KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Emperor Vitiate, Exar Kun and Darth Sidious Vs Revan,Luke Skywalker and Yoda

Emperor Vitiate, Exar Kun and Darth Sidious Vs Revan,Luke Skywalker and Yoda
Started by: Fated Xtasy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ulic's really underrated it seems.

Holding off an enraged and powerful Jedi while cut off from the Force, physically frail and not having touched a lightsaber for years is hardly anything to laugh at.

There's no finer feat of pure talent with a lightsaber in the mythos. Not by a long shot. Unless you can name one...

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 01:13 AM
Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
There's no finer feat of pure talent with a lightsaber in the mythos.

I don't even know what you mean by this.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 01:19 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

If you're asking for a force user who fights as well as Ulic without the force, then off course you won't get one as the vast majority of force users never are cut off from the force. However, that alone does not mean Ulic is the most skilled duelist ever. Plenty of other characters have accolades suggesting they are incredibly skilled such as Mace Windu or Kas'im.

Last edited by ares834 on Mar 19th, 2014 at 01:39 AM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 01:36 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Any feat that demonstrates technical brilliance.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 01:38 AM
Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

funny you should mention Ulic, he was originally going to be on the Jedi team until I replaced him with Luke lol

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 01:52 AM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Isn't Niman the form that's pretty crappy, but its said that an extremely high level of mastery grants you incredible prowess since you have no weaknesses and only strengths? Or is that Shii-Cho?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 02:44 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I've never seen that stated for either form...

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 03:08 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Yep, Niman is supposed to be balanced. No strengths but no weaknesses.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 03:12 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Yeah, Niman is supposed to be balanced, but in at least 3 different sources it was outright stated that masters of other styles consider it to be "insufficiently demanding". It was also stated that a Niman expert defeating a Makashi expert would be "nearly impossible", despite the former incorporating bits of every style(sans Juyo/Vaapad.)

I've always thought of Niman as one of the shittiest forms, tbh. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 19th, 2014 at 03:24 AM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 03:19 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Just flipped through Jedi Path and saw the Makashi quote; it appears Lord Stark was correct. Pretty stupid TBH.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 03:24 AM
The_Tempest

Holding off an enraged and powerful Jedi while cut off from the Force, physically frail and not having touched a lightsaber for years is hardly anything to laugh at.

There's no finer feat of pure talent with a lightsaber in the mythos. Not by a long shot. Unless you can name one...

Pre Vizsla.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 12:56 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I think I might have been thinking about Shii-Cho. Isn't that what Kit Fisto uses and is hardcore crazy good with?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 01:19 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by ares834
Just flipped through Jedi Path and saw the Makashi quote; it appears Lord Stark was correct. Pretty stupid TBH.

Yeah that's strange. Wasn't Niman Darth Maul's original form which Plaguies praised his skills for?

Also Starkiller II used the form, as well as Ataro. So it seems to me Jar Kai users will be primarily Niman and Ataro users. And given some feats we saw in TCW Season 5, Jar Kai can definitely be a deadly form.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 01:31 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by Nephthys
I think I might have been thinking about Shii-Cho. Isn't that what Kit Fisto uses and is hardcore crazy good with?

"For superior balance, use the Niman form. This form has no specific strengths, but no weaknesses either."- Master Kavar

Is this what you are thinking of?

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Yeah that's strange. Wasn't Niman Darth Maul's original form which Plaguies praised his skills for?

Also Starkiller II used the form, as well as Ataro. So it seems to me Jar Kai users will be primarily Niman and Ataro users. And given some feats we saw in TCW Season 5, Jar Kai can definitely be a deadly form.

Niman is great in conjunction with another form, particularly when using a dual bladed weapon but that's just it. Maul was a Master of Juyo and Niman. Starkiller was Ataru and Niman. Niman is just a pre-req for Jar' Kai if I am not mistaken.

The North Remembers

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 02:29 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Lord Stark

Niman is great in conjunction with another form, particularly when using a dual bladed weapon but that's just it. Maul was a Master of Juyo and Niman. Starkiller was Ataru and Niman. Niman is just a pre-req for Jar' Kai if I am not mistaken.

Ah right so your saying it's useless if it's used without evolving it into Jar Kai. Or blending it with another form. Gotcha.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 03:47 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
The idea that Exar Kun, Mr. Super Competitive and Headstrong, would use Niman kind of boggles the mind

I imagine it went something like this:

VODO: Exar Kun, have you chosen a lightsabre form to specialize in?

EXAR: Yes Master Vodo. I shall specialize in Niman.

VODO: (thinks) Good. Perhaps he's finally learned to curb that competitive streak.

VODO: (aloud) A fine choice my apprentice.

EXAR: Thank you Master. I am certain I can raise the Form's level of bladework with sufficient training and when I do so the style's overall versatility will give me an edge.

VODO: (mutters) I should have known...

EXAR: What was that Master Vodo?

VODO: Nothing. Nothing at all.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 04:10 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

lol

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 04:11 PM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I think some people might be getting the wrong impression.

It's not that a Niman master can't be amazingly skillful--they certainly can be(examples have already been provided.) Heck, a master of any form can be a badass. The problem with Niman in particular is that it is 'insufficiently demanding' for what your getting. Why? Well for one, it takes a minimum of 10 years of non-stop practice exclusively with Niman to master it:
http://imgur.com/MYYM52Q
...And its major emphasis isn't even on bladework.

Compare this to some of the other, more useful, powerful, and all around better forums(namely Forms I, III, IV, and V) that only take a few years of practice to perfect, and you can see why training on Niman for no less than a decade seems like a complete waste:
http://imgur.com/a722QOl

There just isn't much 'bank for your buck':
http://imgur.com/XhDd2HR

Niman is, however, the foundation of Jar'Kai--which is likely its best-suited use throughout the mythos:
http://imgur.com/XXfA2Ok

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 19th, 2014 at 04:45 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 04:39 PM
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

The idea that Exar Kun used such an impractical form simply isn't compatible with the source material, so we can either question whether Exar Kun truly was simply a Niman master, or whether Niman was as ineffective as those sources would indicate.

Either way this doesn't really change anything.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:06 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by The_Tempest
Pre Vizsla.
He was the first I thought of as well. The fact that he isn't even a force-adept, yet possesses sufficient swordsmanship to give top-tier Jedi/Sith a run for their money, is astounding.

The idea that Exar Kun used such an impractical form simply isn't compatible with the source material, so we can either question whether Exar Kun truly was simply a Niman master, or whether Niman was as ineffective as those sources would indicate.

Either way this doesn't really change anything.
Again, Niman masters aren't 'ineffective'. Get that notion out of your head.

Niman as a form is simply more impractical to master(relative to many of the other forms) because of the time it takes to perfect in comparison to what you're ultimately attaining. Ten years is a LONG time--it didn't take Mace Windu much longer than that to both develop and master Vaapad, for example.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 19th, 2014 at 05:18 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:09 PM