KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Elves vs. Men

Elves vs. Men
Started by: SWblayde938

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AradanOfNumenor

Oh, and orc would have made their own armor. They had their own distinctive black mail, plus, Mordor was not only highly fertile but contained good ore and minerals. I am pretty sure that if the orcs in Mordor could make Grond, they could make simple mail?...

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 06:35 AM
AradanOfNumenor is currently offline Click here to Send AradanOfNumenor a Private Message Find more posts by AradanOfNumenor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rekke41

Elves get slaughtered

I am afraid the discussion is too broad, since it's Men versus Elves and presumably all elves versus all men we have to remember Tolkien's concept for Middle Earth... a fictional history of our own planet. Tolkien once stated that we would be in the 6th or 7th age... so that means the forces of Man would include modern militaries. So imagine Feanor, Glorfindel and the great Elves being butchered like sheep by say the 1st cavalry division.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2012 01:29 PM
rekke41 is currently offline Click here to Send rekke41 a Private Message Find more posts by rekke41 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rekke41

BTW, if it was the first 3 ages then yes Elves would take it. But in a contest of all elves versus all men it would be a ridiculous slaughter.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2012 01:30 PM
rekke41 is currently offline Click here to Send rekke41 a Private Message Find more posts by rekke41 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Re: Elves get slaughtered

quote: (post)
Originally posted by rekke41
I am afraid the discussion is too broad, since it's Men versus Elves and presumably all elves versus all men we have to remember Tolkien's concept for Middle Earth... a fictional history of our own planet. Tolkien once stated that we would be in the 6th or 7th age... so that means the forces of Man would include modern militaries. So imagine Feanor, Glorfindel and the great Elves being butchered like sheep by say the 1st cavalry division.

Fingolfin would solo the 1st Cavalry Division.

Howdy!

Old Post Jul 17th, 2012 07:22 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LegolasLover536

Elves would totally win. I mean they have super senses, extra strong, and can talk to treesand make them come alive! Mortal humans better watch out! Those who mess with an elf, DIE.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 11:40 PM
LegolasLover536 is currently offline Click here to Send LegolasLover536 a Private Message Find more posts by LegolasLover536 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

In a period of 3 or 4 ages the elves would have a great advantage since they are the firstborn and multiplied before.
Noldor and Teleri are physically stronger than regular men being only equaled by the Numenoreans, the Wood elves maybe weaker than men but they have all the other blessings of Elves in comparison to men:
Much much much better sight
Better senses
Better coordination
ambidextrous
More durable
Heal faster
Faster
Taller
Don't need to sleep
Tireless
Freaking powerful magic
Immortality

Elven great leaders/warriors: Finwe, Feanor, Fingolfin, Turgon, Mahedros, Fingon, Finarfin, Finrod Felagund, Maglor, Galadriel, Erlond, Lúthien, Thingol, Beleg, Mablung, Legolas, Thranduil, Celeborn, Ecthelion, Glorfindel, Celebrimbor, Elohir, Elladan, Gil-galad, Círdan, Angrod, Argon, Ingwe, Dior.

Men great leaders/warriors: Elendil, Isildur, Aragorn, Tuor, Huor, Hurin, Turin, Barahir, Beren, Hador, Boromir, Faramir, Bard, Ar-Phazarôn, Imrahil, Earnur, Elros, Eomer, Théoden.

Last edited by themadsurfer on Jul 16th, 2013 at 05:08 PM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 05:06 PM
themadsurfer is currently offline Click here to Send themadsurfer a Private Message Find more posts by themadsurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
COG Veteran
Teh GrOovY 1

Originally posted by themadsurfer
Don't need to sleep

Really? I didn't read that in the Hobbit (only one i've read btw). What book was that from?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2013 11:17 PM
COG Veteran is currently offline Click here to Send COG Veteran a Private Message Find more posts by COG Veteran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

By the Third Age humans outnumbered elves by an obscene ratio. The reason is that while elves live longer and are more resistant to disease they also reproduce at a much lower rate. Most elves IIRC have only one or two children on average in their entire lifespan, which is why their numbers actually started to dwindle as time went on--many were killed in wars but not enough were born to replenish the numbers, and this isn't counting the elves who left Middle Earth on ships.

I think in an all out war there's no question that the elves would be destroyed by men, albeit it would be a costly war for men with lots of long, drawn out sieges.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:21 PM

Old Post Jul 18th, 2013 03:18 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

Originally posted by Omega Vision
By the Third Age humans outnumbered elves by an obscene ratio. The reason is that while elves live longer and are more resistant to disease they also reproduce at a much lower rate. Most elves IIRC have only one or two children on average in their entire lifespan, which is why their numbers actually started to dwindle as time went on--many were killed in wars but not enough were born to replenish the numbers, and this isn't counting the elves who left Middle Earth on ships.

I think in an all out war there's no question that the elves would be destroyed by men, albeit it would be a costly war for men with lots of long, drawn out sieges.

Destroyed!!!!????

Old Post Jul 21st, 2013 01:15 AM
themadsurfer is currently offline Click here to Send themadsurfer a Private Message Find more posts by themadsurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

Originally posted by COG Veteran
Really? I didn't read that in the Hobbit (only one i've read btw). What book was that from?

They only need to rest or meditate like Legolas did, but if he wanted he could stay awake more time.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2013 01:25 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by themadsurfer
Destroyed!!!!????

Yes, much in the same way the elves would have been destroyed by orcs had it not been for the aid of men and dwarves.* There just simply weren't enough of them by the Third Age. I honestly can't see how you could argue that the Third Age elves would win a war against the Third Age realm of man.

I'm not commenting on the First Age when they had all their heavy guys because I don't know a lot about that era.

*Granted, men and dwarves would have probably been crushed as well had they not stood together with the elves, but it was fairly obvious in LOTR that men were bearing the brunt of the battle while elves were either protecting their own strongholds or sending token forces to assist the men. How many elves did Lorien end up sending to Helm's Deep? Was it even a hundred? I don't think they were being lazy or parsimonious, I believe that was literally all they could afford to spare at that point.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2013 01:14 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix2001

*Granted, men and dwarves would have probably been crushed as well had they not stood together with the elves, but it was fairly obvious in LOTR that men were bearing the brunt of the battle while elves were either protecting their own strongholds or sending token forces to assist the men. How many elves did Lorien end up sending to Helm's Deep? Was it even a hundred? I don't think they were being lazy or parsimonious, I believe that was literally all they could afford to spare at that point.

The Elves going to Helms Deep was only in the films. Sauron had launched an all out assault on pretty much everyone who was east of the Misty Mountains in the books. Lorien wouldn't have been able to spare anyone.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2013 06:55 AM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

It occurs to me that in the movie it was the Mirkwood Elves, and not the Lorien Elves who sent the token force.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2013 12:55 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

To Helm's Deep? Pretty sure they were Lorien. Otherwise Haldir has some mixed loyalties.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2013 08:52 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Elves get slaughtered

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Fingolfin would solo the 1st Cavalry Division.

laughing

No.

By the Third Age humans outnumbered elves by an obscene ratio.

Which is a lazy attempt by Tolkien to compensate for his superior-in-every-way mary sues; if anything, immortal elves that never age past their physical prime should have to deal with overpopulation if nothing else.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2013 09:02 PM
Master Han is currently offline Click here to Send Master Han a Private Message Find more posts by Master Han Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I remember reading that Elves lose their hardons for boning once they get to a certain age. And they go through a period of loving to bone just prior to that, but it's not long enough to produce large numbers.

That's the problem with creating immortal races. You gotta be clever with your sexing.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2013 05:17 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Warlord
Yes, I am...

Feanor solos

Old Post Sep 9th, 2013 11:27 AM
Warlord is currently offline Click here to Send Warlord a Private Message Find more posts by Warlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Human via being more numerous. Way more numerous. They would siege the elves, and starves them to death.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2013 02:49 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mhmamr
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, Legolas and Aragorn would be there then, would Aragorn have Anduril? That would be a major factor in it, as they would be sacred of it, and he could hurt them with a stare............ read about Narsil scaring alot of people somewhere in the trilogy, Silamrillion, or Unfinished Tales, or the back of those books.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 08:57 PM
mhmamr is currently offline Click here to Send mhmamr a Private Message Find more posts by mhmamr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

On average, elves are just as skilled as men, if not more. Therefore, single and impactful human fighters like Aragorn won't have as big of an impact in a war of billions. Judging solely based on sheer physical and technological advantages, I would give the elves the edge.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2013 02:52 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote