KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » How close could thor come to bench pressing the earth once?

How close could thor come to bench pressing the earth once?
Started by: keiththegreat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (24): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -K-M-
Wait? The arm-wrestling scan wasn't even on Earth.....

That brings up way to many questions, what's the size of the planet? what's the density of the planet? what's the gravity like? what's the tectonic plates like? etc etc

Yep, it wasn't earth.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:36 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Technically before the latest reboot, DC's precrisis stories were back in continuity, but no one ran around going 'lol superman blows a star across the cosmos with superbreath!1!!'

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:36 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

I personally feel the Superman feat was ridic and commented on it as such in a few other threads. Just so out there, and I have a hard time believing writers will continue to have him at those levels.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:37 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Juntai
I didn't dismiss them, though I take anything silver age/bronze age with a grain of salt. What I said involves the idea that someone can take any few years of Superman and match them to his greatest career feats.
Which is fine, cause let's be honest Superman has always been a feats machine especially for strength, speed, and durability as those are what he is most known for.

And while it's not always the main or only reason that fact is still a big reason why fans enjoy reading him. They want to see him do tons of feats that are ridiculous.

And it doesn't matter cause that doesn't invalidate another character's feats which clearly put them in Superman's power range or close to it.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:45 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

I personally feel the Superman feat was ridic and commented on it as such in a few other threads. Just so out there, and I have a hard time believing writers will continue to have him at those levels.

I always said there are outlier feats. That's obviously one of them or else Supes will be tossing planets on a regular basis. For the purpose of this thread, all I'm saying is that it's not impossible to accept if Thor could press earth weight or at least come close to it solely going by his strength feats.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:45 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by Newjak
Which is fine, cause let's be honest Superman has always been a feats machine especially for strength, speed, and durability as those are what he is most known for.

And while it's not always the main or only reason that fact is still a big reason why fans enjoy reading him. They want to see him do tons of feats that are ridiculous.

And it doesn't matter cause that doesn't invalidate another character's feats which clearly put them in Superman's power range or close to it.
When their mightiest moments in 50 years[especially most being over 20 years old] are just average for him any given couple of years, it puts them in perspective. It tells me their average isn't close to his.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:46 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Well, I just don't think he's been depowered much at all, once they started to get past the 'year one' type of stories.

This was a bit before the reboot.
. . . . even though Superman said he could do it years ago;
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/...nchPressing.jpg

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:48 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Hulk in the last couple of years is the only one to match Superman's consistency involving big time in and out of combat feats, and it took canonically the strongest version of the character to match those averages.
Do you think Thor is in this bracket, honestly?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:49 PM
-K-M-

Well, I just don't think he's been depowered much at all, once they started to by the 'year one' type of stories.

This was a bit before the reboot.

Yeah but saying something and doing something are two different things. Besides he didn't say he would do it for 5 days and while weakened.

I do agree with you on average Superman does far higher things then Thor though. As you mentioned if they have to go 20+ years for a comparable feat, the average isn't the same.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:51 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

The Midgard Serpent has been calc'd before.

It came out to the tens of quintillions of tons range. Not even 200 quintillion tons like All-Star Superman (which in itself is only about ~3% of the Earth's weight).

It's one of Thor's most notable strength feats, but you have to go back that far just to find an object that's heavy enough for him to lift, that still doesn't let him compare as favorably to Current Superman as a toddler compares to Louis Cyr.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:58 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Technically before the latest reboot, DC's precrisis stories were back in continuity, but no one ran around going 'lol superman blows a star across the cosmos with superbreath!1!!'

This gave me an idea. You know what things happened exactly the same way in post-crisis history as in silver age. Here superman remembers the death and resurrection of lightning lad as it happned in silver age

(please log in to view the image)

Proof

Now everything pre-crisis is canon for superman!

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:00 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

When their mightiest moments in 50 years[especially most being over 20 years old] are just average for him any given couple of years, it puts them in perspective. It tells me their average isn't close to his.
It mostly just tells me they are different characters with different types of stories.

While Thor doesn't have tons of strength he does have them, and he has always been considered one of the stronger herald level characters.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:01 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by abhilegend
This gave me an idea. You know what things happened exactly the same way in post-crisis history as in silver age. Here superman remembers the death and resurrection of lightning lad as it happned in silver age

Now everything pre-crisis is canon for superman!
Of course. I believe it was Batman who said he remembered fighting Mordru in JLA volume 1 as well.

Last edited by Juntai on Dec 16th, 2012 at 09:05 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:02 PM
zopzop
Lord of the Great Abyss

Originally posted by SamZED
Iirc from that scan the Midgard serpent circled the earth few times, Thor not only lifted it but broke its grip. I wont be stunned if some writer has Thor or Glads replicate that feat tbh. Not more surprised than when DCnU Supes did it out of the blue.

Thor failed to lift the Midgard Serpent before, the best he could manage was a "paw" of it.

Thor needed help to lift Asgard and even then it looked like something "magical" was happening with Mjolnir and Stormbreaker.

Thor was struggling to lift the frame skyscraper (he may have been poisoned by Mongoose though can't remember).

The "World Engine" feat reminds me of Herc's "lifting the Sky feat" how do you quantify it?

His best lifting feat (?) was pulling the Midgard Serpent off the Earth.

IMHO I don't think Thor will be lifting anything anywhere near planet size in the near future.

..even the outer hells are indifferent matters for they bow only to potent and archaic Nodens.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:02 PM
zopzop is currently offline Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Of course. I believe it was Batman who said he remembered fighting Mordru in JLA volume 1 as well.

Yep, but as far as marvel fanboys are concerned it isn't canon despite it being spelled out for everyone.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:04 PM
CosmicComet

A Toddler. To Louis Cyr.

That is a smaller strength gap than Midgard Serpent lifting Thor vs Current Superman.

Herald level is just a non-canon fan made term that's part of an attempt at creating tiers so thread making can be a bit more regulated.

It makes people lazy and just assume parity or near parity when they see people written in the same list--even when its cross-company.

Actually compare the strength feats and you'll see there isn't really a parity at all, best for best. Maybe there's a parity in an average vs best scenario, but that's a best case scenario.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:09 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by CosmicComet
A Toddler. To Louis Cyr.

That is a smaller strength gap than Midgard Serpent lifting Thor vs Current Superman.

Herald level is just a non-canon fan made term that's part of an attempt at creating tiers so thread making can be a bit more regulated.

It makes people lazy and just assume parity or near parity when they see people written in the same list--even when its cross-company.

Actually compare the strength feats and you'll see there isn't really a parity at all, best for best. Maybe there's a parity in an average vs best scenario, but that's a best case scenario.
thumb up

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:12 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by CosmicComet
A Toddler. To Louis Cyr.

What began to set Superman apart from the crowd was the addition of Doomsday and Darkseid to his mythology.

Darkseid, a cosmic god more powerful than the Olympian and Norse gods, that they're even terrified of his name. That created Stayne out of the palm of a his cosmic fist.

And Doomsday, who makes Darkseid feel the same way. Who can walk over 'high heralds' and even godlike beings with nearly equal ease.

Now, Superman's 'average' isn't even close to Doomsday. He literally has pump his power at a rate he just can't maintain to even survive for a period against him, it even killed him the first time. And he's often still at a disadvantage.

Last edited by Juntai on Dec 16th, 2012 at 09:19 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:17 PM
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

I'm honestly surprised the myth of the "Midgard Serpent" feat still persists.

It's, quite simply, baffling.

How many people here have actually read the issue where Thor does this?

Because this might be the biggest 'myth' on this forum. Ever.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 10:08 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
Lord of the Great Abyss

Originally posted by Philosophía
I'm honestly surprised the myth of the "Midgard Serpent" feat still persists.

It's, quite simply, baffling.

How many people here have actually read the issue where Thor does this?

Because this might be the biggest 'myth' on this forum. Ever.

What do you mean?

..even the outer hells are indifferent matters for they bow only to potent and archaic Nodens.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 10:20 PM
zopzop is currently offline Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote