KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Respect KMC Comic Tournaments

Respect KMC Comic Tournaments
Started by: Digi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scoobless
sselboocS

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DigiMark007
i'm lonely

sad

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 10:59 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Hey. I added a post on page 1 (toward the bottom) to plug goober's Battle Zone. Hasn't been used in a while, but it's a nice premise, and provides a way for people to create and regulate their own tourney-style matches.

Recommended for those looking for experience or a debating opportunity without the months-long commitment of a tourney.

Link is provided on page 1.

smile

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2008 04:00 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Tourney Winners (characters):

Company Breakdown:
Marvel: 42
DC: 9
Indie: 1

Gender Breakdown:
Male: 42
Female: 8
Other: 2

I think 2 things are clear. One, Marvel > DC. Two, men > women.

More seriously, though, the Marvel/DC numbers are startling to me. Slight Marvel leaning on this forum, sure, but tourneys are all about researching and knowing all kinds of powerful/versatile/obscure characters. Whoever fits the bill the best, regardless of company. It's natural for a few more Marvel than DC characters, since the company is slightly better known. But 42-9?! I wonder if maybe Marvel as a company is simply more diverse and powerful at any given level (herald and below, of course).

Old Post Nov 12th, 2008 02:12 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Two things:

I've mentioned it to a few people: we're making a list. A list of competitors, ranked like a BCS-style poll. But the goal won't be a back-patting one like many "best {insert trait}" threads. First, it will be to honor and recognize those who our peers think is truly the best. Second, it can be used for ranking purposes, in case a tourney wants to do seeding. Third, most importantly, it will be incentive for people to improve their debating/ideas in order to move onto the list, or up the list for vets. And we'll be doing it by PM ballot, with only those I choose (20-25 people) getting to vote because they've had some large affect on tournies. That way there isn't discussion, fighting, controversy, etc.

2. The World Series of Poker has all of its events, leading up to the Main Event. But then at the end of each year they invite the 8-10 best players in the world, and maybe the most recent year's main event champion, to play in a winner-take-all match. It's for money, sure, but it's mainly as a way to showcase the best and brightest all at the same table, which rarely happens otherwise.

So my idea: Invite a group of maybe 8-10 combatants to participate. The "best and brightest" as it were. Tourney winners, notable entrants, etc. No rules, power levels, schedules, etc. Matches would be Battlezone fights, with participants finding a convenient time, setting the rules themselves, etc. and the parameters and rules would change match to match. So maybe we have jinzin vs. leonidas (2 tourney winners chosen at random) in a street-level match. Then Digi vs. goober in an abstract battle to see who plays the winner.

Here's the catch. The winner gets...hell I dunno yet. A championship t-shirt, maybe a little bit of cash, a DVD, etc. An actual real-life prize. I'll front the bill and actually send it to the winner. I'd "host" and also participate.

It might take us a year. It wouldn't matter. There wouldn't be "down time" because it wouldn't be a tourney-style format. There wouldn't be rule disputes because everything would be set by the participants for each match. The idea is to provide a fun competition without the stress of a tourney, and to reward those who have dedicated time and effort to tourneys.

I think the idea f-ing rocks. Thoughts?

Old Post Nov 13th, 2008 12:59 AM
Smurph
------

I'm in full support if I'm invited.

If I'm not, the idea blows.

happy

Old Post Nov 14th, 2008 01:30 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Character List:

Carnage
Puma
Sabertooth
Sasquatch
Venom
Wolverine
Wonder Man
Broken down to brick-ish characters- I think the only true "brick" there is Sasquatch, maybe Wonder Man.

Not startling, as I didn't expect many pure bricks would win, but still goes to show how versatility > all, especially in tourneys.

In regards to your assessment about Marvel vs. DC choices:

Something else to consider is DC continuity. It may not be a big deal, but the distinction between PC and Current characters is somewhat blurred, and also cuts out a fairly significant portion of DC's history.

Plus, our Marvel respect threads far outnumber our DC threads. Just something to keep in mind.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2008 01:40 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

All good points. I'm still not sure that those factors account for the over 4-to-1 difference in companies, but they certainly contribute to it.

And yeah, versatility pwns. Unless you're doing "physical" so much better than anyone else (which is hard which specific caps) it's not worth it to have the best brick. That's the same logic I used to convince KFish to dump Abomination in the current tourney.

Juggernaut is a notable exception to the maxim that the usefulness of bricks is very limited. By all accounts, he should have a tourney win. He just hasn't been utilized fully.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2008 02:57 AM
Scoobless
sselboocS

It's natural for a few more Marvel than DC characters, since the company is slightly better known. But 42-9?!

My bad.

stick out tongue

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 14th, 2008 04:54 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Juggernaut is a notable exception to the maxim that the usefulness of bricks is very limited. By all accounts, he should have a tourney win. He just hasn't been utilized fully.
Just wait until another herald amalgam tourney roles around.

I'll get Cain his win.
shifty

As long as no one else enters no expression

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Nov 14th, 2008 07:31 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Company Breakdown:

Gender Breakdown:

I think 2 things are clear. One, Marvel > DC. Two, men > women.

More seriously, though, the Marvel/DC numbers are startling to me. Slight Marvel leaning on this forum, sure, but tourneys are all about researching and knowing all kinds of powerful/versatile/obscure characters. Whoever fits the bill the best, regardless of company. It's natural for a few more Marvel than DC characters, since the company is slightly better known. But 42-9?! I wonder if maybe Marvel as a company is simply more diverse and powerful at any given level (herald and below, of course).

Just out of curiosity ... the guys in red are the ones I had on tourney winning teams:

Character List:

Characters on winning teams, listed alphabetically (brackets indicates multiple tourney victories):

3 Wins -
Silver Surfer (3)

2 Wins -
Hawkeye (2) (both times)
Quasar (2) (both times)

1 Win -
All-Star Superman
Batman
Black Alice
Black Box
Black Panther
Carnage
Cerebro Prime
Crystal
Duplicate Boy
Flash (Wally West)
Forge
Graviton
Hal Jordan
Iceman
Invisible Woman
The Keeper
Light Ray
Marvel Boy
Maxima
Mimic (Exiles)
Moonstone
Powerhouse
Psylocke
Puma
Rachel Summers
Reed Richards (Ultimate)
Sabertooth
Sasquatch
Savitar
Sersi
Scourge
Spawn
Sunfire
Super Adaptoid
Taskmaster
Thor
Ultimate Hawkeye
Venom
Vision
Vulcan
Wendigo (Earth X)
Wiz Kid
Wolverine
Wonder Man
Yellowjacket (Hank Pym)

Company Breakdown:

Gender Breakdown:

That's 17 Marvel characters (counting Hawkeye and Quasar once each) and 1 DC character - The Flash.

Funnily enough, I've never tried to draft the Silver Surfer for a herald level tourney.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 20th, 2008 06:37 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Scoobless

Just out of curiosity ... the guys in red are the ones I had on tourney winning teams:

That's 17 Marvel characters (counting Hawkeye and Quasar once each) and 1 DC character - The Flash.

Funnily enough, I've never tried to draft the Silver Surfer for a herald level tourney.

Interesting. So at least part of the Marvel bias is your doing. It's 25-8 when you remove your characters, so it still definitely exists. And among the current tourney hopefuls, only Charlotte's squad is more DC than Marvel (4-2). I have 2, you have 1-2, and Blair/Smurph has 0 (I think).

I still think it's somewhat of a trend. Smurph mentioned that the crisis destroys some feats, which is true. Perhaps the bias is because of this, because a lot of exotic (i.e. weird) versatility feats come from more classic eras. Take away pre-1986 Thor feats, for example. Mjolnir suddenly becomes less godly in versatility (though still powerful). Think of the wonky sh*t Superman did pre-crisis. Think he'd be more useful with those added in? Undoubtedly. Same goes for a lot of characters. So there's likely just as much useful stuff in DC, but we only have access to parts of it.

And Surfer's just too obvious. I don't think I could pick him at this point simply on principle at High Herald, despite the fact that he's very useful. I still prefer Thor, to be honest, who has been almost as useful in his history (1 win, a couple more finals appearances, and he likely would've had another if I hadn't been booted from Evangel's last outing).

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 02:26 AM
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

quote:

Interesting. So at least part of the Marvel bias is your doing. It's 25-8 when you remove your characters, so it still definitely exists. And among the current tourney hopefuls, only Charlotte's squad is more DC than Marvel (4-2). I have 2, you have 1-2, and Blair/Smurph has 0 (I think).

What's funny about that is that I almost never read DC except stuff I need for the tourney. The only DC series I order on regular basis just for pleasure are Birds of Prey (hence Oracle in the tourney, not simply for purpose of walking talking memory banksmile).
And they're getting canceled soonsad((

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 06:10 AM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Clearly a lot is influenced by what we read. Every tourney sees people picking their favorites, because they know those characters the best and can get the most out of them, and also won't be blindsided with bad showings they don't know about. Long pig/Dr. Strange; Raoul/Superman; Scoob/Thor; Digi/Minion; etc. etc.

I read as much DC as Marvel (maybe slightly more) but most of my picks this tourney were still Marvel.

And I wish I could utilize Wildstorm more, which is my truest company, but my best shot was/is The Doctor, who was on my squad in Evangel's. I never really got to let loose with him, which always made me a bit sad. Wrecking everyone with Minion in this tourney (so far) has been a nice consolation though.

smile

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 07:02 AM
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

Clearly a lot is influenced by what we read. Every tourney sees people picking their favorites, because they know those characters the best and can get the most out of them, and also won't be blindsided with bad showings they don't know about. Long pig/Dr. Strange; Raoul/Superman; Scoob/Thor; Digi/Minion; etc. etc.

I read as much DC as Marvel (maybe slightly more) but most of my picks this tourney were still Marvel.

And I wish I could utilize Wildstorm more, which is my truest company, but my best shot was/is The Doctor, who was on my squad in Evangel's. I never really got to let loose with him, which always made me a bit sad. Wrecking everyone with Minion in this tourney (so far) has been a nice consolation though.

smile

My two previous tourney have K' and Hawksmoor in the teams, but both my boys got aproximately 1 moment of glory each and didn't do anything good for the rest of the thing.

Girls (Ems and Babs) seem to be much more of a success so far.

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 07:05 AM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

It also has quite a bit to do with power levels. DC has its fair share of meta levels, but it's obvious that most of Marvel's most popular characters are below that level.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 07:55 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

smile

i'm still dying to get a hold of cyclops or colossus in a tourney, tbh...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 11:08 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Raoul
i'm still dying to get a hold of cyclops or colossus in a tourney, tbh...

I considered Colossus for the current tourney, but he's too one-dimensional. I wanted him for his magic resistance, but Black Knight provided that along with more versatility.

Cyke's....eh. I suppose he's got good energy output for his level, and I'm interested to see what happens if I face him with Havok on my squad.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 04:31 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I considered Colossus for the current tourney, but he's too one-dimensional. I wanted him for his magic resistance, but Black Knight provided that along with more versatility.

Cyke's....eh. I suppose he's got good energy output for his level, and I'm interested to see what happens if I face him with Havok on my squad.

one dimensional? only if you treat him as such...

cyke has more than just power output, mister...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 04:39 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Raoul
one dimensional? only if you treat him as such...

cyke has more than just power output, mister...

Leadership and tactical prowess is kinda worthless in tourneys. Ask Optimus Prime....he and I found that out the hard way.

And if you could win a tourney with Colossus on the roster, I'd give you a medal. Dude's a brick with magic resistance. Not awful, but not great either. Imo, at least.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 05:07 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Leadership and tactical prowess is kinda worthless in tourneys. Ask Optimus Prime....he and I found that out the hard way.

And if you could win a tourney with Colossus on the roster, I'd give you a medal. Dude's a brick with magic resistance. Not awful, but not great either. Imo, at least.

i wasnt talking about leadership or tactical prowess lol...

he has more than just magic resistance... stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 05:08 PM