KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » (Revenge of the Sith) Darth Sidious -vs- Darth Bane (Dynasty of Evil)

Who is truly the most Powerful Sith Lord?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Sidious is superior in Sabers 19 14.07%
Sidious is superior in Force 21 15.56%
Sidious is superior in All Out 25 18.52%
Bane is superior in All Out 24 17.78%
Bane is superior in Force 22 16.30%
Bane is superior in Sabers 24 17.78%
Total: 50 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

(Revenge of the Sith) Darth Sidious -vs- Darth Bane (Dynasty of Evil)
Started by: Battlemaster

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Pwned
That guy

Like I said earlier, some of these statements are up to how you read them.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 11:34 AM
Click here to Send Pwned a Private Message Find more posts by Pwned Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Battlemaster
laughing I think I hit a raw nerve.

Alright, I'll break it down for you:

The whole quote kind of goes together in terms of logistics.

“Vader imagined the power that could be his if he crushed Palpatine and established his own rule over the Empire.

Vader: "Luke, you can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny! Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy as father and son! Come with me. It is the only way."
[Luke lets go of the projection and falls into the shaft]

But first, he would need his own apprentice. By himself, he could not hope to defeat the most powerful Sith Lord the galaxy had ever known.”

Vader: "There is no escape! Don't make me destroy you. Luke, you do not yet realize your importance. You've only begun to discover your power! Join me, and I will complete your training! With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict, and bring order to the galaxy."

If you need me to, next, I'll explain where babies come from. stick out tongue

You're making Ahrael look pretty smart right now. laughing wink

Perhaps you should let someone else handle this. Your doing a very poor job. Vader's line's in ESB has nothing to do with whether or not Sidious being the most powerful comes from Vader's opinion or not.

I can see why Pwned would think the statement is out-of-universe. It does seem like the author has his mind made up about Sidious being the most powerful sith.
For example, if you read "Bob was a foreign exchange student in Africa. There, he stayed with a very welcoming family and became best friends with one of the sons. At night Bob imagined what it would be like to take his best friends place and grow up in a black family."Wouldn't you automatically assume that the family was black? Or would you assume that it's only in Bob's imagination that they were black?

It's easy to get confused.

Also, I find it silly that you feel the need to insult others when you can't even form an opinion on your own. You need SM's approval. I think it's them who should be laughing at you. laughing

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 04:05 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

If you need me to, next, I'll explain where babies come from. stick out tongue

You're making Ahrael look pretty smart right now. laughing wink

You never learn do you?

I hoped that at expense of hating me you would learn your lesson and start treating other people normal way. Yet, you not only continued insulting people but, also, got me involved.

We had mutual rant, fine. I forgot, forgave and continued posting on forum like nothing happened. Is it really that hard for you to do the same?

quote:
Sooooo.....

Which of these sources is created after TOR/Revan and after DoE Bane was envisioned?

Because if none of them, then that means they can be overwritten by newer canon. That kind of thing happens all the time.

None. But I don't see how newer canon can overwrite older in this case because both TOR and Bane stuff happened in completely different older time era. Canon statements about Palpatine being the most powerful cover all the Sith of the past, no matter how many new characters are created. Even ancient Sith recognized him as the greatest and the strongest.
It can be overwritten only by creating more powerful Sith, which lived after Palpatine.

In any case, to me it doesn't really matter. Other powerful Sith had their own advantages and uniqueness. I never say that one powerful Sith can stomp another because all of them have enormous feats and what we give more weight depends utterly on who we favor more.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 06:18 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Arhael
Canon statements about Palpatine being the most powerful cover all the Sith of the past, no matter how many new characters are created.
So... inconsistencies are A-OK.

Yeah, f*ck that.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 06:19 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Statements made before the creation of characters with power that seriously questions Palpatine's status as the most powerful lose weight when such characters are introduced.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 06:27 PM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
So... inconsistencies are A-OK.

Yeah, f*ck that.

What inconsistencies? Thinking that some older Sith are more powerful, than Palpatine, will always be only an opinion.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 06:29 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

As will the opinion that Palpatine is more powerful than them despite older material being overridden.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 06:58 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

It's never said to be overridden. We only assume it has been overridden. There hasn't been a single statement which said Vitiate, Bane, or Nihilus were indeed the most powerful ever, while on the other hand various sources, even if considered fallible, have stated this. Why would they do this? Why would writers write such things if they didn't believe it themselves? It makes no sense.

"Yeah, all those characters thought Sidious was the most powerful, but really, he wasn't"... It's not logical.

Even if it was Vader's opinion and not the author's, why would the author let us know Vader believes Sidious' to be the most powerful ever if he wasn't? Why would they make many characters think he was the most powerful if he wasn't?

IMO, they are suggesting that he is (if not stating it themselves) by making characters think that he was and by writing it in the New Essential Chronology. I mean, this is a credible chronology, created by the historical council of a galactic organization that had access to nearly unlimited resources... It's far from being an unsubstantiated or a baseless claim made by a fallible individual.

Why would they do this if it wasn't true? To make us think he was the most powerful and then go, "GOTCHA! He's really not"?

I seriously doubt it.

But that's just my opinion, anyway.

Last edited by Col. Valerian on Jun 11th, 2012 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 07:18 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

I don't get what material was overridden? TOR and Bane were put into unknown past of the EU without affecting older material with later era events in any way.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 07:19 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Major Valerian
It's never said to be overridden. We only assume it has been overridden. There hasn't been a single statement which said Vitiate, Bane, or Nihilus were indeed the most powerful ever, while on the other hand various sources, even if considered fallible, have stated this. Why would they do this? Why would writers write such things if they didn't believe it themselves? It makes no sense.

"Yeah, all those characters thought Sidious was the most powerful, but really, he wasn't"... It's not logical.

Even if it was Vader's opinion and not the author's, why would the author let us know Vader believes Sidious' to be the most powerful ever if he wasn't? Why would they make many characters think he was the most powerful if he wasn't?

IMO, they are suggesting that he is (if not stating it themselves) by making characters think that he was and by writing it in the New Essential Chronology. I mean, this is a credible chronology, created by the historical council of a galactic organization that had access to nearly unlimited resources... It's far from being an unsubstantiated or a baseless claim made by a fallible individual.

Why would they do this if it wasn't true? To make us think he was the most powerful and then go, "GOTCHA! He's really not"?

I seriously doubt it.

But that's just my opinion, anyway.
A.) An official chronology designed within the universe is about as useful and trustworthy as any other character's opinion.

B.) An official chronology designed outside the universe is as subject to being overridden as any piece of source material.

C.) No official at LucasArts gives as much of a rat's ass about canon as any of us. They'll change, add, subtract and f*ck up whatever they wish in order to piece together something 'cool' that will sell.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 07:26 PM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

But it's really not about as useful and trustworthy as any other character's opinion. It depends on who makes the opinion.

Other than that, I know a chronology designed outside the universe can be overridden, but since all of those characters who I believe can defeat different versions of Sidious (Bane, Vitiate, and Nihilus) came before Sidious, it doesn't really matter. It'd be overridden if they came after. That's why, thanks to their feats, we can only assume they'd be able to defeat Sidious and assume they are just as powerful.

Last edited by Col. Valerian on Jun 11th, 2012 at 07:37 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 07:32 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote:

This is reaching, bro. Why would the makers of KotOR write it so that people thought Revan was dead, if he wasn't? Basically, lines about Sidious coming from Vader tell us more about Vader than they do Sidious. I see a character utterly cowed, awestruck by the only person "on his side."

quote:
That's why, thanks to their feats, we can only assume they'd be able to defeat Sidious and assume they are just as powerful.
(Emphasis mine)
quote:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-Aristotle

quote:
It is of course possible that all or any of our beliefs may be mistaken, and therefore all ought to be held with at least some slight element of doubt. But we cannot have reason to reject a belief except on the ground of some other belief.
-Bertrand Russel

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 08:14 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

But that's only Vader, the New Essential Chronology is a lot different.

Anyway, that's why I said it's only my opinion. Nothing can really be done or argued in favour of Sidious without truly infallible evidence, I know that.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 08:27 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Major Valerian
Nothing can really be done or argued in favour of Sidious without truly infallible evidence, I know that.

This is the opposite!

There is no such thing as "truly infallible evidence" and it is only Gideon's specter that wants you to think that there is.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 08:38 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

So I fell for it? Damn you, Gideon.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 08:40 PM
Pwned
That guy

Ignore that. Stupid moment.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 08:48 PM
Click here to Send Pwned a Private Message Find more posts by Pwned Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
A.) An official chronology designed within the universe is about as useful and trustworthy as any other character's opinion.

B.) An official chronology designed outside the universe is as subject to being overridden as any piece of source material.

C.) No official at LucasArts gives as much of a rat's ass about canon as any of us. They'll change, add, subtract and f*ck up whatever they wish in order to piece together something 'cool' that will sell.

Well said

UN...LIMITEEEEEEEED...VOTES!! THAT IS HER TRUE POWER!!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 09:31 PM
Click here to Send Darth Ray Park a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Ray Park Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ray Park
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Battlemaster
What was bad about it? You must be thinking of the Sci-Fi Miniseries. stick out tongue

I actually thought even that was pretty good.

And Children of Dune is a ****ing masterpiece.

Nah I was reffering to the film which i thought was pretty bad (just really boring and theatrical). I also didnt like Balderunenr and thought Prometheus was way better than it and Aliens.

UN...LIMITEEEEEEEED...VOTES!! THAT IS HER TRUE POWER!!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 09:35 PM
Click here to Send Darth Ray Park a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Ray Park Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Bladerunner is amazing. You must not have seen Director's Cut though.

Also, love Blax's anti-Ragnos rant.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2012 12:31 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Zampanó
Kun, Bane, Sion, Raskta Lsu, Odan Urr, potentially Krayt. Malgus. Satele Shan. Edward Elric. Windu. Caedus. Mara Jade.

I'm willing to argue all of those (with the caveat that I haven't played TOR so I'll be copypasting for those characters).

Odan Urr? Rastka Lsu? Mara Jade? I can see the rest succesfully argued for but any of those three should be toast against RotS Sidious IMO.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2012 12:45 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote