KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Advant why is this celebrated when Christmas is supose to be a pagan hoilday?

Advant why is this celebrated when Christmas is supose to be a pagan hoilday?
Started by: Jackie Malfoy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

Question Advant why is this celebrated when Christmas is supose to be a pagan hoilday?

I have a friend who celebrates advant and I was wondering why this is celebrated?
When I was told that Christmas is a pagan hoilday and not a Christen one!Is this true?
Anyone care to post there thoughts on this?JM confused

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:18 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

many cultures celebrated that the sun turns, around 22 december.
christians looked at these cultures as pagan.
Advant is a thing celebrated by many of the chrisitan churches and it is the waiting period for the birth of christ. Advant is from the latin adventus domini, comming of the lord

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:24 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

Cool thanks for telling me Finti!jm

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:26 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

i don't understand the question
i've really tried, but i can't.
sowwie,
can someone tell it in my language? confused

coz i don't understand why christmas should be pagan holiday blink

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:27 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
coz i don't understand why christmas should be pagan holiday
read my earlier reply, it might help you to comprehend that bit

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:33 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

i understand your reply, but i still don't get that part. confused

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:35 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

ok many cultures(pre christian period) celebrated the turning of the sun around 22 of december, it is kind of close to the date the chrisitan choose to celebrate the birth of thier alleged saviour. It is called pagan cause christianity have labeled these culture as so.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:38 PM
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

many cultures celebrated that the sun turns, around 22 december.
christians looked at these cultures as pagan.
Advant is a thing celebrated by many of the chrisitan churches and it is the waiting period for the birth of christ. Advant is from the latin adventus domini, comming of the lord

What I am trying to ask is two questions.The first one is what is Advant?and the second is why is Christmas really a pagan hoilday.And Finsi had answeared both of my qeustions.
So what are your thoughts on this question?JM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:40 PM
Clovie

it is clear confused

but it doesn't explain my quary (sp?)erm

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:41 PM
Df02

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Cool thanks for telling me Finti!jm

this been bugging me, not just from u.... but why do ppl put the initials of their name at the bottom of their post? every1 can see who you are by ur screenname neway

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:42 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
coz i don't understand why christmas should be pagan holiday
this period of the year was celebrated by other mythologies and cultures before the chrisitans started to celebrate it, of course the other cultures had other names for it than christmas though. christmas is the chrisitan celebration.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:46 PM
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

I put my intals because it is my trademark.Sorry if it brothers you.JM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:47 PM
Df02

fair enough, was just curious since it has no real benefit

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:47 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

No you are right it does not.But every site as long I remember I always did that so I got use to it and now can't stop.JM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:48 PM
Clovie

quote:
Originally posted by finti
this period of the year was celebrated by other mythologies and cultures before the chrisitans started to celebrate it, of course the other cultures had other names for it than christmas though. christmas is the chrisitan celebration.
at last. thank you

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 02:50 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Re: Advant why is this celebrated when Christmas is supose to be a pagan hoilday?

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
When I was told that Christmas is a pagan hoilday and not a Christen one!Is this true?

JM: Yule is the most common name given to the old pre Christian tradition of celebration the wonder solstice on/near the 22nd of December. Its the shortest day of the year and so meant that Spring was "on its way" back. The resturn of the sun, the rebirth of the gods who died at the onset of winter. People would celebrate by getting together, making a huge fire and feasting.

When the Christian Church was trying to spread its word, it knew it would have real trouble getting all the pagan (non Christian) people to gie up the traditions they already had - so they placed Christian holidays "over" the pagans ones so they could say "keep on celebrating as you always have, but in the name of christ rather than your old gods"

Clever stuff.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 03:06 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Yule is the most common name given to the old pre Christian tradition of celebration the wonder solstice on/near the 22nd of December
actually the Norwegian name for christmas is JUL smile

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 03:20 PM
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

Yea it is interesting stuff zero!Thanks for telling me this stuff I had learn something new today.JM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 03:21 PM
yerssot

when the baptizers and preachers entered europe, they couldn't just destruct the entire religion that was here and needed things to build on to convert people, hence christmas become a christian holiday on the 25th

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 05:47 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

There's a similar sort of history for the Christmas Tree as well. Numerous races felt the days getting smaller near Christmas time, and feared that the sun would eventually vanish. But evergreen trees seemed to have magical powers that enabled them to withstand the tyranny of winter.

The Greeks were the first, cutting down the trees for the Goddess Adonia (who was resurrected by Aessulapius, a doctor so good at his trade he could bring the dead back to life). The first Christian story was that St. Boniface(675?-755) cut down an oak, a deciduous tree, and a sacred item to the Pagans, which fell into four pieces. In the middle, an evergreen tree was growing, symbolising the death of Paganism, and the establishment of Christianity.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 08:05 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote