KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » The Battle Bar, Our Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

The Battle Bar, Our Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy
Started by: calvs

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3287): « First ... « 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NemeBro

Who is your favorite character and why is it Kenny?

Old Post Aug 21st, 2014 09:46 PM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by truejedi
There isnt a double standard. I was already saying let slip the dogs of war before this happened.

Dave, I take back everything I ever said about you being a warmonger. That title belongs to TJ.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 01:46 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Me thinks you're using that word incredibly loosely, which is consistent with an extreme isolationist.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 01:48 AM
Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

And isolationist isn't really the word for me, more anti-interventionist. But advocating a war against a religion (TJ despises Islam) out of fear of that religion is warmongering. He's never been clear on what he really thinks should be done about Muslims, but..."let slip the dogs of war" against a concept... Jesus f*ck.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 01:59 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Originally posted by Nalaniel
Every nation sucks.

Yeah sadly, you're right Nala. but what can we do? Politicians rarely care about what the people think about. It's sad and a little depressing to think about. But i suppose that's life at times

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 02:12 AM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
And isolationist isn't really the word for me, more anti-interventionist. But advocating a war against a religion (TJ despises Islam) out of fear of that religion is warmongering. He's never been clear on what he really thinks should be done about Muslims, but..."let slip the dogs of war" against a concept... Jesus f*ck.

I'm not advocating a war against religion. The majority of muslims are peaceful. I AM advocating the obliteration of these militant groups as well as the ones in Africa.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 10:52 AM
Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'm on board with their annihilation. I'd just like to see the locals do it.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 11:59 AM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why? It would be faster and more efficient if we do it. I would agree with you if everything was a slow and steady process but based on the ruthlessness of ISIS, time is of the essence.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 12:01 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I'm on board with their annihilation. I'd just like to see the locals do it.

thumb up

Originally posted by psmith81992
Why? It would be faster and more efficient if we do it. I would agree with you if everything was a slow and steady process but based on the ruthlessness of ISIS, time is of the essence.

Time if off the essence to ensure an American friendly government stays in place there wink

Seriously though just leave Iraq alone now. Enough damage has been done to that place. If you're really worried about ruthless people like ISIS, then believe you me there's plenty of other countries out there to go invade. Since "Invasion" and Air Strikes seems to be the go to answer every time there's murderers rampaging around in other countries.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Aug 22nd, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 12:06 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, Africa comes next. But I'd rather invade the country that's systematically wiping out the Christians in that area before I go elsewhere.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 12:23 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Because I'm not convinced of IS' threat to the West. They're a threat to the people of Mesopotamia and the people of Mesopotamia deserve to wipe them out. I said it a little while ago--I'm a big believer in a nation coming in to it's own. Iraq as a country, as an entity, is new and fragile. There's not a cohesive "idea" that is Iraq, beyond superficial borders. I want the Iraqis to know what it's like to fight and die for the idea of their country, whatever they decide that's going to be. It was quite heartening to see so many of them come out and volunteer to fight of a threat to their national existence. And I want them to do it largely by themselves. Some intelligence and ancillary support, sure. But the bulk should be left to a new generation of Iraqis willing to go to war to protect their families, their country, and all it stands for.

Ditto for the Kurds, who already have a strong, hardened sense of themselves and their idea for their future. And if leaving these peoples alone to fight their own war has the added advantage of keeping the West out of another costly foreign conflict, then all the better.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 12:26 PM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Because I'm not convinced of IS' threat to the West. They're a threat to the people of Mesopotamia and the people of Mesopotamia deserve to wipe them out.

They're not a threat to the west, but they don't need to be for us to wipe THEM out.

quote:
I said it a little while ago--I'm a big believer in a nation coming in to it's own. Iraq as a country, as an entity, is new and fragile. There's not a cohesive "idea" that is Iraq, beyond superficial borders. I want the Iraqis to know what it's like to fight and die for the idea of their country, whatever they decide that's going to be. It was quite heartening to see so many of them come out and volunteer to fight of a threat to their national existence. And I want them to do it largely by themselves. Some intelligence and ancillary support, sure. But the bulk should be left to a new generation of Iraqis willing to go to war to protect their families, their country, and all it stands for.

And how many people need to die before you change your stance on this issue?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 12:34 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

They're not a threat to the west, but they don't need to be for us to wipe THEM out.
Disagree. Though I'm interested in where you draw the line when it comes to obliteration. North Korea isn't a threat to the West, but do you favor obliterating them too?

And how many people need to die before you change your stance on this issue?
A loaded question, as I'm comfortable with many deaths. So long as the lives and sovereignty of Westerners inside Western borders is not compromised, I'm comfortable with a lengthy war of attrition between IS and their regional enemies. I'm comfortable with the Syrian rebels fighting a war with the Syrian government for 3+ years with, as the UN recently reported, a death toll of over 191,000. I'm comfortable with tolerating the loss of Western journalists and aid workers within these non-Western territories. I'm comfortable with tolerating Israel earning the world's ire and wrath by massacring Gaza civilians, and vice versa.

Death tolls won't win my support for intervention. Nor will specific targets such as foreign travelers (like Foley), or minority groups like Iraqi Christians. Give them intelligence support, lend them drone attacks, drop in supplies. But the men on the ground doing the fighting I'm always going to want to be locals.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 12:44 PM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Disagree. Though I'm interested in where you draw the line when it comes to obliteration. North Korea isn't a threat to the West, but do you favor obliterating them too?

Just the leadership. But I'm more about obliterating insurgents who are committing mass murder than I am about governments. I don't like either but it's more of a political disaster trying to topple governments.

quote:
A loaded question, as I'm comfortable with many deaths. So long as the lives and sovereignty of Westerners inside Western borders is not compromised, I'm comfortable with a lengthy war of attrition between IS and their regional enemies. I'm comfortable with the Syrian rebels fighting a war with the Syrian government for 3+ years with, as the UN recently reported, a death toll of over 191,000. I'm comfortable with tolerating the loss of Western journalists and aid workers within these non-Western territories. I'm comfortable with tolerating Israel earning the world's ire and wrath by massacring Gaza civilians, and vice versa.

That's where we disagree. I'm not comfortable with needless mass genocide, unless that mass genocide is geared towards insurgents. And I more than support our intervention because we're the only ones who are equipped to do these things.

quote:
Death tolls won't win my support for intervention. Nor will specific targets such as foreign travelers (like Foley), or minority groups like Iraqi Christians. Give them intelligence support, lend them drone attacks, drop in supplies. But the men on the ground doing the fighting I'm always going to want to be locals.

Why not meet in the middle and have our ground troops go in there and simultaneously kill ISIS troops/train Iraqi and Kurdish troops?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 12:49 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Just the leadership. But I'm more about obliterating insurgents who are committing mass murder than I am about governments. I don't like either but it's more of a political disaster trying to topple governments.
True. And the one big upside tyrannical governments tend to offer is stability. It's easier to work with that in the long run.

That's where we disagree. I'm not comfortable with needless mass genocide, unless that mass genocide is geared towards insurgents. And I more than support our intervention because we're the only ones who are equipped to do these things.
Conflicting ideologies, I guess. Though I'd say we're not the only ones capable--Russia, China, Iran could all do it. Their involvement could well precipitate a need to get their first, so to say.

Why not meet in the middle and have our ground troops go in there and simultaneously kill ISIS troops/train Iraqi and Kurdish troops?
We're sort of already doing that. The 130 Obama sent in a few weeks ago brings the total number to 1,000. Non-combat though. And to me that's far enough. American troops to protect American embassies and train local units. Then those local units go and fight for their country.

As a political motivation for non-involvement, I'd also throw in that taking the fight to IS' front doors will mean crossing the border in to Syria. As much as the Iraqis may want U.S. troops in their country to help them out, I'm not so sure al-Assad feels similarly about his own country. Should it happen, it could provide an unwanted pretext in global affairs for other countries to feel A-OK sending in THEIR troops in to other nations on the grounds of "combatting terrorism".

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 01:01 PM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Though I'd say we're not the only ones capable--Russia, China, Iran could all do it. Their involvement could well precipitate a need to get their first, so to say.

Russia and China don't give a shit about anybody else and I don't think Iran is equipped to handle these situations.

quote:
We're sort of already doing that. The 130 Obama sent in a few weeks ago brings the total number to 1,000. Non-combat though. And to me that's far enough. American troops to protect American embassies and train local units. Then those local units go and fight for their country.

Sorry, I disagree. When a group of people is being hunted down and killed by the masses, swift action is needed. Training Iraqi/Kurdish military is a long term solution.

quote:
As a political motivation for non-involvement, I'd also throw in that taking the fight to IS' front doors will mean crossing the border in to Syria. As much as the Iraqis may want U.S. troops in their country to help them out, I'm not so sure al-Assad feels similarly about his own country. Should it happen, it could provide an unwanted pretext in global affairs for other countries to feel A-OK sending in THEIR troops in to other nations on the grounds of "combatting terrorism".

Think you're using a slippery slope to get your point across.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 02:58 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It is a slippery slope. Is destroying IS worth sending troops in to Syrian territory over? What happens when we inevitably run afoul of the government mercenaries or the rebels? Do we fight the Syrian government? Side with them? The rebels? They're all fighting IS, so what happens when we run in to each of them? Going that far has serious long-term ramifications that can't be predicted.

EDIT: The U.K. has ruled out allying with Assad to fight IS.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Aug 22nd, 2014 at 03:46 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 03:44 PM
Darth Thor

Yes, Africa comes next. But I'd rather invade the country that's systematically wiping out the Christians in that area before I go elsewhere.

Ah right, because Christians are more important people to save than everyone else right?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 04:23 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Uh what? Lol

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 04:26 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

You make me sick.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2014 04:30 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote