KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » What's So Bad About Hudlin? Really?

What's So Bad About Hudlin? Really?
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (47): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Just read the latest BP issue in the Scans thread, and all I can say is...WTF?!?

How can Hudlin say that Tigra has never met T'Challa?!? For Christ's sake they were both avengers!?!?

That and notice, besides Sue the only heroes who talked to T'Challa were black...big surprise there eh roll eyes (sarcastic)

Along with more racist crap and some of the worst dialogue I've ever read ("I could have crushed you're head like a grapenut"?!?), this book gets worse and worse with every issue

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:01 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Grimm22
Just read the latest BP issue in the Scans thread, and all I can say is...WTF?!?

How can Hudlin say that Tigra has never met T'Chlla?!? For christ's sake they were both avengers!?!?

That and notice, besides Sue the only hereos who talked to T'Challa were black...big suprise there eh roll eyes (sarcastic)

Along with more racist crap and some of the worst dialouge i've ever read ("I could have crushed you're head like a grapenut"?!?), this book gets worse and worse with every issue

Grapenut ?

Grape-fruit I could understand...but Grape-nut ? WTF !

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:02 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Grimm22
"I could have crushed you're head like a grapenut"

Quite seriously I have met retarded people that could write a better analogy than that.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:04 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Anyone see this yet?

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magaz...d/003180036.cfm

Going cosmic in a big way? What next Storm and Tchalla...make Galactus bow?

Just for the record...it looks like Storms going to get her ass handed to her....T'challa will save the day with his "Motherbox" equivalent.

It may be a lot of crap writing...but if/when Storm is annihilated at least we can say there's still hope for himm after all...I guess...

Last edited by ExodusCloak on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 10:37 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:24 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Anyone see this yet?

Going cosmic in a big way? What next Storm and Tchalla...make Galactus bow?

Just for the record...it looks like Storms going to get her ass handed to her....T'challa will save the day with his "Motherbox" equivalent.

There's hope after all...I guess...

wow, that wouldn't be too bad then... other than the "motherbox equivalent" (I think priest introduced it anyways).

The cosmic thing might even work out. It would be harder for Hudlin to make all the blatant racial stereotypes for cosmic characters...

I really can't see Surfer or Drax being overly concerned with the colour of BP's skin...

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:36 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Originally posted by inamilist
wow, that wouldn't be too bad then... other than the "motherbox equivalent" (I think priest introduced it anyways).

The cosmic thing might even work out. It would be harder for Hudlin to make all the blatant racial stereotypes for cosmic characters...

I really can't see Surfer or Drax being overly concerned with the colour of BP's skin...

I guess, but then there's still the whole issue of him one-shotting cosmics...and Wakanda having greator technology then the Shiar Empire.

Plus I have this...awful feeling that they'll be an Emma/Storm confrontation later on in his series.
How long does he intend to stay at Marvel for anyway?(If it happens it should happen in the New X-Men book)

Last edited by ExodusCloak on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:38 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I guess, but then there's still the whole issue of him one-shotting cosmics...and Wakanda having greator technology then the imperial guard....

lol, well, yes, there is still that...

baby steps?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:40 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

No it wouldn't.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:40 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

lol, well, yes, there is still that...

baby steps?

Pretty much...if it's any consolation I believe that Marvel have set limits on his "creativity". For example the "Possible Omega Mutant" comment. Therefore he can only go so far...

Last edited by ExodusCloak on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:45 PM
tsilamini

Pretty much...if it's any consolation I believe that Marvel have set limits on his "creativity". For example the "Possible Omega Mutant" comment. Therefore he can only go so far...

hopefully

I'm sure they have had to do something. There has been a pretty strong reaction against his writing, at least on this forum. If that represents the normal readership even remotely it cannot be positive for the company. Any clue what BPs sales are like right now?

Anyways, as far as I am concerned, Marvel should have dropped him the minute he started bashing other writers on the internet. Some integrity should be mandatory for his position, imho.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 10:55 PM
ExodusCloak

True...

Anyone have a better site to get a list of comic book sales?

All I can find is this...and I find it very hard to believe that BP sales just doubled when there has been such a negative backlash towards his writing and the manner in which he carries himself. Can controversy really sell a product? erm

March 2006
http://www.newsarama.com/marketreport/mar06charts.html

April 2006
http://www.newsarama.com/marketreport/apr06charts.html

December 2006
http://www.newsarama.com/marketreport/dec06charts.html

Last edited by ExodusCloak on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 11:28 PM
tsilamini

Wow... thats a huge jump for Dec...

I think that probably would have been a Civil War tie in, but even 28000 people is a lot... In April it was ahead of Nextwave, Spawn and Cable/Deadpool...

Thats messed up...

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 11:33 PM
Smurph
------

Don't kid yourself.

We all know that Galactus only eats the planets that have black guys on it.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 11:46 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Anyone see this yet?

Hudlin sounds reasonable and intelligent in the interview. So why does he make a hash of things when the time comes to dialogue those pages? confused

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 12:11 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Originally posted by roughrider
Hudlin sounds reasonable and intelligent in the interview. So why does he make a hash of things when the time comes to dialogue those pages? confused

Oh please. I refuse to believe the man behind BET wrote those things. He probably had a ghost-writer...

stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 12:12 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Here's another point I'd like to highlight...can someone please explain the goal he's trying to achieve with all the racial undertones and in some cases overtones precident in the series?
As many of you said before racism is an issue that should be addressed in comics...but it should be done in a tasteful manner. The impression I get from his writing is that he is trying to fuel it rather then reach the inevitable conclusion that a person shouldn't be judged by the colour of their skin, race, genetic make-up etc...

That or we go with Draco's suggestion about the Ghost Writer...

But in all honesty I think the word reasonable only applies to this interview...he has made some outrageous comments concerning other writers in his previous interviews. And his sock account fiasco...doesn't help his case in the slightest.

Clor just destroyed the Wakandan Embassay...? Just noticed that now. Tony, She-Hulk and Black Panther standing together and look shocked. Clor gone rogue possibly?

Last edited by ExodusCloak on Feb 4th, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 12:17 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Draco69
Oh please. I refuse to believe the man behind BET wrote those things. He probably had a ghost-writer...

stick out tongue

Actually, he only recently became president of BET. Before that, he's satirized their programming through shows like 'The Boondocks', which makes fun of many aspects of African-American culture.
Does this mean his sensibilities have undergone a flip-flop, since he started writing BP?

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 12:54 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Actually, he only recently became president of BET. Before that, he's satirized their programming through shows like 'The Boondocks', which makes fun of many aspects of African-American culture.

Did he write for TheBoondocks?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 01:06 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Did he write for TheBoondocks?

He was the head producer, working closely with creator Aaron McGruder from the first attempted pilot for Fox, to the eventual series on Cartoon Network. The content and language was always the big challenge.
Everytime BET is on in the Freeman's house, it's gyrating booties with hip-hop like 'Thuggin' love' and the like; never anything else. laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 01:29 AM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

One of my friends love Boondocks....and while I myself dont watch it, its not a bad show. So either he did something right once, or he wasnt all that into the project (its more about blacks making fun of blacks) laughing out loud

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 01:34 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote