KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Most overrated and underrated Star Wars Characters

Most overrated and underrated Star Wars Characters
Started by: True Fox

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Great Vengeance

Alot of those reasons are flawed, Ill get around to explaining why later if I have time.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 09:45 PM
Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Generic Hero
KGB

Alright, I'll look forward to it wink

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 09:53 PM
Click here to Send Generic Hero a Private Message Find more posts by Generic Hero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

Yoda's easily a spectacular swordsmen, better than Mace.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smoker Stevens
Marihuana Smuggler

Underrated:
ANH Obi-Wan (he lost on purpose to Vader, he would have done better if he wanted to live, and he isn't that old...)
OT Vader (The conflict in him was holding him back in ROTJ and in ESB he was toying. If he was fighting another jedi then Luke, he wouldn't have no problems.)
Dooku (Anakin got lucky and Dooku was holding back cuz Sidious told him.)

Overrated:
Plo Koon (He isn't anything special Yaddle could handle him...)
Ragnos (He was good with the force, but not as good as many people think. He cant destroy Jedi's just by looking at them. Still he might be the strongest.)
DE Sidious (He knows a whole lot of the Darkside, but I don't see him as a great warrior)
Boba Fett (he is specialized in bounty hunting, not battling)
Darth Maul (He was a great fighter/assasin but he isn't smart enough to survive against jedi who try to surprise him.)

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 10:55 PM
Click here to Send Smoker Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Smoker Stevens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Great Vengeance

quote:
First of all, A>B>C comparisons don't always work. The upper tier of the PT doesn't work this way (Sidious > Dooku > Mace > Sidious, as another example).

I agree, A>B>C arguments dont always work. Saying Obi wan > Anakin > Dooku doesnt work, but neither does saying Anakin > Dooku > Obi wan. Ofcourse that is besides the point, its unclear whether Anakin fairly defeated Dooku or not.

quote:
George Lucas says that they are not equal. He says, in the RotS commentary, that Darth Vader was superior to Kenobi in both lightsaber dueling and force power.

Could you put what GL said in his own words? I dont remember him saying something like that. Im not saying your lieing, just give the exact quote so I can examine it better.

quote:
- Anakin wasn't as good as Kenobi in the emotions department. Kenobi had far greater control over his emotions.

Well yeah, almost *everyone* has greater control over his emotions than Anakin. That would include Dooku, but apparently that didnt save him. Emotional control is overrated. Actually I could argue, Anakins real power is unleashed when he *does* lose control over his emotions, because emotions feed the power of the dark side.

quote:
Add this to the fact that Anakin was going through intense emotional anguish with Padme.

You think Obi wan wasnt going through emotional anguish as well? Obi wan was fighting his long time friend and padawan in a duel that would most likely end in death.

"You were like a brother to me, Anakin!"

At first, Obi wan refused to even go after Anakin when Yoda told him to. And after the duel was all over, Obi wan was at the point of tears.

quote:
- Kenobi used a saber form (Soresu) who's purpose was to draw out fights. He basically stretched out the fight until Anakin did something stupid to mess up. Not only that, but his saber guard was never penetrated after becoming THE Soresu master.

Thats called strategy...Obi wan was just being a smart fighter. Anakin could be the most powerful person in the universe, but if he fights like an idiot then he wont defeat anyone. Im not disputing that Anakin has more potential and even raw power than Obi wan, but that alone isnt going to help him in real duels. Obi wan is an overall better warrior than Anakin, and the duel demonstrates that.

quote:
- Alot of the fight involved lava skateboarding, climbing and balance-fighting. Kenobi was usually the first to run to these things

WTF? I fail to see how this is even relevent.

quote:
- Anakin comes close to wrecking him a few times. A hard kick to the chest comes to mind as well.

'Close, but no cigar.

quote:
- Kenobi was his teacher and best friend. He knows him inside out.

And ofcourse the reverse to that logic is, Anakin knew Obi wan inside out as well.

quote:
- Anakin was winning the fight. At the line "This is the end for you my master" Kenobi is breathing hard and Anakin looks fine.

Subjective interpretation.

For all you know, it was just another ploy to get Anakin to make a mistake.

quote:
- Even with all these advantages for Kenobi, Anakin IIRC, according to GL, was going to win the fight if it continued.

Obi wan had no unfair advantages as I have explained, and again, give me the exact quote where it says Anakin would of won. Not that it matters. Kenobi won. Period.

---> Anakin isnt a better warrior than Kenobi. Mace? Sidious? Dont make me laugh. Anakin has more potential ofcourse, but his potential hasnt been realized enough to hang with the big boys.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 11:00 PM
Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rampant ox

quote: (post)
Originally posted by henniestevens
Underrated:
ANH Obi-Wan (he lost on purpose to Vader, he would have done better if he wanted to live, and he isn't that old...)
OT Vader (The conflict in him was holding him back in ROTJ and in ESB he was toying. If he was fighting another jedi then Luke, he wouldn't have no problems.)
Dooku (Anakin got lucky and Dooku was holding back cuz Sidious told him.)

Overrated:
Plo Koon (He isn't anything special Yaddle could handle him...)
Ragnos (He was good with the force, but not as good as many people think. He cant destroy Jedi's just by looking at them. Still he might be the strongest.)
DE Sidious (He knows a whole lot of the Darkside, but I don't see him as a great warrior)
Boba Fett (he is specialized in bounty hunting, not battling)
Darth Maul (He was a great fighter/assasin but he isn't smart enough to survive against jedi who try to surprise him.)

Thats a pretty perfect list you have there. And so far I think you are the only one who agrees with me that the Count is underrated. He would not get wtf pwned by Yoda, is better than Mace and could possibly beat Sids depending on the situation/environment. And there are many factors which determined the outcome of his ROTS fight - and Anakin being a better duelist is not one of them.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 08:52 AM
Click here to Send Rampant ox a Private Message Find more posts by Rampant ox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Generic Hero
KGB

Could you put what GL said in his own words? I dont remember him saying something like that. Im not saying your lieing, just give the exact quote so I can examine it better.

Just what I heard from someone who has the commentary. I could be wrong though.

Well yeah, almost *everyone* has greater control over his emotions than Anakin. That would include Dooku, but apparently that didnt save him. Emotional control is overrated. Actually I could argue, Anakins real power is unleashed when he *does* lose control over his emotions, because emotions feed the power of the dark side.

Anakin wasn't terribly emotionally stressed while fighting Dooku; he was while fighting Kenobi.

You think Obi wan wasnt going through emotional anguish as well? Obi wan was fighting his long time friend and padawan in a duel that would most likely end in death.

"You were like a brother to me, Anakin!"

At first, Obi wan refused to even go after Anakin when Yoda told him to. And after the duel was all over, Obi wan was at the point of tears.

Anakin loved Kenobi too. They were brothers. It's just that Anakin was going through the same thing Kenobi (Losing a friend and a "brother) plus losing the love of his life that he has done so much for.

Thats called strategy...Obi wan was just being a smart fighter. Anakin could be the most powerful person in the universe, but if he fights like an idiot then he wont defeat anyone. Im not disputing that Anakin has more potential and even raw power than Obi wan, but that alone isnt going to help him in real duels. Obi wan is an overall better warrior than Anakin, and the duel demonstrates that.

I agree, and his tactics saved him from losing.

WTF? I fail to see how this is even relevent.

Running away from Anakin doesn't exactly constitute to winning. When you beat the snot out of someone, they escape to a more advantageous position (whether it be a highground or simply hiding)

And ofcourse the reverse to that logic is, Anakin knew Obi wan inside out as well.

Not to the same extent. Kenobi was the teacher. He taught and evaluated most of what Anakin knows. Anakin is the student. Kenobi is the teacher. Anakin does know Kenobi from their cohesion in the Clone Wars, however due to his blind rage, may not have used this to his advantage on Mustafar; unlike Kenobi.

Subjective interpretation.

For all you know, it was just another ploy to get Anakin to make a mistake.

That's a possibility. But I don't think Kenobi has ever consciously played weak when he could have fought strong. Doesn't seem Jedi-like in the least.

Anakin isnt a better warrior than Kenobi. Mace? Sidious? Dont make me laugh. Anakin has more potential ofcourse, but his potential hasnt been realized enough to hang with the big boys.

More than enough to hang with, you know, Dooku who held off Mace in the Clone Wars.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 07:51 PM
Click here to Send Generic Hero a Private Message Find more posts by Generic Hero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Great Vengeance

quote:
Just what I heard from someone who has the commentary. I could be wrong though.

Well, come back when you have proof. wink

quote:
Anakin wasn't terribly emotionally stressed while fighting Dooku; he was while fighting Kenobi.

Dooku still had a much better handle on his emotions than Anakin did, and you didnt respond to my point about why emotions could be considered a source of power.

quote:
Anakin loved Kenobi too. They were brothers. It's just that Anakin was going through the same thing Kenobi (Losing a friend and a "brother) plus losing the love of his life that he has done so much for.

Well if your going to be like that, I could easily say that Obi wan had the added emotional anguish of seeing the republic(democracy) crumble before his eyes, having all his brethren(the jedi) slaughtered like animals, and generally all that he has ever worked or hoped for during his life get shattered. You cant really put a value on who was 'suffering more'.

quote:
I agree, and his tactics saved him from losing.

So you admit Kenobi is a better all-around warrior?

quote:
Running away from Anakin doesn't exactly constitute to winning. When you beat the snot out of someone, they escape to a more advantageous position (whether it be a highground or simply hiding)

Tactics again. Its all part of the game.

quote:
Not to the same extent. Kenobi was the teacher. He taught and evaluated most of what Anakin knows. Anakin is the student. Kenobi is the teacher. Anakin does know Kenobi from their cohesion in the Clone Wars, however due to his blind rage, may not have used this to his advantage on Mustafar; unlike Kenobi.

You cant really speculate on that. They both knew eachother very well, that should be enough.

quote:
That's a possibility. But I don't think Kenobi has ever consciously played weak when he could have fought strong. Doesn't seem Jedi-like in the least.

Sometimes desperate situations call for desperate measures. But thats not really the point, Im saying you cant just speculate that because Obi wan looked a bit winded, that he was on the point of defeat.

quote:

More than enough to hang with, you know, Dooku who held off Mace in the Clone Wars.

The ROTS novel makes it clear that it was all a stage between Anakin and Dooku. A scheme of Palpatine. And even in the movie, when Palpatine says 'Kill him' Dooku puts up an expression of 'WTF?'.

So really you cant use Anakin > Dooku as an argument of why Anakin > Obi wan. There are other factors you have to consider.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 08:21 PM
Blue_Hefner

Overrated: Darth Sidious, Malak, Luke, Revan, Yoda (in the novels I've reas whenever a jedi thinks he/she might not win, they always think about Yoda)
Underrated: Plo Koon (he should have lasted in ROTS seeing as how he lead the republic to victory by himself).

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 08:40 PM
Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geekonthainside
True Jedi at heart

Luke an anakin are way overrated weres the love for Kit Fisto and aayda??

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 08:52 PM
Click here to Send Geekonthainside a Private Message Find more posts by Geekonthainside Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Most Overrated- Ragnos, Ragnos, Ragnos, Ragnos, Revan.

Most Underated- Luke, Vong, Qui Gon.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 08:53 PM
Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Hexus
Cool Joe.

Originally posted by Great Vengeance
Overrated:

-RAGNOS!?!

-NIHILUS!?!

-All the ancient sith pretty much

-Dooku

Underrated:

-OT Vader

-OT Luke

-All forms of Sidious

-Spock
spock haha

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 09:13 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Hexus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Hexus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Hexus
Cool Joe.

dooku overrated, maul underrated. dooku is only overrated when people say he could beat sids, i disagree with that, but maul held his own against multiple jedi, and the black sun was crippled because of maul.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 09:16 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Hexus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Hexus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree that Anakin would have beaten Obi-Wan if time went on more. I also agree that Anakin doesn't get nearly as much credit as he should, despiet his whining.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 11:43 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
reborn_213
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Most Overrated- Ragnos, Ragnos, Ragnos, Ragnos, Revan.

Most Underated- Luke, Vong, Qui Gon.

Yeah. I'd just like to add a little. Dooku is overrated a lot. Meaning, by a lot of people, not like, they imagine him to be ridiculous sums of power greater than he actually is. Also, Maul is usually either overrated or underrated, by different people. Some say he could beat Vader, some say he would be beaten by TPM Obi Wan.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 11:48 PM
Click here to Send reborn_213 a Private Message Find more posts by reborn_213 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

What makes you think Luke of all people is underrated.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 12:41 AM
Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
reborn_213
Scruffy Nerf Herder

OT Luke, I meant.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 12:43 AM
Click here to Send reborn_213 a Private Message Find more posts by reborn_213 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Count Kent
Restricted

Account Restricted

Luke is underrated on this. I mean people rate him below Ranos for goodness sake.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 05:54 AM
Click here to Send Count Kent a Private Message Find more posts by Count Kent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheBalance
The Answer, The Reason

Originally posted by Darth Vious
He was still a wife-beater...

Anakin was not a wife beater that was Darth Vadar

My Sigs: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405474

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 01:04 PM
Click here to Send TheBalance a Private Message Find more posts by TheBalance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheBalance
The Answer, The Reason

Star Wars Facts

Originally posted by DiamondBullets
Overrated: Luke, Palpatine, Malak, Revan, Dooku, Yoda, Grievous

Underrated: Obi-Wan, Maul, Darth Vader, Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, Most of the Jedi Council members, The Gungan Grand Army,

Perfectly Rated: Mace, Jango & Boba, Stormtroopers

Overrated: Grievous

Underrated: Revan, Malak, The Exile, Obi-Wan, Maul, Anakin Skywalker, Mace, Kit Fisto, Most of the Jedi Council members, The Gungan Grand Army, Marka Ragnos

Perfectly Rated: Jango & Boba

Marka Ragnos
"The chains of the grave cannot hold a Dark Lord of the Sith..."
— Marka Ragnos
Marka Ragnos was a half-breed Dark Lord of the Sith of tremendous physical power as well as a frightening grasp of the dark side. He was one of the most powerful force users ever, as he defeated Simus in combat, proving himself worthy of the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith.
Feared, obeyed, and admired among the Sith, the details of his century-long reign are few, although his death marked the end of the high point of the Sith Empire, despite his reluctance to continue expansion. Immediately following his funeral, a schism erupted between the leaders of the Sith, and further events led to a major war with the Galactic Republic and, because the schism was never healed, ultimately the end of their interstellar empire.

His death resulted in the rise of another Sith Lord, Naga Sadow, shortly before the Great Hyperspace War. His spirit lingered in the Valley of the Dark Lords on Korriban, long after his death.

About one millennium after his death, Marka's spirit was summoned from the grave using a pair of Sith talismans and crowned Exar Kun as the new Dark Lord, and Ulic Qel-Droma as Kun's apprentice, all in an attempt to restore the lost empire of a thousand years prior. The Great Sith War devastated the galaxy once again, but the Sith Empire was not restored.

Ragnos's spirit dwelt in his tomb until once again returning from beyond the grave, this time summoned by a Sith cult known as the Disciples of Ragnos whose leader was Tavion, Desann's student.

Tavion used an ancient scepter made by Ragnos to drain residual Force energy and use it to empower her followers. She then planned to use the collected energy to resurrect Ragnos. When Jaden Korr entered the tomb, intending to stop Tavion, she managed to resurrect Ragnos by allowing his spirit to possess her body, but was nevertheless defeated by Jaden. Ragnos's ghost was forced back into his sarcophagus, screaming that he would return.

Marka Ragnos didn't wield a lightsaber, the common weapon of the Sith Lords and the Jedi Knights. He wielded a Sith sword, consisting of a metal blade enhanced by Sith sorcery, a weapon of the primitive Sith race.

My Sigs: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405474

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 01:42 PM
Click here to Send TheBalance a Private Message Find more posts by TheBalance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote