KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » inimalist's Tournament

inimalist's Tournament
Started by: inimalist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 19 20 [21]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

You needed two votes, you got two votes. Can you vote up to two?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 31st, 2011 05:42 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
I loved Simbon's team, but I have to admit I would've voted for the leo/PG tandem.

Leo has always been one of my favorite debaters and PG wasn't as pathetic as he was in our battlezone.

well...... thanks. smile i enjoy these types of debates. this one had a little bit of spice--fun mixing it up a little. glad no ones feelings were hurt, as sometimes happens. the badinage is all part of the show, far as i'm concerned.

Originally posted by Simbon
Ah well, I'm glad that some people were at least willing to read the tournament (even if they voted against me stick out tongue ); I really enjoyed putting my team and prep together, but I must admit that, in addition to just having a less powerful team, this was my first BZ match and I did not at all anticipate what was actually going to be debated -- all of the parts of my plan that I thought would be attacked went unchallenged, while things that I thought were above question were put under attack. A lot of fun, though -- just too bad we couldn't finish, I had all these other time-shenanigans planned.

your team was wicked-a$$. i was actually boggled for a while after reading your prep, and had no clue how to go about attacking it. i had no sense at all of how judges would have called the match. i thought you did a great job, first time or not and i would NOT have been surprised to have gone against you again in the final. damn, i STILL have a headache from your prep.....

Old Post Aug 31st, 2011 06:27 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I suppose I'll break down and host one at some point. We need one of these things to finish. Maybe I'm kidding myself into thinking my mod status will ensure a bit more attentiveness, but at least I've done the hosting song and dance before, so nothing will be a surprise.

I really just want to enter a high meta tourney and (hopefully) make it my last as an entrant. I was considering the last couple until they got pushed to low herald. I really just don't have the patience for debating at the higher power levels anymore. Too much insanity ad ambiguity in even the best-laid plans....which can be said at any level, but at least in metas you (mostly) eliminate the biggest headache-inducers like magic, Flash-level speed, time and matter manip., etc.

Last edited by Digi on Aug 31st, 2011 at 09:43 PM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2011 09:32 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

Originally posted by leonidas

your team was wicked-a$$. i was actually boggled for a while after reading your prep, and had no clue how to go about attacking it. i had no sense at all of how judges would have called the match. i thought you did a great job, first time or not and i would NOT have been surprised to have gone against you again in the final. damn, i STILL have a headache from your prep.....

Thanks, man. I was hoping to do a different, incredibly complicated prep plan for each match: for the next one, I was going to prep in Chronopolis, make all of the summons permanent by using Immortus' summoning device, have Kang impregnate a concubine and then use Tempus to bring about the child's birth and maturation (since the presence of someone born in Limbo would create huge time distortions on the battlefield, as we've seen in the avengers), and then have all of my team-members and summons disguised as Kangs (even the growing man). Plus some other stuff.

What I really was curious to see though was how people would react if in your next match you added Kang, Zarrko, and Epoch to your summons (and by extension, the time-cube and all of their summons); all hell would have broken loose.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 02:03 AM
Simbon is currently offline Click here to Send Simbon a Private Message Find more posts by Simbon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

Originally posted by Digi
I suppose I'll break down and host one at some point. We need one of these things to finish. Maybe I'm kidding myself into thinking my mod status will ensure a bit more attentiveness, but at least I've done the hosting song and dance before, so nothing will be a surprise.

I really just want to enter a high meta tourney and (hopefully) make it my last as an entrant. I was considering the last couple until they got pushed to low herald. I really just don't have the patience for debating at the higher power levels anymore. Too much insanity ad ambiguity in even the best-laid plans....which can be said at any level, but at least in metas you (mostly) eliminate the biggest headache-inducers like magic, Flash-level speed, time and matter manip., etc.

Would you be interested in co-hosting the "science tourney" I suggested earlier? I have some fairly concrete ideas about possible rules, but have hesitated putting out an interest thread because I am unsure if I could handle it alone at this point.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 02:07 AM
Simbon is currently offline Click here to Send Simbon a Private Message Find more posts by Simbon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

You may have to remind me of the details, or provide links to posts. I don't really pay attention to most tourney ideas.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 03:58 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

You may have to remind me of the details, or provide links to posts. I don't really pay attention to most tourney ideas.

Well, it needs to be fleshed out a great deal, but here are some quick notes that will give an idea of what I was thinking:

Simbon’s Broken Science Tourney

Each participant gets to draft 3 characters, only one of whom can be above mid-meta, and none of whom may be above low-herald (magneto level cap).
In this tourney, only scientists from comics can be drafted. As far as what counts as a scientist, I want to have as wide a definition as impossible. This could not only include classic scientists like Lex, Reed or Pym, but also scientists who have only appeared in one or two comics, or whose only scientific feat was accidentally giving themselves powers (like the Lizard). I would even allow someone like the Accomplished Perfect Physician. The main thing is that the character in question has at least one feat that can be described as a “scientific accomplishment.” Really though, drafts will be judged less on the basis of that definition than on the classic principle of “I know a scientist when I see one.” However, characters whose scientific abilities stem from innate powers are not permitted — so no Warlock, Jeffries, or the like.
Prep time is awarded according to how many of your drafts have previously been used on KMC’s battlezone (you must declare when drafting whether or not that character has been previously drafted): If all of your characters have been used before, your team receives one minute of prep-time. If you only have one previously undrafted character, your team gets an hour. Two undrafted characters will get your team a day. And if no one on your team has been drafted before, you get one full week.
Fourth Man Prize: If no one on your team is above mid-meta, and none of your team members have been drafted before on KMC’s Battlezone, you may draft a fourth scientist for your team, provided that that scientist has also never been drafted, and is also mid-meta or lower.
Henchman Option: By opting for the next lower prep-time bracket, you may also draft an additional, non-scientist member for your team, provided that that member is either a henchman or team-member to a character you’ve already drafted. This henchman must be low-herald or lower. For instance, if you had a team with Reed Richards on it and a day’s worth of prep, you could opt to only have one hour of prep in order to draft Thing, Torch, or Sue.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 06:05 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I'll be honest, that doesn't sound like a premise I'd be excited about jumping into. Which isn't to say I don't wish you luck with it. I do.

Quickly though, "scientists only" are borked without prep, so your prep rules are skewed. Anyone wanting a chance to win would need the maximum amount of prep, so you'd see people drafting teams of 2 unknown nobodies and 1 semi-obscure scientist with 1-2 awesome feats. Big as comics are, and as knowledgeable as our members are, there's only so many draftable characters that haven't been used before. With any decent number of participants, you'd be looking at matches full of D-listers.

You'd need to expand the drafting criteria, or make the penalty a little less stringent for drafting previously-used characters. Otherwise, it would just be a cavalcade of "This guy made a robot against against Superman in 1978. Superman OHK a galaxy with a sneeze. The robot, uh, punched him hard. So, yeah. Superman-level robot ftw."

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 01:50 PM
Simbon

I'll be honest, that doesn't sound like a premise I'd be excited about jumping into. Which isn't to say I don't wish you luck with it. I do.

Quickly though, "scientists only" are borked without prep, so your prep rules are skewed. Anyone wanting a chance to win would need the maximum amount of prep, so you'd see people drafting teams of 2 unknown nobodies and 1 semi-obscure scientist with 1-2 awesome feats. Big as comics are, and as knowledgeable as our members are, there's only so many draftable characters that haven't been used before. With any decent number of participants, you'd be looking at matches full of D-listers.

You'd need to expand the drafting criteria, or make the penalty a little less stringent for drafting previously-used characters. Otherwise, it would just be a cavalcade of "This guy made a robot against against Superman in 1978. Superman OHK a galaxy with a sneeze. The robot, uh, punched him hard. So, yeah. Superman-level robot ftw."

That's cool; just thought I would ask.

I see what you mean, but I don't think it will get as bad as "I'm using that one scientist who only appeared once" (although I could see some effective strategies coming out of such an approach -- in this tourney I briefly contemplated drafting Future Man, who only appeared once in the 1940's). The "one herald" limitation was meant to prevent everyone from putting together the usual BZ team consisting of three power-houses (for instance: Magneto, Apocalypse, Kang), and the idea behind the variable prep times was to encourage creative strategies based on characters not previously seen. Many of these are NOT D-listers, though. If the search function serves me correctly, no one has yet drafted Klaw, Red Ghost, Mandarin, the Mad Thinker, the Wizard, M.O.D.O.K., the Leader, Reed FRIKKIN Richards, Lex FRIKKIN Luthor, Psycho-man, Master of the World, Dr. Sivana, Giant Man, Brainiac 5, T.O. Morrow, etc. And that is not even scratching the surface. Considering how much can be accomplished in a single hour, it would also not surprise me if some participants chose to use only one never-before drafted character, and focused on characters that were also credible threats in combat.

Everyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated; any interest?

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 05:00 PM
Bentley
Seitei

I thought of two similar variants of the Genius tournament concept.

1) you have two characters that will equip the third one before that one jumps into combat.

2) instead of fighting, you can make a task oriented contest, in which the participants would solve a puzzle -find the infinity gems, capturing a non-physical entity etc-. A variant would be that two opponents will try to solve the task and the third will prepare the task to be solved within the capabilities of his/her own prep.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 05:37 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

whatever it is, i'm in

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 08:36 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

If something gets rolling next month -which is not much of a stretch considering the time this things tend to take- I'd like to give it a shot. So yeah, let's see what can get done.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 08:57 PM
Simbon

I thought of two similar variants of the Genius tournament concept.

1) you have two characters that will equip the third one before that one jumps into combat.

2) instead of fighting, you can make a task oriented contest, in which the participants would solve a puzzle -find the infinity gems, capturing a non-physical entity etc-. A variant would be that two opponents will try to solve the task and the third will prepare the task to be solved within the capabilities of his/her own prep.

I'm more interested in a combat tourney than in other types of challenges, but it is an interesting idea. As for the first suggestion, I think that is very much an option with the rules I've proposed, as there are a LOT of scientist bricks out there (Apocalypse, Ironclad, Doc Samson, etc.) who could get pretty souped up by their partners.

OK. I will draft up some more specific rules and post an interest thread some time in the next day or two.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 1st, 2011 09:40 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

That's cool; just thought I would ask.

I see what you mean, but I don't think it will get as bad as "I'm using that one scientist who only appeared once" (although I could see some effective strategies coming out of such an approach -- in this tourney I briefly contemplated drafting Future Man, who only appeared once in the 1940's). The "one herald" limitation was meant to prevent everyone from putting together the usual BZ team consisting of three power-houses (for instance: Magneto, Apocalypse, Kang), and the idea behind the variable prep times was to encourage creative strategies based on characters not previously seen. Many of these are NOT D-listers, though. If the search function serves me correctly, no one has yet drafted Klaw, Red Ghost, Mandarin, the Mad Thinker, the Wizard, M.O.D.O.K., the Leader, Reed FRIKKIN Richards, Lex FRIKKIN Luthor, Psycho-man, Master of the World, Dr. Sivana, Giant Man, Brainiac 5, T.O. Morrow, etc. And that is not even scratching the surface. Considering how much can be accomplished in a single hour, it would also not surprise me if some participants chose to use only one never-before drafted character, and focused on characters that were also credible threats in combat.

Everyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated; any interest?

Are you talking about Tournaments on KMC? I've personally drafted like 3 of the people you listed.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 04:42 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Is there a master list of characters that have been drafted?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 09:25 AM
Simbon

Are you talking about Tournaments on KMC? I've personally drafted like 3 of the people you listed.

Yeah, I meant KMC tournaments. Which ones? I used the search function and none of them showed up.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 04:59 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Yeah, I meant KMC tournaments. Which ones? I used the search function and none of them showed up.

The search function sucks. Also, not all the tournaments are in this subforum. A lot of them are lost in the jungles of the VS forum when we hosted them there.

I've personally used Brianiac 5 and I know someone has drafted T.O. before.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2011 07:21 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

Originally posted by Blair Wind
The search function sucks. Also, not all the tournaments are in this subforum. A lot of them are lost in the jungles of the VS forum when we hosted them there.

I've personally used Brianiac 5 and I know someone has drafted T.O. before.

I see. The idea was penalize people for going after obvious power houses like Kang and Doom, and reward them for going after less frequently used characters; I didn't want to penalize anyone for using Brainiac 5 or T.O Morrow. I've suggested in the tourney thread that instead the penalty will only apply to characters who have been drafted more than once.

Are you interested in giving it a shot? This is an opportunity for you to create the craziest prep plan yet seen on KMC.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 5th, 2011 05:29 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Is there a master list of characters that have been drafted?

The only "stats" compiled are those in the tourney respect thread by me, when I decided that people might enjoy seeing some stuff. But no, nothing like this exists. When I made the thread, I was already having to mire through years of tourneys, so that task is probably impossible.

The only possible way would be to go into some threads for each tourney (which I do provide), use the "find all threads" from the tourney host, then sift through all of their threads to find the tourney ones, then peruse each match to see the characters used.

It's not something I'll ever do. I really don't think tourneys should be based off of past drafts when we have such incomplete evidence.

What we do have is a list of tourney characters that have won a tourney. Just not a list of every draft.

Characters wouldn't show up, they're generally not listed in thread titles for tourneys. Trying to look based on mentions in threads would turn up tens of thousands of results per characters, so KMC likely can't handle that kind of memory storage.

I see. The idea was penalize people for going after obvious power houses like Kang and Doom, and reward them for going after less frequently used characters; I didn't want to penalize anyone for using Brainiac 5 or T.O Morrow. I've suggested in the tourney thread that instead the penalty will only apply to characters who have been drafted more than once.

Are you interested in giving it a shot? This is an opportunity for you to create the craziest prep plan yet seen on KMC.

My advice is to name some obvious people and just penalize them. Trying to do the "never drafted" before is just a path to a headache.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 5th, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2011 10:21 PM