KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Dooku vs Mace--Metal Swords

Dooku vs Mace--Metal Swords
Started by: DiamondBullets

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I dunno. Just don't be hatin'.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2006 02:47 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Man this thread got way off topic...

Old Post Apr 25th, 2006 04:12 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

It's too deep a topic for the basic crowd here.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2006 04:40 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Janus Marius
It's too deep a topic for the basic crowd here.

A shame... it was an interesting idea.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2006 06:02 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I think so.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2006 09:41 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Meh, I'm just at the epitome of lazyness....

Old Post Apr 25th, 2006 11:18 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Generic Hero
KGB

Nice screen name...

Old Post Apr 25th, 2006 11:19 PM
Click here to Send Generic Hero a Private Message Find more posts by Generic Hero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I know, I take uberness to the next level...

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 01:04 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PurpleSaber
Vaapad Master

Rapier fighting is very similar to the first form of fencing, which is mainly stabbing and not slashing. Dooku's style (and all lightsaber styles) mainly slash and attack with the side of the saber/blade, not the tip. So Dooku wouldn't be familiar with how to fight with rapiers. However fighting with katanas is very similar to lightsabers mainly because you chop or slash with the side of the blade, and do not stab. Also, rapiers while still "sturdy" tend to be flimsier than a katana.

Therefore, I say Mace wins.

I'm so proud of myself. I made my own sig! stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 01:42 AM
Click here to Send PurpleSaber a Private Message Find more posts by PurpleSaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rampant ox

I always thought that Dookus Makashi style was based on fencing. I could be wrong however. Mace MIGHT win this fight but in a duel with lightsabers Dooku would wtf pwn Mace while blindfolded and both his arms tied behind his back!!! big grin

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 02:10 AM
Click here to Send Rampant ox a Private Message Find more posts by Rampant ox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Originally posted by PurpleSaber
Rapier fighting is very similar to the first form of fencing, which is mainly stabbing and not slashing. Dooku's style (and all lightsaber styles) mainly slash and attack with the side of the saber/blade, not the tip. So Dooku wouldn't be familiar with how to fight with rapiers. However fighting with katanas is very similar to lightsabers mainly because you chop or slash with the side of the blade, and do not stab. Also, rapiers while still "sturdy" tend to be flimsier than a katana.

Therefore, I say Mace wins.

It helps if you read.

Firstly, Dooku's style is based on Spanish fencing. Early Spanish rapiers were more like sword-rapiers than those thin French pig-stickers you see in the Three Musketeers. So he's actually got a natural advantage here.

Meanwhile, Mace's angles of attack narrow down to 8 directions, which drastically changes his fighting style.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 02:46 AM
PurpleSaber
Vaapad Master

I used to take a fencing class, and in fencing you mainly parry and then stab at the torso. You try to keep your sword pointed at the opponent most of the time. Dooku however slashes and does lots of side attacks and swipes. The only way Dooku's style is similar to Spanish fencing is that it is more elegant than other lightsaber forms, and he uses one hand.

Btw, I like your Hugh Laurie sig.

Last edited by PurpleSaber on Apr 26th, 2006 at 03:45 AM

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 03:40 AM
Click here to Send PurpleSaber a Private Message Find more posts by PurpleSaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Thank you.

But keep in mind not all fencing is the epee and the rapier. The saber is equally used.

And to elaborate on that, fencing is also a generic term applied to European fighting with the sword. If you check into the history of the rapier, you see that it was based on a Spanish blade that cut as well as it stabbed.

Last edited by Janus Marius on Apr 26th, 2006 at 03:59 AM

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 03:56 AM
PurpleSaber
Vaapad Master

Weren't Spanish rapiers similar to swords that were used in the Civil War? The ones used by the cavalry and generals. Because I have a sword from the Civil War and I always thought that was the kind of sword used by the French and Spanish.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 04:07 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Here's an early Spanish rapier...

(please log in to view the image)

Versus a Civil War calvary saber.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 04:15 AM
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

They look exactly the same . . .

Sarcasm is such a beautiful thing!

An Ancient Prophecy . . . The deity shall walk forth . . .

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 04:18 AM
Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PurpleSaber
Vaapad Master

Both of those swords are made for fencing. (Keep in mind when I say fencing, I am talking about form one where you mainly stab and lunge) While it is possible to use Dooku's style of Makashi with those, it would be quite ineffective against a sword such as a katana. They are flimsier.

They would also be ineffective for blocking a katana. They barely have any broad side and might break if Mace put enough weight into the attack.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 04:24 AM
PurpleSaber
Vaapad Master

This is very similar to the Civil War sword I have only without the strings.

Attachment: 3ulmanswordsmall.jpg
This has been downloaded 41 time(s).

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 04:33 AM
Swirly Girl
Antediluvian

Good topic, but I'm more inclined to say that Dooku wins.

Dooku's natural style, as many have pointed out is basically a slightly adapted fencing style, with lots of neat cuts and stabs. Dooku will have the least trouble adapting his fighting style. He'll also be the one that fights the most efficiently.

Mace's natural style requires a lot of wide swings. Mace is not going to be able to strike as fast a Dooku, nor parry any stabbing thrusts with any manner of ease.

Mace has the advantage of a stronger blade, however.

This'll be hard, but I could see Dooku taking this...

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 05:47 AM
Click here to Send Swirly Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Swirly Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Originally posted by PurpleSaber
Both of those swords are made for fencing. (Keep in mind when I say fencing, I am talking about form one where you mainly stab and lunge) While it is possible to use Dooku's style of Makashi with those, it would be quite ineffective against a sword such as a katana. They are flimsier.

They would also be ineffective for blocking a katana. They barely have any broad side and might break if Mace put enough weight into the attack.

No, actually they're not. The top blade (Spanish rapier) is not adapted for the fencing styles you may be familiar with today (And that's because it predates them by hundreds of years.) The weapon was initially made by peasants, and was sharpened on the sides, making it useable for sideways cuts as well as thrusting. The main purpose of the blade was to make swordplay depend less on extensive physical strength and more on speed of hand and speed of mind. Also, the range gives the amateur a comfortable barrier between himself and the opponent. Later on, this evolved into the fencing form we see today. But what Dooku uses is based more on the original classic form, which DOES include cuts and deflection.

Now, I'm not sure where you concluded that a katana was stronger than a rapier (Cuz it's not- some of the best steelmakers in the western world come from Toledo, Spain) but that's not the case. Also, while Mace Windu is forced to move his entire top half with each strike (Keep in mind, swinging a katana is a lot like swinging a reaper- you have to swing from the hips more often than not), Dooku can concentrate on footwork, keep a comfortable barrier between him and Mace, and literally pick him apart. And your average katana has a smaller range than your average rapier, too.

Add that to the fact that Mace has to really adapt to a limited style, and you have Dooku triumphing in this case.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 02:33 PM