KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » The Omniverse, (the structure of all Comic Universes)

The Omniverse, (the structure of all Comic Universes)
Started by: Horrificus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Horrificus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
There aren't really many Roma-based stories per se. She basically assumed Merlin's mantle when he "died" and has henceforth been referred to as the Omniversal Guardian. I don't think she's appeared in any crossovers so I would assume the latter, i.e. that her task is to overlook the Marvelverse, so I suppose her title is a bit of a misnoma.

I agree with you 100%.

It has just been hard to get anybody else to see that.

She is NOT in charge of the Omniverse.

From what I have read in articles, interviews and on-panel, she is a guardian of Universes that have a "Captain UK". This is due to the connection she has with them and their powers.

And, even these universes are still within the 1 Marvel Multiverse that contains 616.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 03:21 PM
Horrificus is currently offline Click here to Send Horrificus a Private Message Find more posts by Horrificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

The thing is ...
In the first DC vs Marvel comics (namely #1) the Omniverse was every reality, all fictional, all that we could, couldent think of and yes even our own.

Then they had to retcon in, to just Amalgam, DC and Marvel.

Then Marvel took the title for itself, and named their:
Multi-verse --> Mega-verse --> Omni-verse.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 05:17 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

megaverse was a better description and would have prevented the confusion we have.

roma was also killed by abraxas, wasn't she? role does not equate to power, necessarily.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 05:22 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by leonidas
roma was also killed by abraxas, wasn't she?

Yes............. Yes she was.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 05:25 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

You correctly interpreted my diagrams (Though the fact that they NEEDED to be interpreted troubles me... Maybe I should be more detailed.)

It was trying to edit your chart, but it's so blurred I couldn't just do the paint-Bucket job i'd hoped to, so I'll maybe try to make a chart that has the kindof "Overhead" View of yours.

I think that your being innaccurat in dipicting different "Oblivion/Anchor" vortex's. I think there's only one.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 12:15 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Green Arrow

Originally posted by darthgoober
So the companies each have their own omniverse, independent of one each other, until they acknowledge that they will abide by the others decisions regardin the omniverse.

I agree with this and will expand on it. Infinity is nothing new to concepts such as this. These omniverses are constantly expanding with new comics and new stories. Evidently they are seperate. But in time, it could be possible for them to "clash" and become as one. (Such as if the companies merge or something.)

But untill then, they are seperate.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 02:30 AM
Green Arrow is currently offline Click here to Send Green Arrow a Private Message Find more posts by Green Arrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

Originally posted by King Kandy
You correctly interpreted my diagrams (Though the fact that they NEEDED to be interpreted troubles me... Maybe I should be more detailed.)

It was trying to edit your chart, but it's so blurred I couldn't just do the paint-Bucket job i'd hoped to, so I'll maybe try to make a chart that has the kindof "Overhead" View of yours.

I think that your being innaccurat in dipicting different "Oblivion/Anchor" vortex's. I think there's only one.

No, they were fine. The only reason there was need of interpretation, is because my idea for doing this, was so that the folks who had a little more trouble grasping everything, would be able to see it clearly.
I may be totally wrong.
But, to me, it needed no interpretation, and was fine.

When I have time, I will do a cleaner job on the maps with one of my other programs. But, hopefully I got the idea across with what I threw together.

I thinkyour dipiction of the Oblivion/Anchor phenomenon was right on the money.
I was just trying to see how it might look from a distance, within a Multiverse. It was just an idea. But, your image was very clean.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 02:43 AM
Horrificus is currently offline Click here to Send Horrificus a Private Message Find more posts by Horrificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

Originally posted by Green Arrow
I agree with this and will expand on it. Infinity is nothing new to concepts such as this. These omniverses are constantly expanding with new comics and new stories. Evidently they are seperate. But in time, it could be possible for them to "clash" and become as one. (Such as if the companies merge or something.)

But untill then, they are seperate.

In the DC/Marvel crossovers so far, the situation was described as being 2 Multiverses. It was explained that there was a lot of difficulty in travelling from 1 Multiverse to another, even within the same Omniverse.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 02:45 AM
King Kandy

Originally posted by Horrificus
No, they were fine. The only reason there was need of interpretation, is because my idea for doing this, was so that the folks who had a little more trouble grasping everything, would be able to see it clearly.
I may be totally wrong.
But, to me, it needed no interpretation, and was fine.

When I have time, I will do a cleaner job on the maps with one of my other programs. But, hopefully I got the idea across with what I threw together.

I thinkyour dipiction of the Oblivion/Anchor phenomenon was right on the money.
I was just trying to see how it might look from a distance, within a Multiverse. It was just an idea. But, your image was very clean.

No, I'm saying that there's only one, and all existence in "Normal Space" is in it. There isn't one for each Multiverse.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 04:13 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

Originally posted by King Kandy
No, I'm saying that there's only one, and all existence in "Normal Space" is in it. There isn't one for each Multiverse.
If that was true, we are saying that it is specific to the Marvel Multiverse.

That would mean that:

1. It surrounds the outside of the Marvel Multiverse, and yanks the universes through some kind of tear in space,within the Multiverse.

2. The same thing, except it is pulling them through a kind of hole in the Multiversal boundry.

3. Or, the panels and statements in the story line were mostly symbolic, and what is really happening is the Oblivion Phenomenon is actually a kind of breakdown of reality within the entire Multiverse, that is held at bay by the Anchor phenomenon.

Unfortunately, I would wager that a lot of the stuff we see in the High-Cosmic stories is "symbolism".

Think about it. How many stories have you read that resulted in the end of the or a universe? They sure were not drawn, described or executed in the same ways in each book. Each writer is going to see the events in a different way, and they have.

How would you describe the event?

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 05:04 PM
King Kandy

There's only two things in marvel. Beyond Space, and Normal Space.

Now here's where you need to pay attention.

IF SOMETHING IS NOT IN THE BEYOND REALM, THEN IT'S IN THE VORTEX!

There's only one continuum, and in it is two sectors. Oblivion, and Creation(For lack of a better term.)

Creation is all matter, Energy, Space, Time, Reality, stuff like that.

And Oblivion is a field which rips all of that apart into nothingness.

Oblivion doesn't have Gravity, but rather pulls things in because it is it's nature to pull things in. But for every Unit of force it exerts, Anchors exert equal force to keep the Universe's in place. But when an anchor is old and weak, he can't exert as much force, and Oblivion slowely pulls in that anchors reality. If a replacement can be found, the universe can be re-attached to Creation before too much damage is done.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2006 04:13 AM
King Kandy

bump.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2006 11:16 PM
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

Originally posted by darthgoober
I hate to be the one to point this out, but DC and Marvel don't share an omniverse. I know it doesn't really make sense because the omniverse is supposed to be EVERYTHING, but the companies are completely separate in and of themselves. Otherwise, the Chaos Wave(which was stated to be an omniversal threat) would have been a threat to DC also. Think about it, if the companies shared an omniverse, that would mean that the Chaos Wave(which was an omniversal threat) would have been beyond the power of TOAA to stop. Think of it like this, if Marvel had decided to shut down and close the company, and their method of doing this was to leave the Chaos Wave unchecked and have it destroy the entire omniverse on-panel, would that mean that DC would have to shut down too since all of their characters were destroyed?

By the same token, since Pre Recton Beyonder was stated to be everything outside of Marvel's multiverse, that would mean that he was composed of everything in DC also(including the Source). So for events like The Secret Wars & Secret Wars 2, DC shouldn't have been able to produce any of their own books, because all of the beings in DC were messing around in Marvel.

So the companies each have their own omniverse, independent of one each other, until they acknowledge that they will abide by the others decisions regardin the omniverse.

1 The Chaos Wave was stated to POTENTIALLY be an omniversal threat, thats if it was allowed to run rampant. It wasnt. It was in the end stopped by a band of mutants. For all the hyperbole the wave never affected anything but Otherworld, a marvel universe, just like DC omniversal threats only ever affect something in DC. Why? Because unless its made a crossover no company specific story can affect the properties of another company. Referring to something as omniversal threat is just a way of upping the ante, of portraying a greater potential threat than whats come before, thats all. The fact that a threat can be said to be omniversal is not proof enough that they have separate omniverses. That contradicts the very meaning of the word.

The fact that by canon DC exists as Marvel is concerned and vice versa tells you they are a part of the same omniverse yet from different multiverses.

Pre retcon Beyonder was never said to comprise all that existed outside of the Marvel multiverse. That was an interpretation some people got from an ambiguous statement, where he says he was everything from Beyond, forgetting to acknowledge how he said ealier many a time he was everything from the Beyond Realm, the fact that the first issue of Secret Wars 2 said he was all within a universe outside of the Marvel multiverse and the fact that the handbooks during that Pre retcon period stated him to be all within an other dimensional universe.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2006 07:35 PM
GalacticStorm is currently offline Click here to Send GalacticStorm a Private Message Find more posts by GalacticStorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by GalacticStorm
1 The Chaos Wave was stated to POTENTIALLY be an omniversal threat, thats if it was allowed to run rampant. It wasnt. It was in the end stopped by a band of mutants. For all the hyperbole the wave never affected anything but Otherworld, a marvel universe, just like DC omniversal threats only ever affect something in DC. Why? Because unless its made a crossover no company specific story can affect the properties of another company. Referring to something as omniversal threat is just a way of upping the ante, of portraying a greater potential threat than whats come before, thats all. The fact that a threat can be said to be omniversal is not proof enough that they have separate omniverses. That contradicts the very meaning of the word.

The fact that by canon DC exists as Marvel is concerned and vice versa tells you they are a part of the same omniverse yet from different multiverses.

Pre retcon Beyonder was never said to comprise all that existed outside of the Marvel multiverse. That was an interpretation some people got from an ambiguous statement, where he says he was everything from Beyond, forgetting to acknowledge how he said ealier many a time he was everything from the Beyond Realm, the fact that the first issue of Secret Wars 2 said he was all within a universe outside of the Marvel multiverse and the fact that the handbooks during that Pre retcon period stated him to be all within an other dimensional universe.

I seriously don't see why this is so hard to accept. Who cares if it's seems impossible for there to be two separate omniverse's? We're talking about comics. It's also seems impossible by our standards for someone to be able to lift a building over his head, but that kind of things happens in comics ALL THE TIME. Real world physics don't come into play within a comicbook unless the writer wants them to. Period. As soon as Marvel started throwing the word omniverse around(or implications of an omniversal threat), it severed any omniversal ties with DC(assuming that they actually had them in the first place). That's just the way it is.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2006 08:56 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Master

Originally posted by GalacticStorm
For all the hyperbole the wave never affected anything but Otherworld, a marvel universe,

The Chaos Wave took down COUNTLESS UNIVERSES, but don't expect to here that from this person:

"Your Dimension is a Cancer, bringing DEVASTATION to BRANES (Universes) ALL ALONG the SIDEREAL STRING"

(please log in to view the image)

"Sparing Yours condemns the REST"

The rest of this post, need not be addressed.

laughing

Old Post Dec 4th, 2006 09:42 PM
Mr Master is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Master a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

It's been a while since we splashed around in THIS mess! wink

I'm curious to see if there are any new interpretations, or canonical changes made in the books out there.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 05:18 AM
mr.enigma

could darthgoober and mr. master just leave this fourm is obvious the don't want to be in this conversation and no one want them in the conversation. stick out tongue I'm almost positive that either of them is GamorasBigDaddy from comicvine, because honest to god this is what they post "I got more proof/scans to come." lol

Last edited by mr.enigma on Oct 30th, 2012 at 05:13 AM

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 05:00 AM
mr.enigma is currently offline Click here to Send mr.enigma a Private Message Find more posts by mr.enigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.enigma

Also the defintion of the omniverse could be found in The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe 2004 which says "the omniverse is the collection of every single universe, multiverse, dimension (alternate or pocket) and realm. This includes not only Marvel Comics, but also DC Comics, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, TMNT, Harvey, and every universe ever mentioned or seen (and an infinite amount never mentioned or seen) including our own world. Everything is in the Omniverse, and there is only one Omniverse." big grin Plus It includes every single literary, television show, movie, urban legend, universe, realm, etc. ever.

Last edited by mr.enigma on Oct 30th, 2012 at 05:06 AM

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 05:03 AM
mr.enigma is currently offline Click here to Send mr.enigma a Private Message Find more posts by mr.enigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by mr.enigma
Also the defintion of the omniverse could be found in The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe 2004 which says "the omniverse is the collection of every single universe, multiverse, dimension (alternate or pocket) and realm. This includes not only Marvel Comics, but also DC Comics, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, TMNT, Harvey, and every universe ever mentioned or seen (and an infinite amount never mentioned or seen) including our own world. Everything is in the Omniverse, and there is only one Omniverse." big grin Plus It includes every single literary, television show, movie, urban legend, universe, realm, etc. ever.
This is what I thought. The Omniverse is the 'real universe' which includes all the comic multiverses. But getting all the companies to agree to this is a whole other matter, especially with intercompany rivalry and one-upmanship driven by who can outsell who. Ie, the Fantastic Four saving the multiverse simply can't compare to Superman saving the omniverse.

A truly integrated Omniverse would be damn cool, but in reality, it's all secondary to the real final reality: $$$.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 02:29 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.enigma

Originally posted by Mindship
This is what I thought. The Omniverse is the 'real universe' which includes all the comic multiverses. But getting all the companies to agree to this is a whole other matter, especially with intercompany rivalry and one-upmanship driven by who can outsell who. Ie, the Fantastic Four saving the multiverse simply can't compare to Superman saving the omniverse.

A truly integrated Omniverse would be damn cool, but in reality, it's all secondary to the real final reality: $$$.
Yeah it sucks how greedy companies could be if only they really cared about the fans. Then we could of had the marvel movies in one universe and so on.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 11:01 PM