KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Mass Effect: Andromeda

Mass Effect: Andromeda
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (37): « First ... « 33 34 [35] 36 37 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Patrick Weekes is in charge of Dragon Age games now. It's in good hands, that franchise should be fine. He was one of the best writers in the OT of Mass Effect. I really wish he'd had helped write Andromeda, would have been a stronger game.

Old Post May 14th, 2017 09:26 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Patrick Weekes is in charge of Dragon Age games now. It's in good hands, that franchise should be fine. He was one of the best writers in the OT of Mass Effect. I really wish he'd had helped write Andromeda, would have been a stronger game.
A quick google tells me he wrote the entire mass effect trilogy. That is damn good news.

PWNT

Old Post May 14th, 2017 06:09 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

It was understandable why they'd not want to deal with the many variables that they'd have to take into account because of ME3's ending, and other choices in the game, though.
Them being so incompetent that they wrote themselves into a corner where they couldn't make a continuation of the series that capitalized on what the previous games set up isn't understandable Backfire, it's bad writing. thumb down

Old Post May 15th, 2017 02:09 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It's true, they did. I said from the start that I would rather them keep telling stories in the Milky way as there were a lot of great potential for stories still unexplored in the Milky way. It was understandable why they'd not want to deal with the many variables that they'd have to take into account because of ME3's ending, and other choices in the game, though. Maybe since Andromeda's future seems dim they'll move focus back to the Milky way.

I agree. I don't think ME is done. I think one more kick of the can will happen in the future. And due to the sales of ME:A, a new Mass Effect will not be as grand in scope which will ultimately make the product better. One problem with the game is it's almost too big and paint by numbers.

I think a neat story angle would be: start the game years later in Andromeda. A new initiative starts to go back to the Milky Way after finding out the real story behind the Initiative.

And then start the new game when they arrive back to the Milky Way.

Or just start a completely new story thousands of years later in the first trilogy universe.

Old Post May 15th, 2017 11:40 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Originally posted by NemeBro
Them being so incompetent that they wrote themselves into a corner where they couldn't make a continuation of the series that capitalized on what the previous games set up isn't understandable Backfire, it's bad writing. thumb down

Not really, quality aside, they wrote the ending of Mass Effect 3 as an actual ending, without taking into account any potential other games, since Mass Effect was envisioned as a trilogy and only a trilogy, and not a series that would go on infinitely. That has nothing to do with the quality of the writing of said ending, it just means they wrote it with the intention of a true finale.

Old Post May 15th, 2017 08:05 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Not really, quality aside, they wrote the ending of Mass Effect 3 as an actual ending, without taking into account any potential other games, since Mass Effect was envisioned as a trilogy and only a trilogy, and not a series that would go on infinitely. That has nothing to do with the quality of the writing of said ending, it just means they wrote it with the intention of a true finale.

It's really sad though, because humanity spent a little over a generation in space with the other Citadel races and then bam - cosmic horror story that changes everything. I think they built one of the best sci fi settings ever in the original game, and gave it depth and charm, only to ruin it with a premature spunk on the sheets.

I've played about 1/3rd of Andromeda. I keep forgetting to play it, mostly because it's not nearly as interesting as the first game. It doesn't dole out the lore and create depth. It has space orcs, some Avatar folk, and bland maps.

The multiplayer is great, and I enjoy that, but I could have bought that separately.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2017 06:49 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Bioware boss leaves, replaced by former Mass Effect director Casey Hudson. He's back.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/16...effect-director

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jul 19th, 2017 at 07:50 PM

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 07:41 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Good. He’s been behind some amazing games. ME3 is the only one of his games that I haven’t loved. Hopefully, he can get Bioware back on track. thumb up

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 08:30 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Really happy that Hudson is back and leading the company. Hopefully this means more Mass Effect, and better Mass Effect.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 08:31 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

For me it's a wait and see, but at the very least I would hope this means ME isn't as dead as some have said.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 08:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Say what you will about the ME3 ending, but at least Hudson had a clear vision for the series as a whole from the start that guided it to the end. From what I've read about the development of ME:A, one of the biggest issues with that game was a lack of clear vision which accounts for them having to start over multiple times during their 5 year development.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 09:11 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

It would be a sin to leave Andromeda as the series' last while Casey's back. They should definitely make another Mass Effect.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 09:18 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Say what you will about the ME3 ending, but at least Hudson had a clear vision for the series as a whole from the start that guided it to the end. From what I've read about the development of ME:A, one of the biggest issues with that game was a lack of clear vision which accounts for them having to start over multiple times during their 5 year development.

That's true, and is part of why I'm not cursing his name to high heavens right about now. Having the D-team work on Andromeda was a huge mistake, and if he is back to working on Mass Effect, hopefully that means we might see the series go back closer to its roots.

I know they're making a new Dragon Age too, which desperately needs to return to the older, darker tone of the first (and part of the second) iteration.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 12:01 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by -Pr-
That's true, and is part of why I'm not cursing his name to high heavens right about now. Having the D-team work on Andromeda was a huge mistake, and if he is back to working on Mass Effect, hopefully that means we might see the series go back closer to its roots.

I know they're making a new Dragon Age too, which desperately needs to return to the older, darker tone of the first (and part of the second) iteration.

DA: I was pretty dark, but much of it was hidden in the lore rather than spread out all over the floor for all to see. I rather liked it.

The ME 3 ending was a cluster**** of the worst order though. To take the emotional development of the first two games and dash its head against the rocks with a bullshit choose your ending which won't make sense made the trilogy really a downer. I think the devs really should have thought about investing in this amazing world building that they introduced in ME1 and actually fleshed it out before leaping right to the unstoppable cosmic horror story which left the universe shattered.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 06:48 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
DA: I was pretty dark, but much of it was hidden in the lore rather than spread out all over the floor for all to see. I rather liked it.

I didn't say it wasn't dark, just that it wasn't as brutally dark as Origins was.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 07:34 AM
BackFire

Originally posted by Stealth Moose

The ME 3 ending was a cluster**** of the worst order though. To take the emotional development of the first two games and dash its head against the rocks with a bullshit choose your ending which won't make sense made the trilogy really a downer. I think the devs really should have thought about investing in this amazing world building that they introduced in ME1 and actually fleshed it out before leaping right to the unstoppable cosmic horror story which left the universe shattered.

Well I don't agree, I think the ME3 ending was fitting to the tone of the rest of the series and that it was overall just fine, even before they patched it. I didn't really care for the last level as a whole and thought that was kind of a missed opportunity. But I didn't have a problem with the ending itself.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 10:08 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

The ending still felt contradictory to some stuff though IMO and from what I understand, the ending we got in ME3 was but Hudson's Plan B as the deadline approached and there wasn't time to do the original which had something to do with the red star you see by the planet Haestrom where you recruit Tali in ME2 IIRC.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 09:12 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

That's what happens when the lead writer on 1 and 2 (Drew Karpyshyn) doesn't get to bring his plans to fruition in 3.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 09:16 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

The original story had you deciding whether you wanted to work with the Reapers to figure out how to stop the sun from going supernova and wiping out everything. Or doing it in spite of them.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 09:22 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by KingD19
The original story had you deciding whether you wanted to work with the Reapers to figure out how to stop the sun from going supernova and wiping out everything. Or doing it in spite of them.

See? Now that sounds alot better sad

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jul 20th, 2017 at 09:39 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 09:37 PM