KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Blu Ray wins?!

Blu Ray wins?!
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Blu Ray wins?!

Toshiba gave up on HD-DVD... Looks like Blu-Ray won. Good or bad news?

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 03:23 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Blanket statement. Mind explaining this further or give a link or anything?

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 04:02 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It's all over the place, but here's one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7250068.stm

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 04:32 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well it's been on the cards for a while.

It's a shame in many ways but... well, the split format was just a crappy deal for customers. Better someone wins.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 04:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It was. And Blu Ray does have the better cards: more Gigs...

One format is better, for all.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 04:47 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Yeah, but regular DVDs are the real monster here...it's library is way too massive and I doubt Blu-ray will ever catch up. Even if major hollywood studios support it. Indeed it was a victory for them to KO HD DVD. But I doubt we'll see Blu-ray expand in less time than regular DVDs.

Technology is moving too fast for any new formats.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 04:59 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I asked the guys from the DVD store where I buy all my DVD's. They say sales on Blue Ray and HD-DVD is very very marginal.
The problem is, what's the added value of HD? That's it's sharper? I'm sure a lot of people think DVD is sharp enough.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 05:40 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And people needed the TVs.

And didn't want to commit whilst the format war was still going on.

I mean, it is telling that Toshiba's stock price is RISING as a result of this. The format war was hurting everyone.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 05:57 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

DVDs are sharp enough imo, you are not missing out on much if you stay with just dvds instead of Blu Ray.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 06:55 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I'll eventually upgrade to a LCD screen, but I refuse to change formats, seeing as how I have 500+ DVDs. I agree with y'all that DVD is shatrp enough for me.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 09:21 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I posted about this in the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD thread.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
I'll eventually upgrade to a LCD screen, but I refuse to change formats, seeing as how I have 500+ DVDs. I agree with y'all that DVD is shatrp enough for me.

500+?????????!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

You should learn what illegal downloading is...it will save you lots of money. LOL!!! just kidding.

I usually only watch a movie 1 time and twice if it is good so I have no need to purchase.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 09:34 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've swapped all my favourite films on vhs to dvd now, there is no way I am doing that with the amount of dvds I have to something else.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 11:58 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think the outcome of sony (finally) winning a format war was inevitable in this case..they were shrewed enough to buy up the rights to publish over 60% of all hollywood films released up until a few years ago through various deal...all the while developing blu-ray

i think the main issue is not in the film market itself but what will happen in the videogame console wars in the next generation

i dont think sony will allow microsoft to use blu-ray in there next console and if HD-DVD defunct then sony will have a massive foothold from the offset...

i for one now watch most of my dvd's through my xbox360 and so do a large number of my friend through their own consoles and i think this will be increasingly the way people will watch films as it is easier that linking up and using seperate dvd players....

i also think the fact that warner bros saying they will no longer print in HD-DVD will mean other film sudios will follow suit and that'll b the end

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 12:47 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Sony are hardly the exclusive owners of Bluray, Jaiden, they are just the most notable of the backers. If MS wants to use it then they will.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 01:51 AM
VeniceR

Yeah. Looks like Blue Ray has emerged the winner. What with major retailers and movie studios ditching the HD DVD format...
But I guess with the player costing a lot more than currrent-gen dvds, it will be sometime until people catch up.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 07:36 AM
VeniceR is currently offline Click here to Send VeniceR a Private Message Find more posts by VeniceR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Sony are hardly the exclusive owners of Bluray, Jaiden, they are just the most notable of the backers. If MS wants to use it then they will.

Sony and pioneer were the initial developers through UDO and DVR-blue which eventually became blu-ray so i believe they own the primary patents for the technology..

although if the power over it is distributed equally among the BRDA then i guess the majority could allow microsoft to use it....

maybe not though

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 04:05 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It's official now.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7252172.stm

Philips is also heavily involved in Blu Ray.

Looks like Microsoft loses.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 05:16 PM
Squirrel Fart

I much rather have normal DVD and VHS with my 47 inch plasma than Blue ray. The only reason why I might get one is because I might get a PS3 later on.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 05:39 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The patent situation on Blu-ray is a nightmare- this article from a year ago:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Signif...ss-Release.html

It's definitely not a siatuation where Sony can just block it

Nah, Microsoft will just pay up. Even before this news they were talking of a blu-ray add on for the 360.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 19th, 2008 at 06:00 PM

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 05:57 PM
queeq
Chaos

REally? Wow, they're fast. I guess they saw this coming.

I don't get it though... why would they change the 360 games to blue ray? I mean 360 games can only be played on a 360. When a new version of X-Box comes out, they can turn to BluRay.

I only wonder now, if BluRay sales will begin to gain. I am wondering when I should switch.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 08:20 PM