KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » PSP vs. DS : Which Will Be Better?

PSP vs. DS : Which Will Be Better?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
DS 24 32.00%
PSP 44 58.67%
Too early to tell 7 9.33%
Neither 0 0%
Total: 75 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PSP vs. DS : Which Will Be Better?
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JLred

I heard it shoots out the disk on the PSP........whoah.......

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 07:32 PM
JLred is currently offline Click here to Send JLred a Private Message Find more posts by JLred Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zen2nd
Veridis Quo

I dont think PSP is going to topple the DS. PSP is not very innovating at all, there is no library of games for it and Sony is venturing into an uncharted territory.

Didn't Sony in the past used(borrowed) a quote to help boost sales

'If it ain't broke,why fix it?'

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 08:11 PM
Zen2nd is currently offline Click here to Send Zen2nd a Private Message Find more posts by Zen2nd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Leon s.kenedy
Warrior

I think that the PSP has good games like Final fantasy... however the DS has good games too like Metroid Prime..

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 08:36 PM
Leon s.kenedy is currently offline Click here to Send Leon s.kenedy a Private Message Find more posts by Leon s.kenedy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
Originally posted by Red Superfly

The very same thing could easily happen with the DS and PSP. Sure Nintendo have a monopoly at the moment, but everyone thought Nintendo would be the kings of home consoles after the SNES. The Nintendo DS could end up being the N64 all over again. Nintendo didn't learn their lesson with the Gameboy ds and have proven to be utter garbage when it comes to marketing. They make excellent games and deserve to win or at least equal Sony, but I honestly think Sony's PSP is gonna pull a Playstation all over again.

I think Nintendo marketed the gamecube very well. The gamecube for all intents and purposes is a success. I think Nintendo was brilliant in the scheme of things when it came to the Gamecube. there are two reasons why the gameboy could fail. One is becuase of the sudden rush in handheld systems, gameboy advanced and gameboy advanced sp, people might be yurning for somthing new. Another aspect in the potential failure of ds to the psp would be the games released. That is what killed N-64. The psp is being deveolped for an older audience, this has been admitted. Ten years ago, you could not target a system to a demographic of 20-30 years olds. today you can, becaus 20-30 year olds are the core gamers at this point. older gamers want simplicity and substance all in one.

there are many more reasons why the PsP would fail over the Ds. Seeing how ds wil have the jump on release, and also already is outmatched by the following nintendo has, it would be hard for Sony to become a staple in the handheld universe. However, i beleive if the PsP is released without any bugs, and a decent selection of games, then PsP could reign supreme. It is all about games in the handheld world, not so much performance.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 08:44 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I might be more willing to support the PSP but for the battery life.

The defects are off-putting, but Sony has always had a large group of 3rd party games, and that won't change for the PSP.

But despite this, the battery life ruins it. four hours of battery life is barely going to get a Final Fantasy game started. Considering that gamers nowadays typically want longer games, I'll bet that the battery expenses will go a long way toward killing it.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 08:51 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rhino
Red is the new black

quote:
Originally posted by belly_jeans349
ive been hearing lots of people saying the psp will suck down your battery power but i want to know how the hell you know that? no one has played one before. Everyone just believes what they hear in those nintendo magazines, you should believe what u know. i wouldn't bother even buyin DS, 2 screens? touch screen? was someone drunk thinking of this?

that was the same thing i was thinking!!
-everyone knows the psp isnt really innovative, there is no need to re invent the wheel in handheld gaming, afterall nothings wrong with 1 screen, and i dont need a pen to play great games. For those ppl that dont like the psp's battery life, the batteries ARE rechargable. four hours is not a lot if u wanna play a lot of Final fantasy but i don't really play games that long...

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 09:50 PM
Rhino is currently offline Click here to Send Rhino a Private Message Find more posts by Rhino Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

DS - Much more creativity possible from developers due to the stylus capable touch screen.. Long battery Life and already classic properties of nintendo

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 10:26 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ZomBiE_HunTER
To Serve

For once I actully agree with you^^^^ big grin big grin

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 11:09 PM
ZomBiE_HunTER is currently offline Click here to Send ZomBiE_HunTER a Private Message Find more posts by ZomBiE_HunTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
an_old_wonderer

i have a feeling its going to be like it was when gamecube was vs. playstation 2, everyone was thinkin that gamecube would be better but it turned out gamecube is still having trouble making money so now they're making it where you can buy it with a free game, nintendo is getting really desperate. ps2 on the other hand is still selling ps2's easily.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 03:23 AM
an_old_wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send an_old_wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by an_old_wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Battery life kills handhelds. Game Gearand the the atari handheld had horrible battery life and it killed the systems.
Rhino, just because you can recharge them doesnt mean anything. Gamespot did a test with the PSP and found out that playing a game like Ridge Racer or any other grapicial intensive game with the wireless function you get around 90 minutes of battery life and upwards to 2 hours. So if you play the game for a plane trip thats 5 hours long, you would have to recharge it twice and half. Wow, sounds great fun to me.
Zen2nd - that mantra if its broke dont fix it doesnt work because Sony has never done a handheld system before.
I feel that you cant compare handhelds to consoles.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 03:33 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

The DS's battery is quite impressive, I can go for... I don't know. Awhile, without recharging. I'll keep track sometime, but it's definately good.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 03:42 AM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

I have ps2....I refuses to play my DDR game ever since it caught me in a 3-some with the X-Box and Gamecube.

First off, no one knows where the FF games are gonna go. they could release high graphic mature ones in the X style on the PSP, or they could release something more new and innovative on DS. who knows, they may even get it to look dreamcast good.

2nd, the DS has higher graphical capabilities than the N64. compare the original mario 64 to the new one.

3rd, watch out for flying game disk's if your importing a PSP.

4th, I don't remember the N64 failing.

5th, I'm interested in how long the battery life (now tested since it came out in japan) actually is. from what I've heard it varies per game.

6th. franchises make the console. consoles need a single launch title that is almost revolutionary to games. that's why the gamecube AND PS2 had trouble when launching.

SNES had super mario world, the N64 had mario 64, microsoft had Halo(hey, it was the first console shooter since golden eye to get it right) the original ameboy had tetris.

the real problem for both these hand helds is that NEITHER of them have anything"revoultionary" or anything that has a really cool neatness factor.

porting mario 64 was a nice idea, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. the only game that's actually unique and fun to play on the DS is "XX/XY feel the magic".

the PSP isn't any better.

Robo-Chocobo is currently offline Click here to Send Robo-Chocobo a Private Message Find more posts by Robo-Chocobo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote:
Originally posted by Leon s.kenedy
I think that the PSP has good games like Final fantasy... however the DS has good games too like Metroid Prime..
The DS is getting the one and only remake of Final Fantasy III, the one that never hit the 'states officially.

Plus, the PSP isn't out here yet. Way too early to tell. Hopefully the defects will be fixd within the next few months, and we'll get brand spanking new ones.

JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

quote:
Originally posted by Samas-adian
Battery life kills handhelds. Game Gearand the the atari handheld had horrible battery life and it killed the systems.
Rhino, just because you can recharge them doesnt mean anything. Gamespot did a test with the PSP and found out that playing a game like Ridge Racer or any other grapicial intensive game with the wireless function you get around 90 minutes of battery life and upwards to 2 hours. So if you play the game for a plane trip thats 5 hours long, you would have to recharge it twice and half. Wow, sounds great fun to me.
Zen2nd - that mantra if its broke dont fix it doesnt work because Sony has never done a handheld system before.
I feel that you cant compare handhelds to consoles.

also let me remind you the PS1 went into uncharted territory as well.

also, the mantra if it ain't broke don't fix it doesn't really work for sony considering all of their consoles have been flawed fragile pieces of tissue paper.

first ps1 overheated
the ps2 gives disc read errors, and won't play my DDR game.(and it's funny how first they say it's okay to have it on it's side, but they now tell you not to) and scratches my few ps1 games.
psp already is shooting out spinning game disk's of death, and blank spots on the screens.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 03:46 AM
Robo-Chocobo is currently offline Click here to Send Robo-Chocobo a Private Message Find more posts by Robo-Chocobo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

I love my DS. it's great. and it's nifty that it carries 2 games at once.

I've had to recharge the battery once since I opened it up and did some serious play with it. it had an initial charge, so after I wore that down, I charged it up, and it's been running fine.

a good idea is to let it charge every time you go to sleep.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 03:50 AM
ZomBiE_HunTER
To Serve

sumtimes i get lazy so i dont bother and it still works fine.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 04:07 AM
ZomBiE_HunTER is currently offline Click here to Send ZomBiE_HunTER a Private Message Find more posts by ZomBiE_HunTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Wow. Yay my thread's popular!

PSP will be better than DS. Why? Business. Read the Wall Street Journal.
Nintendo's stock has been steadly decreasing for the last decade. The N64 cost them more money than it did profit. The Gamecube is a grade-A business failure (why else can you buy gamecube for just 79 bucks) Sony however is the exact opposite. PS1 is the hottest selling video game system. PS2 is a close second. The PSP will follow. Hardcore Nintendo fanatics will buy the DS and denounce the PSP. What's so appealing about the PSP is that is so accessible. Lack of accessibility has always been Nintendo's downfall. They are too old-school. They sell games to gamers. Sony sells games to everyone.

The DS is a very impressive system. It has some quality games coming out and it has sound graphics and sounds. It also has PictoChat, a pseudo Instant Messaging. Games and Pictochat, that's what the DS system is capable of.

Let's look at the PSP. It also appears to be very a very impressive system. I disregard the "dead pixel" controversy. Every electronic meets bumps in the road. PSP has some very good quality games coming out. It will have wireless Internet and email access. It can play MP3s. It can play UMD movies. Various other accessories will come with it. Sony even plans to make it itunes compatible.

PSP is likely to to defeat the DS. Yeah, I know everyone wants to bring up the "nobody has ever beat the nintendo handheld" Well those nobodies were just that: nobodies. Nintendo is going against Sony. They've lost in the past. Nintendo only has its games. Sony has celebrities, more business contracts with video game making companies, vast resources at its disposal. And it looks a lot sexier too. Face it people judge things by how it looks.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 04:27 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
DS - Much more creativity possible from developers due to the stylus capable touch screen.. Long battery Life and already classic properties of nintendo

One thing that history has taught us in the gaming world is that creativity usually always fails miserably. Atleast in system peripherals or system structure, well shit, even in video games.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 04:47 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Draco - show me evidence that says that N64 and the Gamecube has a deficit
1st - Actually, major publishers have said that the DS has better games.
2nd - DS has wireless Internet also
3rd - Gaming systems are suppose to be gaming systems. Not all in one devices.
4th - have fun watching a movie and recharging the battery every 2 hours.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 08:50 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Surgent
KMC's #1 Fake Mod

Can someone post lists of the games that have been confirmed so far for the two systems?

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 09:41 AM
Darth Surgent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Surgent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Surgent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote