KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Grant Morrison's Multiversity

Grant Morrison's Multiversity
Started by: Golgo13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So, eh... Anyone have some theories as to what this creature from Multiversity #1 might be?:
(please log in to view the image)

It was noticed by the heroes and then immediately put on the backburner when they transported to Earth-8.

I initially thought because of its multi-dimensional nature(it was existing in a few universes simultaneously there) that it might be the 'leader' of the Gentry. Then I thought it might have been a different iteration of Hellmachine, as a few of its tendrils can be seen [presumably] encroaching on the 'House of Heroes' universe:
http://i.imgur.com/MksPIje.png

And it was Hellmachine who ultimately destroyed the HoH during the Guidebook:
http://i.imgur.com/mb6fbIR.jpg

Heck, I even went all the way back to Morrison's run on Batman RIP, wherein every time Bat-Mite appeared to Bruce, a green-skinned creature of unrevealed origin can be seen clinging to his back:
http://i.imgur.com/BuF7Xd5.png
http://i.imgur.com/TCBsmOi.png
Perhaps that was the creature in its infancy, and Multiversity depicted the same creature in adulthood..?

It's a huge stretch, I know, but this was the same story in which Morrison gave us this epic line:
Batman: "Are you really an alien Hyper-Imp from the 5th Dimension... Or are you just a figment of my imagination?"
Bat-Mite: "Imagination is the 5th Dimension."
http://i.imgur.com/ZmMzN66.jpg
...And thought-powered/imagination-fueled concepts are obviously a big component of Multiversity.
x2

Regardless, that creature has got to be significant.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 5th, 2015 at 12:53 AM

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 12:48 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Batman: "Are you really an alien Hyper-Imp from the 5th Dimension... Or are you just a figment of my imagination?"
Such genius and he just throws it out like it's ****ing easy.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 01:02 AM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Also, my initial thought was its the Gentry.
I dunno if I wanna go back through all the bat-titles and 52 and final crisis and superman and stuff just to find it. It'll dawn on me when it happens. lol.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 01:04 AM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 06:08 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by ares834
What great hand cast the lighnting and remade the world?

Well seems we have our answer.

stick out tongue

huh

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 06:53 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
operator616

So, eh... Anyone have some theories as to what this creature from Multiversity #1 might be?:

It was noticed by the heroes and then immediately put on the backburner when they transported to Earth-8.

I initially thought because of its multi-dimensional nature(it was existing in a few universes simultaneously there) that it might be the 'leader' of the Gentry. Then I thought it might have been a different iteration of Hellmachine, as a few of its tendrils can be seen [presumably] encroaching on the 'House of Heroes' universe:

Heck, I even went all the way back to Morrison's run on Batman RIP, wherein every time Bat-Mite appeared to Bruce, a green-skinned creature of unrevealed origin can be seen clinging to his back:
Perhaps that was the creature in its infancy, and Multiversity depicted the same creature in adulthood..?

It's a huge stretch, I know, but this was the same story in which Morrison gave us this epic line:
...And thought-powered/imagination-fueled concepts are obviously a big component of Multiversity.
x2

Interesting observation.

Although regarding the monster in the Batman RIP arc, Morrison said it in an interview that it was Bat Mite's true 5th dimensional form/shape:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=41634

Originally posted by ares834

This reminds me...

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 01:52 PM
operator616 is currently offline Click here to Send operator616 a Private Message Find more posts by operator616 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

nice. thumb up doubt it's a coincidence.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 02:41 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

x2

well, i'd always just assumed it was a sign of the infection that was spreading. just one of the horrible things that had been unleashed in the spaces between universes as a result of what was going on. i figure it was just a symptom, noting of real importance.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 02:43 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by operator616
Interesting observation.

Although regarding the monster in the Batman RIP arc, Morrison said it in an interview that it was Bat Mite's true 5th dimensional form/shape:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=41634
This article gives us some insight regarding Multiversity, actually.

Morrison: "The imagination is the fifth dimension. I was proposing the notion the fifth dimension is in your mind."

This might explain why the 5th dimension isn't listed on his Map of the Multiverse. After all, how can one possibly represent/depict the readers' individual minds on a 2-D map? It might also explain why The Gentry were referred to as 5-D beings--they represent various evil/maniacal 'thoughts' that infect the minds of their host-readers(both fictional and RL.) Heck, even if we go back to Action Comics #17, we see that 5-D tech(in the form of Super-Doomsday) is 'fueled' by the same basic concept as The Gentry: thought... Heh, I suppose this would also make Ultra a 5-D being as well. /shrug

Very nice. thumb up

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 11:09 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Reposting the Multiversity #2 variant cover:

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 10th, 2015 at 02:17 AM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 02:14 AM
Senor Cage

Old Post Apr 27th, 2015 05:24 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Old Post Apr 27th, 2015 08:43 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Not overly impressed with the final issue--it was WAY too abrupt/rushed, imo. Although the stage is definitely set for a "Multiversity II"... So maybe we'll have that to look forward to in another 6+ years.

Also, a little more clarification was given about this creature:

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 12:02 PM
john allerdyce
Whore!

Not overly impressed with the final issue--it was WAY too abrupt/rushed, imo. Although the stage is definitely set for a "Multiversity II"... So maybe we'll have that to look forward to in another 6+ years.
Where would you rank it compared to the other Multiversity comics?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 01:32 PM
john allerdyce is currently offline Click here to Send john allerdyce a Private Message Find more posts by john allerdyce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by john allerdyce
Where would you rank it compared to the other Multiversity comics?
For me, it was the weakest issue of the series. It left too many unanswered questions for my taste.

-Specifically what/who is The Empty Hand?
-What did The Empty Hand mean when he said their previous victim was Multiverse-2?
-Why are there multiple versions of each member of The Gentry?
-What exactly does the Oblivion Machine do, and why were the Gentry constructing it on Earth-7?
-Where the f*ck did Quantum Superman go?
-etc. etc.

I mean, Morrison had 6ish years to write this story. He could have tidied things up much better, imo.

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 29th, 2015 at 01:56 PM

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 01:43 PM
Senor Cage

Why were the Gentry so easy to take down the second time?

Looks like we MIGHT get a sequel to the story. Hope Morrison does it.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 08:17 PM
kevdude
The Hooded Man

Yeah I hope Newarama or someone else interviews Grant here in a week or so and asks him some/or all of these questions. Seems like this is just the first half of Multiversity.

The Word

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 08:25 PM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Golgo13
Why were the Gentry so easy to take down the second time?
I think that was because The Empty Hand willed it so. Despite being at half-strength at the time, Superman even commented that 'beating' The Gentry was "too easy." So yeah...

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 10:47 PM
Senor Cage

Does anyone think the Empty Hand is just Morrison himself?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 10:51 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

No. Staying in-line with the context of the story thus far, I believe The Empty Hand's identity would be far more metatextually complex then that.

TEH controls The Gentry--they are his puppets/slaves. At a base level, The Gentry are essentially demonized ideas spawned by the negative components of the human condition. I believe TEH is a similar concept--a rogue thought/idea so powerful that it can transcend the story itself and even create/weaponize thought-forms, like The Gentry. That said, to deduce TEH's true identity would likely require you to deduce which negative aspect of self/thought/idea takes precedence over those embodied by The Gentry. Solve that, and you might have a shot at solving Morrison's puzzle. wink

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 29th, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 11:26 PM