KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is Islam holding Arab Nations back

Is Islam holding Arab Nations back
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cepheus

quote:
Originally posted by KidRock
The fact of the matter is...you dont see any christians hijacking plans or blowing themselves up..islamic people have just seemed to turn into phycos. There religion is ruining the world. Say im iggnorant say whatever you want, but deep down I know a lot of people feel the same way.

I think (for once) that he's right! coz, as a christian I cant believe sum1's comparing islamic religion with christianism, coz erm... england, is a really cool and developed country and is a christian country (anglican) and erm... i never see english ppl blowing up themselves so tht they can make love to i dunno how many virgens in the world, so christian ppl dont do crazy things... well..exepct burn HP books... but thats just sum ppl. and nobody dies of that roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 01:25 PM
Cepheus is currently offline Click here to Send Cepheus a Private Message Find more posts by Cepheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cepheus

quote:
Originally posted by finti
oh and the Branch Davidians would be considered sane.
What about the bombing in Oklahoma, christian upbringing on that dude.

u know there's crazy ppl everywhere!!! but the christian church doenst say 'KILL PPL AND U'LL GO TO HEAVEN!!' c'mon!! u should read the bible sometime !!! in the rules of moises says 'dont kill' and of course that there will b some christians fanatics.. like in evry single religion!! well exepct perhpas they 'jedi' laughing no offense to any1

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 01:30 PM
Cepheus is currently offline Click here to Send Cepheus a Private Message Find more posts by Cepheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
but the christian church doenst say 'KILL PPL AND U'LL GO TO HEAVEN!
no they just did that deed to destroy multiple cultures around the world in the name of the bible and the church. So christians wake up it is time you all took responsibility for what the so called holy church has done to the world

quote:
should read the bible sometime
i have had enough of that fairy tale, so an eye for an eye is from what book??????????

quote:
as a christian I cant believe sum1's comparing islamic religion with christianism
no you never knew how to deal with competition.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 02:43 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

there are so many ignorant people on these boards...

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 02:47 PM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Actually, no finti. Eye for an eye comes from Babylonian ancient law passed by Hammurabi, law better known as Lex Talionis.

It has next to nothing to do with the bible.

I never read the bible, but i believe that bible preaches that if someone does something wrong to you, you turn the other cheek. That doesnt mean that everyone follows, however.

Im not religious person, if anything, im Buddhist, but I fail to see how direct attack on Christianity is explaining ''is Islam holding Arab Nations Back'' debaite.

Its absolutely wrong to drag crusades into this conversation, because such things as Ottoman empire should be talked about all the same. Just because it didnt affect your history it doesnt mean it didnt happen.

I dont think it matters what happened in the past, I think the debaite is asking wether the Arab Countries are held back by Islam today.

Also debaiting on whos crazier Christians or Muslims is also just a dumb, it has nothing to do with the argument, and it is well known that all religious nuts, regardless of their religion are as bad as each other.

People use religion to go to war, its a well known fact, and it isnt the first time it happened. Christians have done some nasty thigs to their people they believed were witches, or those who opposed or any kind of different people were blamed for all the wrongs, no one denies that.

But the one upside to Christian countries in the west, is that unlike in Arabic countries, homosexuals are not publicly stoned to death.
This was brought on by those religious nuts who get in power and pass dumb laws.

Then again, America is a Christian country, and the only one in the whole industrialized world that still enforces capital punishment.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 03:08 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

KidRock> “The fact of the matter is...you dont see any christians hijacking plans or blowing themselves up..”
IRA and the Basque separatists also commit acts of terror. I do see a “Christian” president start a war against Iraq based on a lie – I don’t know which is worse to be frank.

Fanaticism is the problem. Be it Christian, Muslim or vegetarian for that matter. When people go to extreme based on an idea which not everyone agree with or believe - THAT’s when the trouble starts.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 03:35 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Omega thumb up right as always.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 03:36 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Actually, no finti. Eye for an eye comes from Babylonian ancient law passed by Hammurabi, law better known as Lex Talionis.

It has next to nothing to do with the bible.

Aside from it being the directly quoted creed of the Old Testament- still very much believed in by very many Christians- and who thought of it first is in dispute. 'Lex Talionis' is simply Latin for 'law as retaliation' and applies to any system that uses the idea, not specific to Hammurabi.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 03:41 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any religion that at some time hasn't been associated with heinous crimes, all in the name of their deity's word.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 03:58 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Buddhism? For all I know no war was ever started in the name of Buddha...
Correct me if I'm wrong.

(But then - Buddhism I think is more a philosophy than a religion. Buddha is a guide and teacher - not a God).

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 04:24 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by The Omega
Buddhism? For all I know no war was ever started in the name of Buddha...
Correct me if I'm wrong.

(But then - Buddhism I think is more a philosophy than a religion. Buddha is a guide and teacher - not a God).

Spot on The Omega!

Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion. Buddha never claimed to be a god nor that hes sent by god or anything similar, like you said he was a teacher.
And no, you're right, yet again, no war was ever fought in the name of Buddha or Buddhism.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 05:01 PM
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

We don't have the right to talk about Islam because we don't KNOW about it!You can't be christian and KNOW Islam, for instance jsut as you can't be a Muslim and KNOW Christianity.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 05:37 PM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Why not Punkyhermy?

All the major religions with the possible exception of Buddhism have gone through intolerant phases at different points. Islam as the youngest is going through one right now.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 06:21 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

PunkyHermy> I can have an opinion on something – even if I’m not a part of it. I can have an opinion on Iraq, and not be an Iraqi, on China and not be Chinese, on Germany and not be German.
I can have an opinion on music without being able to play an instrument, too.
And I can also have an opinion on the various world-religions, based on what they preach and what the leaders of said religions chose to do in the name of their deity.

I just think we all have to be careful not to identify some crazy fanatics – doing horrible deeds in the name of some religion – with all that religion stands for. I’m somehow reminded of how Stalinism and the Soviet Union was the “epitome” of evil before the Berlin Wall fell – Now it's appearantly Islam.

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 06:43 PM
yerssot

is it holding countries back?

(correct me if I'm wrong, the subject was a long time ago since I last got it)

The religion is 622 years younger than the christian one, it started when Mohammed had to flee... Mekka, I believe? or was that Medina? messed

so... if you compare it to us, using the christian counting, they live in 1382... Did WE (as christian countries) got holden back by the church?
HELL YES we did.
I suggest you read De Ecclesiastica Potestate by Giles of Rome and Defensor Pacis by Marsilius of Padmos. Two books going exactly about that...

Old Post Aug 7th, 2004 10:44 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
And no, you're right, yet again, no war was ever fought in the name of Buddha or Buddhism.
except for the little dispute thats been going on in Nepal for about 50 years now

quote:
We don't have the right to talk about Islam because we don't KNOW about it!You can't be christian and KNOW Islam, for instance jsut as you can't be a Muslim and KNOW Christianity
if that was the way they all would be ignorant

quote:
I’m somehow reminded of how Stalinism and the Soviet Union was the “epitome” of evil before the Berlin Wall fell – Now it's appearantly Islam.
an enemy is always needed, like we Norwegians never forgott the Danish rulings big grin even though the Swedes are our arch rivals...................funny cause we never ever lost to the Swedes so we should target you flatlanders eek! cool eek! laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 12:23 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

OK so someone can honestly tell me on these boards that there are as MANY christians hijacking plans cutting off peoples heads and suicide bombing as there are muslims doing it?

I hate it when people say "Oh you judge all muslims as raving terrorists just because some do bad things" Look at all the 9/11 hijackers..were any of them white? Were any of them christians? I highy doubt it.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 12:36 AM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

no, but I do know of this things we call Crusades were thousands of innocent people died... I believe if memory serves that christians participated in those

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 12:40 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot
no, but I do know of this things we call Crusades were thousands of innocent people died... I believe if memory serves that christians participated in those

How many hundered of years ago was that?

How can you actually compare the crusades to modern times. Thats just stupid.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 12:46 AM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

that's because you fail to understand that Islam is 622 christian years younger

if you compare those two religions, you have to keep in mind that one is younger and when you place them in the same timeframe, christians have proved themselves to be very brutal already

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 12:53 AM