KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Why Does Everyone Hate/Dislike/Loathe the DC Universe

Why Does Everyone Hate/Dislike/Loathe the DC Universe
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
I-Drop
Privateer

I have nothing against DC. I don't miss Smallville, watch all the DC 'toons religiously('cept Titans), usually put Batman/Nightwing on fav. hero lists, liked Batman begins(hated the fights and laughed @ Bale's Batman voice though), even gave the "Birds of Prey" show a chancesad I like Marvel more though. Characters have always interested me more than powers and I've never liked the "sidekick" thing. When people say DC is overpowered I'm hard pressed not to agree. I'm not sure which company has the most-powerful character or highest number of ultra powerful characters. With DC though it seems like almost all of their more well known characters could kill off an entire city in under 10 minutes. How many times do they use flight & superspeed & invulnerable in 1 hero? Also, they've got these kinds of characters in groups. You'll see Supes, WW, Flash(who I still like although it seems like DC don't sometimes) and M.Manhunter on the same team. Then they get rid of weaknesses. GLs say f**k yellow. MM says f**k fire. Soon Supes might say f**k Kryptonite. Aquaman's lame. How does DC "fix" it? Make him more powerful of course.laughing I'll always love Marvel's characters more, but I'm starting to hate Marvel whoring out it's characters to make them more like the movie counterparts. I like the movies, but I hate comic Spidey's webs being organic and I hated those crappy duds they had the X-Men wear after the movies came out.

Last edited by I-Drop on Aug 24th, 2005 at 05:38 AM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 05:34 AM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DigiMark007
We've all been psycho-analyzing this, but I think something might be a bit more obvious here.

Superman and Batman are STILL the two most recognized comic characters (they are, even Spidey is a 3rd to them). But Marvel seems to dominate comics more than DC, both on this forum and in general.

Many of us are in our 20's, and some are even older. There's nothing wrong with that, but the majority of comic readers in any generation are in their teens. And teens right now have only been exposed to comic characters and influenced by them for the past...maybe 10 years. The orginal DC Crisis was being written while they were in the womb.

And what have the major comic influences been in the past 10 years that would drive these kids to Marvel?? Movies, video games, cartoons, etc. And what are the most popular comic movies and video games about? Right now, Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, Blade, etc. More recently Batman, but its influence hasn't been felt yet. The original Batman film (Keaton, not Adam West) was in '89. Superman hasn't seen a film in much longer than that. The vast majority of comic readers today haven't been influenced by those, so naturally DC's sales would fall below Marvel. Perhaps the next 10 years will be different, as Batman and Superman (and possibly others like Flash, WW, Justice League cartoons, etc.) are being re-introduced to readers.

But for now, Marvel rode various other mediums to become a leader, and while many arguments about the varying merits of the two companies' comics might be completely valid, if a 13-year-old's friends are talking about the latest Spider-Man film, or video game, or cartoon, or (fill in you own tie-in), then by God that's what he'll purchase. I have a 5-year-old cousin who has watched the SM film ump-teen times, has a SM lunchbox, and feels like he knows Peter Parker personally. That's all the indication I need of who's winning in comics right now.

Great point, superman is more known, but spiderman is the most popular.

Add on the fact that most know spiderman JUST from the movies, and that makes your point quite well.

Originally posted by Creshosk
"I knew you were going to fall for it, Mr. " I am reading your posts." "

I'm not reading your posts, you're just predictable.
Still arguing it, thats why I keep getting reports by the mods from you,and you are clearifying a post you can't see? confused

Yea, whatever.

Like you didn't see my post here...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...mp;pagenumber=2

Must of been another Cordera...

Predictable is you, turning everything into an argument, BUT the topic.

I know I'm irrisistable, I got it like that, have a tootsie pop.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Last edited by Tha C-Master on Aug 24th, 2005 at 11:03 AM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 10:52 AM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

DC is WAY better than marvel.

Marvel's charachters are more or less the same now as they were a few years ago, whereas DC's charachters keep developing

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 11:26 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

"developing" isnt a good thing, look at the xmen, and spiderman upgrades.

The xmen have gotten EXTRA ridiculous.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 12:07 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

I have a few things I dislike about DC, but the main one is the fans. In my (possibly biased) experience, DC characters have the biggest flcok of pigheaded, logic-ignoring and childish fans out there. I go to a few message boards like the Versus forum, and any time a DC character is brought in, there is always this ration of people who run in yelling that the DC character will win and ignoring all comments to the contrary.

Now, that's not to say that Marvel doesn't suffer from this as well. There are quite a few Hulk fanboys that are so stubborn and dense it's sickening (only one or two on here, as opposed to several on other boards). And then there are the Wolverine fanboys... ugh. Still, while a few Marvel characters do suffer from the Rabid Fanboy Syndrome, it seems DC fanboys refuse to allow for the possibility that ANY DC character would lose in a fight against a comparable Marvel character.

Another thing is the powerlevels. Marvel may take the cake in high end cosmic beings (though that is VERY debateable), DC is waaaay over the top int he every day readable characters. Everyone and their brother is a Class 100, invulnerable, speedblitzing brick on some boards. Wonder Woman goes from having to use her bracelets to deflect bullets to a Superman-level lifter who was also an unbeatable martial artist with a device that gives her a ehalingf actor that rivals the Hulk's. And then there's the Flash. First, he just ran really fast, then he vibrated through sh*t, then he hit light speed, now he's a speed-stealing, time traveling, infinite-mass-punching, uber-speedblitzing God Of Speed.

And then there is Supermand. My God. Why read a Superman comic when the odds are its just going to end with the hero either a) getting a new power b) losing (or greatly reducing) one of his vulnerabilites c) casting off a mental blocks/sun dipping? I mean, honestly, pick a f*cking powerset and stick to it. Come on. Super-ventriloquism? SOUL VISION?? In all honesty: what the f*ck (oh, and just to clarify, those are both recent powers displayed, not Pre-Crisis).

And you know, his power level isn't really my problem. I mean, one of my favorite characters is Majestic, who rearranges solar system's to solve a dilemna. My problem is the bloody worship.

Superman spends every day of his life, every minute of his day in a constant parade, both in and out of comics, telling him how great he is. He goes to the JLA, everyone tells him (or thinks about) how great he is. He goes to work at the Planet, that whole paper is devoted to NOTHING but talking about how great he is. His own job AT the paper is making reports on how great he is or what awesome thing he just did, and there are characters that were designed largely just around showing how great he is (Superboy and Jimmy Olsen for starters). Same goes for a lot of the DC heroes, heck there's a Flash MUSEUM for crying out loud.

Frankly I think writers spend more time trying to think up ways of telling him how great he is than actual dialogue on anything else. Thor's a -GOD- and he doesn't spend half his time getting the worship Superman does, even though he's just about as powerful, just as heroic, and saves lives as selflessly as Superman does. I just get sick of seeing Superman's knob getting constantly stroked.

And the funny thing is, after all is said and done, I can generally sit down and read a DC story without shuddering. There are some decent ones out there, and some Vertigo titles are nothing short of amazing. I just hate the -quite literal- hero worship granted to the handful of big names by writers and fans alike.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 12:45 PM
Khellendros is currently offline Click here to Send Khellendros a Private Message Find more posts by Khellendros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Originally posted by Khellendros
I have a few things I dislike about DC, but the main one is the fans. In my (possibly biased) experience, DC characters have the biggest flcok of pigheaded, logic-ignoring and childish fans out there. I go to a few message boards like the Versus forum, and any time a DC character is brought in, there is always this ration of people who run in yelling that the DC character will win and ignoring all comments to the contrary.

Now, that's not to say that Marvel doesn't suffer from this as well. There are quite a few Hulk fanboys that are so stubborn and dense it's sickening (only one or two on here, as opposed to several on other boards). And then there are the Wolverine fanboys... ugh. Still, while a few Marvel characters do suffer from the Rabid Fanboy Syndrome, it seems DC fanboys refuse to allow for the possibility that ANY DC character would lose in a fight against a comparable Marvel character.

Another thing is the powerlevels. Marvel may take the cake in high end cosmic beings (though that is VERY debateable), DC is waaaay over the top int he every day readable characters. Everyone and their brother is a Class 100, invulnerable, speedblitzing brick on some boards. Wonder Woman goes from having to use her bracelets to deflect bullets to a Superman-level lifter who was also an unbeatable martial artist with a device that gives her a ehalingf actor that rivals the Hulk's. And then there's the Flash. First, he just ran really fast, then he vibrated through sh*t, then he hit light speed, now he's a speed-stealing, time traveling, infinite-mass-punching, uber-speedblitzing God Of Speed.

And then there is Supermand. My God. Why read a Superman comic when the odds are its just going to end with the hero either a) getting a new power b) losing (or greatly reducing) one of his vulnerabilites c) casting off a mental blocks/sun dipping? I mean, honestly, pick a f*cking powerset and stick to it. Come on. Super-ventriloquism? SOUL VISION?? In all honesty: what the f*ck (oh, and just to clarify, those are both recent powers displayed, not Pre-Crisis).

And you know, his power level isn't really my problem. I mean, one of my favorite characters is Majestic, who rearranges solar system's to solve a dilemna. My problem is the bloody worship.

Superman spends every day of his life, every minute of his day in a constant parade, both in and out of comics, telling him how great he is. He goes to the JLA, everyone tells him (or thinks about) how great he is. He goes to work at the Planet, that whole paper is devoted to NOTHING but talking about how great he is. His own job AT the paper is making reports on how great he is or what awesome thing he just did, and there are characters that were designed largely just around showing how great he is (Superboy and Jimmy Olsen for starters). Same goes for a lot of the DC heroes, heck there's a Flash MUSEUM for crying out loud.

Frankly I think writers spend more time trying to think up ways of telling him how great he is than actual dialogue on anything else. Thor's a -GOD- and he doesn't spend half his time getting the worship Superman does, even though he's just about as powerful, just as heroic, and saves lives as selflessly as Superman does. I just get sick of seeing Superman's knob getting constantly stroked.

And the funny thing is, after all is said and done, I can generally sit down and read a DC story without shuddering. There are some decent ones out there, and some Vertigo titles are nothing short of amazing. I just hate the -quite literal- hero worship granted to the handful of big names by writers and fans alike.

I'm saving this...

its true, DC has better writing overall, but the foundation is lacking.
Marvel has the foundation, but not the writing, at the moment.

superman lives to show how great he is, when he is Clark Kent

Spiderman life is hell, and Peter unwillingly contributes to that.

Then the xupgrades, god.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Last edited by Tha C-Master on Aug 24th, 2005 at 02:05 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 02:02 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

So you don't like Supes and you like Marvel more then smile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 02:14 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
So you don't like Supes and you like Marvel more then smile

I dislike Supes' writing and fanboys. The character himself would be fine.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 07:35 PM
Khellendros is currently offline Click here to Send Khellendros a Private Message Find more posts by Khellendros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

DC's originality is what gets me. I love it.

I think a story where Superman goes crazy and attacks his friends is needed though. I hope some writers find a way to a story like that into print. It would be an excellent twist that no one would ever see coming.

Also, I think it's time we shake things up a bit in Gotham. Batman needs a protege to carry on the torch after he is long gone. You know, like some sort of character that dawns the mantle of the Bat and carries on the tradition after training and fighting with Bruce. Or maybe even someone as a backup, or fill in. Heck, why not even make it a girl?

Why not? Let's go wild.

Doop Lives...

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 09:38 PM
8bitChris is currently offline Click here to Send 8bitChris a Private Message Find more posts by 8bitChris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

All this talk about character development in DC is skewed.

When did character development = Super Heroes arguing and yelling at each other all the time? At the end of the day, everyone is the same. They are just pissed at their friends now.

Ooooo...DC is so cool now...Dark and broody for the sake of being Dark and broody. Dark and Broody is what is trendy and all the hip cats are reading that stuff now so DC is so sweet. Oooo...shoot Blue Beetle in the face like a dipstick...OoOooO crack Max's neck...What a good story!!

Ooooo...tell the fans all they need to buy is the O.M.A.C. project and then carry the story into a billion f!!cking issues(minor exageration) and apologize about it later. Yeah, like they didn't know what they were doing with that sucker punch.

That and the upgrades...*cries* the ridiculous upgrades.....Oh Batman...what have they done to you?!?

With that said, the comic companies that fall under DC's umbrella are sweet. The new Green Lantern is a good read too.

Doop Lives...

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 09:45 PM
8bitChris is currently offline Click here to Send 8bitChris a Private Message Find more posts by 8bitChris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by 8bitChris
Also, I think it's time we shake things up a bit in Gotham. Batman needs a protege to carry on the torch after he is long gone. You know, like some sort of character that dawns the mantle of the Bat and carries on the tradition after training and fighting with Bruce. Or maybe even someone as a backup, or fill in. Heck, why not even make it a girl?

Ya mean, like Robin? Or the other Robin? Or the other one? Or Bat-girl?

I see what you're saying though (not in this part really, but in the entire post). Skaing things up is good. Hopefully the new Crisis will cement some much needed changes in some of the core characters.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 04:24 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
I think a story where Superman goes crazy and attacks his friends is needed though. I hope some writers find a way to a story like that into print. It would be an excellent twist that no one would ever see coming.

What? That's happend like 20 times!

Superman goes crazy (of course it isn't his fault, he's perfect) and Batman takes him out....the tough way..ooooo...

D.C needs to get rid of Superman/Wonder Woman/superboy/girl

Then we can have a story.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 05:41 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

quote:

Ya mean, like Robin? Or the other Robin? Or the other one? Or Bat-girl?

I see what you're saying though (not in this part really, but in the entire post). Skaing things up is good. Hopefully the new Crisis will cement some much needed changes in some of the core characters.

I meant like Robin I/Nightwing, Robin II, Robin III, Azrael, Batwoman, The Batgirls, The cartoon Batman Begins etc...

quote:

What? That's happend like 20 times!

Superman goes crazy (of course it isn't his fault, he's perfect) and Batman takes him out....the tough way..ooooo...

D.C needs to get rid of Superman/Wonder Woman/superboy/girl

Then we can have a story.

My first post was supposed to be sarcastic smile.

It was a play on DC's recycling of plot devices.

The second post? That was me venting.

Doop Lives...

Last edited by 8bitChris on Aug 25th, 2005 at 06:01 AM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 05:56 AM
Starscream M

I think why alot of people seem to dislike DC is because they haven't had the chance to read or follow the sotrylines...DC's comics are harder to jump right into midway as opposed to Marvel.

I think alot of people are like me, the very casual comic book person who doesn't really have much time to read or follow comics and just go to the Barnes and Nobles to occasionally browse through the books. Since Marvels comics are often more flashy and superficially exciting, people tend to gravitate towards Marvel over DC. For example, batman comics are usually pretty deep and you gotta actually read the dialogue whereas an issue of avengers or xmen has alot of battles and stuff that would interest the casual reader.

my 2 pennies

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 06:50 AM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

My problem is the bloody worship.

This is a minor gripe of mine too. Everyone loves (e.g.) Superman in (e.g.) Metropolis. I dunno maybe it's just me but I find a little more realism in the more anti-hero types. If someone like Superman landed on earth I doubt he'd be embraced as readily as he is in the comics. That's not human nature. I know, I know people are going to say "but people read comics to escape reality" - still the level of adulation just irks me a bit.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 07:32 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

One more thing about DC....It seems like if you're not one of their trio(Bats,Supes,WW) they don't give a f**k about you. Flash, GA and a group of lames get nearly beaten by Deathstroke. None of the big 3 are there to get near-owned. How is WW more important than Flash? WW sux!!!! Does she sell more books than him or something?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 07:51 AM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

I know flash is SOOOO underrated, its disgusting.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 02:28 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by 8bitChris
I meant like Robin I/Nightwing, Robin II, Robin III, Azrael, Batwoman, The Batgirls, The cartoon Batman Begins etc...

My first post was supposed to be sarcastic smile.

It was a play on DC's recycling of plot devices.

The second post? That was me venting.

Shall I discuss Marvel recycling plots hmmmmmm.

How is Wolverines memory, Spidey's love life, Iron Mans overcome alcoholism how many times etc etc etc laughing out loud

As I said before both have good and bad stories generally DC imo is better written smile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 02:39 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

DC has better writing, marvel has a better foundation though...

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 02:59 PM
Creshosk

DC is nowhere near as bad as they used to be. Pre-Crisis era DC recycled plots very frequently.

quote:
Apparently the rationale was that in any given year the comic title will have a near completely new audience compared to the one it had last year, so they felt free to reuse story ideas because it was all new to their current readership. And we're not talking about a simple rehash of a broad idea like "Lois gets married" or "Lois gets superpowers," we're talking about specific plots like "Jimmy gets his brain switched with a gorilla's," or "Jimmy gets turned into a werewolf."

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 03:10 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote