KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman IV sucked because money went to another bad movie?

Superman IV sucked because money went to another bad movie?
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

As cheesy as "Nuclear Man" was, I actually think that he could make a very good/interesting foe if he were placed in a newer Superman flick.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jul 18th, 2010 11:34 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
As cheesy as "Nuclear Man" was, I actually think that he could make a very good/interesting foe if he were placed in a newer Superman flick.

I wouldn't be apposed to seeing him back.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2010 12:01 AM
The Power is currently offline Click here to Send The Power a Private Message Find more posts by The Power Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Galan007

Only if he got a serious reboot on his origin, and a much better costume.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 19th, 2010 06:52 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChocolateCake

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Only if he got a serious reboot on his origin, and a much better costume.

They would have to come up with a better back story. I never liked the fact that Lex created him.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2010 08:29 PM
ChocolateCake is currently offline Click here to Send ChocolateCake a Private Message Find more posts by ChocolateCake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Holy shit they wanna start thinking about a serious reboot for Superman...
Cause lets face it: Superman IV was still better than SR.....

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 12:01 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
God

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

In no way was Superman IV better than Returns.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 01:26 PM
003 is currently offline Click here to Send 003 a Private Message Find more posts by 003 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Sure. Hyperbole.

Yet they are pretty even on the "how-enjoyable-a-movie-they-are' scales.

Both were pretty vacuous experiences, both over hyped at the time of it's release, but then revealed by the cruel passage of time to be in fact shit.
Self indulgant, navel gazing tripe for the most part with both movies.
Stupid over laboured Jesus parallels and hamfisted christian symbolism made SR suck that little bit harder. Not to mention Routh being a dull Superman

At least Superman IV had the excuse of being an incomplete movie... smile

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 04:31 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Maybe if another villain, besides Lex F*cking Luthor, from the gallery of, literally, dozens of rogues Superman has was chosen, the next Superman flick would not suck ass.

Metallo, Brainiac, Mongul, Darkseid, Doomsday, Bizzaro, Lobo, Mxyzptlk, Parasite,...................need I go on?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 01:33 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha-7
No.1

Originally posted by Impediment
Maybe if another villain, besides Lex F*cking Luthor, from the gallery of, literally, dozens of rogues Superman has was chosen, the next Superman flick would not suck ass.

Metallo, Brainiac, Mongul, Darkseid, Doomsday, Bizzaro, Lobo, Mxyzptlk, Parasite,...................need I go on?

Very true, It is about time Luthor was put on the sidelines for one of the other villains.

Thanks to Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 03:43 AM
Alpha-7 is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha-7 a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha-7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K.Diddy
DiddyWood Style

Originally posted by Alpha-7
Very true, It is about time Luthor was put on the sidelines for one of the other villains.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2010 01:37 AM
K.Diddy is currently offline Click here to Send K.Diddy a Private Message Find more posts by K.Diddy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Its kind of widely known that the movie was released unfinished.

Thats why the fx look like ass.

Most of you know that the Golan Globus people who made it were originally given like $35 or 40 million to make it and instead made it for like $17 million and use that on othe rmovies.

Well I was looking some trivia today on IMDB and I guess the "other" movie they used that money on was Masters of the Universe

Funny, both movies that had potential turned out to be lame missed opportunities.

Both Masters of the Universe and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace were produced by Cannon Films in association with Golan-Globus in 1987.

In his autobiography, Still Me, Christopher Reeve describes working with Golan-Globus and Cannon Films on Superman IV: The Quest for Peace as "a catastrophe from start to finish."

"We were also hampered by budget constraints and cutbacks in all departments. Cannon Films had nearly thirty projects in the works at the time, and Superman IV received no special consideration. For example, Konner and Rosenthal wrote a scene in which Superman lands on 42nd Street and walks down the double yellow lines to the United Nations, where he gives a speech. If that had been a scene in Superman I, we would actually have shot it on 42nd Street. [Richard] Donner would have choreographed hundreds of pedestrians and vehicles and cut to people gawking out of office windows at the sight of Superman walking down the street like the Pied Piper. Instead, we had to shoot at an industrial park in England in the rain with about a hundred extras, not a car in sight, and a dozen pigeons thrown in for atmosphere. Even if the story had been brilliant, I don't think that we could ever have lived up to the audience's expectations with this approach."

In the DVD commentary for Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, writer Mark Rosenthal lists this scene as an example of the budget slashing of Golan-Globus and Cannon Films. According to Rosenthal, director Sidney J. Furie and writer Christopher Reeve begged to film this sequence in front of the United Nations building as audiences who are familiar with the appearance of the United Nations building would recognize the England location as a fake. Golan-Globus and Cannon Films refused. According to Rosenthal, they were "pinching pennies at every step."

According to actor Jon Cryer, Golan-Globus and Cannon Films had run out of funds five months earlier, ultimately releasing an unfinished film. This is consistent with the novelization of the film which represents a more complete version of the story. When compared to the film, it appears as if whole parts of the story are summarily torn out.

Additionally, despite having produced 43 films and its stock increasing one-hundred-fold the previous year, Golan-Globus and Cannon Films declared bankruptcy in 1987. An investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission found that Golan-Globus and Cannon Films had fraudulently mis-stated their financial reports. In 1988, Cannon Films was purchased by Giancarlo Parretti and Pathe Communications. Citing differences with Yoram Globus and Giancarlo Parretti, Menahem Golan resigned from Cannon Films the following year. Cannon Films dissolved three years later, after the pair was convicted of evidence tampering and fled the United States before sentencing.

In short, funds were not diverted from Superman IV to Masters of the Universe. Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus embezzled funds from both films and fled the country.

Last edited by Adam_PoE on Jul 30th, 2010 at 03:56 AM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2010 03:51 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

Holy sh1t!!! are you kidding? superman IV was total crap and superman returns was only slightly better. the only thing good about superman returns was when he stopped the plane in the baseball field. that's it!!!
At least Nolands superman will disregard superman returns.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2010 06:16 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zeel

Originally posted by Badabing
(please log in to view the image)

hey look its the sentry!

Old Post Nov 7th, 2010 05:06 AM
zeel is currently offline Click here to Send zeel a Private Message Find more posts by zeel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

One of the things i find horrendous in returns was the kid.

I mean how much of a **** was Lois. The kid was Clark's, yet she made the other guy believed he was his. That meant she had to slept with Richards about a week, two weeks gives or takes to make him believe the child's his.

What about the fact that Luthor stoled the crystals.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2011 07:58 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
En Sabah Nur X

Originally posted by SquallX
One of the things i find horrendous in returns was the kid.

I mean how much of a **** was Lois. The kid was Clark's, yet she made the other guy believed he was his. That meant she had to slept with Richards about a week, two weeks gives or takes to make him believe the child's his.

What about the fact that Luthor stoled the crystals.

The stealing of the crystals, was like a hit to the nuts, completely bollocks that the legacy of krypton is lost via greed.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 04:44 PM
En Sabah Nur X is currently offline Click here to Send En Sabah Nur X a Private Message Find more posts by En Sabah Nur X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StephenJondrew

Re: Superman IV sucked because money went to another bad movie?

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Its kind of widely known that the movie was released unfinished.

Thats why the fx look like ass.

Most of you know that the Golan Globus people who made it were originally given like $35 or 40 million to make it and instead made it for like $17 million and use that on othe rmovies.

Well I was looking some trivia today on IMDB and I guess the "other" movie they used that money on was Masters of the Universe

Funny, both movies that had potential turned out to be lame missed opportunities.

Wow. I didn't know this. We did an arc on Superman on the podcast I do and I actually got flack for this, but I actually liked Superman 4 better than 3. I felt like Superman 3 was jumping all over the place and Superman 4 which just easier to concentrate on what was happening.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 12:01 AM
StephenJondrew is currently offline Click here to Send StephenJondrew a Private Message Find more posts by StephenJondrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Superman IV was awesome!

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 12:13 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by the ninjak
Superman IV was awesome!

I respect you're opinion.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2011 04:55 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GRIMNIR

Superman 2 has always been my favourite

When I was a kid I always used to call Zod and his buddies the black baddies laughing

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2011 10:08 AM
GRIMNIR is currently offline Click here to Send GRIMNIR a Private Message Find more posts by GRIMNIR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StephenJondrew

Originally posted by GRIMNIR
Superman 2 has always been my favourite

When I was a kid I always used to call Zod and his buddies the black baddies laughing

Zod is great. Such an appealing villian and how can you not like "Kneel before Zod!!!!!!" SO POWERFUL big grin

Old Post Mar 29th, 2011 06:08 PM
StephenJondrew is currently offline Click here to Send StephenJondrew a Private Message Find more posts by StephenJondrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote