KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil VII

Resident Evil VII
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Japanese developers suck nowadays.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:09 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Naw it's just the two or three that used to dominate here have fallen off. Plenty of Japanese game makers are still great they just were never the face of the industry here like things used to be in the console space

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:20 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Well yeah. My problem with them is that they are too stubborn/stuck in their old days ways.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:36 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

It's more that the Japanese audience has different tastes. Something's we no longer like as much still work there. And well Japan will always be their main focus which is why they are so quick to blame western audiences for just not getting it or causing their sales woes.

The markets have drifted farther apart.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:40 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
It's more that the Japanese audience has different tastes. Something's we no longer like as much still work there. And well Japan will always be their main focus which is why they are so quick to blame western audiences for just not getting it or causing their sales woes.

The markets have drifted farther apart.
And I'm really glad for that.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:42 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I'm not. Means they have more excuses to ignore the ones of us who still want those games. T_T

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:45 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It doesn't help that Square is letting the lunatics run the asylum now, or that Bioware has been steadily gaining more and more of the RPG market in the west.

Konami have gone to hell with PES and charging exorbitant prices for what's basically a demo.

Capcom... Holy ****, Capcom.

Namco... Meh.

They can do better; they just refuse to for some reason.

It doesn't help that the last decade to fifteen years or so has seen an insanely sharp rise in western studios putting out truly AAA games.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:47 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Capcom is getting better actually. And Namco while still weird is seeing the light and listening to fans more then it once did, even us western fans.

But like I said they are just nori how declines due to them used to be so dominate here. Now they are taking more of the slice the other Japanese studios have who never were shitty just weren't mega corporations. Japan being the biggest thing in all markets was never going to last as games became more accessible for people to make and the market got bigger and more mainstream.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:52 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Ok. The thing is I want them to try harder.

Thats all.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 10:53 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by -Pr-
It doesn't help that Square is letting the lunatics run the asylum now, or that Bioware has been steadily gaining more and more of the RPG market in the west.

Konami have gone to hell with PES and charging exorbitant prices for what's basically a demo.

Capcom... Holy ****, Capcom.

Namco... Meh.

They can do better; they just refuse to for some reason.

It doesn't help that the last decade to fifteen years or so has seen an insanely sharp rise in western studios putting out truly AAA games.

Also I'd say Bethesda is more responsible for the current western rpg explosion than bioware, even if I like their games less. We have everyone and their momma praising them, even bioware and several japanese studios being like "we looked at skyrim to find out what we were doing wrong" and before that it was oblivion getting lip service.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 12:48 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I like Elder Scroll games, but I find them to be over rated as all Hell.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 12:49 AM
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Originally posted by Zack Fair
I like Elder Scroll games, but I find them to be over rated as all Hell.

I really can't agree with this. They get universal praise, particularly Skyrim recently, but it was an absolutely incredible and amazing achievement/experience. I don't think it's a horrendous stretch when people label it one of the greatest of all time.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 12:52 AM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Yup same. I like Skyrim played a lot of it. But I don't like tha some game makers were acting like it was the perfect way to make a video game. And some studios had me worried with their talking about wanting to be more like it, even when it would go against the idea of their past games.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 12:52 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by The Renegade
I really can't agree with this. They get universal praise, particularly Skyrim recently, but it was an absolutely incredible and amazing achievement/experience. I don't think it's a horrendous stretch when people label it one of the greatest of all time.
Agree to disagree.

I recognize what it does right, but Elder Scrolls/Fallout type games are far from my idea of an excellent experience. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy them, because I did, but they need to work on how to make the main quests stand out more. Yes I am aware the games are more about exploration(which I like tbh) And that is kind of difficult with the scope of the game. I'd also get rid of annoying shit like getting encumbered lol.

Last edited by Zack Fair on Aug 8th, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 12:57 AM
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Originally posted by Zack Fair
Agree to disagree.

I recognize what it does right, but Elder Scrolls/Fallout type games are far from my idea of an excellent experience. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy them, because I did, but they need to work on how to make the main quests stand out more. Yes I am aware the games are more about exploration(which I like tbh) And that is kind of difficult with the scope of the game. I'd also get rid of annoying shit like getting encumbered lol.

That's fine, if it's far away from your subjective taste. However, Skyrim and most entries into the Elder Scrolls series are not overrated. These are, structually, sound video games that provide a variety of experiences. Sometimes, people's taste differ. The fact that yours does is great. It would be a pretty boring world if everyone loved Skyrim simply because it's great.

However, we cannot confuse our tastes with how well-designed and stable a work of art or work within media is, including games.

Get rid of getting encumbered? I'd like for it to be a bit more realistic but I hope you're not suggest an unlimited inventory! God, that would be a fucking mess. Haha.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 01:50 AM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I think the games are good and well designed tbh, but not the be all end all some make them out to be.

Then again most popular games have dumb people like that lol.

Last edited by Zack Fair on Aug 8th, 2014 at 02:21 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 02:17 AM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by The Renegade
Agreed. Skyrim was amazing. I will say though, that vanilla Skyrim wasn't even in my top ten games.

Modded Skyrim, on the other hand, is one of the most amazing video game experiences I've ever had. My god, that was perfection. Definitely one of the greatest video games of all time.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 03:50 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Capcom is getting better actually. And Namco while still weird is seeing the light and listening to fans more then it once did, even us western fans.

But like I said they are just nori how declines due to them used to be so dominate here. Now they are taking more of the slice the other Japanese studios have who never were shitty just weren't mega corporations. Japan being the biggest thing in all markets was never going to last as games became more accessible for people to make and the market got bigger and more mainstream.

Capcom still has a long way to go, imo.

Also I'd say Bethesda is more responsible for the current western rpg explosion than bioware, even if I like their games less. We have everyone and their momma praising them, even bioware and several japanese studios being like "we looked at skyrim to find out what we were doing wrong" and before that it was oblivion getting lip service.

Agreed @ Bethesda, I'd forgotten about them. I loved Fallout 3. Skyrim... With mods it's really good.

I do think it's overrated to an extent. Not to the extent that it's shit, but I wouldn't consider it one of the best games I've ever played either. Mods help it move up the list, but I still found the story to be a tad unfulfilling.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 09:32 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Yeah and the Japanese audience's are fine with the games being the same thing over and over

Originally posted by -Pr-

also with Hideo Kojima putting that Ground Zero's game which is basically the length of a demo and charging $50 for it

From Software & Grasshopper Manufacture are also two other decent Japanese Dev's nowadays.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 09:44 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I keep on wanting to get Ground Zeroes because a. no new games have been released lately and b. been itching to play a good looking new console game....

But I hold back it's still $35 bucks and there is no way I'm paying that for 2 hours of gameplay. As well, I know that EB and co. will give away Ground Zeroes when Phantom Pain comes out.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 01:32 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote