KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is anyone interested in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Is anyone interested in Star Wars the Old Republic?
Started by: SithAce_1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (105): « First ... « 102 103 [104] 105 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Notsreifsrs
Unless you're saying that raising the price means nobody is buying and therefore, the supply doesn't dwindle. Otherwise, huh?

This is a stark contrast from your first statement. Honestly, I have no idea wtf you're talking about.

This is basic economics. Graphed as price against quantity supplied, supply has a positive slope. Increasing the price offered serves to increase the number of units available for purchase. You claimed that a negative supply shock was causing the bidding runs for online editions, when the opposite is true (there has been an explosion in demand for a relatively stable supply).

I was nitpicking, goddammit!

Originally posted by Nephthys
Zam made a dum.

F*** you, I know what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by Eminence
You: (-) supply, (=) demand, (+) price
Him: (=) supply, (+) demand, (+) price

I think Zamp is saying that a sufficient amount of the CE on the market has shifted from retail to second hand ownership that the supply itself hasn't really gone anywhere. Meanwhile because the retail stock has supposedly disappeared, demand for the user stock has increased, so prices increase. Looks like there are strange estimations being made about the number of secondhand CEs being put up for sale compared to the preordered retail stock, but maybe he knows something about this situation that I don't.

And for the record, the CE is in stock all over the fucking place. Sears, Amazon, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Kmart, Gamestop, you name it. I guess the people currently shelling out double were not aware of this, or perhaps there's something special about the preordered package.

I was under the impression that the preorder was more valuable, as it was for Bioshock, which had limited supplies of schwag to go around.

(Yes, Faunus has grokked the economics behind this more completely than DS.)

In any event, speculating with low volumes of consumer products doesn't seem like the way to strike it rich. Much better to simply rape the stock market with a computer that makes 10,000 trades every minute.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2011 11:09 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Zampanó
F*** you, I know what I'm talking about.

Neph made a dum? That no make sense!

This is basic economics. Graphed as price against quantity supplied, supply has a positive slope. Increasing the price offered serves to increase the number of units available for purchase.

How does this happen? Does increasing the price make more product pop out of thin air?

Last edited by Nephthys on Dec 29th, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2011 11:16 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'll address this later without having read any rebuttal other than I apparently don't understand economics (lol). I said I had no idea what you were talking about because I had no idea what you were responding to. As if you were continuing a conversation we just had.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2011 11:29 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

quote:
Zampanó
This is basic economics. Graphed as price against quantity supplied, supply has a positive slope. Increasing the price offered serves to increase the number of units available for purchase.

If consumers are unwilling to pay for the good on account of the marked up prices. More basic economics: ceteris paribus. The supply shock is significant enough to overcompensate.

quote:
Zampanó
You claimed that a negative supply shock was causing the bidding runs for online editions, when the opposite is true (there has been an explosion in demand for a relatively stable supply).

Momentarily ignoring new revelations about CE availability: what's stable about the supply? It had been preordered to the point of complete retail stock depletion (aka [-] supply) at which point the only avenue of purchase was through the user market. Unless you're proposing that a majority of the original CE copies were put back up for sale, we're still looking at a significantly depressed supply.

quote:
Zampanó
I was under the impression that the preorder was more valuable, as it was for Bioshock, which had limited supplies of schwag to go around.

Well I don't think there's a difference between the Collector's Edition that was available for preorder and the one out now...

quote:
Zampanó
(Yes, Faunus has grokked the economics behind this more completely than DS.)

This word appears insulting. Consider yourself fortunate that I know better.

quote:
Neph
How does this happen? Does increasing the price make more product pop out of thin air?

It means existing supplies of the product remain unpurchased.

Last edited by Eminence on Dec 29th, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2011 11:41 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Bee tee dubbs, happy belated birthday Neph. luv u.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2011 11:45 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I love you too.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2011 11:51 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brako Cott
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe Zampano was referring to the added incentive for firms to supply more of a product when they are able to do so at a greater price, not that a higher price immediately leads to greater supply.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 12:22 AM
Click here to Send Brako Cott a Private Message Find more posts by Brako Cott Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
I'll address this later without having read any rebuttal other than I apparently don't understand economics (lol). I said I had no idea what you were talking about because I had no idea what you were responding to. As if you were continuing a conversation we just had.

Fact: conservatives can't understand economics.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 12:24 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Eminence
If consumers are unwilling to pay for the good on account of the marked up prices.

Do you mean "willing"?

quote:
More basic economics: ceteris paribus. The supply shock is significant enough to overcompensate.

Ceteris Paribus is generally taken as a given. I was essentially dismissing out of hand the existence of a simultaneous supply shock; DS claimed there was one while explaining the effects of a demand shock.

quote:

Momentarily ignoring new revelations about CE availability: what's stable about the supply? It had been preordered to the point of complete retail stock depletion (aka [-] supply) at which point the only avenue of purchase was through the user market. Unless you're proposing that a majority of the original CE copies were put back up for sale, we're still looking at a significantly depressed supply.

That wasn't exactly how I was looking at it, but you make a good point. I was thinking that on the margin the increased price of CEs was driving users to be willing to sell their copies (a la Dave's example of speculation).

That the aftermarket wouldn't exist without an exhausted inventory wasn't something I'd considered. I was imagining that the demand had shifted outward following success and positive reviews. Either way, Dave himself is an anecdotal argument in favor of a price-pulled increase in quantity supplied (as opposed to increase in supply schedule).
quote:

Well I don't think there's a difference between the Collector's Edition that was available for preorder and the one out now...

Oh. Well then my only explanation is that people are idiots.

quote:

This word appears insulting. Consider yourself fortunate that I know better.

You know I love you. And that's a damn fine book.
quote:

It means existing supplies of the product remain unpurchased.

You mean that existing supplies of the product become profitable when sold.

Originally posted by Nephthys

Pretend that you have a CE that you expect to enjoy a lot. If I offer you $5 for it, you'd say "hell no. It's worth more than that!" If I offer you $1,000,000 for it, you'd say "sure thing, care for a bj, too?" Clearly the value of that CE for you is somewhere between $5 and $1 mill. By raising the price, it becomes more likely that someone new, somewhere, will be willing to accept a trade at that new price. For example, I wouldn't sell my copy of Mass Effect for $40. But if you offered $50, I'd go for it, increasing the supply by one unit.

Things aren't appearing from nowhere. Motivation is appearing from increased incentives.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 12:38 AM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Whoa whoa I didn't claim anything (that I can remember). I'll educate you guys when I get home. For the record, only conservatives understand economics. Liberals/democrats seem to have a brain fart in regards to this subject.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 01:23 AM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Do you mean "willing"?

Ceteris Paribus is generally taken as a given. I was essentially dismissing out of hand the existence of a simultaneous supply shock; DS claimed there was one while explaining the effects of a demand shock.

That wasn't exactly how I was looking at it, but you make a good point. I was thinking that on the margin the increased price of CEs was driving users to be willing to sell their copies (a la Dave's example of speculation).

That the aftermarket wouldn't exist without an exhausted inventory wasn't something I'd considered. I was imagining that the demand had shifted outward following success and positive reviews. Either way, Dave himself is an anecdotal argument in favor of a price-pulled increase in quantity supplied (as opposed to increase in supply schedule).

Pretend that you have a CE that you expect to enjoy a lot. If I offer you $5 for it, you'd say "hell no. It's worth more than that!" If I offer you $1,000,000 for it, you'd say "sure thing, care for a bj, too?" Clearly the value of that CE for you is somewhere between $5 and $1 mill. By raising the price, it becomes more likely that someone new, somewhere, will be willing to accept a trade at that new price. For example, I wouldn't sell my copy of Mass Effect for $40. But if you offered $50, I'd go for it, increasing the supply by one unit.

Things aren't appearing from nowhere. Motivation is appearing from increased incentives. [/B]

I was preparing a response, but I am tired and have capsaicin in my eyes. Tomorrow.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 01:50 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Haha, you guys are so lame.

Zam: Badass response.

You guys: Oh.... eh, we'll get back to you..... messed

Thats you! Thats how lame you sound!

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 01:54 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

I agree. Anyone who's unable to defeat Zamp of all people in an argument is, essentially, bitchmade.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 01:58 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your prison style surprise-sex guys!

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 02:01 AM
Eminence
Boss

quote:
DS
Whoa whoa I didn't claim anything (that I can remember).

lol, wtf.

quote:
zamp
Do you mean "willing"?

quote:
zamp

quote:
zamp

Things aren't appearing from nowhere. Motivation is appearing from increased incentives.

Yes. That.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I am unwilling to concede without a verifiable excuse: confounded by the burning of my eyes by the drift of bhut jolokia (I am fairly certain I can extract detectable doses of capsaicin from my eyes) and a minor degree of sleep deprivation, I attempted to trade high ground for higher ground and fell into a fucking ravine, because I was going so high shit got icy. It has been two years since I was academically obligated to open an economics book, and that was macro; my logicks did not go deep enough. This has sufficiently motivated me to reintegrate economics into my short-term "to learn independently" list, right after multivariable.

quote:
zamp

quote:
zamp

quote:
zamp

ahahahabitch i accept your concession

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: luv u too brah. also i don't understand the book thing.

Happy, guys? Now if I look at this tomorrow and see that I've conceded something I shouldn't have or conceded in a manner unbecoming of me I will actually hurt the both of you at the same time with your own appendages and orifices.

Reported, btw.

Last edited by Eminence on Dec 30th, 2011 at 02:16 AM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 02:14 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

You can't hurt me. You can't even hurt yourself.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 02:14 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Please. I hurt myself all the time.

and I happen to be immune to fear of big people unless they're actually strong, it's nighttime, or there are more than one of them. My suitemate's a hair shy of six six, you get used to it. so you will not be able to escape injury on account of me not wanting to get into it with you, not without the summoning of your extended family.

edit: And I'm always willing to share seven hundred thousand Scotsville units with your sensory organs and those of the people you hold dearest in life.

edit2: also, profiled. ****ing hilarious shit, blax.

Last edited by Eminence on Dec 30th, 2011 at 02:26 AM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 02:20 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Ok, Emi is a cool kid again. Sweet reply Emi.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 02:24 AM
Eminence
Boss

smile

Last edited by Eminence on Dec 30th, 2011 at 02:42 AM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 02:29 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Geez, folks, please don't drag things so weirdly off-topic like that again. If no-one has anything useful to say about the game, I will close this in favour of the one on the computer games area.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 08:09 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote