KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » kING OF TEAMS:2ND BOUT

which one
This poll is closed.
Jinzin's Darkhearts 14 29.79%
Lord-of-Dreams' team dreamer 33 70.21%
Total: 47 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kING OF TEAMS:2ND BOUT
Started by: HigH ScholaR

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 7 8 [9]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

The verb as it is being used still has connotations of a swift and decisive action. The context that we are looking at is in reference to combat. To say that Wolverine levels armies is disingenuous.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 03:10 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
The verb as it is being used still has connotations of a swift and decisive action. The context that we are looking at is in reference to combat. To say that Wolverine levels armies is disingenuous.
But you can still level a building with a wrcking ball, and that would take a few hits to do.

So its not an instantaneous action. Because then "leveling in one hit" would as I said before, be redundant.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 03:15 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Still swift and decisive - imo I'm in no way "levelling a building" with a hammer and chisel even if I do manage to eventually tear it down.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 03:21 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Still swift and decisive - imo I'm in no way "levelling a building" with a hammer and chisel even if I do manage to eventually tear it down.
Swift and decisive don't appear in ANY definition of leveling that I've seen:

http://onelook.com/?w=level&ls=a

Unless you can find me the dictionary that has "swift and decisive" in its definition. The site I linked you to should allow you to search several dictionaries. Which one has "swift and decisive" when refering to knocking something down?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 03:26 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Did I say denotations, I said connotations? Besides I was too lazy to find an actual legit dictionary so I was using Answers.com and Dictionary.com and both have this as one of their definitions: "To knock down with or as if with a blow."

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 03:31 PM
Creshosk

Did I say denotations, I said connotations? Besides I was too lazy to find an actual legit dictionary so I was using Answers.com and Dictionary.com and both have this as one of their definitions: "To knock down with or as if with a blow."

If you want to get technical, that last blow could be "a blow". . . but that doesn't mean that it's one blow, or "swift and decisive".

Jinzin has already stated that it was not intended to be "one blow".

So the context that he was using it was not "one blow".

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 03:34 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

I don't want to get technical - I hate arguing semantics.
But frankly imo it's still disingenuous and hyperbolic to say that Wolverine levels armies.

Black Bolt levels armies. yes
Wolverine levels armies? huh

I'm off - so you'll have to find someone else to argue about words with.

Last edited by xmarksthespot on Aug 31st, 2005 at 03:44 PM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 03:42 PM
Creshosk

I don't want to get technical - I hate arguing semantics.
But frankly imo it's still disingenuous and hyperbolic to say that Wolverine levels armies.

Black Bolt levels armies. yes
Wolverine levels armies? huh
They both level armies, BB just does it faster, that doesn't mean that Wolverine can't "knock down" armies does it? Since that's all level means. "Knock down." There is no reference to speed.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 03:45 PM
jinzin

Originally posted by Creshosk
There is a difference between levelling an army with one attack and leveling an army after a battle.

Levelling an army simply means taking down the army.

yes this was my interpretation of that particular figure of speech when I wrote it...

Old Post Aug 31st, 2005 05:11 PM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote