KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » FIREFLY RPG- Character Creation

FIREFLY RPG- Character Creation
Started by: Captain REX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Thraxis88

Here's the thing: even the stripped-down barebones minimum version of this system is painful at best. Here's the simplest of cases: let's take a trip from Rubicon to Ariel. They're both orbiting the same star, and they have relatively similar orbital distances. Let's assume their relative positions in their respective orbits aren't that close to each other at the time of our trip, just to make things a little interesting, so we'll have to go around Bai Hu. Discounting the detour of a sun... I then get to solve for the square root of (1,963,472,044 sqared + (3,085,456,069 - 1,963,472,044), squared), then divide the whole thing by 159,571,200 to find out how many hours it'd take the Gan Ying to travel. Which is, by the way, 14 hours, 10 minutes, plus time for take-off, landing, etc. And that was a simple trip... A complex trip, like from Rubicon to Persephone, would be worse. Oh, and if we ever fly from Bottom to Caliban, find someone else to pilot the ship.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 05:49 PM
Thraxis88 is currently offline Click here to Send Thraxis88 a Private Message Find more posts by Thraxis88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Wouldn't you have to put in the speed of the engines/ship somewhere in that equation? Just curious about this orbital stuff, never learned it.

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 06:08 PM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thraxis88

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Wouldn't you have to put in the speed of the engines/ship somewhere in that equation? Just curious about this orbital stuff, never learned it.
I did: the Gan Ying has a cruising speed of 159,571,200km/ hour. That's more than enough to fly from the Earth to the Sun in an hour.
Also, you might've learned this stuff: what I'm using there is just trigonometry. But to calculate orbits and so on without knowing the angle between the planets and their shared center of mass (the star the planets orbit, for instance), I'd have to use derivatives. Which, unless I'm mistaken, I learned in calculus. And then promptly forgot.

Last edited by Thraxis88 on Jul 20th, 2009 at 07:08 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 06:55 PM
Thraxis88 is currently offline Click here to Send Thraxis88 a Private Message Find more posts by Thraxis88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

However, not to be crass, but I feel that the Gan Ying will be flying at the speed of Plot this time around...
(Need to take some liberties to avoid things like advanced calculus that really don't help the fun of the game...)

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 07:28 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thraxis88

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
However, not to be crass, but I feel that the Gan Ying will be flying at the speed of Plot this time around...
(Need to take some liberties to avoid things like advanced calculus that really don't help the fun of the game...)
Eh, the trig equations are easy enough. Once I get the equations down, plugging in a bunch of really large numbers and then running them through a calculator takes all of 30 seconds. We'll have (somewhat) accurate flight times on hand if they're required. Besides... I like math

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 07:30 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Indeed, Thrax has helped me a bunch of planetary stuff for the game, with that PDF file he linked back there. And the math I find neat, simply because it'd be fun to have accurate travel. Otherwise, I'd just assume it takes a certain amount of days or up to a month.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 08:21 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Question: The laser pistol is well... Better than all the other weapons and smaller as well. What's stopping from everyone using it?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 08:57 PM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

They're restricted to military personnel only, and there are none aboard Gan Ying... except for one, but it already has an owner who never uses it. It'd cost LOTS of Money points, too.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 09:20 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Dropping hints already Rex...
Tisk tisk...

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 10:13 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

It's not THAT important... unless you considered the difficulty of getting a laser pistol by legal means.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 10:16 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Who said anything about legal mans...

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 11:03 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

will post a sheet later

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 11:12 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Preferably soon, Jalek. Things are underway!

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 11:37 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

it will be tonight. I would have had it already but i need a bio, and some info on firefly in general

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 11:42 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I suggest Wikipedia for gathering Firefly info. It is set about five hundred years in the future, in 2514. Mankind has left Earth due to massive pollution problems (it is now uninhabitable) and moved to the planets and moons orbiting around a series of stars. The setting is futuristic science fiction meets the Western genre.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 11:49 PM
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Who said anything about legal mans...

How about one of us gets to distract Kelly, while the other intrusion rolls into his room and steals the pistol. We could even share it after!

And if anything, blame it on the drifters stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 11:51 PM
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

I made a few minor changes Rex, and added his bio, if something doesn't make sense or needs to be changed then I apologize and I will change it accordingly.

Soldier- Toki Kasumi

"First rule of battle, little one... don't ever let them know where you are."

PHYSICAL
Strength: 4
Agility: 5
Dexterity: 4

MENTAL
Willpower: 5
Intelligence: 2
Charisma: 3
Perception: 2

SKILLS

Guns= 4
Combat= 4
Heavy Weapons: 1
Intimidation: 3
Leadership: 3
Observation: 1
Languages: 1

MERITS

Choose three Merits.

HIGHER PURPOSE

After donning the seven scars and recovering from saving his captain, Toki realized that he was meant to be a savior to this world. He wants to end the fighting and save as many lives as he can. Now he is more than ready to lay down his life in exchange for another's safety as a martyr to the universe.

Toki is mostly known for his hostage/P.O.W. rescue mission where he went to go and save his fellow soldiers from captivity with a small elite force. Here he was critically injured and his chest now donned 7 scars on his body. He was a vital member to his team's success and was recognized by his captain as a hero for his noble sacrifice. He is now known by some as the seven scarred soldier.

SCHTICKS

Choose 6 Gun schticks.

STRAIGHT SHOOTER
MERCYKILLER
LIGHTNING RELOAD
CLOSE QUARTERS GUNMAN
BULLET TIME
BODYGUARD

Choose 6 Combat schticks.

Martial Artist
Street Fighter
Leaping Attack
Sidestep
Dodge and Weave
Focused Blow

Bio (I hope this fits to match the Firefly Universe)

Toki was born and raised on Jiangyin and he is of Chinese descent and a natural born speaker. Growing up he trained in the various forms of Martial Arts and takes pride in his styles. He isn't fond of guns but he realizes that you can't end a war solely with your fists, but he will quickly throw down his weapons to engage his enemy in unarmed combat.

As soon as he came of age he joined the Alliance and fought with them on a few occasions, he doesn't care who or why they are fighting, and he holds no grudges against his enemies. Toki only follows orders, and makes sure that the peace of the universe is upheld. Being trained in the humble ways of Martial Arts he has learned to see through the materialistic things like money, fame and sex, but Toki finds honor to be the greatest treasure one can attain.

Now he is a soldier above the Gan Ying and he is more than ready to lay his life on the line for his captain, fellow crew members and whoever else his path may cross.

You Wa Shock!

Last edited by Wei Phoenix on Jul 21st, 2009 at 01:21 AM

Old Post Jul 21st, 2009 01:17 AM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thraxis88

Originally posted by Captain REX
Indeed, Thrax has helped me a bunch of planetary stuff for the game, with that PDF file he linked back there. And the math I find neat, simply because it'd be fun to have accurate travel. Otherwise, I'd just assume it takes a certain amount of days or up to a month.
Pretty soon, I'm hoping to have a fully functional orbital model going, now that I've found some freeware programs that will help...

Old Post Jul 21st, 2009 03:34 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Trust me in saying that Kelly would not take kindly to that, Vash.

And good, Toki! The Alliance is the government that rules over the star systems, if you weren't sure. They fought the Independents (or the Browncoats) because the Independents didn't want to be under the Alliance's power. Civil war and all.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2009 05:23 AM
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

Yeah I figured as much with a name like the Alliance then they should be the police of the galaxy. Toki follows them because he has been given orders to do so, but he understands the reasoning behind those that he fights against. So are all of the members near the hangar or should I appear somewhere else?

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Jul 21st, 2009 05:40 AM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote