KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » What book are you reading now?

What book are you reading now?
Started by: crazy_c

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (142): « First ... « 135 136 [137] 138 139 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

Just finished Oathbrigner the other day. While good, I was left disappointed as it's not nearly as great as the first two. It seems to suffer from being a "middle book" and there were far too many PoVs at the climax IMO.

It also doesn't help that my boy Kaladin [SPOILER - highlight to read]: was basically irrelevant for the last two parts of the book.

So good book over all, but not nearly to the level of the first 2.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 05:58 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Kal was shortchanged? Fuc.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2017 06:33 PM
UCanShootMyNova is currently offline Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Hellboy: The Lost Army

which i just finished.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2017 01:20 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naugrim
Restricted

Account Restricted

How was it?

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:00 PM
Naugrim is currently offline Click here to Send Naugrim a Private Message Find more posts by Naugrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Waking Up by Sam Harris

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 09:11 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadMojoScootr
Rusty Cage

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton

Old Post Feb 14th, 2018 12:24 AM
BadMojoScootr is currently offline Click here to Send BadMojoScootr a Private Message Find more posts by BadMojoScootr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I just started my read through of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. So far it's not as difficult a read as others made it out to be. It does take focus since there doesn't seem to be any throw away entries and you have to pick up on things that aren't flat out spelled out for you though. I completely missed the significance of a passage because I was dead exhausted while reading it and I completely missed out on the fact that it was a character that showed up earlier in the novel. So far I like it. People seem to say it overtook ASOIAF as their favorite fantasy series so we'll see about that as I get farther in.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 06:18 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I just started my read through of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series...

I've tried a couple of times but just couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.

I've been reading a lot of light novels recently and two I'd recommend that are absolutely fantastic, better than most Western fantasy series:

Coiling Dragon series by I Eat Tomatoes
The King's Avatar series by Hu Dielan

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 03:20 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Dreampanther
I've tried a couple of times but just couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.

I've been reading a lot of light novels recently and two I'd recommend that are absolutely fantastic, better than most Western fantasy series:

Coiling Dragon series by I Eat Tomatoes
The King's Avatar series by Hu Dielan
I'll look into those! I'm always up for expanding my backlog

I'll also let you know how Malazan is for me to see if I can change your mind once I get more into it. So far I'm absolutely loving it though

PWNT

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 06:14 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneFirestorm

Wow this thread has become highly inactive.

The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais
The main character Elvis Cole a PI is the narrator, and it is a great entertaining book. I'm confused as to why Elvis apologized to a kid since I didn't read anything where he did something wrong that hurt the kid in the Chapter.

When Animals Attack
The 70 Best Horror movies with Killer Animals
A great book with reading about Beaks a Shlock version of the Terrific Movie The Birds except in this movie a explanation of why the birds are attacking.

Elliot Ness from the Terrific Action Crime Drama Mob Movie The Untouchables

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 06:56 PM
TheOneFirestorm is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneFirestorm a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneFirestorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by TheOneFirestorm
Wow this thread has become highly inactive.

The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais
The main character Elvis Cole a PI is the narrator, and it is a great entertaining book.

Ha, yeah, I quite liked the Elvis Cole books. What's his friend's name again? The one with the sunglasses? Pike? I started reading them after reading the Robert B Parker books and the John Sandford books.

I don't really post here a lot anymore because as you've said, the thread isn't that active. I mentioned previously that I've been exploring the Asian fantasy genre so a lot of wuxia and xianxia novels.

I Shall Seal The Heavens is fantastic, a must-read for anyone who likes fantasy. Lots of action and humour with a great MC.

The World of Cultivation is also great and thankfully not quite as long as ISSTH.

At the moment I'm reading Infinite Competitive Dungeon Society. So far, so good. Slightly sillier and more fun.

Books I'm reading and enjoying but waiting for the translation to catch up:

The King's Avatar.
Rebirth of the Thief who Roamed the World.
Overgeared.
Shura's Wrath.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post May 23rd, 2018 08:25 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell

Old Post May 23rd, 2018 08:48 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sunset Phoenix
Daybreaker

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown

Old Post May 25th, 2018 06:07 PM
Sunset Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Sunset Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Sunset Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneFirestorm

The Monkey's Raincoat The 1st book in The Elvis Cole PI Series

Chapter 22 and Page 110

Several pages I read yesterday involved a rescue, and a gun fight involving Elvis and badd guys, also a death threat by a Criminal Boss that might be a Narcotics Kingpin since the theft of dope is brought up.

Possibly I might finish it this week.

When Animals Attack
The 70 Best Horror Movies with Killer Animals

By best not as in great instead killer animal movies that are entertaining, and intentional effort to be a decent or great movie.
It's a great book I got exposed to killer animal movies I hadn't heard of including Chosen Survivors, Bug, Black Sheep, etc.

I could understand why Cujo the movie had alterations because it has a somber ending.
Also I'm surprised Bug isn't called Bugs because cockroaches not a cockroach kill humans so it is nonsensical that this movie is called Bug when the movie is about bugs, and has a group of bugs.

Elliot Ness from the Terrific Action Crime Drama Mob Movie The Untouchables

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 04:39 PM
TheOneFirestorm is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneFirestorm a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneFirestorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ziggy22
Lover

The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry

Scythe is a God among men

Old Post Jun 25th, 2018 02:30 PM
Ziggy22 is currently offline Click here to Send Ziggy22 a Private Message Find more posts by Ziggy22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Recently finished a science fiction novel called "Empire of Silence."

It's a rather interesting blend of books. It's a lot like the Red Rising trilogy in concept but more focused on world building and more of a coming of age story then the common theme you see in Young Adult novels like Red Rising where they "topple a corrupt regime from power."

Score: Mid 5/5.

Finished the King fantasy, "Eyes of Dragon" right after. Was a very uniquely written ( like most of King's works ) and seemed to switch from a classic style to a more contemporary one throughout.

Score: Mid-high 4/5.

Starting on the "Thorns" trilogy about a Prince who's crown has been stolen from him who seeks to reclaim him throne.

( A post by Syndicate )

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Oct 17th, 2018 09:43 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

The Wolf by Leo Carew.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 03:28 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TxG
Evil Genius

just started reading between you and me by lisa hall.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2018 02:33 PM
TxG is currently offline Click here to Send TxG a Private Message Find more posts by TxG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sunset Phoenix
Daybreaker

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Old Post Dec 15th, 2018 04:49 AM
Sunset Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Sunset Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Sunset Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I've been reading quite a bit this year.

I'm about to finish The First Law trilogy - a "grimdark" fantasy trilogy with a lot of violence and very flawed, broken characters. Overall I really enjoyed it. Characters are well defined and developed, and the dilogue is extremely natural and believable. Also really like the author's prose, kind of direct but still slightly poetic and gives off this bleak vibe that fits in with the tone of the story. Really good stuff if you're into this kind of thing.

Also read the first two books in The Broken Earth trilogy, each book has won the Hugo award for best fantasy/sci fi book. The first one was outstanding, utilizing present tense 2nd person POV and present tense 3rd person POV. Bit strange at first but once you get used to it it works in the book's favor. There is a tragic swath to the story that I loved. Second book I liked much less, unfortunately. Still will give the third a try.

Read The Shining, which greatly disappointed me. Like many, I consider the film one of the greatest horror pictures of all time, so I had high hopes for the book, but it just paled in comparison, most of the good parts of the movie were made up by Kubrick and I think uniformly that all the changes he made were for the better. I also really disliked King's writing style. It's the only King book I've read so I don't know if his style just isn't for me or if it was unique to this book, but his 'voice' just didn't work for this story in the book. It was too smart-alecky and silly, breaking the tension seemingly every chance he got with bad jokes. Also I didn't find it very creepy or scary, just all around disappointing.

Read quite a few others, last one I'll mention is Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. It's widely considered one of the best novels ever written and I can't disagree. It' was bleak and harrowing and his vocabulary is second to none and his writing style, while not for everyone, is so unique and gives his books a mood like none other. Also it has one of the greatest villains of all time in Judge Holden, one of the most unsettling characters I've encountered in any piece of fiction, with an ending that lingers long after you've closed the book.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 11:38 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote