KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Criterion Thread

Criterion Thread
Started by: Dr. Strangelove

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Just to keep this thread alive -

A shout out for the criterion release of Terry Gilliams BRAZIL. Not only the 137 min Directors cut of the movie but an entire disc of documentaries interviews and commentary - but also the butchered "happy" version of the film as first released (in America not Europe) which has to be seen to be believed.

Gilliams direction is unique and his influence can be seen in some of todays hot props. Brazil is his touchstone, I only wish somebody would stump up the $$$ to have the film digitally remastered and given a final polish.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2004 07:37 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Hear's the features for the new M release. You can find the information on the Criterion web site.

All New Edition of Fritz Lang's M Coming in December

Fritz Lang's suspense masterpiece M returns to the Collection in an all new 2-disc special edition this December. This release will feature a new transfer from fully restored film elements, as well as a host of new special features, including audio commentary by film scholars Eric Rentschler and Anton Kaes, a filmed interview with Fritz Lang conducted by director William Friedkin, Claude Chabrol’s M-inspired short film M le Maudit, classroom tapes of M editor Paul Falkenberg discussing the film and its history, and much more. Check here for more information on this release in the coming weeks!

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Sep 11th, 2004 11:02 PM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

I've got to give credit to Criterion for a fantastic job they did with The Battle of Algiers 3 disk set. The movie was amazing, I'll probably write a review of it when I have the time which isn't much these day's with college. The transfer was great and I've only dug into half of the extras and they are all informative and well made. The Five Directors segment was very interesting were they talked about how controversial the film was at that time, and how the film parallels in today's world. thumb up

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Nov 21st, 2004 at 07:09 AM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 06:59 AM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thegreatrudini
Violator of the innocent

Ive got Criterions SALO coming soon

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 07:24 PM
thegreatrudini is currently offline Click here to Send thegreatrudini a Private Message Find more posts by thegreatrudini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I've got to give credit to Criterion for a fantastic job they did with The Battle of Algiers 3 disk set.

Again - I love this thread. I had no idea this was out.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 07:30 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Hear's the features for the new M release. You can find the information on the Criterion web site.

Superb.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Feb 12th, 2005 at 08:38 PM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 02:48 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Next week folks! (December 7th 2004) Criterion will be releasing the anticipated 2 disc Edition of Fritz Lang's M!!!!

Old Post Nov 30th, 2004 05:31 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Next week folks! (December 7th 2004) Criterion will be releasing the anticipated 2 disc Edition of Fritz Lang's M!!!!

Yeah, I'll be getting the 2-disk M for my Dad ...and me whistle for Christmas since both of us love the film. I just hope he doesn't buy it as it happened last Christmas when both of us bought The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for eachother and I had to return one of the copies. laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 30th, 2004 08:49 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

lol! You can always return it and get another Criterion title. stick out tongue
Man! I can't wait for the release next week.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 12:43 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

Is the Criterion release of Robocop still available? And is that the unrated version?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2004 09:02 PM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

The criterion Robocop is out of print so it's a really rare item although Ebay seems to have good prices for it. I'm not sure if its the untrated version.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2004 11:56 PM
Cipher
Non-Entity

I'll have to look into that, then. Thanks for the info
Dr. Strangelove.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2004 10:20 AM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Old Post Dec 7th, 2004 08:39 PM
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Just a shout out for The Adventures of Antonie Doniel set. Showing all the movies about Doniel starting from his childhood to adulthood it's a set any fan of the films should get.

Also, in terms of new Criterions, I hope to get:

Haxan
Jubilee
Hearts and Minds
Fanny and Alexander Box Set
Youth of the Beast
The Hidden Fortress

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Jan 18th, 2005 at 01:07 AM

Old Post Jan 18th, 2005 12:56 AM
logie
Engima 2001 Fan

Criterion wanted

quote:
Great thread! Yes! I'm also very pleased with the quality that the ppl at the criterion collection have been putting into their DVD's. The only mistake they've done so far was armageddon. I really don't see why the need for a criterion edition. Is a film rather dull and not very original IMO.

Mildpossesion>Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors.

I own these titles:

The Rock
Naked Lunch
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
Spartacus
Brazil
The Samurai collection
Akira Kurosawa samurai collection
The Royal Tenenbaums
M
Ikiru
The Killer
Kwaidan
Man bites dog
Rashomon
Ali: Fears eat the soul

I will soon be getting these future releases:

Videodrome
The Battle for Algiers
M (2004 re-release new edition)
Eyes without a face
Shadows

Rare, and wanted list:

Salo
Robocop
Traffic
Dead Ringers
Hard Boiled

OK what will you give me plus all of the discs on your page for my Criterion SALO 112 minute running time disc? BTW the UPC code on my gem is 7 15515 00922 5 The disc case inside has the 29 Chapter insert (5 Circles with x number of chapters each and the John Powers review of Passolinis death, text is white and orange on vomit medium dark green body background. Chapter list is black text on a soft yellow body background? Disc bought at amazon.com in late 1998 same year as issue!Hmm

Old Post Feb 12th, 2005 02:01 PM
logie is currently offline Click here to Send logie a Private Message Find more posts by logie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

Does any of you guys own the 5-disc criterion release of Fanny and Alexander? if you don't, I'll recomend that yopu buy it, its fantastic!

Old Post Feb 12th, 2005 08:32 PM
Dario Argento is currently offline Click here to Send Dario Argento a Private Message Find more posts by Dario Argento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

For you Samurai Cinema fans (like me) Criterion is preparing a Special Edition Sword of Doom!

One of the classics and most violent of the genre is finally coming to DVD. And Criterion is making it possible. So get ready is due sometime in March or April.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2005 11:41 PM
Solo

quote:
For you Samurai Cinema fans (like me) Criterion is preparing a Special Edition Sword of Doom!

One of the classics and most violent of the genre is finally coming to DVD. And Criterion is making it possible. So get ready is due sometime in March or April.

March 15th.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2005 12:09 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

That's even better! Thanks Solo! big grin

btw-what happen to the << >>?

Old Post Feb 18th, 2005 01:44 AM
Solo

quote:
That's even better! Thanks Solo! big grin

btw-what happen to the << >>?

No problem, the << >> thing just kind of....grew old. Kind of got annoying I guess.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2005 02:13 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote