KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Emperor Vitiate, Exar Kun and Darth Sidious Vs Revan,Luke Skywalker and Yoda

Emperor Vitiate, Exar Kun and Darth Sidious Vs Revan,Luke Skywalker and Yoda
Started by: Fated Xtasy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Stark
"For superior balance, use the Niman form. This form has no specific strengths, but no weaknesses either."- Master Kavar

Is this what you are thinking of?

Nope. I know theres a form that crappy but becomes great with high levels of mastery and that this is specifically said about it, I just can't recall if its Niman or Shii-Cho.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:16 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The_Tempest
Pre Vizsla.

I meant out of Force Users (or people who were at one point Force Users).

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:20 PM
Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
He was the first I thought of as well. The fact that he isn't even a force-adept, yet possesses sufficient swordsmanship to give top-tier Jedi/Sith a run for their money, is astounding.

Again, Niman masters aren't 'ineffective'. Get that notion out of your head.

Niman as a form is simply more impractical to master(relative to many of the other forms) because of the time it takes to perfect in comparison to what you're ultimately attaining. Ten years is a LONG time--it didn't take Mace Windu much longer than that to both develop and master Vaapad, for example.

Hence it being 'ineffective' in efficiently acquiring skill?

Plus as you said the bladework isn't its main priority, and would be at a massive disadvantage against Makashi.

Both are not compatible with what we know about Exar Kun who defeats 600 year old battlemasters in lightsaber battles while a padawan and was obsessed with acquiring power as quickly as possible.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:23 PM
Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Nephthys
Nope. I know theres a form that crappy but becomes great with high levels of mastery and that this is specifically said about it, I just can't recall if its Niman or Shii-Cho.
I've read through the Lightsaber Combat entries in Jedi/Sith-Essential Guide, Jedi Path, Fightsaber, and TCW Encyclopedia, and didn't see that verbiage for either form.

An excerpt pulled from Juyo is the only thing that sounds remotely close to what you're recalling: "Only high-level masters of multiple forms can achieve and control this discipline, which can lead to fantastic power and skill."

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:25 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
Hence it being 'ineffective' in efficiently acquiring skill?

Plus as you said the bladework isn't its main priority, and would be at a massive disadvantage against Makashi.

Both are not compatible with what we know about Exar Kun who defeats 600 year old battlemasters in lightsaber battles while a padawan and was obsessed with acquiring power as quickly as possible.
As was stated in multiple sources, before you acquaint yourself with Niman, you have already studied/mastered other forms of combat as well. No Jedi or Sith alive has only studied a single form--certainly Kun was no exception.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:28 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Eh, I just remember Cin Drallig calling Niman the least worthy of study of the seven forms, it seems odd then that the saber prodigy Exar Kun would then chose that as his form of choice.

The North Remembers

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:53 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Nah, Drallig says that its not the most worthy of study, but it is the most practical.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 05:55 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Lord Stark
Eh, I just remember Cin Drallig calling Niman the least worthy of study of the seven forms, it seems odd then that the saber prodigy Exar Kun would then chose that as his form of choice.
I would imagine that Niman being the fundamental form for Jar'Kai would also come in handy with a double-bladed saber. This might be why Kun and Maul both employed it. /shrug

Originally posted by Nephthys
Nah, Drallig says that its not the most worthy of study, but it is the most practical.
True, but he goes on to note Niman's perceived insufficientness in his very next breath.

Anywho, I can see why Niman may have been the most practical form in times of peace, but during the Clone Wars and beyond, forms that placed more emphasis on bladework would have been far more preferable--especially when you consider that they were also easier to perfect.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 07:04 PM
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Originally posted by Galan007
Anywho, I can see why Niman may have been the most practical form in times of peace, but during the Clone Wars and beyond, forms that placed more emphasis on bladework would have been far more preferable--especially when you consider that they were also easier to perfect.

You know there is one thing we forgot to take into account about Niman and Exar Kun, Remember that jedi version of Niman incorporates SIX of the lightsaber forms not seven, The order only taught Juyo/Vaapad to jedi they thought were highly trained to resist the dark elements of Juyo/Vaapad Such as Mace Windu. So judging by that we could say that Exar Kun-being a Sith Lord as well as a great duelist - would incorporate Juyo(The Vaapad of the old republic) into his version of Niman.
I believe this could be the reason why Exar Kun was so ferocious as a lightsaber duelist as well as one of the many reasons he is NOT 'The weakest link' on the sith team

Last edited by Fated Xtasy on Mar 19th, 2014 at 09:59 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 09:56 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

So you're implying Kun is greater than Vitiate or Sidious?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 10:05 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
You know there is one thing we forgot to take into account about Niman and Exar Kun, Remember that jedi version of Niman incorporates SIX of the lightsaber forms not seven, The order only taught Juyo/Vaapad to jedi they thought were highly trained to resist the dark elements of Juyo/Vaapad Such as Mace Windu. So judging by that we could say that Exar Kun-being a Sith Lord as well as a great duelist - would incorporate Juyo(The Vaapad of the old republic) into his version of Niman.
I believe this could be the reason why Exar Kun was so ferocious as a lightsaber duelist as well as one of the many reasons he is NOT 'The weakest link' on the sith team
Per Fightsaber, Niman is a combination of 4 Forms-- I, III, IV, V:
http://imgur.com/R4FEg9g
Both Makashi and Juyo are excluded.

I agree with the rest of your post, though.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 10:27 PM
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Originally posted by NewGuy01
So you're implying Kun is greater than Vitiate or Sidious?

NewGuy01, Im not implying anything, while as a duellist I do consider him above Vitiate,yes, but only because Vitiate has shown very little in terms of lightsaber prowess, in terms of force power..well there is a reason vitiate is emperor, however to say that he or Exar Kun are above Palpatine in terms of both lightsaber prowess and force potential is a bit of a stretch in my humble opinion

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 12:09 AM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
NewGuy01, Im not implying anything, while as a duellist I do consider him above Vitiate,yes, but only because Vitiate has shown very little in terms of lightsaber prowess, in terms of force power..well there is a reason vitiate is emperor, however to say that he or Exar Kun are above Palpatine in terms of both lightsaber prowess and force potential is a bit of a stretch in my humble opinion

You said that Exar Kun was not the weakest link on his side, which implies that he is greater than one of his teammates.

And yes, I would agree to the notion that Exar Kun is most definitely a better duelist than Vitiate, who doesn't even know how to properly hold a weapon.

And "a bit of a stretch" is something of an understatement, in my opinion. I mean, we're talking about the difference between a guy who blasts holes in walls and a guy who rips apart star fleets.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 05:33 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by chilled monkey
I imagine it went something like this:

VODO: Exar Kun, have you chosen a lightsabre form to specialize in?

EXAR: Yes Master Vodo. I shall specialize in Niman.

VODO: (thinks) Good. Perhaps he's finally learned to curb that competitive streak.

VODO: (aloud) A fine choice my apprentice.

EXAR: Thank you Master. I am certain I can raise the Form's level of bladework with sufficient training and when I do so the style's overall versatility will give me an edge.

VODO: (mutters) I should have known...

EXAR: What was that Master Vodo?

VODO: Nothing. Nothing at all.

I just imagine Makashi being the competitive duelist' form of choice. It certainly was for Dooku, and probably was integral in the techniques used by older characters such as Tulak Hord. In fact, the sheer amount of confirmed canon characters who don't use Makashi outside of the PT era is surprising, given its description as the pinnacle of lightsaber to lightsaber combat and an archaic tradition in Dooku's own time.

I seem to remember the very first Fightsaber article to be released (before the modified version which was later hosted on SW.com) indicated rather out of the blue that Exar Kun was a Makashi user. This was funny for two reasons: Kun predated the forms by many years, and Kun pretty much cleaved and smashed everything with his rage-induced strength, making him a better candidate for say, Form V.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 12:39 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by NewGuy01
You said that Exar Kun was not the weakest link on his side, which implies that he is greater than one of his teammates.

And yes, I would agree to the notion that Exar Kun is most definitely a better duelist than Vitiate, who doesn't even know how to properly hold a weapon.

And "a bit of a stretch" is something of an understatement, in my opinion. I mean, we're talking about the difference between a guy who blasts holes in walls and a guy who rips apart star fleets.

What makes you think that Vitiate doesn't even know how to properly hold a weapon? He knows how to use a lightsaber but he is so powerful that he doesn't feels the need to keep one.

---

Sith Lords are most likely to win this contest. Vitiate and Sidious put together are too overwhelming for virtually any contest, IMO.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 12:44 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

When was the last time Vitiate ever used a blade?

I get that he doesn't need one, but still; he has never used one in any source I have seen, which includes TOR and Revan.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 12:46 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
When was the last time Vitiate ever used a blade?

I get that he doesn't need one, but still; he has never used one in any source I have seen, which includes TOR and Revan.

Two events:

1. Picks up Revan's lightsaber, activates it and moves towards Revan to impale him. However, Surik knocks out the lightsaber from Vitiate's grasp just on time with a saber throw attack.

2. During second duel with HoT.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 12:50 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Fair enough. I did forget that part, perhaps because it was just so trivial.

It's like Thor picking up a toothpick on his way to stab a snail.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 01:07 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

He uses a lightsaber while possessing Kira too, even does a fancy twirl. Also all his clones use lightsabers in the final fight plus he is wearing one.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 01:12 PM
S_W_LeGenD

That fancy twirl implies sophistication, Vitiate seems to have good grasp of lightsaber dueling arts by this time.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 01:15 PM