KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Grant Morrison's Multiversity

Grant Morrison's Multiversity
Started by: Golgo13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 8 9 [10]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
going back--i find the first lines in the book interesting. the story goes on--with or without you. so i suppose that means the ideas have already been introduced and there is no getting rid of them. in a sense it would seem the gentry--or TEH--won...?
Yeah, think so.

The Gentry/TEH are now so deeply rooted in the DC continuum that they no longer require characters to read Ultra Comics to spread--they are completely self-sustaining.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 6th, 2015 01:41 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sj_Sharp

After I've read both FC and the Multiversity Guidebook, I'd like to discuss about the origin of the DC Multiverse; I know I'm late because you guys were already discussing about the latest events of Multiversity, but I'd like to take a step back and focus the whole argument once again on the Primal Monitor/Dax Novu/Mandrakk/Monitors concepts.

So guys, let me see if I understood everything properly.
In the Multiversity Guidebook we see Kamandi readig and explaining us how basically the DC Multiverse and storyline formed: a flaw is discovered in the immaculate perfection which is the Primal Monitor, or Monitor-mind, or Overvoid (the white page where stories are written). The flaw seems to be one universe and the Overvoid acts by containing it in a "bottle", which we actually know to now be the Orrery of Worlds.
As it can be seen in page 16 of the Guidebook,

(please log in to view the image)

the Orrery is initially nearly empty, since the flaw basically represents the original universe; however, while Monitor-mind is perfection, the flaw is "everything perfection is not" and it is described as the Anti-Monitor. This is a focal point and where we have to pay attention: Anti-Monitor here is not the well-known character but it is a way to call the flaw, which is described to be the "Story Machine", i.e. the "place" where the story itself of comics develops, based on dualities and conflicts, i.e. based on everything which is opposite to the perfect Monitor-mind (and thus, from this it comes such "Anti-Monitor" definition for the flaw itself).
Then, always from page 16 of the Multiversity Guidebook, we see that, in the containing bottle (the Orrery), the flaw develops into countless universes, with a multiverse which thus is born ("And so begin all things with a Flash").

At this point, in order to study the countless worlds generated from the initial flaw, the Overvoid extends its first and most powerful probe, science Monitor Dax Novu (and here is exact the point where the description of the Primal Monitor and Dax Novu also starts in FC Superman Beyond #1).
At this moment, the Multiverse consists of countless universes, still the Radiant one (as it is described Dax Novu in FC) with its limitelss powers granted by the Overvoid catalogues and numbers each universe; however, by doing so, as reported in the scans above, it is contaminated and infected by the narrative of the flaw, and split in two: is it here implied that Dax Novu split in the Monitor and Anti-Monitor of COIE? I personally think so.
As the flaw represented the opposite (Anti) of the Overvoid, in the same way the effect of the narrative of he flaw over Dax Novu caused its orginal perfection (remember that it is a probe of the Overvoid) to split in two once again, giving thus apparently orgin to the Monitor and the Anti-Monitor of the Crisis of Infinite Earths.
However, from FC Superman Beyond #1 we also know that, after its split, Dax Novu somehow was still there and, corrupted by the concept of "story", withdrew from reality again into the Overvoid.
The dualities of stories infected Dax Novu and gave origin to the very idea of Mandrakk: as the original perfection gets corrupted, good and evil develop in it and Dax Novu knew its nature would have been to "devour" the Orrery it was initially instructed to map; thus, before definitive withdrawal, it scabbed the flaw with "divine metals", which correspond to Thought Robot.

As consolidated by this time, Mandrakk represents what happens when the page (throughout its probe) gets corrupted and evolves as a self-assembling hyper story, while TR is the opposite, as the embodiment of the most powerful story ever written which only can save existence.
To protect itself from the spreading of the flaw and furthere analyze it, the Overvoid then thought the whole race of Monitors along with the Monitors Sphere: Dax Novu had a son from Zillo Valla who was named Nix Uotan and, to all the Monitors it demonstrated their true nature; but they refused to believe it and Novu thus entered its own tomb in the Overvoid, letting the concept of Mandrakk take totally over and feeding on the eternal powers of the Ultramenstruum Bleed, probably by means of the four channels, directed to the Overvoid, that we can see in the multiversity map.

Meanwhile, the Thought Robot stood at the verge of the Source Wall for eons, with the circle of Monitors studying it trying to understand what it really was.

While Mandrakk was in his tomb and the TR stood there "rusting", the DCU got rebooted many times, with nobody remembering it with the obvious exception of the Monitors, who kept a record of each reboot and (surely casually stick out tongue) stored it in Earth-33.

It all started with COIE, where the multiverse mapped by Dax Novu became an universe once more; then, through Parallax and other events, reality changed and was rebooted again and again, until the 52-universes configuration was reached, with the contemporary Orrery of Worlds now containing 52 distincte universes.
Comparing the number of universes contained in the Orrery at the right of the CA, in the scan reported below, to the initial Orrery depicted in the previous scans, it is evident how the number of universes clearly got reduced.

At this point, the events of Final Crisis occurred: Mandrakk Dax Novu came out of its tomb in the Overvoid and faced Thought Robot Superman on the edge of it: the first and weakest attack Mandrakk unleashed on the TR contained the blood of 52 universes, yet the fight lasted 10 more pages, and each page both Mandrakk and the CA became exponentially stronger adapting to each other, with Mandrakk displaying the power of something which can map the countless universes of the original multiverse and of something which fed on the Bleed for eons and with the TR capable to adapt (albeit barely) to this level of power, as Dax Novu itself originally designed it.
Dax Novu then gets threw back into the Primal Monitor and gets erased, however, until even just one Monitor remains, their dualities and corruption remain with them: Rox Ogama drank from the bitter cup of Mandrakk, becoming Mandrakk II, drained Spectre and Radiant and only a storyline alteration by means of the Miracle Machine could stop it.
At the same time, Uotan showed the other Monitors their true nature once again, only that this time they understand and the whole Monitors Sphere vanishes; Nix Uotan remains the only avatar of Primal Monitor in the DCU and becomes the multiversal protector Superjudge.
From this point, the events of Multiversity that you guys were talking about begin to occurr.

So, for who has read FC, the Guidebook and also had time to read my long rant, what do you think?
I think that Morrison retconnection of the whole of DCU events came out a quite nice job, however it can be really hard to fit together all the timeline events (with multiple authors involved in it): personally, on the basis or what we are given in FC and in the Multiversity Guidebook, I think this is the explanation that makes the most sense, but does it really, actually make it?
I'm really interested in listening your opinions.
Thanks in advance.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2015 07:13 PM
Sj_Sharp is currently offline Click here to Send Sj_Sharp a Private Message Find more posts by Sj_Sharp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote