KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » How close could thor come to bench pressing the earth once?

How close could thor come to bench pressing the earth once?
Started by: keiththegreat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (24): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Naija boy

Under no type of calculation could the midgard serpent be heavier than earth... Seriously. The earth bench press feat would be the best for even classic Thor let alone current. I can't see marvel giving Thor those who kind of ultra strength feats. Best I can see is them having him hold his own for a time with somebody else that may have the superior feats... Like a greenscar/nul situation.

All thanks goes to starlock.
"Beware trolls, know me and know fear"

Last edited by Naija boy on Dec 16th, 2012 at 08:49 AM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:41 AM
Naija boy is currently offline Click here to Send Naija boy a Private Message Find more posts by Naija boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Sorrow

He also failed to lift the Serpent on another occasion. Thor's absolute best strength feats are fairly average for someone like Superman. IIRC narration once stated Hercules was capable of bench pressing a planet and Thor matched him, although that could be hyperbole. I would be shocked if I saw Thor lift that much weight tbh.

Last edited by The Sorrow on Dec 16th, 2012 at 09:35 AM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:22 AM
The Sorrow is currently offline Click here to Send The Sorrow a Private Message Find more posts by The Sorrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Daredevil1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Sorrow
He also failed to lift the Serpent on another occasion.

IIRC Thor did lift the Serpent on the other occasion.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 03:46 PM
Daredevil1 is currently offline Click here to Send Daredevil1 a Private Message Find more posts by Daredevil1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by leonidas
imo it would be more out of character for thor to perform that type of feat than it would be for kal. i'd be surprised if i saw him do it and i think it would raise more eyebrows and questions of consistency. dcnu clark has been slowly building feats so i don't think this scene stunned me like i guess some were. maybe because there has been precedent for this in dc before.
I agree somewhat with this as in Strength isn't normally Thor's first avenue when he goes high end.

Mostly his biggest High End feats tend to be him calling down extremely powerful blasts or high end absorption.

Where as Superman generally brings forth high end strength/speed feats cause that's what he is known for.

But Thor is still supposed to be incredibly strong so I wouldn't really bat an eye lash if he did something like what DcNU Superman did.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 04:15 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magnon

It would take about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 Thors to lift the Earth.

So yeah, a single Thor doesn't come very close to doing it.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 05:17 PM
Magnon is online now! Click here to Send Magnon a Private Message Find more posts by Magnon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by Magnon
It would take about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 Thors to lift the Earth.

So yeah, a single Thor doesn't come very close to doing it.

Wait, so you're arguing that Superman is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 times stronger than Thor?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 05:43 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

This is a pretty retaaaded feat if it's canon. I mean the narrator saying they're "generating enough pressure to knock the whole planet out of orbit"?!? Thor and Herc aren't even pounding each other. The pressure is coming from their one-armed clasp. That's fukkin astronomical! If that's not planetary strength I don't know what is.
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 06:14 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the Darkone

Thor is not that type of character, Thor is all around versatile character more than Superman, but wouldn't be surprise if Thor does it, it's within his powers and abilities, Marvel doesn't really want too get into strength contest that's not what they are about majority of the time, they will if fits their purpose of the story. Thor lifted the World Engine, Midgard Serpent, resisted the weight of scores of planets, it can be done, but that doesn't mean Superman is stronger than Thor, if he is it wouldn't be by that much for us to notice, they are peers.

IMO Thor, Gladiator, Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Hulk, Hercules can do it, but that's just me!!

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 06:18 PM
the Darkone is currently offline Click here to Send the Darkone a Private Message Find more posts by the Darkone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the Darkone

Originally posted by celeyhyga17
I know it's still not planetary level, but during Siege the Thunderbolts stealth group commented on how everything in Asgard seemed so much heavier than normal. One example they gave were doors. Grizzly who was the strong man of that group complained by saying "Are all the doors here minimum 5 tons? Jeez!!" Besides the land mass, the building and probably many other objects in Asgard were made of very heavy material. Understandable because an ordinary fodder god of Asgard is easily a class 20. Just wanted to add that little tidbit.

Great point, actuallu class 30 and your average Asgardian weighs around 400+ and up, Thor is 640, Sif 435, BRB 495, Loki (Classic) 525, Odin and Bor 650, Buri (Tiwaz) 2216...

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 06:26 PM
the Darkone is currently offline Click here to Send the Darkone a Private Message Find more posts by the Darkone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the Darkone

This is a pretty retaaaded feat if it's canon. I mean the narrator saying they're "generating enough pressure to knock the whole planet out of orbit"?!? Thor and Herc aren't even pounding each other. The pressure is coming from their one-armed clasp. That's fukkin astronomical! If that's not planetary strength I don't know what is.

Thats planteary, if you can affect a planet axis just by arm wrestling that's ridicolus planetary strength... It's within Thor ability to do it, but it wont happen that not his character.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 06:29 PM
SamZED

So is that canon or not?

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 06:32 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Shared feat brah.
Originally posted by SamZED
So is that canon or not?

It was considered an inside joke by the writer and the editor. Your mileage may vary.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 06:57 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

why are all the most impressive thor feats from decades ago?

writers no longer depict thor like they did back in the 70s 80s

use modern thor feats and stop using feats that even Marvel would say no longer represent modern thor

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:01 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by abhilegend
Shared feat brah. .

Each of them are only using one arm brah.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:02 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by Starscream M
why are all the most impressive thor feats from decades ago?

writers no longer depict thor like they did back in the 70s 80s

use modern thor feats and stop using feats that even Marvel would say no longer represent modern thor

As long as the feats are canon, they can use whatever feats they want.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:03 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Silent Master
Each of them are only using one arm brah.

What is that supposed to mean snake-eyes?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:04 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Generally, Thor's best strength feats, imo, are the ones where he's matching someone in strength or overpowering them. He's not really a lifting/pushing/bare handed punch kind of guy, especially nowadays. If you think his older feats "don't count" by virtue of being old, well, that's your prerogative I guess.

That said, Thor's power output/striking power is generally what writers will focus on in terms of his power.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:08 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Generally, Thor's best strength feats, imo, are the ones where he's matching someone in strength or overpowering them. He's not really a lifting/pushing/bare handed punch kind of guy, especially nowadays. If you think his older feats "don't count" by virtue of being old, well, that's your prerogative I guess.

That said, Thor's power output/striking power is generally what writers will focus on in terms of his power.
thats not MY prerogative...its common sense and marvel's prerogative

its clear to any fan that thor has changed and evolved as a character as marvel has evolved as a company

just because they don't do reboots don't mean their characters retain all attributes and feats they've done decades ago

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:11 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by Starscream M
thats not MY prerogative...its common sense and marvel's prerogative

its clear to any fan that thor has changed and evolved as a character as marvel has evolved as a company

just because they don't do reboots don't mean their characters retain all attributes and feats they've done decades ago

Canon is canon. *shrug*

Outside of random ridiculous high end feats, Thor, as have most Marvel characters, has actually gotten more powerful over time.

I will agree that pure physical strength is a secondary concern when it comes to putting over why Thor is "mighty".

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:15 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Originally posted by abhilegend
Shared feat brah.

And? It doesn't make it less impressive. Even though it's a shared feat, he is exerting equal force to Herc which makes it much less muddled. Don't forget, Hulk's HotM indirect planet busting feat is considered one of the most incredibly impressive feats of strength in all comics. In the end it's shared since Betty was on the receiving end of that impact as was Hulk to her.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:18 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote