND we know he'll do it right.

and all i can say is if this movie's got elijah wood in it, im so definately gonna frickin see it!

mmm, elijah. ninja

Old Post Mar 31st, 2004 02:05 AM
Citadel is currently offline Click here to Send Citadel a Private Message Find more posts by Citadel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

This was a great movie. Very very interesting.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2004 12:43 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RebelPhoenix
I work in mysterious ways

Re: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

quote:
Originally posted by silentfaf
I have read the plot and some of the script and i can say this one looks GREAT, and i think this one just might get Jim carrey the oscar he deserves. rest of the cast includes Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson, Elijah Wood and the Director Michel Gondry

SYNOPSIS

Joel (Jim Carrey) is stunned to discover that his girlfriend Clementine (Kate Winslet) has had her memories of their tumultuous relationship erased. Out of desperation, he contacts the inventor of the process, Dr. Howard Mierzwiak (Tom Wilkinson), to have Clementine removed from his own memory. But as Joel's memories progressively disappear, he begins to rediscover their earlier passion. From deep within the recesses of his brain, Joel attempts to escape the procedure. As Dr. Mierzwiak and his crew (Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood) chase him through the maze of his memories, it's clear that Joel just can't get her out of his head.

I'm not usually into romantic movies but this one was really beautiful in the way he realised he didn't want to lose an important part of his life like that and even though [SPOILER - highlight to read]: he lost the battle against the memory loss they still meet up in the end and fall in love all over again. I usually hate the destiny business but this was really sweet, like in What Dreams May Come when they die, reincarnate together and fall in love again. I think I've watched too many movies where's tons of self sacrifice and tragedy involved which is why this one appeals to me lol, the idea that even though circumstances may be bad [SPOILER - highlight to read]: they'll always find each other in this life or another (symbolic for after they lose their memories) Anyway, enough of the sappiness stick out tongue

Last edited by RebelPhoenix on Apr 4th, 2004 at 02:14 PM

Old Post Apr 4th, 2004 02:05 PM
RebelPhoenix is currently offline Click here to Send RebelPhoenix a Private Message Find more posts by RebelPhoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
caballera

quote:
Originally posted by Donald Kaufman
Anyone familiar wit Kaufman?

Very familiar. I love him. The only one i haven't seen is Human Nature. Have you seen it? If so, how is it? P.S. love your user name.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 07:32 PM
caballera

quote:
Originally posted by Citadel
idk about kate winslet, wasnt she in titanic? it seems like this is a reeeeally different kind of role for her.

we know jim's up for anything, AND we know he'll do it right.

and all i can say is if this movie's got elijah wood in it, im so definately gonna frickin see it!

mmm, elijah. ninja

Yeah, Kate Winslet was in Titanic but don't judge her from that. She's great in ESOTSM and if you've ever seen Heavenly Creatures, she's amazing in that as well. She's actually a very versatile actress.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 07:35 PM
caballera

quote:
Originally posted by Myth
Adaptation is interesting but its almost got no point to it. But if Eternal Sunshine is written by the same guy then I have to see it (plus I like Jim Carrey). Being John Malcovich was so great as well.

I can't believe you think Adaptation has no point. It's a giant critique of Hollywood blockbusters woven straight into the structure of the film. There are a thousand other points too, but I don't want to spoil the film for others because I'll have to give specific examples AND it'll take too long.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 07:39 PM
caballera

quote:
Originally posted by foxota5
im not talking about the effects. im talking that the end of the movie breaks all the conventional rules of screenwriting. the end is against the forulas in books. it ends with how the teacher says never to end a screenplay, with whats called a deus ex machina. its when the characters die and the plot results from somthing totally random, having nothing to do with the rest of the movie. and dont complain if you havent seen the whole film. st

I realize this is an old convo but i'm right with you, foxota. You're so right. The end of the movie is brilliant. In fact the whole movie is brilliant but that discussion has come and gone.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 07:42 PM
caballera

quote:
Originally posted by max kronister
OK, there you are---
That's kind of a strange title for a movie isn't it???
What does it really mean, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind???

Sorry I'm writing so much everyone! But anyway, i saw the movie since we talked so the title of the film has to do with something that's said in the movie. I don't want to give it away but it's in there and it'll make sense when you see it.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 07:45 PM
lillerenee

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently viewed this movie and enjoyed it very much, especially the acting. Jim Carey and Kate Winslet had not formerly been two of my favorites, but their performances in this movie were exceptional examples of performing artistry. Now I have been able to find a synopsis of this movie, a critique of the film script, reactions by viewers, and other gerneral information about this movie, but I have not been able to find a discussion of the details relating to the story line. Of course its sci-fi quality adds a mysterious element and requires a great deal of creativity from the producer. Here is my main question. It seemed to me that there were THREE initial meetings of the couple outlined in the film. Once they met on a beach at a party, once they met on a train going out to (or returning from?) Long Island, and once they met at a library (post memory erasure). Perhaps I missed something here, but why were there TWO different pre-relationship meetings depicted?
Also, when Clemetine was present in the process of going through his memories (and he even had the ability to bring her into memories in order to hide in memories) where she had not actually participated, How was she present? Was it all his subconscious mind? In fact, do you believe different levels of his mental abilities were being displayed all at the same time? I would like to hear anyone's comments on these subjects. Thank you.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2004 01:07 PM
lillerenee is currently offline Click here to Send lillerenee a Private Message Find more posts by lillerenee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
caballera

wow! i didn't think about these things until you brought them up... when they meet in the bookstore (at least in the screenplay) joel hasn't been erased yet, but clementine has. when they meet on the train, they've both been erased. when they meet on the beach, they've actually never met before. smile

Old Post Jun 7th, 2004 09:58 AM
PsychoFreeak

is it funny??
if jim's in it then it has 2 b funny right?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2004 08:28 AM
PsychoFreeak is currently offline Click here to Send PsychoFreeak a Private Message Find more posts by PsychoFreeak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Re: Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

quote:
Originally posted by lillerenee
when Clemetine was present in the process ... Was it all his subconscious mind?

Yes.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2004 08:49 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Re: Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

quote:
Originally posted by lillerenee
THREE initial meetings of the couple outlined in the film. Once they met on a beach at a party, once they met on a train going out to (or returning from?) Long Island, and once they met at a library (post memory erasure). Perhaps I missed something here, but why were there TWO different pre-relationship meetings depicted?

From what I remember...

Spoiler warning anyone? : [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The structure of the film is laid out to make you think that the first meeting we are shown in the movie is the actual first meeting - a flashback to a happier time pre-brain wipe.

The first indication that this isn't the case is when it's mentioned (by david cross ?) that they met at a beach picnic with friends. It's at that point that (if you are paying attention) you should be able to work out that they will get together again after the wipe.

So when we eventually see the memory of them meeting on the beach (at the picnic) that is in fact the first time they met - and the fact that they both return to the beach post-memory wipe indicates that they both are drawn there by some sort of residual feelings of loss and love.

The "Third meeting" you mention is - I think - a constructed scenario in Joels head rather than a memory of a specific event, but you would have to be a little more specific about which scene you mean.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2004 10:01 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
caballera

quote:
Originally posted by ~Johnny.D_Girl~
is it funny??
if jim's in it then it has 2 b funny right?

It's more off-beat than traditionally funny.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 12:18 PM
Fan of LOTR
Coolio

When does this come out on DVD?

You know what Napolean... You can Leave.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2004 04:37 PM
Fan of LOTR is currently offline Click here to Send Fan of LOTR a Private Message Find more posts by Fan of LOTR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote