KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » What's So Bad About Hudlin? Really?

What's So Bad About Hudlin? Really?
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (47): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Vicious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Draco69
I guess. But doesn't it take place in Wakanda, Africa. Isn't the majority of the population black, anyway?

If it is in Wakanda I understand but the last couple of issues take place in the states and yet nothing has changed.

I just researched him. He's the flippin' president of BET and he directed House Party?

This sure explains a lot! I wonder how long until BP takes off his mask to reveal a 2 feet flat top!

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 03:39 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rhinoceros
PM me for nudes ;)

Originally posted by xmarksthespot

I'm sure he'd make Magneto invade Wakanda, pull up a heap of metal and form it into a big cross. Then have Pyro set it on fire.

.... And then have BP one shot him and say something like "Hah, once a nazi always a nazi!" (I'm well aware that Magneto isn't part of the nazis and is in a matter of fact a Jew, but I'm sure Hudlin doesn't know that)

"Don't you know who I am? He must not know who I am! I'm The Ju.. Eh, Rhino! B*tch!"

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 03:42 PM
Rhinoceros is currently offline Click here to Send Rhinoceros a Private Message Find more posts by Rhinoceros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Accel

laughing out loud I just finished reading Darkcrawler's thread that was posted earlier.

(please log in to view the image)

I just now saw that I somehow deleted that link in my first post. I must have done something wrong when I edited it, but here it is again.

http://herochat.com/forum/index.php/topic,127072.0.html

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 03:57 PM
Accel is currently offline Click here to Send Accel a Private Message Find more posts by Accel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I don't particularly see anything wrong with the issue of race being addressed in comics; but if it's going to be done it should be done well and done intelligently, not in a hamfisted simplistic manner.

Thats what bugs me the most about Hudlin. Clearly, he feels that he needs to make a racially compelling book, but at the same time is making it no more complex than political bumperstickers.

It could be a much more intelligent work without even changing its philosophy. There are real issues of race that do affect people daily. Why not tackle these issues with the character, rather then trying to paint already established characters as 2 dimensional racial stereotypes?

stick out tongue

Adventures into Fear 12, written in 72:

http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/9048/01wk7.jpg
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6545/02ys3.jpg
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9592/03ls0.jpg
http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/4583/04at2.jpg

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 04:07 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Edit: Oh wait, you're just shamelessly promoting Man Thing. That's okay.
Originally posted by Jyppe
.... And then have BP one shot him and say something like "Hah, once a nazi always a nazi!" (I'm well aware that Magneto isn't part of the nazis and is in a matter of fact a Jew, but I'm sure Hudlin doesn't know that)
Probably. Then a month later, he'll be told that Pyro has been dead for half a decade and that Magneto is actually a Jewish Holocaust survivor. To which he'll respond with something like "That was a different Magneto and Pyro. They were new characters with the same name." and not butchered botched established characters.

Last edited by xmarksthespot on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 04:13 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 04:08 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I just researched him. He's the flippin' president of BET and he directed House Party?

Why the hell would Marvel hire his ass???

It's been trendy for years now, for people from Movies/TV/Novels to take stints in comics. It's a hot thing, with all the comic movies coming out I suppose.
The best thing you can say is, his name brings in more readers. But maybe John Singleton or Spike Lee should take over from him when he's done, and put some things back right.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 06:33 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Edit: Oh wait, you're just shamelessly promoting Man Thing. That's okay.

ouch

at least I thought I was making a point stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 06:38 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

I think you were. That was excellent writing. Some of the best on the subject I've seen. Was Man-thing originally a character who was put into racially charged situations? Or did someone just come up with the idea?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 07:24 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

LOL, I guess to be honest, it was more of a shameless promotion of Steve Gerber, who wrote the first run of Man-Thing. It normally was a more fantasy based book, but Gerber was able to tie interesting social commentary into the book frequently.

Later issues talk about Vietnam and similar societal issues, and normally he is, if not evenhanded, very provocative. Like, nothing he said in that above scene was revolutionary with regards to race, but at least it is complicated enough that it gives you something to consider.

Blah, ya, anyways

booo Hudlin! *tries to hide in the angry mob*

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 08:47 PM
NiņoAraņa
Bang Bang

weird...where did all the Hudlin supporters go?

Sigs W/L/T 1/6/0 AMC

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 08:52 PM
NiņoAraņa is currently offline Click here to Send NiņoAraņa a Private Message Find more posts by NiņoAraņa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beta Ray Howard
Restricted

Account Restricted

Back to his forum where they can call us all racists.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 08:56 PM
Beta Ray Howard is currently offline Click here to Send Beta Ray Howard a Private Message Find more posts by Beta Ray Howard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Hmm could I get a link to this site of Hudlins

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:04 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:05 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Originally posted by manjaro
not a damn thing is wrong with hudlin, he only made one mistake of slightly revising BP origin when it wasnt really necessary...and the fact that BP developed such a proactive personality over night..thats pretty much it. also you could throw in the way that on his diplomatic tour he has been getting into fights with everybody, and storm keeps running her mouth up to prove to everyone that she's not just some hair head trophy wife...

but still i think he's a fine writer...i dont give a f **** what any body says, black panther is a black guy who is monarch of his own f ****ing country so what if some of his decisions, and cuases he chooses to take up are a little afro centric...so i think ppl should just lay off the man[grimm22] sure hudlin could tone down on making white men in high power looking so evil and diabolical[sarcasm], but i think that other than the few hiccups from when he just started penning BP, his run has been awesome since then

I have at least more than 100 comics with Dr. Doom in them and not once, not once, has Doom been racist.

So then suddenly some dumbass who knows nothing about the character walks in and decides to retcon the best villain EVER, just so that he can think of him more as a villain, despite it being completely against the character and common sense in general no expression

That and the fact that Hudlin is clearly, not only a very poor writer, but also a racist.

You sir let you're own ignorant opinion blind you of the truth

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:05 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AcousticDoc

Originally posted by Grimm22

That and the fact that Hudlin is clearly, not only a very poor writer, but also a racist.

Is prejudice against white people considered racist?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:15 PM
AcousticDoc is currently offline Click here to Send AcousticDoc a Private Message Find more posts by AcousticDoc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beta Ray Howard
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:22 PM
Beta Ray Howard is currently offline Click here to Send Beta Ray Howard a Private Message Find more posts by Beta Ray Howard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by AcousticDoc
Is prejudice against white people considered racist?

In our legal/moral system only rarely. In a sane world yes.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:26 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

That and the fact that Hudlin is clearly, a very poor writer

Originally posted by grey fox
Hmmmm

Ok , lets compare,

My stuff

My writing versus his writing , whats better ?

*NOTE* : I can freely admit their may be the odd punctuation/spelling error , though if it was an official (published) piece of work I'd have some desk-jockey proofread it a couple-o-hundred times.

Shameless self promotion away !

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:30 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Why does Black Panther have a book right now and Man-Thing doesn't? confused

Awesome scans wink

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:32 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by batdude123
http://www.hudlinentertainment.com/

roll eyes (sarcastic)

wow... It's like our Bizzaro world...

EDIT: WTF, he made 'the great white hype'??? man, he gets a little respect from me for that...

Why does Black Panther have a book right now and Man-Thing doesn't? confused

I ask myself this at least twice a day...

He gets to star in a one-shot coming in march at the very least

Last edited by tsilamini on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 09:47 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 09:43 PM