KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Blu-ray Format Discussion

In 10 years, which format will win, if any?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Blu Ray 20 62.50%
HD-DVD 8 25.00%
Hard Drive Storage/Streaming Video 4 12.50%
Total: 32 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blu-ray Format Discussion
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

If Blue ray wins what will happen to the movies on HD ?

Old Post Nov 9th, 2007 12:07 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
If Blue ray wins what will happen to the movies on HD ?

Ever heard of 8 tracks? My first car had an 8 track player in it and I borrowed my grandmothers copy of some Bill Cosby and laughed my ass off on the way to work for a few days...lol....good times...good times.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2007 07:40 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/11757.cfm

Blockbuster hopes to compete with Netflix by not competing with Netflix
10 November 2007 15:35 by vurbal

Earlier this week Blockbuster CEO Jim Keyes announced a new focus for the company. Ironically, the new focus is on the company's old brick and mortar rentail business.

Keyes spoke about the company's Total Access plan, which this year made Blockbuster the first company to ever seriously compete with Netflix in online rentals. "The concept of Total Access—brilliant. The execution of Total Access left a little to be desired," Keyes said. He was referring to the fact that despite being a success in terms of attracting subscribers, so far the program has failed to turn a profit. In fact, according to Keyes the program has cannibalized Blockbuster's in-store customer base.

"We've decided that instead of a horizontal shift [to mail], we think there might be more of a vertical opportunity to move customers across channels so that store customers don't have to only move to digital or by mail," he said. "The ability to transform these customers and allow them to have different use occasions and sources of access, we think is a more relative model for us and will be the more likely migration path over the next few years."

One of the methods Blockbuster intends to use for their digital delivery plans is the newly acquired Movielink download service. Blockbuster bought Movielink earlier this year in an apparent attempt to compete with the Watch Instantly feature debuted by Netflix earlier this year. The purchase gives Blockbuster access to what Keyes calls the "largest amount of digital title rights in the marketplace today."

However isn't in a hurry to implement the new technology though, telling analysts "Let's very carefully explore and continue to penetrate a digital model but not prematurely."

Old Post Nov 10th, 2007 11:09 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

ok people, you gotta think PIRACY!!!!! sure, the only things normal blue rays are good for is having the data space for the HUGE ps-3 games. or the space for h-d movies{which dont fit on normal dvds}. but that isnt the fun part.

its PIRACY which will benefit the most. imagine, you can have hundreds of hours of low quality or mp-3 quality movies'series etc.{they do that u know, decrease the quality a bit, take out 5.1 channels/special feature etc etc. and can fit in around 12 -13 hours of movie on a single dvd. i shud know, i only really get those pirated ones where i live smile } on a single dvd. also, consider that if you have a blue ray writer, you can store hundreds of episodes of series/anime etc that you have downloaded online with a high speed broadband. will make it cheeper for people who cant buy all those expensive external harddrives.

basically, yay for me, as long as i am able to affprd a 1-2 mbp/s , unlimited broadband connection{hope its soon}. lol

Old Post Nov 12th, 2007 12:27 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Well! MS just threw gasoline into the fire.

quote:
Xbox 360 HD DVD Player Drops to $130
Wed Dec 5, 2007 12:00AM EST

Some deals are just too good to pass up during the holiday season, especially when prices on Blu-ray and HD DVD players keep dropping as the format war drags on.

Gizmodo says the Xbox 360 HD DVD player is selling for $130 at places like Amazon and Toys R Us. That's the lowest price I've seen on a HD DVD player this month. You really can't go wrong buying one for that price, especially when it includes the "King Kong" HD-DVD and a mail-in offer that qualifies you for five free HD-DVDs. I've had mine for a year and have been very happy with it.

If you don't have an Xbox 360 or a PlayStation 3 but want to enjoy high-definition movies on your HDTV, check out the Venturer High-Definition DVD player Ben wrote about a few months ago. The player is still selling for for $189.98 over at Wal-Mart.

If you're still on the fence regarding the transition to high-definition DVD players, this would be an excellent time to make your move.

Other Sources: http://www.betanews.com/article/Mic...ddon/1196869845

Five free movies and the player for my 360? I hope this deal last. Because this is something I would get.

