KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Alien: Covenant

Alien: Covenant
Started by: steverules_2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (64): « First ... « 59 60 [61] 62 63 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Esau Cairn
Contagious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ascendancy
And the entirety of the planet's population gathered in one spot to be goo'd. The planet's population was so small that they could all be gotten in one go. They planet was a magical one where no one was indoors when this happened, so no one survived to come after him. There were no consequences.

As bad as the film was...I think you're really stretching the absurdity to hate it even more.

I didn't get the impression the entire population was gathered in one spot.

The impression I got was that a long lost ship had finally returned home & family, friends & those concerned had gathered to witness its arrival.
Like you'd do at an airport or wharf.

And the fact that the goo was dropped from a significant height kinda gives the impression it was carried by the wind & spread throughout the entire city & NOT the entire population just happened to be standing in one spot.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 03:27 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
As bad as the film was...I think you're really stretching the absurdity to hate it even more.

I didn't get the impression the entire population was gathered in one spot.

The impression I got was that a long lost ship had finally returned home & family, friends & those concerned had gathered to witness its arrival.
Like you'd do at an airport or wharf.

And the fact that the goo was dropped from a significant height kinda gives the impression it was carried by the wind & spread throughout the entire city & NOT the entire population just happened to be standing in one spot.

So again, no one was indoors and survived? There were no sealed labs where other experiments were going on that kept those actually most likely to mount a response alive to do so? I mean, I just want you to understand how ridiculous that assumption is. Most of the major pharmaceutical research, packaging, and processing companies have facilities whose workers would have survived this, let alone military labs, and that's here, on earth, with much less advanced, galaxy spanning travel capable technology. What an absolute farce that David, built by humanity, all by himself, outsmarted the entirety of the Engineer population there.

And the friends & family thing? What a crock. The Engineers have showed zero bordering on the kind of emotional connection that would lead an entire group like that to gather just to watch a ship return. You're stretching absurdity to throw that claim in when zero that happened in Prometheus supports it.

Last edited by Ascendancy on Jun 11th, 2017 at 09:49 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2017 09:46 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

So again, no one was indoors and survived? There were no sealed labs where other experiments were going on that kept those actually most likely to mount a response alive to do so? I mean, I just want you to understand how ridiculous that assumption is. Most of the major pharmaceutical research, packaging, and processing companies have facilities whose workers would have survived this, let alone military labs, and that's here, on earth, with much less advanced, galaxy spanning travel capable technology. What an absolute farce that David, built by humanity, all by himself, outsmarted the entirety of the Engineer population there.

You're really making a big deal out of nothing.
After all we're talking about a flashback scene that only lasted seconds on screen.

Ok I'll humour your logic.
In Prometheus, the Engineers set up their research lab & weapons depot ON ANOTHER PLANET because they knew how dangerous the goo was.

But you want to believe they developed bio-weapons in the heart of the city...okaaay.

And we do see inside one of the major dwellings where David lived.
Nothing high tech, everything carved from stone. Wide open entrance with no doors to close, holes cut in the walls for windows with no glass to seal shut.

Hell, David was doing his xenomorph experiments in what look like a cellar not a high tech science laboratory.

Lastly you don't have to be a genius to outsmart another race...you just have to press a button to bombard them with a dangerous weapon.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2017 03:53 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

And the friends & family thing? What a crock. The Engineers have showed zero bordering on the kind of emotional connection that would lead an entire group like that to gather just to watch a ship return. You're stretching absurdity to throw that claim in when zero that happened in Prometheus supports it.

Watch that scene again.
Those that gathered at the landing clearly showed emotion akin to joy & excitement. Some were waving, others were talking amongst themselves smiling.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2017 03:56 AM
Ascendancy

You're really making a big deal out of nothing.
After all we're talking about a flashback scene that only lasted seconds on screen.

Ok I'll humour your logic.
In Prometheus, the Engineers set up their research lab & weapons depot ON ANOTHER PLANET because they knew how dangerous the goo was.

But you want to believe they developed bio-weapons in the heart of the city...okaaay.

And we do see inside one of the major dwellings where David lived.
Nothing high tech, everything carved from stone. Wide open entrance with no doors to close, holes cut in the walls for windows with no glass to seal shut.

Hell, David was doing his xenomorph experiments in what look like a cellar not a high tech science laboratory.

Lastly you don't have to be a genius to outsmart another race...you just have to press a button to bombard them with a dangerous weapon.

So the returning ship is the only thing on the planet that would have been sealed in a way to survive the effects of the goo? There would have been nowhere else in the city or on the planet(s) that David did this to that would have been capable of surviving it? That's a ridiculous assertion and it's part of the reason this movie is being called the joke that it is.

As to the sudden emotion I'm going to chalk that up to more of Scott's foolery. I'm not saying that they were machines, but as solemn as they are even watching their own die to seed planets I do not believe they'd turn into giddy humans when a few friends return from space.

The movie is garbage and 99% of the tropes in it are garbage. I'm not going to agree with you that anything about David wiping out the entirety of the Engineer civilization makes sense. What's even worse is that the crashed ship in Alien has a space jockey in it, meaning that he piloted the ship there with the face huggers in tow. So David killed them all... except a lone survivor... who helped him to continue spreading them across the universe. Riiiiiiight.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2017 08:45 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Christ this franchise has the biggest pussies for fans, and I thought Trekkies were bad.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jun 15th, 2017 10:43 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

So the returning ship is the only thing on the planet that would have been sealed in a way to survive the effects of the goo? There would have been nowhere else in the city or on the planet(s) that David did this to that would have been capable of surviving it?

Once again I'm going to try & apply logic to your reasoning.

Why exactly would the returning ship NEED to be sealed from the effects of the goo?

It had only one passenger. A SYNTHETIC who WASN'T susceptible to the goo...much less being impregnated by a face hugger.

Plus Davis deliberately chose the heart of the city as a target because he wanted to be seen as a God, superior to the Engineers...prior to destroying them.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2017 12:42 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

As to the sudden emotion I'm going to chalk that up to more of Scott's foolery. I'm not saying that they were machines, but as solemn as they are even watching their own die to seed planets I do not believe they'd turn into giddy humans when a few friends return from space.

I'm assuming The Engineers procreate like humans.
They're not cloned or hatched from eggs.
I assume they go from foetus to infant to child...teenager to adulthood.
I further assume they bond as a family unit & possibly experience every emotion humans do...

So as solemn as they appear, going to another planet with the sole intention of destroying it, I really really don't think they'd be bringing their partners & offspring with them & treating it like a picnic.

Seriously do soldiers bring their wives & children to war?

Old Post Jun 16th, 2017 12:51 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

The film is really not worth arguing over or even discussing. It's a piece of shit, plain and simple.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2017 02:18 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I know...I know.

But even a crap film does deserve a bit of merit & logic applied to it.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2017 08:28 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This says it all...

Attachment: alien covenant vs prometheus.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Jun 18th, 2017 12:26 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
This says it all...

Ya, dem box office returns should = temporary death of the Alien franchise/reboot at some point in the future.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2017 12:39 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by carthage
Christ this franchise has the biggest pussies for fans, and I thought Trekkies were bad.

How is being a "Pussy" complaining about a films problems?

Old Post Jun 18th, 2017 03:14 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Once again I'm going to try & apply logic to your reasoning.

Why exactly would the returning ship NEED to be sealed from the effects of the goo?

It had only one passenger. A SYNTHETIC who WASN'T susceptible to the goo...much less being impregnated by a face hugger.

Plus Davis deliberately chose the heart of the city as a target because he wanted to be seen as a God, superior to the Engineers...prior to destroying them.

It has nothing to do with the ship, it's that with their technology it's ridiculous to believe that everything on their planet is wide open to anything biological or viral that chooses to meander across it. It's utterly ridiculous.

Whatever the case there's still the massive plot hole of an Engineer ship somehow there when Ripley & Co. set down, filled with eggs. Scott apparently claimed sometime back that the Engineers used it as a bomber and dropped the eggs on enemies, places for experimentation, etc., except now he shows David creating the aliens and wiping the Engineers out.

The movie is trash from start to finish.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2017 11:34 PM
Ascendancy

Originally posted by Kazenji
How is being a "Pussy" complaining about a films problems?

You should just ignore him. Literally if it isn't his point of view he doesn't want to hear about it. You'll get nowhere trying to have a rational discussion with him.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2017 11:35 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by John Murdoch
Ya, dem box office returns should = temporary death of the Alien franchise/reboot at some point in the future.
China will save this movie.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2017 11:45 PM
juggernaut74 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Ascendancy complaining about the movie for 5 pages straight like Quanchi spamming threads is clearly a sign of his own rationality. We get the point you and Leech hate the film. How many more ways can you possibly type that out to elucidate the post further?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 12:20 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by juggernaut74
China will save this movie.

It very well might combined with Japan. But hopefully they've smelled the odor from other countries by now and decide to wait for streaming or rental.

And even if China and Japan do save it and manage to give the film a slight profit, I think Fox and company have gotten a clear message that this did not go over well with most fans and certainly didn't have the positive impact that they had hoped it would.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 12:31 AM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I'd rather they kept the AVP series going, mix in the Engineers and make it a 3 way battle.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 12:51 AM
juggernaut74 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by juggernaut74
I'd rather they kept the AVP series going, mix in the Engineers and make it a 3 way battle.

Ordinarily I would say Hell No, but since they bungled it so horribly an AVP collaboration would have been much better.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 06:51 PM