KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » No one is evil.

No one is evil.
Started by: Illuminati

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

'Humanity' (defined as: humanness, or the quality of being humane) itself is subjective to opinion, therefore being 'harmful to humanity' is also subjective...

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:16 AM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
'Humanity' (defined as: humanness, or the quality of being humane) itself is subjective to opinion, therefore being 'harmful to humanity' is also subjective...

Thank you, Mr. Evil D. Dodo.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:16 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NINJ4_BL4D3
Sly as a Snake

Evil???............What is this Evil???

join the ninjutsu club

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:18 AM
NINJ4_BL4D3 is currently offline Click here to Send NINJ4_BL4D3 a Private Message Find more posts by NINJ4_BL4D3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NINJ4_BL4D3
Evil???............What is this Evil???
Something someone disagrees with.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 02:04 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nerevar

Originally posted by Bardock42
I did not miss the point, I guess what you are trying to say is that I actually understood the point, but explained why it is wrong. For one because "good for humanity" is kind of subjective (and when I say "kind of", I mean "totally") and also, because some of the things that are "good for humanity" (subjective) are to most of you not at all moral. Now, for example I would argue that the Holocaust and the second World War were indeed good for humanity, was it good because of that? No.

I have no idea what your talking about...sorry. Im not using the terms 'good' or 'evil' and I dont know why you keep bringing it into the argument.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 07:44 PM
Nerevar is currently offline Click here to Send Nerevar a Private Message Find more posts by Nerevar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nerevar

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

Humanity is a species. That is not subjective. Doing harm(again I define this as 'causing another human pain, or death') to another human is also not subjective.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 07:46 PM
Nerevar is currently offline Click here to Send Nerevar a Private Message Find more posts by Nerevar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Originally posted by Nerevar
Doing harm(again I define this as 'causing another human pain, or death') to another human is also not subjective.

The difference between good and evil can only be weighed in your mind. Things that seem good to you may completely be unacceptable from my point of view. As being the individual that you are and capable of making your own decisions, only you can distinguish the difference.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 08:03 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nerevar

Originally posted by Storm
The difference between good and evil can only be weighed in your mind. Things that seem good to you may completely be unacceptable from my point of view. As being the individual that you are and capable of making your own decisions, only you can distinguish the difference.

Yes I understand that, I agree with you. However....again, I am not using the terms 'good' and 'evil'. Causing someone harm is not an abstract principle, it is concrete reality and therefore objective. Whether the act of causing somone pain is justified or not, that is the subjective part. Though in *most* cases, *most* people would agree that causing somone harm is a bad thing that should be avoided. Regardless, in all cases of a person being harmed, the person is harmed.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 08:27 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Pain is a subjective experience.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 08:38 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nerevar

Originally posted by Storm
Pain is a subjective experience.

Thats an interesting point, Im not sure how pain differs from human to human. But even if it is subjective to the body, it is not subjective to the mind. You cant 'decide' how much pain you feel. Also even if different people experienced pain in different degrees, it is still universally unpleasant and potentially unbearable.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 08:52 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Thats an interesting point, Im not sure how pain differs from human to human. But even if it is subjective to the body, it is not subjective to the mind. You cant 'decide' how much pain you feel. Also even if different people experienced pain in different degrees, it is still universally unpleasant and potentially unbearable.

You can "decide" how much pain you feel. It takes a lot of discipline, but it can be done. Pain is all in your head.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:01 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nerevar

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You can "decide" how much pain you feel. It takes a lot of discipline, but it can be done. Pain is all in your head.

Do you have any pr00f?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:03 PM
Bardock42

Humanity is a species. That is not subjective. Doing harm(again I define this as 'causing another human pain, or death') to another human is also not subjective.

Oh, so you are saying what is causing harm to another human being..is wrong? Do I get you? Why do you say humanity then...also when talking about the species humankind would be more applicable.

I have no idea what your talking about...sorry. Im not using the terms 'good' or 'evil' and I dont know why you keep bringing it into the argument.

Well, i kinda try to bring them up, because, well, that is the topic of the thread.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:06 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nerevar

Oh, so you are saying what is causing harm to another human being..is wrong? Do I get you? Why do you say humanity then...also when talking about the species humankind would be more applicable.

Well, i kinda try to bring them up, because, well, that is the topic of the thread.

1. Thinking about whether the act is wrong or not, is irrelevent to the actual harm being done. You pretending that harming another is justified, that is your opinion. Though the actual harm is not. And I felt like using the word 'humanity'...you have a problem with that>? roll eyes (sarcastic)

2. If you insist on talking about the thread, I already agreed that no one is 'evil'.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:23 PM
Bardock42

1. Thinking about whether the act is wrong or not, is irrelevent to the actual harm being done. You pretending that harming another is justified, that is your opinion. Though the actual harm is not. And I felt like using the word 'humanity'...you have a problem with that>? roll eyes (sarcastic)

2. If you insist on talking about the thread, I already agreed that no one is 'evil'.

You pretending that harm is not justified and/or has to be justified is in no way different. And I don''t have a problem with that except that it was confusing and maybe even wrong in that context, nothing personal.

Okay, do you also agree that nothing is evil?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:25 PM
Nerevar

You pretending that harm is not justified and/or has to be justified is in no way different. And I don''t have a problem with that except that it was confusing and maybe even wrong in that context, nothing personal.

Okay, do you also agree that nothing is evil?

I would argue that the actual harm being done is 'evil', though I hate using that term.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:40 PM
Bardock42

I would argue that the actual harm being done is 'evil', though I hate using that term.

Why evil though? A subjective evil, of course, right?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:46 PM
Nerevar

Why evil though? A subjective evil, of course, right?

"e·vil
adj. e·vil·er, e·vil·est

1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

n.

1. The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
2. That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction: a leader's power to do both good and evil.
3. An evil force, power, or personification.
4. Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction: the social evils of poverty and injustice.

adv. Archaic

In an evil manner."

Going by noun definition of evil #4, pain is evil. The pain is not subjective, it is universally a source of suffering, injury, or destruction.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 09:56 PM
Bardock42

Again pain is subjective...

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 10:27 PM
Nerevar

Again pain is subjective...

Refer to my response to Storm about that.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 10:28 PM