KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Who is the best guitarist of all time??

Who is the best guitarist of all time??
Started by: undertaker619

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (25): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kram3r

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Prince

Fo' sure.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2005 03:19 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Funny, because that's exactly how many guitarists look at Synyster Gates. Try telling that to an Avenged fan and they throw fits more or less.

-AC

Are you insinuating that I do that? Becasue what Im saying is that although I certainly admire fast guitarists, I have more respect for those who are truly unique and innovative. Hence my previous statement.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Dec 29th, 2005 03:34 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I actually think you're the most open-minded Avenged fan I've met here. You don't have a coronary when someone suggests otherwise.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Dec 29th, 2005 03:40 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Thats cool. Frankly, Id rather hear that someone hates a band I consider good, than hear someone loves a band that I think is trash.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Dec 29th, 2005 03:44 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't even hate Avenged Sevenfold to be fair. If they hadn't been overly felched this year (which they have) by silly kids then that probably wouldn't have counted against.

I think they're just a standard rock band who are more technically able than most other STANDARD rock bands. I don't think they're the shittest band ever, I just think they're mediocre. You could do far worse, just also far better. I have nothing against them. If they actually started making music I consider to be worthy of buying, I'd do so.

As of right now, I just think they're a really mediocre rock band not doing anything different.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2005 03:38 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rickyduck
--------

jimmy page, hendrix, satriani and angus young. mayb david gilmour.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2005 06:10 PM
rickyduck is currently offline Click here to Send rickyduck a Private Message Find more posts by rickyduck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewJERU
U Have 2 Respect Jersey

Jim Hendrix and Carlos Santana!

Old Post Dec 30th, 2005 11:18 AM
NewJERU is currently offline Click here to Send NewJERU a Private Message Find more posts by NewJERU Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Flag

Hendrix and Santana are the best but Cobain is the most influential and my favorite.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2005 05:19 AM
Black Flag is currently offline Click here to Send Black Flag a Private Message Find more posts by Black Flag Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
millan

jose feliciano was insane when young nobody like him, ****ing amazing

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2006 01:23 PM
millan is currently offline Click here to Send millan a Private Message Find more posts by millan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's clearly Hendrix. So who besides him?

Prince, in my opinion.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 08:09 AM
guitar dude 69
Resident Guitar Guy

DIMEBAG DARRELL hands down he never learnt theory and he still kicks ass
SDMF RIP DIME

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 03:46 PM
guitar dude 69 is currently offline Click here to Send guitar dude 69 a Private Message Find more posts by guitar dude 69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Early Age-Jimmy Page, Van Halen, Hendrix, Angus Young, Eric Clapton, Tony Iommi and quite a few more.

New gen-Tom Morrello and Randy Rhodes.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 02:10 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Flamboyant~
Out of my element

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen.

I love you IceJaw for making me the sig!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 05:03 AM
~Flamboyant~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Flamboyant~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Flamboyant~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Brian May : underrated guitar player, has that unique sound.

Frank Zappa : not easy listening, but great technique !

Jimmy Hendrix : not a favorite of mine, but I respect him.

Segovia : almost perfect combination of warmth and technique

Morello : nah, I'm not that impressed.

Joey Santiago : nobody mentions him here ! The shame ! Vamos Joey, play that guitar !!

Clapton : was once truly amazing, now he's just a good guitar player.

Mark Knopfler : the man can write a song.

Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen : not my cup of tea.

Also I'd like to mention :

- Neil Young
- Joni Mitchell
- Jeff Beck
- Eddie Van Halen
- Jan Ackerman
- Jimmy Page
- Carlos Santana
- Angus Young

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 08:16 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darkness~Calls

Pete Townshend (the who also contains best drummer)

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 12:34 AM
Darkness~Calls is currently offline Click here to Send Darkness~Calls a Private Message Find more posts by Darkness~Calls Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by who?-kid
Brian May : underrated guitar player, has that unique sound.

Frank Zappa : not easy listening, but great technique !

Jimmy Hendrix : not a favorite of mine, but I respect him.

Segovia : almost perfect combination of warmth and technique

Morello : nah, I'm not that impressed.

Joey Santiago : nobody mentions him here ! The shame ! Vamos Joey, play that guitar !!

Clapton : was once truly amazing, now he's just a good guitar player.

Mark Knopfler : the man can write a song.

Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen : not my cup of tea.

Also I'd like to mention :

- Neil Young
- Joni Mitchell
- Jeff Beck
- Eddie Van Halen
- Jan Ackerman
- Jimmy Page
- Carlos Santana
- Angus Young

What are you on about? This is about best guitarist ever, so you can't choose who has talent or not. Morello is actually a blinding and innovative player.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 11:04 AM
Kid Kurdy

What are you on about? This is about best guitarist ever, so you can't choose who has talent or not. Morello is actually a blinding and innovative player.

-AC

I knew somebody would "disagree".

I'm not that fond of Morello and I don't have to justify myself to you. If you think he's the greatest guitar player of all eternity, that's good for you.

But, I hope you realize there is no such thing as "best guitar player", right ? It's all a matter of opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by Kid Kurdy on Jul 26th, 2006 at 04:10 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 04:06 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by who?-kid
I knew somebody would "disagree".

I'm not that fond of Morello and I don't have to justify myself to you. If you think he's the greatest guitar player of all eternity, that's good for you.

But, I hope you realize there is no such thing as "best guitar player", right ? It's all a matter of opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

I wasn't aware we were discussing preference, I thought we were discussing factually technically talented players of a high degree, of which Morello is one undeniably.

Prefering his style or music isn't relevant to him being a factually great technician. Some people don't like Vai or Satch, it doesn't mean they aren't two of the best players on Earth. You can't prefer who is talented and who isn't, if someone has an ability that puts them above others, that's how it is. It's quite contradictory of you to say Zappa has great technique and then say Satch and Vai aren't your "cup of tea". It doesn't matter if they are or not, if we're discussing ability. Like them or hate them, they are arguably the most talented from a technical standpoint than any guitarist you named. Hendrix is in my opinion the best ever, but not technically, because he's not.

I don't think Morello is the best ever, but you put it across as you not being impressed by him means that he's not got a place here, and he has. Unless we are discussing the music they make, then it's not subjective.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jul 26th, 2006 at 04:44 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 04:39 PM
Kid Kurdy

I wasn't aware we were discussing preference, I thought we were discussing factually technically talented players of a high degree, of which Morello is one undeniably.

Prefering his style or music isn't relevant to him being a factually great technician. Some people don't like Vai or Satch, it doesn't mean they aren't two of the best players on Earth. You can't prefer who is talented and who isn't, if someone has an ability that puts them above others, that's how it is. It's quite contradictory of you to say Zappa has great technique and then say Satch and Vai aren't your "cup of tea". It doesn't matter if they are or not, if we're discussing ability. Like them or hate them, they are arguably the most talented from a technical standpoint than any guitarist you named. Hendrix is in my opinion the best ever, but not technically, because he's not.

I don't think Morello is the best ever, but you put it across as you not being impressed by him means that he's not got a place here, and he has. Unless we are discussing the music they make, then it's not subjective.

-AC

Fair enough.

The thread starter didn't specify what he meant : technically the best guitar player, or just the guitar player you like the most.

Doesn't matter though. Kyle Gass beats them all cool

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 05:18 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fair play.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 05:19 PM