KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!

Top ten most influential artists in music since 1952!
Started by: Sir Whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Captain Kirk
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Beatles seem to have done a lot. Wow that AC guy was owned with the same post twice. Cool.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:24 PM
Captain Kirk is currently offline Click here to Send Captain Kirk a Private Message Find more posts by Captain Kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
I always resort to secondary opinions from reputable experts who share my opinion agreed. I like to know my opinion is supported by evidence and not empty opinion - agreed. smile

Hypocrisy, I can tell that your charisma bypass was successful.

It was hypocricy wasn't it? You go around saying how music itself is subjective only to quote "experts" matter of factly. This shortlist, despite being a copy and paste job, is quite bullshit. Allow me:

Short listsmile

Musical
- renders much of existing USA RnR (esp Rockabilly, Phil. Mach., doo wop, pre-Motown girl groups, etc) out of style during initial introduction in 1964

So they were the next big thing, who cares? We're arguing influence, not popularity.

- intense appeal of music revives bland/stultified pop market, success set up environment for British Invasion

Being the first is different to being the most influential. That said, every band that came with the British Invasion (Deep Purple etc) were better.

- lay foundation for "arena rock," with their 1965 performance in Shea Stadium (NYC) entertaining 55,000 fans, demonstrating their intense appeal

Again, being the latest flavour doesn't meant you've innovated music. We're arguing influence and innovation, not popularity. Come on dude, do better.

- Beatles helped set in motion a maturation process for RnR, ultimately ending with their contribution for establishing "Rock" by proving that RnR could be conduit for significant message re culture/society: in process they expanded to embrace topics and musical style formerly excluded from RnR genre

Speaking on current issues? It was done before The Beatles and it was done after. Them being the flavour of the time is what made people pay attention, not their talent. Green Day made a lot of kids into anti-bush followers due to their overwhelming popularity. It doesn't mean nobody before hadn't done it.

- expansion in full bloom on Revolver '66: "Taxman"--protest about rapacious taxation by UK govt, "Eleanor Rigby"-- reflecting on emptiness of life and religious ritual, melody set to string quartet (no trad. rock insts), "Love To You"-- introduction of subcontinent Indian musical style (raga) and instruments (tabla and sitar), "Tomorrow Never Knows"-- Lennon advocation for opening one's mind to new experience, exploiting technical innovations (see technical)

So they spoke about spiritual things and real world issues in their songs, so what? Again, nothing that hadn't been done before. Their POPULARITY just made it noticeable.

None of them were technically great musicians.

- music sets new artistic and commercial standards for future RnR (the "yardstick" by which every group will be measure in '60s and into '70s)

Yeah, they were the first boyband. Is that what we have to thank them for? Nice. What great standards they set.

- sets trend for bands establishing and maintaining artistic control over their music:

Yeah, then one of them famously got outbid for his own music by Michael Jackson. Great control there.

- inaugurate era of "self-contained" band (inspiring thousands to pick up guitars and imitate them)

Again and again, someone inspired The Beatles to pick up guitars and play them. When are you going to prove they were massively innovative and influential? You're not doing so.

- help to reestablish trend that artists compose songs for themselves: bands now expected (by fans) to create own material; redirects song-writing trend away from centralized, production-line, professional song-writing concept indicative of Brill Bldg

Claiming that they're innovative for writing their own songs? Hahahahaha. Too funny, go on.

- set trend for bands to record their music themselves

Hahaha, no seriously, continue. Waiting to see how innovative and influential they are...

- in all, establishing many aspects of "DIY" trend, which becomes measure of authority

They established that you should do it yourself? A) They didn't and B) Big deal. That's a fact and it was a fact before The Beatles.

- accorded credit for creating new style of album with Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band: "concept album," in which songs can be seen to relate to one central topic or idea

They opened the doors for bands to be overly pretentious and uncharacteristically wanky? Good job.

- helps establish "album" rather than "single" as industry standard
- seen as pushing Beatle creativity into realm of classical music: Pepper's songs now contain stylistic diversity and artistic sophistication to be considered equivalent to Romantic "art-song" and album equivalent to Romantic "song cycle" by Schubert, Schumann, Wolf, etc
- seen as early pioneers of music video with promotional film for "SFF", also sections of HDN

Music video is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with music itself. We're discussing MUSIC innovation and influence (well, I am. You're just showing how popular they were and what they did).

- said to start (but re-introduce) concept of double A-side single

So? So what? Where's the overwhelming evidence that they influenced the most people ever and innovated more than FNM?

Music Technology/Creative Process
- begin to create exclusively in studio (retire from touring in 12/66)
- first successful band to do so, set trend for future bands
- pioneer new techniques to maintain creative/innovative musical style
- begin to rely on creativity of studio technicians/producer:
- E.g. ADT (artificial double tracking ["flanging"]) created to ease problematic vocal double-tracking process for JLennon, comes into wide-spread use on instruments in future albums
- E.g. Lennon's request that G Martin combine two "uncombinable" versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"
- E.g. subjecting voices, instruments to unusual electronic modifications (limiters, etc) to produce sophisticated, inimitable "sound"
- explore innovative, avant-garde techniques (formerly unused in RnR)
- E.g. musique concrete--modification of sound through unconventional techniques: tape loops used in "Tomorrow..", steam calliope 'wash' used to help create circus atmosphere in "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite"
- E.g. Aleatoric approach toward creating orchestral crescendos in "Day In A Life"
- E.g. avant-garde influence in "Revolution No. 9"
- experimentation is so pervasive that nearly every subsequent technique used in Rock can be traced to precedent in Beatles music
- first significant group to achieve "verticality" in business through Apple Corp. (i.e controlling all significant aspects of their business (from songwriting to recording to movies etc. through an in-house/self-contained entity)

You're claiming they pioneered working in a studio? So what? WHERE is the proof that they are so much more innovative and influential than FNM? What are these pioneering techniques you love to cite by never detail? You can't just make claims and hope I'll go away. Come on, start spilling.

Also, wait. Lennon SUGGESTS that someone else does something innovative (George) because they can't do it themselves? What happened to "Do It Yourself" music? You know, the one thing you claim they pioneered? 99% of the "innovating" that "they" did wasn't even them, it was George.

All you managed to prove was that they did some stuff and made themselves extremely huge and popular.

I'll await the next essay on how they're more influential and innovative than bands like FNM and Radiohead.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Feb 6th, 2006 at 09:32 PM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:28 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lana
Not massively known - precisely my point.

*goes back to playing video games*

Not little known though are they?

Anybody else? I've got time.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:28 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It was hypocricy wasn't it? You go around saying how music itself is subjective only to quote "experts" matter of factly. This shortlist, despite being a copy and paste job, is quite bullshit. Allow me:

So they were the next big thing, who cares? We're arguing influence, not popularity.

Being the first is different to being the most influential. That said, every band that came with the British Invasion (Deep Purple etc) were better.

Again, being the latest flavour doesn't meant you've innovated music. We're arguing influence and innovation, not popularity. Come on dude, do better.

Speaking on current issues? It was done before The Beatles and it was done after. Them being the flavour of the time is what made people pay attention, not their talent.

So they spoke about spiritual things and real world issues in their songs, so what? Again, nothing that hadn't been done before. Their POPULARITY just made it noticeable.

None of them were technically great musicians.

Yeah, they were the first boyband. Is that what we have to thank them for? Nice. What great standards they set.

Yeah, then one of them famously got outbid for his own music by Michael Jackson. Great control there.

Again and again, someone inspired The Beatles to pick up guitars and play them. When are you going to prove they were massively innovative and influential? You're not doing so.

Claiming that they're innovative for writing their own songs? Hahahahaha. Too funny, go on.

Hahaha, no seriously, continue. Waiting to see how innovative and influential they are...

They established that you should do it yourself? A) They didn't and B) Big deal. That's a fact and it was a fact before The Beatles.

They opened the doors for bands to be overly pretentious and uncharacteristically wanky? Good job.

Music video is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with music itself. We're discussing MUSIC innovation and influence (well, I am. You're just showing how popular they were and what they did).

So? So what? Where's the overwhelming evidence that they influenced the most people ever and innovated more than FNM?

You're claiming they pioneered working in a studio? So what? WHERE is the proof that they are so much more innovative and influential than FNM? What are these pioneering techniques you love to cite by never detail? You can't just make claims and hope I'll go away. Come on, start spilling.

Also, wait. Lennon SUGGESTS that someone else does something innovative (George) because they can't do it themselves? What happened to "Do It Yourself" music? You know, the one thing you claim they pioneered? 99% of the "innovating" that "they" did wasn't even them, it was George.

All you managed to prove was that they did some stuff and made themselves extremely huge and popular.

I'll away the next essay on how they're more influential and innovative than bands like FNM and Radiohead.

-AC

Clutching at straws you really have refuted nothing.

Sorry mate. You've said a lot but still gone nowhere with it. Wheres your proof. I thought so - Non existant.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:30 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Might go to the farm.

Hear they've got some free range chickens.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:32 PM
Peach
mordrem

Not little known though are they?

Anybody else? I've got time.

-AC

Oh please, quit jumping at me, I'm on your side here.

They're not really a household name. A lot of people might recognize their music (because of songs like Epic), but probably won't know the name.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:32 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Might go to the farm.

Hear they've got some free range chickens.

-AC

What you choose to do at the farm with chickens is up to you wink If you video it you could susidise your student loan wink

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:33 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

They're not really a household name. A lot of people might recognize their music (because of songs like Epic), but probably won't know the name.

You called them a little known band. They're not.

End.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:34 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

We all like them..... but to say they are as influential as the Beatles is insane and yes AC most of those technical innovations had only been used in moern "classical" and "avant garde" music.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:35 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

There's more to reply to, go on Whirly.

And no, it's no insane. I believe that they surpass The Beatles in every area by a long way, I find it hard to believe that anyone with objective comprehension of music would agree with you, but that's me.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:37 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

And no, it's no insane. I believe that they surpass The Beatles in every area by a long way, I find it hard to believe that anyone with objective comprehension of music would agree with you, but that's me.

-AC

Theres not really more to reply to AC

And I disagree and believe that your ideas are incredibly flawed. But thats me and every expert on google wink , but what's your opinion compared to that of thousands of others? I know you'll play the "popularist" card, problem is it doesn't really get you out of jail.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:42 PM
Captain Kirk
Restricted

Account Restricted

-AC

Give it up, you're getting owned badly Mr.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:46 PM
Captain Kirk is currently offline Click here to Send Captain Kirk a Private Message Find more posts by Captain Kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Theres not really more to reply to AC

And I disagree and believe that your ideas are incredibly flawed. But thats me and every expert on google wink , but what's your opinion compared to that of thousands of others? I know you'll play the "popularist" card, problem is it doesn't really get you out of jail.

What do you think of Britney Spears? That she's shit? Millions would disagree. What's your opinion to MILLIONS of others?

I'm an expert on music, writing for a magazine or website doesn't make you any different. NME, a major publication, didn't know about Queens of the Stone Age till their second or third album. Officiality doesn't equate intelligence or credibility, nor does mass opinion.

The very fact that you resort to Google is pathetic. Google also believes that Robbie Williams is heavy metal remember?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:47 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Captain Kirk
Give it up, you're getting owned badly Mr.

I've already established that you're another person that I've already whooped here under a different name. It happens often and it's the oldest trick in the book.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:50 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

What do you think of Britney Spears? That she's shit? Millions would disagree. What's your opinion to MILLIONS of others?

You seem to think of her more than me as you use this all the time i've noticed, it's cool she's a healthy girl.

I'm an expert on music, writing for a magazine or website doesn't make you any different.

laughing out loud My mum went to trinity college London at 15, she's an expert on music AC.

Officiality doesn't equate intelligence or credibility, nor does mass opinion.

Cringe roll eyes (sarcastic)

[i]
The very fact that you resort to Google is pathetic. Google also believes that Robbie Williams is heavy metal remember?

-AC [/B]

And you think Faith No More are as influential as the Beatles, I'm waiting for you to make a point here AC. confused

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:52 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

AC, it's okay that YOU believe they're not as influential, but when thousands of producers, musicians, music historians regard the Beatles as the most influential band ever, even you have to step aside and say: Hmm, they have something. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. The outcome is not determined by how you feel on the subject matter.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:54 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

You seem to think of her more than me as you use this all the time i've noticed, it's cool she's a healthy girl.

Your point was that thousands of opinions over-ride mine. Then if the numbers game is what you want to play, you couldn't argue The Beatles over Britney, could you?

laughing out loud My mum went to trinity college London at 15, she's an expert on music AC.

Point? I don't need a music "officiality" badge to know I'm an expert on music. Being an "official" music expert just means you've got a shiny certificate to prove it. Doesn't mean she knows more.

And you think Faith No More are as influential as the Beatles, I'm waiting for you to make a point here AC. confused

Why chicken out all the time? You resort to Google because you don't know enough. I don't need Google in my debates. Your mentality is "Look how many hits I get on Google, they know their stuff, I agree, so that means I win."

Stupidness.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:56 PM
Bardock42

Well I think jsut through their popularity the Beatles probably invluenced a greater number of Musicians to follow (then they also had more years than faith no more)

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:56 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BobbyD
AC, it's okay that YOU believe they're not as influential, but when thousands of producers, musicians, music historians regard the Beatles as the most influential band ever, even you have to step aside and say: Hmm, they have something. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. The outcome is not determined by how you feel on the subject matter.

I don't have to do anything.

Are they massively influential? Yes. Are they the most innovative and influential band ever? No, not to me they aren't. Many agree. It doesn't matter if more agree with you and Whirly than me and whoever, neither of us can factually prove it, but I don't have to agree.

They're just opinions, nothing there is fact. I'm not denying their talent or their influence, I'm denying them of a title that they don't deserve.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 09:57 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Your point was that thousands of opinions over-ride mine.

Thats it smile

you couldn't argue The Beatles over Britney, could you?

Back to your Britney fetish wink

Point? I don't need a music "officiality" badge to know I'm an expert on music.

laughing out loud Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you worse advice, perhaps AC's funniest line ever. the pompousity is incredible.

I use Secondary sources because I know what to search for to support my arguments smile If clues were shoes, you'd go barefoot AC trust me.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 10:01 PM