KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » No one is evil.

No one is evil.
Started by: Illuminati

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nerevar
Refer to my response to Storm about that.

Refer to Shakya's reply as well as to people called "masochists" that actually enjoy pain.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 10:34 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nerevar

Originally posted by Bardock42
Refer to Shakya's reply as well as to people called "masochists" that actually enjoy pain.

Shakya didnt provide proof for his claim, and masochists dont 'enjoy' pain, they just have mental problems that causes them to want to inflict it.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 10:50 PM
Nerevar is currently offline Click here to Send Nerevar a Private Message Find more posts by Nerevar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Shakya didnt provide proof for his claim, and masochists dont 'enjoy' pain, they just have mental problems that causes them to want to inflict it.

Not really, they actually enjoy it....and even then...what is the difference?

Why can't I just as well say "normal" people don't hate pain, they just have a mental problem that causes them to want to avoid it?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 10:52 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Give me a little time, I have to find it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 10:53 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nerevar

Not really, they actually enjoy it....and even then...what is the difference?

Why can't I just as well say "normal" people don't hate pain, they just have a mental problem that causes them to want to avoid it?

Because pain is an unpleasant feeling. Period. And masochists dont have this magical ability to 'enjoy' pain, they just like inflicting it on themselves. The feeling doesnt change however. Pain is tolerable at certain levels, though due to its unpleasantness its still universally evil.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 10:59 PM
Nerevar is currently offline Click here to Send Nerevar a Private Message Find more posts by Nerevar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Because pain is an unpleasant feeling. Period. And masochists dont have this magical ability to 'enjoy' pain, they just like inflicting it on themselves. The feeling doesnt change however. Pain is tolerable at certain levels, though due to its unpleasantness its still universally evil.

No it's not. Period. It is to you.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 11:00 PM
Nerevar

No it's not. Period. It is to you.

O RLY?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 11:02 PM
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Humanity is a species. That is not subjective. Doing harm(again I define this as 'causing another human pain, or death') to another human is also not subjective.

'Humanity' is not a species... as Bardock said, a more accurate word would be humankind. And the fact that we cannot even agree on what humanity is makes the statement "harmful to humanity" subjective.

I would even argue that harm is subjective. Something that's harmful to one person may not be to another... Not only that but harm doesn't neccessarily mean explicitly physical harm... If someone stole a bag of food from a wealthy man it would probably not be harmful to him, if someone stole a bag of food from a poor man in poverty it could be fatally harmful to him...

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 03:34 AM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

...is this guy evil?

evil face

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 02:43 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Ed
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Humanity' is not a species... as Bardock said, a more accurate word would be humankind. And the fact that we cannot even agree on what humanity is makes the statement "harmful to humanity" subjective.

Subjective only if you consider humanity from a universal perspective. If you believe in space aliens..then their is only one species on this planet eart...and that species is earthlings....

I would even argue that harm is subjective. Something that's harmful to one person may not be to another... Not only that but harm doesn't neccessarily mean explicitly physical harm... If someone stole a bag of food from a wealthy man it would probably not be harmful to him, if someone stole a bag of food from a poor man in poverty it could be fatally harmful to him...

But if you steal from the poor man, you are not really stealing...because he has nothing to steal because he is poor. So the only person it is really harmful to steal from is the middle income man..because he is always getting screwed by the rich man..and stolen from by the poor man....

That is, of course
Unless the horse
Is the famous Mister Ed!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 07:56 PM
Mr Ed is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Ed a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Ed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Mr Ed
Subjective only if you consider humanity from a universal perspective. If you believe in space aliens..then their is only one species on this planet eart...and that species is earthlings....

But if you steal from the poor man, you are not really stealing...because he has nothing to steal because he is poor. So the only person it is really harmful to steal from is the middle income man..because he is always getting screwed by the rich man..and stolen from by the poor man....

Your logic is strange. confused

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 08:06 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Ed
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Your logic is strange. confused

What is strange? To you I may be strange..but to others I may not be strange. You are arguing using emotionalism...instead of intellectuallism, and the only thing strange is on relative to your emoticons...not your intellecticons..

That is, of course
Unless the horse
Is the famous Mister Ed!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 08:22 PM
Mr Ed is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Ed a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Ed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Mr Ed
What is strange? To you I may be strange..but to others I may not be strange. You are arguing using emotionalism...instead of intellectuallism, and the only thing strange is on relative to your emoticons...not your intellecticons..

I am not arguing. I never said you were wrong, just that the way you look at things is strange. Is strange bad to you?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 08:36 PM
Great Vengeance

'Humanity' is not a species... as Bardock said, a more accurate word would be humankind. And the fact that we cannot even agree on what humanity is makes the statement "harmful to humanity" subjective.

1. Perhaps I should broaden my scope then, I sort of agree that I was being egocentric when I was just talking about only humans. Harm to any being capable of being harmed, is evil.

2. No... I think your getting confused here. Stealing a bag of food from a poor man isnt harm in of itself, its just a cause... leading to the effect of hunger, which is pain.

Last edited by Great Vengeance on Aug 10th, 2006 at 01:34 AM

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 01:30 AM
Great Vengeance is currently offline Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Hmm... isn't that kind of like saying shooting someone in the chest isn't harm itself, just a cause, which leads to cardiac arrest which is harmful and likely to be fatal?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 09:59 PM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Great Vengeance

Hmm... isn't that kind of like saying shooting someone in the chest isn't harm itself, just a cause, which leads to cardiac arrest which is harmful and likely to be fatal?

No, because getting shot in the chest would harm you a great deal.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 02:28 AM
Great Vengeance is currently offline Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

As would someone taking your only supply of food... indirectly. Just as shooting someone is harming them only indirectly. The fact that you pointed the gun at them and pulled the trigger isn't the problem, it's what results from doing so... Except for the fact that the harm is felt more quickly from being shot, I don't see the difference. In the end, they are both harmful situations...

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 02:50 AM
Great Vengeance

As would someone taking your only supply of food... indirectly. Just as shooting someone is harming them only indirectly. The fact that you pointed the gun at them and pulled the trigger isn't the problem, it's what results from doing so... Except for the fact that the harm is felt more quickly from being shot, I don't see the difference. In the end, they are both harmful situations...

Taking a supply of food is indirect like you said. To call that harm, would be like saying being born is harm, because your birth was the necessary event for all the harm in your life. Getting shot in the chest however, is direct harm. It will cause you massive pain, which I have argued is evil.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 02:55 AM
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Being born may be a necessary event for harm, but it is not the responsible event as depriving someone of food would be... I can see where you're coming from though.

On your last point, though, I disagree... If the cause of any pain is evil, then the act of giving birth would be evil... which is more than a tad bit absurd.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 03:54 AM
Great Vengeance

Being born may be a necessary event for harm, but it is not the responsible event as depriving someone of food would be... I can see where you're coming from though.

On your last point, though, I disagree... If the cause of any pain is evil, then the act of giving birth would be evil... which is more than a tad bit absurd.

1. It would be indirectly responsible. I suppose you could argue that taking the bag of food would be 'directly responsible' though the point remains that no direct harm is being done in any case.

2. Maybe thats where your getting confused...Im not arguing that the cause of pain is evil, Im arguing that the pain itself is evil. Arguing whether the causing of pain is evil or not would be subjective, because you can justify anything from your own point of view. However...the actual pain isnt open to interpretation, it is simply evil.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 04:05 AM