Damn! I didn't want to join either camp. But now...this is looking more favorable for the HD DVD people. sad

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Dec 6th, 2007 at 07:12 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2007 07:05 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

It looks like Blu Ray held its own following black Friday.

Blu-Ray seems to be controlling the market...but can't quite edge out HD DVD. However, the following article seems a bit one sided, IMO.

http://www.videobusiness.com/articl...ndustryid=47215

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 05:49 AM
coolmovies

Warner Bros have Joined Blue ray !!!!!!!!

Press Release from Warner Home Video:

(January 4, 2008 – Burbank, CA) – In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

“Warner Bros.’ move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want,” said Meyer. “The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers.”

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

“Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices,” said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. “Today’s decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner.”

“A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry,” said Tsujihara. “Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future.”

Update
Toshiba has issued a brief press release in response to Warner Home Video's decision to exclusively support the Blu-ray format beginning in May. Expect more reactions and news over the next several days with the Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2008) coming up next week.

Press Release from Toshiba:

(January 4, 2008 - Tokyo, Japan) Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

News by Matt Joseph

From http://www.dvdactive.com/news/relea...r-goes-blu.html

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 05:27 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

HD/Blue ray combo player

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 08:56 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Keep in mind that if regular DVD's outsell more than Blu-ray. WB will end up dropping Blu-ray. So Blu-ray better deliever for the WB. Otherwise...WB gets scare easily.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 10:37 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I honestly hope this gadget puts an end to the lame Blu-ray/ HD DVD war.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 10:38 PM
coolmovies

I hope so too

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 11:25 AM
coolmovies

Snow white and the seven dawafs willl be out on blue ray next year

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 09:53 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Whatever happens, I don't want my current DVD's to become useless, like my laserdisc collection.
I only bought my Samsung HDTV & upconverting player two years ago - I want to get value for it before I have to change over. Until there's one format, I can sit it out & wait.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 14th, 2008 03:46 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbucket
Oddball Odd

10 years? In 10 years I expect movies to be broadcast directly into my brain by way of a telepathic device capable of over 10,000p.

Well...maybe 15.

La Paila de Muerte has spoken

Old Post Jan 14th, 2008 09:02 PM
deathbucket is currently offline Click here to Send deathbucket a Private Message Find more posts by deathbucket Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pottyboy

HD DVD PLAYER

I jumped on the HD DVD bandwagon days before Xmas. Amazon was running a deal on the Toshiba A30 for around $250 with 10 free titles! Kind of regretting my decision now!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2008 01:46 AM
pottyboy is currently offline Click here to Send pottyboy a Private Message Find more posts by pottyboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BoondockSaint

I accompanied my parents to help them with purchasing an HDTV and they were sold into buying the the Dual HD-DVD and Blu-Ray player from LG (BH100 model) at Best Buy which cost them a cool $1000! It worked great until we popped in the Spiderman 3 Blu-ray and it did not work!
The problem was it needed to be updated (we just bought the damn thing). This consisted of calling the number on the back of the model and waiting on customer service to get an update-disc (4 week delivery timeline).

Lesson learned? Don't purchase the Dual player. I'd stick with the Blu-ray.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2008 07:34 PM
BoondockSaint is currently offline Click here to Send BoondockSaint a Private Message Find more posts by BoondockSaint Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I heard today that Toshiba is going to give all their HD DVD players another price cut. Cheapers is better.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2008 01:44 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Old Post Jan 16th, 2008 01:49 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

I watched a bond movie yeturday 'You only live twice' and i could see grains and lines in the movie . I know its a old movie but i dont think films like these will benefit from HD ?

Old Post Jan 21st, 2008 05:16 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
I watched a bond movie yeturday 'You only live twice' and i could see grains and lines in the movie . I know its a old movie but i dont think films like these will benefit from HD ?

Not as much. That's what people aren't thinking about - this is about getting us to buy recent films & the just released, to take advantage of the tech. There's only so much they can do for films a few decades old or more. Can they really improve upon what the best standard DVD can do?

What I want to see in the future - the oldest B&W films COMPLETELY restored. No scratches on the frames, no hiss from the soundtrack.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 21st, 2008 07:31 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote